WWE-New Japan Pro Wrestling Rivalry

PlayTheGame

The Cerebral Assassin
I'm watching the Eddie Guerrero DVD right now and I just saw that WCW once did a cross-promotion with NJPW in the mid 90's that had the two promotions hold a wrestling tournament type thing to see who could win the wrestlers world cup. Does anyone else think that this would be great for the WWE to repeat and do today with NJPW (or maybe another foreign wrestling promotion)? I mean, it could make some great storylines for the WWE, maybe even an Invasion-type storyline in which its WWE, led by the likes of Cena and HHH, vs NJPW and some of its superstars. Some unique and entertaining matches could be made, and it could give some real purpose to a few episodes of either Raw or Smackdown. Of course, you'd probably have Cena win the thing, furthur pushing him as THE top star of the era, but I think it would be really great and entertaining, both in the ring and out of it.

What do you think of the idea?

Have to say no here. It would fail for the exact same reason the WCW one failed: no one had a damn clue who most of the Japanese guys were. We, as smarks, would know some of them, but for the most part fans would be clueless. Without an interesting storyline and feud to hook them, the fans couldn't care less about this. The matches would be ok, but that's all it would be. This just failed huge in WCW. In Japan it could work, but not over here.

The only way this could be successful is having NJPW being promoted over in the West. I personally know very little of the company, except I heard Japan-based wrestling is more technical, aggressive and can see some real scary moments (please tell me if I'm wrong and I apologise if I am).

It's much like feuding with TNA, Vince would see it as a weak front because a. He doesn't view them as true competition b. Not as much coverage as WWE

Japanese based wrestling is stiffer, but they are probably twenty times safer than many of the wrestlers in the WWE right now possibly ever with the possible exception of Bret Hart. They work hard and matches can be very good.

As for this idea over a cross promotion between NJPW and WWE. It has happened a couple of times in the past, there is an old match that has a very young Shane O'Mac reffing a tag match between a WWE tag team and a Japanese team. The other big one that occurred with the cross promotion is that Antonio Inoki actually won the title off of Bob Backlund around 1980. As for now, suggesting a cross promotion event with New Japan is going to be difficult since New Japan has a deal in place with TNA. However a cross promotional event with All Japan or NOAH could work. It would be a flop because of the way that the WWE is set up right now with the ignoring of all other Wrestling organizations full stop. This move would also damage the image that the WWE has as being purely entertainment because they would be cross promoting with a company that is from a country where wrestling is treated with the respect of a real sport.

I think WWE is too orientated in the entertainment department, and wouldnt see much entertainment potential. I have no doubt that someone like Hiroshi Tanahash or Shinsuki Nakamura would have 10 times greater ability than guys like Cena, Batista or Orton, but they lack that marketable aspect that most WWE competitors have, and besides, the WWE kids of today are ignorant and stupid, and recognize WWE as the only wrestling in the world, and they (seeing as WWE targets them more than before) would have a minimal reaction in them IMO.

It is a shame, because WWE is a popular outlet in Japan, and a deal like this would increasd that popularity. But i think this type of thing should stick in TNA

If they do a feud with NJPW we might as well just got start the fued with TNA.. hell 95% of the wrestles from NJPW are on the roster of TNA. It would be just a waste of time and im sure now one would really even care

Japanese based wrestling is stiffer, but they are probably twenty times safer than many of the wrestlers in the WWE right now possibly ever with the possible exception of Bret Hart. They work hard and matches can be very good.

As for this idea over a cross promotion between NJPW and WWE. It has happened a couple of times in the past, there is an old match that has a very young Shane O'Mac reffing a tag match between a WWE tag team and a Japanese team. The other big one that occurred with the cross promotion is that Antonio Inoki actually won the title off of Bob Backlund around 1980. As for now, suggesting a cross promotion event with New Japan is going to be difficult since New Japan has a deal in place with TNA. However a cross promotional event with All Japan or NOAH could work. It would be a flop because of the way that the WWE is set up right now with the ignoring of all other Wrestling organizations full stop. This move would also damage the image that the WWE has as being purely entertainment because they would be cross promoting with a company that is from a country where wrestling is treated with the respect of a real sport.

I don't think I could have said it better myself. While I would love to see some WWE wrestlers face off with some Japanese stars, there would just be nothing there for the majority of WWE's fans. As Shadowmancer said, puroresu is treated like a real sport in Japan. While this may be taking it a bit too far, I would argue that any Japanese company would find it insulting to do a cross-promotional show with WWE, given that WWE places so much value on the entertainment aspect of wrestling.

I think WWE is too orientated in the entertainment department, and wouldnt see much entertainment potential. I have no doubt that someone like Hiroshi Tanahash or Shinsuki Nakamura would have 10 times greater ability than guys like Cena, Batista or Orton,

Really? Because most Japanese wrestling lacks story telling. The Japanese wrestling I've seen is half spot fest, half slaps in an attempt to make enough noise to make the crowd go OOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!!

The WWE exists as a company where the stories, the in-ring action, and the crowd all interact to make a finished product. Japanese wrestling does not understand hwo to do anything other than put on an entertaining in ring product that is devoid of psychology and crowd interaction.

but they lack that marketable aspect that most WWE competitors have, and besides, the WWE kids of today are ignorant and stupid,

How so? Because they don't like Japanese wrestling? I don't like Japanese wrestling, and I neither ignorant, nor am I stupid. I just like things I can relate too, and Japanese wrestling isn't one of them. If I want to watch people kick each other for twenty minutes, I'll watch the Karate Kid. I can understand what Daniel-san is saying.

and recognize WWE as the only wrestling in the world, and they (seeing as WWE targets them more than before) would have a minimal reaction in them IMO.

It is a shame, because WWE is a popular outlet in Japan, and a deal like this would increasd that popularity. But i think this type of thing should stick in TNA

WWE is popular in Japan because it is superior. American wrestlers have always sold out Japanese venues and Japanese wrestlers have never sold out American venues. It's not xenophobia, ignorance, or stupidity. It has everything to do with superiority. If I want to watch a crazy spotfest, I have TLC on DVD.

I think a feud with All Japan would wrk better as they are the only company that i can think of that have been acknowledged by the wwe (when Chuck Palumbo came back Cole said something along the lines of "Chuck went over to All Japan Pro Wrestling were he made a name for himself)

but their is a major floor to this as a couple of people have pointed out that most of the WWE kids dont even know other companies exist as they are only interested in the WWE wrestlers. like when i was ten years old i thought it was WWE and WCW. i slowly learned about ECW and it was in 2002 wheni found FWA and learned more from their (when a wrestler was released i would only realise that they were gone if they were re hired like Eddie Guererro). but the only reason i found out about the other companies is because i wanted to learn about it and a normal wwe kid fan would not research other companies just so they can understand the reason behind a feud.

many thanks
WGB
:wcw:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back