WWE Has No Competition: A Myth?

DaNewGuy

Occasional Pre-Show
There's been an idea promoted since the buyout of WCW that WWE has no competition and therefore quality has slipped since viewers only have one option. Is this true?

Leaving aside debate about TNA, WWE competes everyday. They compete for ratings with other TV shows like CSI. They compete for ticket sales with the NBA, UFC, theatres, bands and cinemas. Surely on any given night its in WWE's interest to provide the best product possible so that people watch Raw rather than the NFL (or whatever is competing in that timeslot). Its in their best interests to put on the best possible product to draw a valuable live gate.

Plus, chances are that if your a fan for the wrestling you know about other wrestling companies out there, so in that respect WWE competes with TNA, ROH, NJPW, etc., or will do soon enough.

This leaves aside WWE's other activites, such as films, where they obviously compete with other film ventures.

So, WWE has no competition - truth or myth?

And, if WWE has no competition, what do you then blame for the perceived fall in quality of the product?

WWE has no competition = myth in my book.

WWE indoctrinates folks into their way of thinking. The WWE recount of WCW's history is a great example of this. WCW has been promoted by-and-large as a mis-managed company that Ted Turner ran and that only had a few good ideas that were either WWF rip-offs or that ideas that the WWE ultimately one-upped. Remembering WCW's pre-Turner history seems to just be irrelevent because of WWE's rewriting. Granted, the WWE some might argue, has some degree of right to do this as they are undoubtably the biggest wrestling company in America and most of the world. However, I've noticed that since the WWF first brought out WCW, it has done nothing but promote the fact that it is the only ride in the park.

When people think wrestling in the 2010's, people think WWE.
When wrestling fans think about the picture of wrestling, it normally breaks down to:
WWE, TNA and then ROH, NJPW, DG/DGUSA etc..

Wrestling aside, WWE is 'primarily entertainment' now, or at least they'd want you to think. They're a big company with high hopes for their films division [regardless of how good the films are, or how good you think they are]; they would want nothing but to see their film division take off. Therefore, that is some margin of competition, and also, they are lining themselves up for further competition in the future should WWE Films get bigger and bigger.

WWE and wrestling has a male-dominated audiience as well, and regardless of the family/PG era that alot of people like to talk about, males still fill the biggest portion. I would suggest that of course the WWE is in competition for that audience as well as the market of families.

Ultimately, you can look at this from any angle you chose. WWE has competition. They like you to believe they dont have competition until they win. Logic dictates that you want your buisness and all it's subsidies to be the biggest machine it can be and the WWE has the skills to do that. They have a lot of competition and they don't do too badly. I think it's foolish for anybody to suggest that they don't, however they might not have 'competition' on certain specific portions of their products such as "the casual wrestling fan" who may not know about TNA or the third tier promotions.

Myth. Just because TNA isn't ranking 3.0's on the Nielson scale doesn't mean they aren't doing anything to WWE. Fan's choose between TNA and WWE in terms of when to buy PPV's and favoritism so that's already a divided fanbase. There's also wrestlers that view TNA as a second option. Christian and Kurt Angle left WWE for TNA specifically and there's a good few in TNA that gave WWE a crack, so there's indeed an effect of competition among them. Far less violent and on a smaller scale than back from WCW and ECW but it is still there.

I think that depends on HOW you define "competition" in terms of this argument. Clearly, people who aren't wrestling fans have a myrid of other entertainment activities at their disposal if the quality of WWE should take a turn that they're unhappy with. I think that's a a given and I think those who claim that WWE has no competition aren't really talking about other forms of entertainment. Because that's more or less a given.

If we're talking about OTHER wrestling promotions, then things still get a bit fuzzy, because no promotion comes close to having the type of reach and influence that the WWE with people who consider themselves wrestling fans. As the biggest show in town, they can do things that other organizations can't and that's always going to give them a disadvantage. However, I think to say they have NO competition in terms of wrestling that one CAN watch is still silly because as already mentioned most actual wrestling fans know places to go when WWE starts to disappoint.

However, when fans say WWE has no competition I always thought they meant that WWE is currently not in any immediate danger of losing the particular spot they hold in the wrestling market. WWF and WCW were competing for the same number one, mainstream wrestling promotion spot and both organizations had become synonymous with professional wrestling at the time. There's currently no other organization that's currently matching WWE like WCW did back in it's heyday. Which means, for all intents and purposes, that WWE has no reasonable threat to the current niche spot they hold in the entertainment market. Which, in my opinion is certainly not a myth.

I agree with Soapguy here. It all depends on the how one perceives competition for the WWE. I see that the WWE does have competition on the level of entertainment during the same time slots that Raw/Smackdown air. Whereas the "Wrestling" aspect, they may not have competition during the same time slots, but they do have competition in TNA, ROH, and other organizations that are "lesser" known due to lack of TV exposure.

Myth. WWE does have competition, the OP and others covered concepts like UFC/Mainstream sports, and for those that want to cite MMA as a pro wrestling killer. I disagree, boxing and wrestling have co-existed for years, I feel MMA and wrestling can do the same.
There are also other television programs (cable and broadcast television is so much more than it was in previous eras of the wrestling business on top of it all) and genres within those programs as well that have been addressed, but I'd like to get onto the subject of wrestling specifically. Even if it’s not on a WCW level (But let’s be honest it has and always will be above an ECW level and more likely than not ROH but time will tell on that.)TNA is a competitor.

Albeit a small one, it’s the RC Cola to WWE’s Coca-Cola (You could put Pepsi in there because they’re pretty big too obviously, and I like them more but to be objective, I’m going to have to go with Coke as WWE’s analogue in this analogy.). And there’s no sin in saying that you like both either. Hell, I’ve stocked my fridge with both products in the past, and still will from time to time. Also, WWE even said themselves that they want to vie against other television programs on several occasions. The OP pointed this out rather well, but I do want to touch back on the subject of TNA as an alternative when it comes to WWE's wrestling ventures.

Some might and have said, "Why bother, TNA? You guys are just WWE-lite and have no shot in hell of ever being anything!", well when you look at how folks like Jimmy Hart couldn't keep a promotion of their own going for more than a few months, I'd say that TNA has done a lot better than other reputed names in the business at giving us an alternative to WWE's wrestling side of things. That's not to excuse or justify what I think at times is sub-par programming from TNA, but I still give credit where it's due and in the post-Monday Night War era, a company that can say they've been around for 10 years deserves some credit. That's still not to say that TNA is a booming venture (or that they are a mind blowing wrestling product from an entertainment standpoint either) because they could very well be having financial problems we don't know about, but either way, as a private enterprise no one here is privy to what TNA is making in the way of money or not making. If you say you're privy and don't have the proof, then you're full of shit. Which most of us posters on here typically are.

Then of course people laugh at the Carter Family/Panda Energy for helping to support Jeff Jarrett in his venture. Why fault a business group who wanted to help keep a promotion alive when alternatives like WCW and ECW were absorbed by Vince McMahon? It seems many smarks/fanboys will overlook the flubs that the WWF/E has made in the past, such as the World Bodybuilding Federation and the XFL. Of course, I can't put the WWE Films venture in that category because that has actually managed to last more than a year unlike the previous two ventures outside of Vince McMahon's comfort zone. Although one could argue that the steroid scandal of the early 90s didn't help the WBF's case, just the same it failed and failed miserably. If we're not going to cut the Carter family and Jeff Jarrett any slack, then why should we cut any for Vince McMahon when he's had some rather large embarrassments on his resume? However, I would like to expand a bit on the WWE films venture if I so may. While their movie ventures aren't a blockbuster enterprise, one can say that this film division is a marginal success in some ways. Even if Vince were to pull out of the movie business tomorrow, you can reckon that it wasn't a complete bust. Again a more successful venture in comparison to the XFL and the WBF at least.

However, I can guarantee a WWE fanboy would get red in the face and ********* if you in any way, shape or form criticized and trashed Vince's film division in the same way they would rip apart TNA's programming. I've seen turkeys like No Holds Barred and The Marine, and even as a kid despite being a Hogan mark, I thought No Holds Barred was Grade Z trash, it doesn't even deserve the distinction of a B film, because some B films are ACTUALLY good. Don't even get me started on The Marine, I am so glad that Al Pacino never got signed for the project like the rumor mill was stating, it'd have been a waste of his talents. Although I am disappointed to have seen as entertaining an actor like Robert Patrick do a film like this. So no matter what happens to TNA, the Carter family can say they've done a better job at promoting and sustaining a wrestling promotion than Vince ever did at crossing over into football or bodybuilding. As a staunch supporter of the World Wrestling Federation from the mid-1980s until the early 2000's, it's with a heavy hand that I would openly criticize an organization that brought me several awesome memories as a wrestling fan such as The Undertaker's Debut, Bret Hart's out of nowhere title win over Ric Flair in Saskatoon, Randy Savage's "Danger Zone" rants, Hulkamania, Rick Rude's IC Title win, and so on. But, I'm all about objectivity and I have to call it like I see it. WWE is a far from perfect enterprise, whether the fanboys want to admit it or not.

What makes me laugh and cringe at the same time with people who are unabashed haters of a product such as TNA's is when it comes to "future endeavored" talent or talent that decides to leave on their own accord when their contracts expire. They expect these so called WWE "rejects" to just give up on something that they've worked their whole lives to be. Granted, I've been known to put my foot in my mouth sometimes but call me out on it and I'll hold myself accountable, and own up to it. It's just a bad habit of mine and one I'll probably never break but I'm honest with myself about it. Most folks aren't, at least in my view.

But anyway, when it comes to this idea of former WWE talent in TNA, here's a newsflash to the keyboard warrior trolls out there in their parents' basement who are still sucking on mama's proverbial and figurative tit (Sidenote: For all I know there could be some literal occurrences of that, but if that's still going on at the age most of you morons are at, then I don't even want to get into the Oedipal implications of such a thing, that's another thread for another day.) not all these guys want to work for Ring Of Honor (which despite being some good wrestling is not in TNA's league, sorry to break it you "workrate" snobs) or go to Japan. While a lucrative prospect, you ever stop to think that some of these guys just don't want to uproot to the Orient and leave behind their Occidental culture? So if TNA is an option for them, why not take it? Several of these veterans like Sting, Kurt Angle, and Kevin Nash have been known to enjoy the lighter schedule and less necessity to travel. So if they want the TNA option, they'll take it. Also WWE has been known to pull their legends out of Indy shows at the last minute, while several TNA veteran talent have been known to still be able to make Indy dates when they commit to them. Therefore, I'm grateful that companies like TNA exist and allow their talent to not be so TIED up to them, that they can't accomodate their fans at meet and greets, and other events. And why fault veterans for such a thing? Before I'd criticize former WWE talent for going to TNA and in the case of legends shirking WWE Legends deals, I'd stop and think what it would be like if I was in their shoes as a professional wrestler, fuck using the term sports entertainer. The closest I'll ever get to using that term is wrestling superstar, you will never get me to abandon the word wrestling or any derivative of it. Those who are so quick to criticize these individuals, feel free to do so, you have an opinion and you're entitled to it, but if you're just a "fan" like I am, own up to that first and don't act like someone who knows the business and can relate to why these people choose the options they choose in the first place.

TNA's not the most original in the way of storylines, I admit that, but then again getting back to WWE's film projects, well let's just say they aren't exactly in the same league as Gone With The Wind or American Beauty either! WWE says they want to be a legitimate player in Hollywood, but when you really stop and think about it, I truly feel TNA is doing a better job at being a player in the wrestling business than WWE does at being a member of Tinseltown. Laugh at Spike TV all you want, but while WWE films have a two-day limited engagement in select cinemas with a one way trip to exclusivity on Wal-Mart store shelves (and then eventually the five dollar bins where they will collect dust and mildew), that's not exactly lighting Hollywood on fire. But again, things aren't built overnight either, people berate TNA fans and TNA performers when they make that statement about the organization. But I'm sure if you called out a WWE fanboy on the WWE films venture, they'd find a way to spin it but knowing how most are, they'd still fall flat on their hypocritical backside trying to.

TNA is on major cable systems EVERY WEEK. The numbers are nowhere near what Monday Night RAW does, but hey again like I said, after ten years not a bad run thus far. When the then-WWF got REALLY big, it was an ESTABLISHED business that Vince inherited from his father. While TNA has basically started from nothing. WWE has had time to cultivate a larger cable presence due to buying out competitors like WCW (who had a long standing history of their own by being established by previous owners like the Crockett family, much like Vince Sr, being (W)WWF/E's previous owner), expanding their programming and predating TNA by 40 plus years. That's not to take anything away from what Vince McMahon has accomplished because despite my dislike for several of WWE's recent years of programming, I have still enjoyed certain facets of their product.

I mean it's very possible that TNA will have some growth but still never be on part with WWE, despite the grandiose statements of those in the company such as Hulk Hogan, I mean let's face it by now we all know the guy makes outlandish statements, but in my opinion the joke's on all of us collectively in the IWC. I love the guy's character to death, but he's the ultimate troll in my opinion, and if my suspicions are correct that he's indeed trolling, then he's doing his job beautifully by saying the stupid shit he does. After all, a lot of the IWC love to dignify things he says, if you really are tired of the guy and the things he says just ignore him, don't go out and post things in response to what he says. Realistically, I think veterans like Hogan know that TNA can't do what companies like WCW did (by going right after WWF) because WCW was established and had over a half a century of existence (going back to the 1930s as Jim Crockett Promotions - WCW was not this new kid on the block when Hogan got there despite how much he did do for the place upon his debut), but being the over the top and eccentric person he is, he's going to say stupid shit. Granted, even I tire of it at times, but I know never to take it seriously.

Anyway back on point, TNA might take years to get to a WWE level or they might never get there at all. They might just remain a mere alternative but have a successful and comfortable place in the wrestling business. Again, I stand by my RC Cola analogy on this one, and at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with that. The only time a discussion like this really becomes a matter of contention or a big deal is when the marks blindly kiss the figurative ass of WWE and make them sound like they can do no wrong and that TNA or any other attempt at an alternative is pure shit. Because that's a very debatable matter. Bottom line there is still competition to WWE, it's a subjective term as others have pointed out but just the same it exists.

Truth

WWE has no competition right now. I know there's other shows and sports like the OP mentioned, but they're not fighting over the same exact audience. I view competition as two or more equal or close to rivals trying to beat each other out for a prize. WWE has no equal or close to rivals. TNA is the closest thing, and they're no longer even trying to compete WWE.

If TNA is competition to WWE, than Arena Football is competition to The NFL (hint; it's not)

WWE has competition if you look at it from the business side of competing within the entertainment realm for ratings, merchandise sales, attendance numbers etc. They are a multi billion dollar enterprise in the business of maintaining their status as the top dog within wrestling. WWE competes with TNA about as much as the NHL competes with the KHL. It doesn't. Does the NFL compete with the CFL? No. WWE is competitive in making money and competing with other forms of entertainment. But it does not need to put out an unstable product that has to differentiate itself or compete like crazy. What wrestling company is WWE competing with? TNA? Look at how much money and history WWE has. They could put TNA out of business if they wanted. So TNA is not really competition. Sir Jose Ole makes some great points I completely agree with when it comes to dumbass WWE obsessed fanboy smarks..but that doesn't make TNA real competition. TNA is like RC Cola right now. TNA has developed a history and is working on making profits. They may some day be legitimate competition for WWE. But WWE is a mega corp. TNA is just..hanging in there. The plug could be pulled any minute and that's why TNA is not 'real' competition. Only a TNA fanboy could wish such a thing. No matter how great a product TNA puts out or how much potential there is to be WCW of 1996. Or how much a TNA fan subjectively believes TNA is a better alternative. WWE is a giant, the be all and end all to about 85 percent of wrestling fans on this website. Subjective wishful thinking can't get in the way of the objective reality that WWE still has no real competition when it comes to wrestling entertainment. WWE has two different brands of wrestling entertainment. They have straight to DVD, turkey-rated movies made with some of their most well known stars. WWE owns the history of NWA/WCW which was authentic competition. WWE bought out all their competition when they were in competition when they were much smaller. Walmart did the same thing 50 years ago. WWE is like McDonalds in a world full of fast food restaurants no bigger than Chucky Cheeses. WWE is like Coke, WCW was like Pepsi and TNA and everything else wrestling oriented is like RC Cola. UFC, football, basketball etc is like energy drinks and everything else you can spend your money on is like alcohol. People love their coca cola, alcohol and energy drinks and there's no reason people can't have a little bit of everything in the course of a day. But this does impact on the less successful brands of drink. With the emergence of energy drinks, for example, there is less money to be made by pop manufactures not named Coca Cola or energy drink manufacturers not named Red Bull. I suppose Coca Cola 'competes' with RC Cola because it's a cheaper imitator that people looking to save 50 cents would prefer. But is RC Cola competing to put Coke out of business or really damage their profits? NO. It is only competing for about 5-10 percent of Coke's overall revenue. So, wrestling wise, WWE has no real competition. UFC could be seen as competition because a lot of people watch it. But so is football or boxing and both really never threatened WWE's financial objectives in the past. WWE, the business, is in competition to attract a larger male following, children, families and women. They want fans who watch boxing and UFC to also watch their product. They are in competition with everything else on TV and in merchandise sales etc. But, wrestling wise, no. NWA/WCW was WWE's last real competition in the sense of being matched or threatened. Saying WWE RAW competes with a TV show like Two and A Half Men is like saying that LeBron James competes with Sidney Crosby to better promote the sport they excel at. They're both competing in different realms, but they're not really in direct competition with each other. They're just both in different sports and being used by the media of each to gain television ratings and attract a fanbase. So, if you believe Chucky Cheese threatens McDonalds existence, or the corner store threatens Walmart, or RC Cola competes for nickels and dimes with Coca Cola then yes there's competition. But, really, I'd say that a giant corporation like Walmart or Coca Cola is in competition only so far as to try to steal every penny possible from the have nots so they don't get any real power to threaten their massive profits in the future. Just like WWE with TNA or ROH. That's not really competition. It's really just 'the business of going about wiping away' competition. Therefore, WWE has no real competition. I think I'm the first one here to declare that this 'WWE has no competition' notion is not a myth. It's a reality.

WWE has no wrestling competition.

TNA shoots itself in the foot more and more, WWE can pretty much ignore them outside possibly watching their more talented performers' contracts to look into picking up some semi-established talent.

NFL is obviously a big competitor, Monday Night Football comes around every fall, and people always link RAW ratings trying to say the product sucks more now etc... etc...

The problem with the style of competition affecting WWE is that they can't always change their product to be more tasteful than the others, in your examples, CSI.... If WWE tries to be a murder mystery it comes off as cheesy and hurts their main demographics entertainment value. NFL is a behemoth in itself that they're better off not trying to draw against, and rather try to maintain their audience that are still watching.

TNA and ROH combined are barely nibbling off WWE's viewership and have a long way to go before they can seriously compete... when iMPACT went to mondays, we saw how insignificant they were to WWE as they drew ridiculously low ratings when going head to head with RAW which inevitably put them back on Thursdays, there's very good reason why TNA is on a timeslot that isn't up against RAW or Smackdown, and that's because when it's direct competition, they lose viewers and money for no gain.

And, if WWE has no competition, what do you then blame for the perceived fall in quality of the product?

This question is going to bring about another endless debate of TV-14 vs. PG-TV. Just hope you are prepared for that. I personally don't think it has to do with PG or not PG. It's more to do with the quality of the stars. WWE had guys like Angle, Rock, Austin, 'Taker and Kane(in their prime). Not to mention the Dudleys, Edge and Christian, and the Hardys(before their drug issues). Compare that to the guys they have today and to be fair to the current roster, it's tough to fill the shoes of guys like that. Some are coming close, but it's taken more time than WWE wants it to.

Truth

WWE has no competition right now. I know there's other shows and sports like the OP mentioned, but they're not fighting over the same exact audience.

I wouldn't say they aren't fighting over the exact same audience. Despite the move towards being family friendly, the WWE's key demographic is still males between the age of 18-35 and those are the same people that watch UFC or NFL.

Here's the thing, WWE knows that there are only so many "entertainment dollars" to go around. Especially in a tougher economy like which we are experiencing now. They most likely see any form of entertainment as competition. Vince once said that he isn't in the "Wrestling business" he's in the "Entertainment business", he isn't concerned with competing against TNA or ROH because they aren't anywhere near their level. Hell, they aren't even close to the former wCw's level. Until some billionaire buys them and brings their production level up, TNA will never compete with WWE. But WWE will always try to compete with other forms of entertainment for your "entertainment dollars".

In terms of wrestling, they don't have competition that matters to them. If WWE is the NFL, TNA is NCAA Division II, their impact on WWE's revenue is insignificant.

Shows like American Idol, The Voice, and other shows do effect WWE but significantly enough either to be honest. Most of those shows are viewed by people over 30 and are usually females which is a very small demo for WWE (regardless of what they may say). WWE's competition is Monday Night Football.

But if you look at WWE's ratings during football season, basketball/hockey/baseball season their ratings stay the same anyway. Their PPV buys stay relatively consistant as well from what I have see reported.

It is easy to say that if certain shows didn't exist than WWE would have higher everything. But when Bell Satellite and ROgers Cable have over 500 channels for you to watch, it is unlikely too many people will choose to watch one channel anymore. Back in the late 90's, TV was no where near as advanced as it is now, so if anything its the evolution of TV that is WWE's competition, as it is all other shows though.

What is significant is the day of the week. TNA has more competition than WWE just by default cause they choose to run their show primetime on Thursdays which is the day best known for being a "good tv night"

Definitely a myth.

I can understand why people think they have no competition. I'm sure the WWE itself would clarify themselves as a tv show/entertainers whereas many fans sees it as a sport/wrestling organisation. It is both but if you single each market there is a range of competition.

If they were to regard themselves as a regular tv show on a monday night then there is a huge amount of competition. Not being from American i'm not sure but i'll almost certain that the sports market is massive and the WWE will find it very difficult to compete with the likes of the NFL and the potential of UFC.

There is no competition from TNA. In my opinion TNA has gone backwards from where they were. They have actually made their product worse. If they utilize their potential than they are able to compete but until then the WWE are laughing at any comments about a threat from TNA.

Truth.

Non wrestling shows are not in competition with wrestling shows. Same with sports. I don't buy the WWE being entertainment stuff. It is still looked at as wrestling by everything mainstream.

The E will always make their money off of the wrestling crowd.

TNA will never be competition. They keep repeating the same mistakes that other feds have done. You would think the ex-WCW guys would have learned a thing or two. But they didn't.

As far as wrestling goes we need to hope that some big player can come in like Ted Turner did. The chances of that happening are extremely slim. But that is the only chance the WWE has of getting any kind of competition.

WWE definitely has competition. It always has and most definitely always will. It competes with everything else on TV, in arenas, or on Pay Per View for your time and money. Many fans may decide they are going to watch something else instead of Monday Night RAW or Smackdown, most former fans from the attitude era and earlier have. They decided wrestling just doesn't appeal to them anymore so they went to watch things like American Idol, UFC, Jersey Shore, or whatever else appeals to them.

Some fans decided they still like wrestling, they just don't like WWE so they watch ROH, TNA, or local indy shows. Even current fans have to decide between WWE or their favorite sports team when their seasons are in session or they have to choose between going to a WWE show that's coming up or a concert that's coming up. They may decide instead of WWE to go to a movie. On pay per view they may decide they want to see an upcoming MMA fight or boxing match or some other wrestling fed's pay per views.

Fans only have so much time and money to devote to their entertainment and if WWE's product isn't appealing to them they can and will go elsewhere.

Myth. TNA may not be very competitive now, but that doesn't mean they never can be. As I said on another thread a while back, a bunch of people who know little about wrestling, TV ratings, or even being successful at anything in general aren't really in a place to say someone or something else can never be successful.

And quite frankly, WWE just isn't that good. They're product just isn't strong enough to hold people if something better comes along. Even now, the gap between the two promotions quality wise is minimal at best. Difference is that the WWE is still benefiting from an audience they built when their show was actually good. But people don't see this. They figure since WWE does 3.0s for Raw WWE is some juggernaut, because they don't know better.

I thought I was going to open this thread and see a TNA fan claiming the WWE was somehow in direct competition with the other wrestling promotion. Instead I wound up agreeing 100% with the OP.

It's true, the WWE competes with every other show in it's time slot. If it fails to entertain, people change the channel. That's why there is a ratings slump during the NFL season and usually it recovers a bit on the road to Wrestlemania and then sort of falls off again until summer time. There's a lot of options for casual viewers and the WWE competes for that audience each and every week. Just as the WWE competes to some degree with UFC and boxing for the ppv dollars. While they don't go head to head, they share a similiar demographic and there's only so many ppvs these people can buy at $60 a pop.

Fact.

TNA fans can say what they want but really everything the WWE has to offer towers over any possible competition and will continue to do so. TNA for a while was doing good before they let Hogan rape them from the inside out.

I would love to make a lengthy post on this but really theres not much to say. WWE hasn't been "amazing" for years and years but its still way better than the competition.

I will say Myth but in a different way. Competition is something that can result in the demise of an organization or cause it to lose its influence. Right now WWEs competition is itself. Look at WCW and ECW, neither one of those promotions died because of WWE. They both imploded from within. ECW with the bad financial decisions and horrible time with TNN (now spike TV) and WCW imploded from within because no one was left in charge and there was no organization to it.

Myth. UFC is the competition. It has taken a big portion of WWE's audience and is growing. Some people may not agree but there is a direct correlation with the rise in UFC and the losses of WWE which i think roughly began around 06-07. Paul Heyman also believes this.

There are any number of ways to take this. If you take it as literally as possible, then of course it's a myth and an absurd one at that. They have legit competition from the NFL, NBA, MLB, Pawn Stars, Swamp People, American Pickers, and a few others. These are all shows that draw big television audiences and/or sell lots of tickets to events.

If you're going strictly as to how WWE compares to other wrestling companies then, in my view, the WWE does have no competition when it comes down to the numbers. Fans can and always will debate which company is better just as they debate which sports teams are better, which tv show is better, which singer is better and all that. Quality is always subjective but the numbers aren't. TNA is often used as the measuring stick for WWE's competition as it's the #2 wrestling company in the United States. So using TNA as that measuring stick, look at some of those numbers:

The past 4 weeks, TNA has drawn under a 1.0 rating and has averaged somewhere around 1.4 million viewers, sometimes it's more and sometimes it's less. WWE generally stays around the 3.2-3.35 level in ratings and have averaged somewhere around 4.6-4.8 million viewers in the same time frame. That's not factoring in how many people record the shows and watch them later via DVR. I haven't read any DVR stats in a while but the last time I did, TNA generally averaged an additional 200,000 viewers through DVR while Raw got somewhere in the 350,000-400,000 range on average, at least that's how it was around the beginning of the year.

In terms of ppv buys, the WWE obviously draws more. TNA isn't a publicly traded company like WWE is so financial stuff is usually only posted as "rumors" or "backstage talk" writers get from their sources. According to what I read, Lockdown is said to have garnered around 14,000 buys. Also, according to what I've read, the average TNA ppv averages 7000 to 10,000 buys and Lockdown is one of TNA's biggest shows of the year. WWE has had two of its biggest ppvs of the year already in the Royal Rumble and WrestleMania. WrestleMania has been said to have drawn 1.3 million buys and the Royal Rumble around 450,000 buys. B-level WWE ppvs usually tend to draw somewhere around 200,000 buys on average.

In terms of house shows, it's not at all uncommon for WWE house shows to draw 7, 8, 10,000 fans to the show. For TNA house shows, it's not at all common for TNA to draw 1,000 fans here in the states. Most of the time, whenever I read any reports talking about house show attendance, TNA tends to fall somewhere around the 500 to 700 range.

So yes, WWE does actually have competition just as everything else on television does. If you're talking about competition in regards to other wrestling companies with a presence on television and all then, then yes WWE does have compettion. If you're talking about competition in terms of WWE's spot as the top drawing wrestling company goes, then the answer is undoubtedly no.

I do want to touch back on the subject of TNA as an alternative when it comes to WWE's wrestling ventures.

At the risk of turning this into a discussion of the validity of TNA's competition to WWE, I would agree that its fair to say that TNA competes with WWE. They deliver a very similar product in terms of style (I'm not going to engage in a debate about quality), producing a TV show and PPVs centred around the 'sports entertainment' style of pro-wrestling. (As opposed to, say ROH which is more 'match' focussed, or CZW promotions which focus more on straight violence.) Also, certainly since the arrival of Hogan to TNA their profile has risen significantly, not to mention the growth of the internet, informing people about alternatives. Obviously they're much smaller, and they're not really threatening WWE's top spot, but that doesn't mean that they aren't competition.

Myth. UFC is the competition. It has taken a big portion of WWE's audience and is growing. Some people may not agree but there is a direct correlation with the rise in UFC and the losses of WWE which i think roughly began around 06-07. Paul Heyman also believes this.

UFC is certainly a competitor to WWE. They produce similar programming - fighting. WWE may not be a legitimate fighting contest, but t is still based ostensibly around the idea of competition and wins and losses.

Here's the thing, WWE knows that there are only so many "entertainment dollars" to go around. Especially in a tougher economy like which we are experiencing now. They most likely see any form of entertainment as competition. Vince once said that he isn't in the "Wrestling business" he's in the "Entertainment business"

This is exactly what was meant in the OP. Wrestling is ultimately a subdivision of the entertainment business, like the film industry, like TV companies, like sports, like music. These different elements all compete for the same "entertainment dollars".

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back