• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Extreme Rules - WWE Intercontinental Championship: Bryan (c) VS Barrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Via a message on Twitter and updated info on Extreme Rules at WWE.com, Bryan vs. Barrett for the IC title is official. I was initially expecting a fourway dance featuring Bryan, Barrett, Ziggler & Sheamus, but Barrett's getting his 1 on 1 rematch.

It should be a strong, entertaining match all in all and I think this should be the end of it as it's time to move Bryan on. Based on his comments last night, I'm thinking that Sheamus vs. Dolph Ziggler will be added to the card later, a match that sees Sheamus likely come out on top, before Sheamus moves onto an IC title feud with Bryan.

Either way, their styles will likely fit well together and if we're lucky we'll get a little more out of Barrett vs. Bryan than just one PPV match. I'm fine with Sheamus being in line and getting a shot but I really want more than a one-off between Barrett and Bryan. Bryan to retain.

Should provide Barrett with his best ever match. Other than that it's hard to get excited. It's just leading to a Bryan match with Sheamus. 'Cus for some reason WWE think that's some kind of modern day Rock vs. Austin that we're all clamouring to see again.

That might've been Barrett's best match. Who knows, I can only name a couple of Nexus ones. He's such a forgettable performer.

Expect them to have a lame gimmick, Norcal. A tables match, strap match, something along those lines.

It's just leading to a Bryan match with Sheamus.

Say what you will, I'm looking forward to that match. I'd be looking forward to it a great deal more if it hadn't already been on Raw or SmackDown or whatever page I went onto on WWE.com to watch the highlights. When I asked for Bryan versus Lesnar and WWE responded by shoving me to the floor, resting its nuts on my head and inviting its friends to take pictures, Bryan versus Sheamus was my (distant) second choice. No, said the WWE, pulling my pants down for the world to see. You'll watch a mediocre ladder match, Sam, and you'll like it.

Barrett and Bryan? Sure. Better than me having to read everybody describe Dolph Ziggler as things he's not - e.g. the best, a show-stealer, a good wrestler, etc.

Bryan and Sheamus? They did that at Extreme Rules 2012 and it wasn't just Sheamus' best match ever, it was pretty good even for a Daniel Bryan match.

Via a message on Twitter and updated info on Extreme Rules at WWE.com, Bryan vs. Barrett for the IC title is official. I was initially expecting a fourway dance featuring Bryan, Barrett, Ziggler & Sheamus, but Barrett's getting his 1 on 1 rematch.

It should be a strong, entertaining match all in all and I think this should be the end of it as it's time to move Bryan on. Based on his comments last night, I'm thinking that Sheamus vs. Dolph Ziggler will be added to the card later, a match that sees Sheamus likely come out on top, before Sheamus moves onto an IC title feud with Bryan.

Yeah, predictable win for Bryan, especially after Wade signed a new movie deal. He's supposed to shoot a movie late Spring. What better way to write him off TV than another loss (sighs).

I definitely see Bryan vs. Sheamus finally happening. They put on great matches. It should be a good feud this summer.

Should provide Barrett with his best ever match. Other than that it's hard to get excited.

Well, that's the gist behind having a main event performer holding a minor championship, right? The company wants to raise the prestige of the title while giving midcard wrestlers a boost by having them go up against guys they don't normally get to fight. That being the case, it's tailor-made for someone like Wade Barrett.

Problem is, he's been cast strictly as a loser since his return from injury, even though they made him the IC champ (before the belt's prestige was raised, lol).

So, can anyone see him actually winning this match? Not very likely, yet, wouldn't it be something to see? After all, it's "only" the IC title.

As an attraction, it might be a hell of a good match.

Bad News Barrett he is a 5 time WWE Intercontinental Champion and if he wins at Extreme Rules winning the IC Title back then he will become a 6 time WWE Intercontinental Champion and seeing as how Bryan just won the IC Title back at Mania 31 in the Ladder Match I don't see him just losing the title just like that because I am sure they want to restore prestige to the title and with Bryan being a former WWE World Heavyweight Champion it makes sense to keep the title on Bryan so I see him retaining at Extreme Rules

I have a feeling that something's gonna happen with this situation. When the last time commentators mentioned this, which was on Raw this past Monday, it was said that Bryan was undergoing a "medical evaluation" that'd determine if this happened. There's been more than enough time to determine this, yet there's been absolutely no word since; there haven't even been any rumors concerning whether or not this match will take place or the results of this "evaluation." Of course, there's no way of knowing what the deal is until tonight, it's just that it's highly unusual that there hasn't been any further information or even any rumors of alleged information.

IF the match does take place, I could see it being over with quickly. If WWE wants to keep the title on Bryan and if he's only supposed to be out for another few weeks, it's possible he could go over Barrett in a quick bout, maybe even an outright squash. It's also possible that Barrett could win the title for the 6th time but what's the point? As much as a fan as I am of Barrett, the IC title has been an anchor around his neck, the poor guy's just flat out damaged goods as Intercontinental Champion.

I'd rather Bryan squash Barrett in a parody of his infamous Wrestlemania loss than Barrett take the belt again. Unfortunately, WWE bungled the booking with Barrett so badly that I see him as nothing but talent enhancement. He not only lost every match leading into Wrestlemania, but he also lost against noted jobbers R-Truth and Sin Cara. Even worse, the Intercontinental Championship storyline leading into Wrestlemania did not surround him, but instead focused on Bryan and Ziggler. I might be a little loose with this word, but that's the equivalent of a champion being buried.

My prediction is that this match get scrapped and so does Ziggler/Sheamus as a way of getting out of that awkward stipulation they made. In it's place is a 4-way featuring Barrett and Neville for the vacant I.C. title. Seems like the easiest option if Bryan is on the shelf.

My prediction is that this match get scrapped and so does Ziggler/Sheamus as a way of getting out of that awkward stipulation they made. In it's place is a 4-way featuring Barrett and Neville for the vacant I.C. title. Seems like the easiest option if Bryan is on the shelf.

I have to agree. They are still showing that this match is happening, but I really don't think it will. A fatal 4 way would be great for this PPV which is lacking somewhere, can't put my finger on it really. Last thing I want to see is Sheamus's white arse. I can live without that sight quite happily.

IF the match does take place, I could see it being over with quickly. If WWE wants to keep the title on Bryan and if he's only supposed to be out for another few weeks, it's possible he could go over Barrett in a quick bout, maybe even an outright squash.

An even more chilling thought is the idea of Barrett going over Bryan in a squash. If that unlikely event came to pass, it would surely indicate Daniel is going on the disabled list and staying there for a long, long time; that's the only way they'd pull a stunt like that.

Of course, they'd only do it if they wanted to put BNB over in a big way....and everything in the manner they've packaged him since he returned from injury screams that they have no intention of doing that. In fact, Barrett has shown himself to be so prone to injury that they'd have to really be optimists to give him a mega-push.

Of course, one of the reasons the company might have been avoiding even mentioning Daniel lately is that they're still truly uncertain as to whether he can perform tonight. Then again, there's the possibility they've known all along he'll be at Extreme Rules but want to keep the secret so he can get a huge fan reaction when he hits the runway. (Yes!)

At any rate, whether Daniel shows up or not, I can't see the logic of BNB winning the title against whomever he faces, unless they've decided in the past 3 weeks to completely rejuvenate his career and give him a mega-push. After all, if Bryan is out, they're gonna need someone to replace him, right?

Doesn't seem bloody likely it'll be Wade Barrett though, eh, mate?

I can see them using the Dean Douglas finish, of the guy getting the belt by forfeit then losing it immediately.

It fits into Barrett's mould to make Bryan hand the title over to him and lets them use the "Bad News" gimmick, he'll get nuclear heat from it.

Then they bring Neville out for the defence and he upsets him. The only thing Neville doesn't have that Bryan does is the "main event status" but match wise he can bring the exact same stuff they were looking for to the table in Bryan... he and Barrett feud for the summer with Sheamus in there and they can even use it to bring Balor up back up for a UK & Ireland style feud... making the IC title truely "intercontinental".

Neville has done EXTREMELY well so far, he's getting over, he's wowing the fans and brass alike and it certainly would pop NXT with a big show for them coming up if 2 former NXT champs hold 2 singles titles on the main roster. Hell why not an IC title defence from Neville at Takeover?

Barrett DESERVES the rub of squashing Bryan if he really can't go, but I just can't see them doing it, Neville is the next best thing... Sheamus would be boring, Dolph would be boring... this would put Barrett up to 6 reigns, he can win it at least once from Neville, that's seven. Realistically by Mania he could be on 9... and that's when you give him the big run with it and a feud with Jericho over who gets to 10 first... It'd be a great feud and final run for Jericho, with someone he can legit put over strong... Then Barrett can be done with the IC and hopefully the title picture is a little less muddled.

Barrett v Neville is a great feud for both guys for the summer but failing that, let Barrett nuke Bryan out and take MITB...he's more than earned a proper run.

Plan B I guess would be vacating it and holding King Of The Ring for it... but that defeats the "strengthening the belt idea..." Barrett at least can hold that belt till Summerslam off beating Bryan tonight, maybe longer... hell the IC champ as #1 contender AND with the briefcase would be perfect for him... use his IC title "shot" make the champ wear himself out, THEN cash in for the title... hell we can dream right lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back