wwe dubbing over music on old wcw shows

AnthonyM4

Getting Noticed By Management
Ok I can understand when they dub over "real music" when showing old wcw and ecw shows(i.e. Sandman's metallica song and voodoo child for Hogan's entrance), but why do they edit the generic themes wcw used in the late 80's/early 90s? IMO the music wcw used back then was better than the music wwf used. Does it bother anybody else when wwe does this?

I don’t watch a whole lot of WCW so I’m not sure if I would even notice. If I did notice it would annoy me. It really annoyed me when the WrestleMania collection was released and a lot of the music was dubbed over. Demolition, Big Boss Man, Hillbilly Jim, and Jimmy Snuka among others all had dubbed music. It may seem like such a small issue but I think it takes away from the authenticity of the event. Hearing a different theme for Demolition really took away from their awesome title win at WM6.

One thing I disagree with you on is which company had the better music. I thought the WWF had way better music. Besides the Four Horsemen, Harlem Heat, and Ricky Steamboat I think most WCW music was very generic or very cheesy. The WWF did a much better job of making the music fit the wrestler.

WCW had awesome theme music for their ppvs in the late 80s and early 90s! Mind you, these weren't popular songs sung by real bands. It was generic rock/metal music, but it was great. Everytime wwe airs a wcw ppv on classics on demand they inexplicably dub over the ppv theme music. Why?

I didn't realize you meant ppv themes. I thought you meant wrestler's entrance themes. I don't remember their ppv themes but yes that would annoy me if I was a WCW fan. I hate anything that is edited. If I'm watching a show from 1989 for example, I want everything as it was then. I want to feel like I'm back in that time watching it. Even small things like editing theme music takes away from that.

Rights to the music still have to be purchased if not made by the company itself. If you have noticed mainstream marketing uses the hardy boys music al ot. The WCW music was indicative of the times. WWE had Jimmy (Not little Jimmy) but Hart who made most of the music and kept the rights to most.

Rights to the music still have to be purchased if not made by the company itself. If you have noticed mainstream marketing uses the hardy boys music al ot. The WCW music was indicative of the times. WWE had Jimmy (Not little Jimmy) but Hart who made most of the music and kept the rights to most.

Thats not true at all..... every theme he made in the wwf is owned by wwe..... I have the summerslam box set n royal rumble set and those themes are on them.... and those sets were made after the wrestlemania anthology.

Honestly its Vince's ego as far as the wcw themes in wcw poverty not being played cause he does own all of those themes and he should use them cause wcw 91-96 themes were amazing.

I have actually heard the Hardy Boyz old WWF entrance music used on a couple of occasions on radio adverts. There is a music shop in Manchester that was advertising on local radio and I noticed that they had the Hardyz music in the background, which I thought was pretty strange, but cool.

I agree with most of the other posters here, I hate when the music for entrances or PPVs is changed, it takes something away from the show for me. I want original, DAMMIT!

I heard the use of Goldbergs WWE theme used in a WCW re-release in his match with Hogan or Raven or someone. Didn't really bother me at the time, but now looking back at it i actually do realize that is happening. Well picked sir.

Thats not true at all..... every theme he made in the wwf is owned by wwe..... I have the summerslam box set n royal rumble set and those themes are on them.... and those sets were made after the wrestlemania anthology.

Honestly its Vince's ego as far as the wcw themes in wcw poverty not being played cause he does own all of those themes and he should use them cause wcw 91-96 themes were amazing.

Not saying you are wrong with this but that was the deal WWE had with Jimmy Hart. The deal WCW had with him could be a completely different story. I would bet money on it that WWE just doesn't have the rights to the songs that are dubbed over...for whatever reason.

Not saying you are wrong with this but that was the deal WWE had with Jimmy Hart. The deal WCW had with him could be a completely different story. I would bet money on it that WWE just doesn't have the rights to the songs that are dubbed over...for whatever reason.

I guarantee he doesn't own those songs. That would mean he can put out a CD or for that matter his whole library.
If someone can reference anything that says he owns the songs I love to see it but no way Vince would let him keep ownership of them.

As far as wcw goes he did only a few themes for them.

I guarantee he doesn't own those songs. That would mean he can put out a CD or for that matter his whole library.
If someone can reference anything that says he owns the songs I love to see it but no way Vince would let him keep ownership of them.

As far as wcw goes he did only a few themes for them.

I don't think he owns any WWE music. I am talking strictly WCW, which I am not saying HE owns it. I am just saying that cause it was reference before. What I am saying is WWE DOESN'T own it or they would use it. Who knows maybe when Turner sold WCW maybe the music wasn't apart of the deal (I wouldn't see why though). What it comes down to though is the songs people are referring to, I am sure WWE doesn't have rights to.

I don't think he owns any WWE music. I am talking strictly WCW, which I am not saying HE owns it. I am just saying that cause it was reference before. What I am saying is WWE DOESN'T own it or they would use it. Who knows maybe when Turner sold WCW maybe the music wasn't apart of the deal (I wouldn't see why though). What it comes down to though is the songs people are referring to, I am sure WWE doesn't have rights to.
I know what your saying its just wrong.... Vince brought everything but the contracts of the overpriced wrestlers whose contract he didn't want to buy out.

It is openly known that if Vince didn't create it he's not a fan of it.

For example the only things that Vince used from wcw was the gold belt which he turned to world HWT title and the great American bash which he turned to just the bash.

I just got the official proof...... Vince let the NWO keep their theme and he did the same for Booker t its just that Booker had added ad-libs.

I very seriously doubt that the dubbing of the WCW ppv themes has anything to do with “Vince’s ego.” That’s just ridiculous. What kind of personal satisfaction could the man possibly take in dubbing over the original theme? I suppose you think Vince’s thought process goes something like this; “Damnit I won the wrestling war and put WCW out of business. I’m a multimillionaire and profit off their history which I purchased, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to let that sixty second original theme live on.” If it was a matter of ego Vince would just ignore WCW’s history and not bother ever showing it at all. Do you really think he’s willing to show an entire broadcast of his once rival promotion just so long as it doesn’t have the original theme song that most people probably don’t remember anyway? If that was the case maybe you can explain why the old WWF music that I mentioned earlier was dubbed over. By the way, when a television show is not released on dvd more times than not it is because of an issue with music rights. Same thing here I’m sure.

I very seriously doubt that the dubbing of the WCW ppv themes has anything to do with “Vince’s ego.” That’s just ridiculous. What kind of personal satisfaction could the man possibly take in dubbing over the original theme? I suppose you think Vince’s thought process goes something like this; “Damnit I won the wrestling war and put WCW out of business. I’m a multimillionaire and profit off their history which I purchased, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to let that sixty second original theme live on.” If it was a matter of ego Vince would just ignore WCW’s history and not bother ever showing it at all. Do you really think he’s willing to show an entire broadcast of his once rival promotion just so long as it doesn’t have the original theme song that most people probably don’t remember anyway? If that was the case maybe you can explain why the old WWF music that I mentioned earlier was dubbed over. By the way, when a television show is not released on dvd more times than not it is because of an issue with music rights. Same thing here I’m sure.

You do realize we are talking about Vince McMahon right?

Watch the McMahon DVD and any shoot interview with former employees and you will see his ego....... in this situation we can both be wrong and we can both be right but I know for a fact he owns wcw themes. As for the wwf ppv in question which one are you talking about?

BTW what full TV shows are on DVD cause I own over 75 wwe DVDs and they have tried to do full shows on DVD

You do realize we are talking about Vince McMahon right?

Watch the McMahon DVD and any shoot interview with former employees and you will see his ego....... in this situation we can both be wrong and we can both be right but I know for a fact he owns wcw themes. As for the wwf ppv in question which one are you talking about?

BTW what full TV shows are on DVD cause I own over 75 wwe DVDs and they have tried to do full shows on DVD

I know the reputation of Vince’s ego. I might agree if the topic was about something a little larger. I just don’t see how something as small as a ppv theme would have any effect on his ego. I think while Vince does have a big ego it does get exaggerated a lot around here. Do you really think he would be willing to actually hire Eric Bischoff after everything that went down but refuse to leave theme music alone? It doesn’t make sense.

The WWF themes I’m referring to are from the WrestleMania anthology. Hillbilly Jim, Ricky Steamboat, Demolition, Big Boss Man, Jimmy Snuka, among others had their original entrance music dubbed over. I know by the time the SummerSlam and Rumble sets came out most of those guys got their original music back. I can only assume that Vince obtained the rights to the music between the mania release and the SummerSlam and Rumble release. Even still Hillbilly Jim and Ricky Steamboat are always dubbed over to this day.

As for WCW I’m not actually referring to dvds. I’m referring to Classics on Demand which often showcases old WCW events including every Nitro.

The only song dub on those nitros is voodoo child and guys who came back to the company, ie big boss man....

They dubbed hillbillies music due to the godwins using the theme after him. As for steamboat do you remember his 80s theme honestly I would of dubbed it too. The theme we associate him with is the 91 wwf theme and his 92-94 wcw theme.

The only song dub on those nitros is voodoo child and guys who came back to the company, ie big boss man....

That’s my point. They only dub over music they do not have the rights to. I honestly don’t know which WCW ppv themes we’re talking about here so I can’t speak specifically for them. I’m just saying of all the things Vince can do to stroke his ego I highly doubt editing WCW ppv theme music is on the list. How would leaving the original music in possibly hurt Vince’s ego?

They dubbed hillbillies music due to the godwins using the theme after him. As for steamboat do you remember his 80s theme honestly I would of dubbed it too. The theme we associate him with is the 91 wwf theme and his 92-94 wcw theme.

Your theory about Hillbilly Jim’s music might make sense if it wasn’t also dubbed over for the Godwinns. Being from Chicago I most certainly do remember Steamboat’s 80s theme as it is the same theme that the Bulls are introduced to. It’s called Sirus and it’s on the Eye in the Sky album by The Alan Parsons Project. It is not owned by Vince McMahon which is why it is dubbed over on all the dvd releases.

The bottom line is we don’t know the legalities behind any of this. Of course we know something like Edge’s “Never Gonna Stop” theme is by Rob Zombie and therefore has been dubbed over on dvds. We don’t know the story behind the lesser known themes. Just because a big time artist did not compose the WCW ppv themes doesn’t mean Vince has rights to them even if they were composed for the sole purpose of that show. For example, let’s say I wrote the theme for Halloween Havoc 1994. Maybe I allowed WCW to use that for that year and was compensated for it. Seventeen years later Vince wants to put that event on dvd. He doesn’t want to compensate me so I’m not going to allow him to use my work. That’s all there is to it. I don’t know the real legalities behind it and neither do you. I’m just saying something as minor as changing a theme to a ppv that’s over a decade old has absolutely nothing to do with stroking Vince’s ego.

You keep bring up artists over and over and over again.
I'm not nor have I ever was bringing up those themes.... I talking about the themes made by Jimmy Hart and Jimmie Johnson whose been making there themes for 27 yrs with a few exceptions..... you keep up the same facts.
Also I do know some of legalities of it cause I saw Jimmy Hart at wrestlereunion and he actually talked about it extensively.
Thats why I joined this thread in the place.
Thats the bottom line

Its obvious why they do it, for simple business reasons and nothing else.

If they kept lets say, Another One Bites the Dust for JYD's theme song they would have to pay royalties and financial compensation to Queen or whoever owned the song currently. Not only that most fans wont even remember that JYD used that for his theme song so whats the point?

I know not what you mean and yes, sometimes it gets a little annoying, I remember buying RVD's One of a kind DVD and they didn't use Walk as his theme song. Not a big deal but man did it ever stick out like a sore thumb during the entrance, especially because RVD used to react to Walk so well it just looks like bad timing on the DVD but at the same time after the entrance is over, you are still watching the same, awesome match you did beforehand and that's what its all about.

Sure, it would be nice to just have all original music (like not replacing Eddie Guerrero's theme song in old WCW videos for example) but most people today would identify Eddie better with his "Viva La Rasa" song instead of that old generic one he had in WCW so why not?

At the end of the day its a simple business decision and the right one in my opinion. So what if Hogan comes out to nWo instead of Voodoo Child, in the long run does it really matter?

I hate the dubbed over music. For instance, if you have a Rey Mysterio dvd (produced by WWE, no brainer there), & on his WCW matches, his entrance music is his current theme or the "Who's That Jumping Out The Sky" theme. Really pisses me off.

Ok I think I know why wwe dubs over late 80s/early 90s entrance themes. WCW had a guy named Mark Hallman compose those themes and I guess he has the rights to them. In 94 wcw hired Jimmy Hart to produce some themes and those wwe can use. Even after they hired Jimmy Hart they used stock music that wwe dubs over today like Goldberg's old theme.

You keep bring up artists over and over and over again.
I'm not nor have I ever was bringing up those themes.... I talking about the themes made by Jimmy Hart and Jimmie Johnson whose been making there themes for 27 yrs with a few exceptions..... you keep up the same facts.
Also I do know some of legalities of it cause I saw Jimmy Hart at wrestlereunion and he actually talked about it extensively.
Thats why I joined this thread in the place.
Thats the bottom line

What did Jimmy Hart have to say? I'm very interested in what he had to say. Did he say he gave wwe rights to use the music he created?

I don't know if someone mentioned this before, but for Sting's entrances where he used "Seek & Destroy" by Metallica, they use Mike Knox's theme. I know Rey Mysterio & Goldberge were mentioned, but even Chris Jericho's theme from WCW( the Evenflow cover) is dubbed. I absolutely hate when WWE does any sort of dub. Have any of you seen the PPV Global Warning 2002? I saw it on YT, & to me, it sounded like one long dub, as if they redid the commentary & Tony Chimel's announcing, speaking of dubs, do you think in 10 years, they will dub CM Punk's theme when showing clips from wrestling now? I mean, they got the rights to use it, but I'm just saying. What about on PPV DVD's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back