• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE.com's Top 25 Matches Of 2014

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
The title of the thread pretty much says it all. WWE.com has announced its picks for the top matches of the year, made up of matches either on TV or ppv. As is expected of such a list, there are questionable entries to the list and there are obviously gonna be disagreements as to where some matches fall on the list. The list reads as such:

25. Daniel Bryan vs. Kane: WWE World Heavyweight Championship - Extreme Rules
24. Brie Bella vs. Stephanie McMahon - SummerSlam
23. Cesaro vs. Randy Orton - SmackDown! 2-14-14
22. Ziggler vs. Sheamus vs. Christian vs. Del Rio: WWE Intercontinental Championship - WWE Raw 3-24-14
21. Rollins vs. Ambrose vs. Ziggler vs. Kofi vs. Swagger vs. RVD: WWE World Heavyweight Championship MITB Ladder Match - Money in the Bank
20. The Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal - WrestleMania XXX
19. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar: WWE World Heavyweight Championship - SummerSlam
18. John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt: Last Man Standing - Payback
17. El Torrito vs. Hornswoggle: WeeLC Match - Extreme Rules
16. Bad News Barrett vs. Dolph Ziggler: WWE Intercontinental Championship - WWE Raw 6-23-14
15. Orton vs. Cena vs. Bryan vs. Cesaro vs. Christian vs. Sheamus: WWE World Heavyweight Championship Elimination Chamber Match - Elimination Chamber
14. Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins: Lumberjack Match - SummerSlam
13. John Cena vs. Cesaro - WWE Raw 2-17-14
12. Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt - Royal Rumble
11. Ziggler vs. Kidd vs. Cesaro: WWE Intercontinental Championship - SmackDown! 11-14-14
10. The Usos vs. Luke Harper & Erick Rowan: WWE Tag Team Championship 2 Out Of 3 Falls Match - Battleground
9. Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro - NXT Arrival
8. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H - WrestleMania XXX
7. Bryan vs. Orton vs. Batista: WWE World Heavyweight Championship - WrestleMania XXX
6. Charlotte vs. Natalya: NXT Women's Championship - NXT TakeOver
5. The Shield vs. Evolution - Extreme Rules
4. Neville vs. Zayn vs. Breeze vs. Kidd: NXT Championship - NXT TakeOver Fatal 4-Way
3. The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family - Elimination Chamber
2. Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn: NXT Championship - NXT TakeOver: R Evolution
1. Team Cena vs. Team Authority - Survivor Series

Definitely some great matches on the list. However, as to which shouldn't be on the list, in my opinion:

El Torrito vs. Hornswoggle - I MIGHT have been okay with this match being on the list if it was at #25. However, at #17? No...just hell no. Plus, the other top women's match in WWE, Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks, was nowhere to be found. If given a choice, I'd most definitely dump this bout in favor of that one.

Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal - It was a good match as far as battle royals go, but not good enough to be among the top 20 matches of the entire year.

Ziggler vs. Kidd vs. Cesaro - A damn fine match, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it was THAT good. MAYBE at #20 or something, but not at #11.

Personally, I don't see why Team Cena vs. Team Authority continues to get so much massive praise. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great match. It told a great story, was certainly the best traditional Survivor Series match in a while and featured Sting's first appearance. I can see it in the top 10, but I just don't see it in the top spot. There were just more exciting matches in my opinion

Not a bad list overall.... However, I still feel John Cena vs Cesaro should be higher on the list. That was one of the best matches of the year, and the fact it came on Free TV was icing on the cake,lMO. Both guys really gave their all in it.

As with most WWE.com lists this year, this was a much better list than I was expecting. It's a pretty accurate representation of the year's best matches.

I'd switch up the order a little bit, but I think they basically got the top ten matches dead on. The only matches that they have rated outside that range that I feel might have a strong argument to be included in that top ten are the Wyatt/Bryan match at the Rumble or the SummerSlam main event.

As for WeeLC, I honestly think it has a place on this list. I'm more disappointed to see that Stephanie/Brie got a spot for the divas while Charlotte/Sasha didn't. And that the Andre Battle Royal got a spot while Cesaro's match with Cena from the 7/28 Raw did not.

I thought the Wyatt-Bryan bout that opened Royal Rumble was an incredible showing. I would like to have seen that one in the top ten at least.

Happy to see that NXT got plenty of love, when I saw the title I honestly thought they wouldn't be there. Overall a pretty nice list, I don't agree with all of the choices (8 matches were worse than the WLC? Seriously?) and I'm sure we all have our own personal favorites that didn't make that list. But still a pretty solid list and a much better job than I expected out of them.

4 of the top ten matches were NXT matches. The formula down there of letting the wrestling do the talking works, because it keeps people entertained. The problem is that there will need to be a swing one way or the other. The knock on guys making the roster move is that the promos aren't strong, but the work is solid. Seeing as the roster shows are promo heavy and wrestling light, there might be a paradigm shift in NXT.

The list is alright but I would re-rank quite a few, as well as including several other matches I enjoyed much more this year. Most notably The Shield vs. Evolution from Payback, Ambrose vs. Rollins Street Fight from RAW, Ambrose vs. Rollins from Hell in a Cell, Harper vs. Ziggler Ladder Match, Cena vs. Rollins Tables Match & Ambrose vs. Wyatt from TLC. I also liked the 2nd ladder match from MitB for the Wolrd Title but most people seem to forget about that one.

Besides that the most obvious misplacement for me is the Survivor Series main event being #1. That match has been EXTREMELY overrated ever since it took place, winning the Slammy for Match of the Year & now being ranked #1 match of the year by the dot com staff. The last few minutes of the match was good but overall the match itself really wasn't anything special. It seems to me that the match is only being praised so much because it was Sting's WWE debut but even Sting's debut felt a little forced & drawn out to me. I'd be okay seeing it ranked around #25-#20 but even that is being sort of generous IMO.

Also I could see Zayn vs. Cesaro being ranked in the top few matches but besides that all the NXT matches are ranked a little higher than I would rank them.

If I understood well,Natalya vs Charlotte was a better match than Wrestlemania's main event. I agree that NXT has some great superstars and the other matches are just great and they deserve to be there. This match was good too,but it wasn't such a great match. Submission after submission after submission. I don't know if you agree but I think it shouldn't be on the list.

The title of the thread pretty much says it all. WWE.com has announced its picks for the top matches of the year, made up of matches either on TV or ppv. As is expected of such a list, there are questionable entries to the list and there are obviously gonna be disagreements as to where some matches fall on the list. The list reads as such:

25. Daniel Bryan vs. Kane: WWE World Heavyweight Championship - Extreme Rules
24. Brie Bella vs. Stephanie McMahon - SummerSlam
23. Cesaro vs. Randy Orton - SmackDown! 2-14-14
22. Ziggler vs. Sheamus vs. Christian vs. Del Rio: WWE Intercontinental Championship - WWE Raw 3-24-14
21. Rollins vs. Ambrose vs. Ziggler vs. Kofi vs. Swagger vs. RVD: WWE World Heavyweight Championship MITB Ladder Match - Money in the Bank
20. The Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal - WrestleMania XXX
19. John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar: WWE World Heavyweight Championship - SummerSlam
18. John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt: Last Man Standing - Payback
17. El Torrito vs. Hornswoggle: WeeLC Match - Extreme Rules
16. Bad News Barrett vs. Dolph Ziggler: WWE Intercontinental Championship - WWE Raw 6-23-14
15. Orton vs. Cena vs. Bryan vs. Cesaro vs. Christian vs. Sheamus: WWE World Heavyweight Championship Elimination Chamber Match - Elimination Chamber
14. Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins: Lumberjack Match - SummerSlam
13. John Cena vs. Cesaro - WWE Raw 2-17-14
12. Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt - Royal Rumble
11. Ziggler vs. Kidd vs. Cesaro: WWE Intercontinental Championship - SmackDown! 11-14-14
10. The Usos vs. Luke Harper & Erick Rowan: WWE Tag Team Championship 2 Out Of 3 Falls Match - Battleground
9. Sami Zayn vs. Cesaro - NXT Arrival
8. Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H - WrestleMania XXX
7. Bryan vs. Orton vs. Batista: WWE World Heavyweight Championship - WrestleMania XXX
6. Charlotte vs. Natalya: NXT Women's Championship - NXT TakeOver
5. The Shield vs. Evolution - Extreme Rules
4. Neville vs. Zayn vs. Breeze vs. Kidd: NXT Championship - NXT TakeOver Fatal 4-Way
3. The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family - Elimination Chamber
2. Adrian Neville vs. Sami Zayn: NXT Championship - NXT TakeOver: R Evolution
1. Team Cena vs. Team Authority - Survivor Series

Definitely some great matches on the list. However, as to which shouldn't be on the list, in my opinion:

El Torrito vs. Hornswoggle - I MIGHT have been okay with this match being on the list if it was at #25. However, at #17? No...just hell no. Plus, the other top women's match in WWE, Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks, was nowhere to be found. If given a choice, I'd most definitely dump this bout in favor of that one.

Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal - It was a good match as far as battle royals go, but not good enough to be among the top 20 matches of the entire year.

Ziggler vs. Kidd vs. Cesaro - A damn fine match, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it was THAT good. MAYBE at #20 or something, but not at #11.

Personally, I don't see why Team Cena vs. Team Authority continues to get so much massive praise. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great match. It told a great story, was certainly the best traditional Survivor Series match in a while and featured Sting's first appearance. I can see it in the top 10, but I just don't see it in the top spot. There were just more exciting matches in my opinion

The list is fine. I'm surprised they have a Divas match ranked so high and have so many Cesaro matches. I figured Shield/Cena/Bray would dominate the whole list. Goes to show WWE notices the people who do good work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back