WWE Capitol Punishment: CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbrownstone

Fucking Hostile
20110613_cp_rey_cmpunk.jpg

Forgive and forget? Not likely for either Rey Mysterio or CM Punk any time soon. The enemy pair rekindles its hotly contested rivalry at WWE Capitol Punishment in Washington, D.C.

Whether it was an eerily sung "Happy Birthday" to Rey's young daughter (WATCH), attempted unmasking or good old fashioned physical malice, Punk left an indelible impression on Mysterio that's now carried to Monday Night Raw.

Arguably, WWE's Ultimate Underdog prevailed in his months-long SmackDown struggle with CM Punk, who was forced into a mask himself as a result of one of the more memorable clashes between the two. Drafted to Raw, Mysterio quickly swung back into the sticky web of The Straight Edge Superstar, now the self-righteous liege of the nefarious New Nexus.

Previously, Punk captained The Straight Edge Society during his enmity-ridden rivalry with The Master of the 619. Today, the Chicago-born Superstar's ranks have evolved and grown, now including a beastly specimen in brute Mason Ryan as well as WWE Tag Team Champions David Otunga & Michael McGillicutty (who were, in fact, crowned after Punk's personal intervention) (WATCH). The yellow and black, “N”-armbanded faction may be unruly at times but also downright lethal if aligned under the guidance of Punk’s wristbanded fist. Perhaps not even WWE’s Ultimate Underdog can counter the odds of a belligerent army at the mercy of a malevolent leader like CM Punk.

Mysterio and Punk have traded blows, victories and losses thus far, but at the first-ever Capitol Punishment event, both competitors will seek a definitive triumph on the historic inaugural pay-per-view of its kind. Who will leave D.C. with the “W” in this fierce encounter? Tune in this Sunday, live on pay-per-view.

I feel the same way about this as I do about Kofi/Dolph, it should be a good-great match but at the end of the day who cares? There has been next to no build for this bar, these two hated each other in the past and now they are trading wins. Sure they have consistently great matches but why should I care when they have already had 2 matches on free TV in the past couple of weeks?

Punk will probably come out victorious here as part of the WWE's "please don't leave" push that he seems to be receiving.

Thoughts?

Sure they have consistently great matches but why should I care when they have already had 2 matches on free TV in the past couple of weeks?

They also feuded a fair bit on Smackdown last year with Rey shaving Punk along the way too, so it's hard to get real excited for this match when they had a good feud not that long ago, where at least something was on the line. I also don't see a win or loss for either guy really mattering so much; Punk is supposedly stalling on his deal because of an issue with keeping the rights to his name, so in-ring performances don't seem to factor into his want to stay.

The whole card of Capitol Punishment so far just looks a bit too bland really. Kofi and Ziggler as well as Punk and Mysterio are the most likely in my eyes to put on the best matches, but the lack of build with K/Z almost mirrors Kofi's win over Seamus for the US Title which doesn't fill me with hope, and as mentioned previously Punk and Mysterio have already had a good feud far too recently for this match to matter.

Both Rey/Punk and Kofi/Ziggler are two of the MAIN FEUDS of Smackdown 2010.

They should just add Big Show vs. Jack Swagger to Capitol Punishment and solidify this PPV as the "Smackdown Rewind!"

I like the two making a match, but I'm not sure what the outcome is going to be because Punk could be leaving or this could be a way to keep him in WWE. I'm going for Punk because hes one of my favourites, but when it comes down for who I truly think will win, I really don't know. Thats actually what makes this a good match to get in to. Unpredictable and hopefully clean. Maybe CM Punk because John Cena had just put him over on Raw.

The company doesn't really have anything for Punk to do in this PPV, but they're darned if they can leave him off the card.....not at a time when he's considering leaving the company (if he really is).

All of this is a prelude to a big-time feud with John Cena, a hint of which was given last night on RAW. Of course, Cena has business of his own to finish Sunday. Then, he'll be free to work with Punk. Therefore, Punk's meeting against Mysterio is virtually meaningless because it isn't taking us anywhere after the match is over.

It will be more interesting to see at Cena-Punk feud, especially since that may wind up in his true-life departure from WWE. Or, if Punk chooses not to leave the company, a well-worked program might help improve his attitude toward his current employer since he's obviously had a bug up his ass about something.

But Punk-Mysterio?.....It's filler, nothing more. A throw-away match masquerading as a PPV feature event.

I am somewhat interested to see this match even with the lack of build up because the outcome of this match is somewhat unclear. Punk lost his last encounter against Rey but he won against Cena on this week's edition of Raw. Rey lost to R-Truth at the last PPV and Rey Mysterio is a pretty big name in the WWE these days. Big names like Mysterio do not lose two matches on the trot on PPV's. Then again if Cena is going to feud with Punk, it makes little sense to make Punk look weak heading into the big feud. So, I do not have much of an idea as to who would win the match.

What I do know that this could very well be the second best match of the night after Orton vs Christian.

I saw this match already, it was at WrestleMania, not too shabby actually. WWE could have put together worse filler matches but maybe this match could really be more than filler. This match could spring Punk back up into the main event.

So Sunday night Rey and Punk have a match, tons of awesome spots and false finishes should be expected. Maybe Nexus cuts in or maybe they don't as a way to somehow retaliate but I really don't care either way. I will actually be cheering for Punk though. So lets put him down as a win.

Then we have Cena and R-Truth's match, I sincerly hope it does well. Maybe Truth has been hitting the treadmill. So this won't be too bad either, both superstars will be doing what they are suppose to. Truth will just be domintating Cena and Cena will just be taking it for most of it, you know the formula. How I'd like to see it finish though is to have John Morrison come out and screw over Truth and give Cena the win, depending if Jomo is well enough to compete now.

Now this will leave JoMo and Truth to feud with each other and Punk can easily come in and take the first contender's spot since he beat Rey. Yeah there will probably be some matches to determin the first contendor but that's just a formality. I can see Punk and Cena feuding through Money in the Bank and to SummerSlam with Punk eventually winning the big one somewhere in all of that. Then depending on wether his contract is up or not Punk could go out Jericho style and lose in a You're Fired match. Personally I hope Punk stays but this match at Capitol Punishment could very easily lead to his last main event push.

Mustang Sally said correctly, this is nothing but a filler. We have seen this match many times but unlike Taker/Kane, this long feud/match is pretty good actually. These two have put pretty good matches in the past. Even their recent encounters on RAW have been pretty solids.

Now, you gotta take in count the fact that, in this recent feud, they are 1-1, each have a victory on the other. So that makes me wonder who will win this. Like Myriad said, it could go either way, Rey is a huge name and it isn't the kind of guy who loses two PPV matches on row. On the other hand Punk is, but if he is in his way out and he is having or will have a big push, he needs this win on a PPV.

Unless of course, Rey wins here and the next night on RAW, assuming Cena retains, there's a number one contender match where both Punk and Rey are involved and Punk wins.

That being said, it's going to be a great match to see. I agree that it could be the second match of the night behind Christian/Orton.

This match should be a fun one to watch. We have seen these two lock it up a couple times and they always out do themselves. Mysterio and Punk both are phenomenal workers and can put on an excellent match with whomever they are working with. Them being in a match on pay-per-view means they get that much more time to showcase their abilities. I like matches like this; not really a story to them even though the two superstars have a huge history with each other. They share great chemistry and I do not give a flying fuck about who comes out the victor here.

Hamler's Prediction – Rey Mysterio

Punk and Mysterio can always deliver a good or great match, and I don't think anything will be different here. This should be an outstanding contest, and I wouldn't be surprised if these two give us the match of the night. I would love to see Punk walk away with the victory here, but I'm picking Mysterio to win this. It's hard to figure out what the future holds for both men. Punk and Mysterio are worthy WWE Championship contenders, but I don't think they'll be inserted into the title picture just yet. They won't fade away into obscurity, but I don't think either man will be going up against John Cena anytime soon.

What the fuck is this? Do shit we have done a thousand times before night?

This will be good to great, but as I said earlier, something we have seen upteenth times, and unlike Ziggles and Kofi, these guys are actually LOWER this year than last year. If they truly want to push Punk to the moon and do his program with Cena before he leaves for a while, he needs to win this.

If he loses (which would be entirely pointless) then Punk is gone for sure.

CM Punk.......All day everyday please rey rey just go away

Argh another loverboy!!

I don't really understand the story for this match, are they using their last feud to gain some viewers here?
I don't want to see CM Punk vs Mysterio all over again, please, I'm almost crying...
WWE is using a lot of recent feuds again.

I think that CM Punk will win here, since Rey Mysterio is now a tool to elevate guys for WWE Championship matches.
The Nexus will destroy Rey Rey after the match, and they will make fans happy (WTF happy by a face lose?)

Future Prediction - CM Punk

Not looking forward to this match whatsoever. It is a filler feud and a rematch of a feud last year brought to us by lazy booking. Punk is supposedly on his way out, so I expect Mysterio to squash him in a one sided match. It's my likely pick for the match I go to the fridge for a snack during because WWE has done absolutely nothing to make me care about it. I would care more if Punk had a chance of winning but I highly doubt it.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
Rey Mysterio will defeat CM Punk

This should be a fun match. Just about all the Mysterio/Punk matches we've seen have been very good. While I'm not taking anything away from either of these guys, the problem is that I'm not emotionally invested in this feud if you can even call it that. The match should be good but it feels like it was thrown on the card for the hell of it. I'm pulling for Punk in this match but I won't be surprised if Mysterio comes out the winner.

These guys keep wrestling each other, and I keep loving it. It doesn't get old when you've got workers with such great chemistry together like these two have. Hopefully they give them a good 20 minutes instead of the usual 10 so they can really build a great match for the fans. The WWE seem keen on trying to convince Punk to stick around (obviously), so I could easily see them giving him the win here.

The build to this match has been pretty simple, yet effective. It reminds me of their feud from last year, without the stipulations. The old adage of "If you have a gimmick use it" has been fully on display here. Punk, like last year, defeated Mysterio when his interference from stablemates paid off. When it backfired, or Punk got overconfident, Mysterio has won. That's taking full advantage of one's gimmick.

I think the outcome of Raw's main event on Monday made the outcome of this match clear. With Punk defeating John Cena in about the cleanest way Cena loses, I expect him to be in line next for a feud for the title with Cena. Losing to Rey here would be counterproductive to that. That being said, this is the match on the card Im looking forward to second most, behind Orton and Christian. Rey and Punk just seem incapable of having bad matches together. I expect to see Nexus banned from ringside and Punk continue to be asserted as his "own man", and defeat Mysterio clean with the GTS. Mysterio is one man who can suffer losses without losing anything, and i expect him to lose clean for the second straight PPV, with his opponent being propelled into the main event following.

LSN's Prediction: CM Punk will defeat Rey Mysterio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back