• André the Giant

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
Stone Cold Steve Austin
StoneCold_Steve_Austin.jpg

ustin is one of the pioneers of the Attitude Era of the WWE. He has feuded with some the the best in the business. He has held numerous titles in WCW and WWE. He has also been given many awards by both PWI and WON that inculde Feud of the year, Match of the year, and Rookie of the year.

André the Giant
Wrld-andre01-1.jpg

The Most Legendary Big Man in wrestling History. He is most well known for his legendary match against Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania 3. He has held titles all over the World including Australia, Canada and Japan. He also has the dubious honor of being the Shortest reigning WWE Champion in history due to the fact that he handed the title over to Ted Dibiase seconds after he won it from Hulk Hogan. He also has the honor of being the first person ever to be inducted into the WWE HoF back in 1993.

Steve Austin wins by a mile. Andre may hae been a big man but he was nothing more. Most fans dont even think of Andre when they think about the best wrestlers of all time. On the other side Steve Austin is one of the most popular wrestlers ever. He was a seven time WWF champion and his name is synomonous with pro wrestling. Austin revolutionized the face character in the WWE and had countless classic matches. Andre the Giant did neither of those. My vote goes to Steve Austin

No, most fans under the age of 15 don't remember Andre the Giant. Ask anyone my age or older, chances are they remember Andre. Hell, I only remember Andre vaguely from the tale end of his career.

Andre the Giant was a bigger global star in his time then Steve Austin could have ever hoped to have been. Not only that, Andre was over for a whole decade more then Austin ever was. Andre was a mainstay in the WWWF throughout the 70's, and became a reliable older face of the company during Vince Jr.s reign.

There's a reason Andre was teh first Inductee into the WWF Hall of Fame, because only a man like andre could open such a thing. People give Hogan much props for building Wrestlemania into what it was, but people tend to not give Andre the proper credit for being on the opposite side of the vs. at Wrestlemania 3.

Now I wasn't old enough to appreciate the word of André The Giant, so obviously I've voted for Austin, because he, along with a few others took the WWE from the lowest point it has ever been, and pretty much close to failure, and taken them into the BIGGEST wrestling promotion of all time. Austin had many, many amazing matches that kept you on the edge of your seat, and his character was just un-matched.

Obviously, I may not know a lot about André but I know enough to say he was a huge superstar. No pun intended. He was a superstar, larger than life, and as Shock said, they opened the HoF because of him, which just goes to show what an impact he made.

I voted Stone Cold, not because I have anything against Andre, but because more will be remembered about Austin 10 years after his career, than 10 years after Andre's.

Ask anyone 18-35 about Andre, and you get "the guy Hogan slammed".

Ask anyone in the same range about Austin, and you get:

"Remember when he pulled the beer truck up to the ring?"
"Remember when he hit Vince with the bedpan?"
"Remember when he blacked out from the sharpshooter?"
"Remember when he stunned Linda?"
"Remember him losing to Vince in the Rumble?"

Andre is definitely a legend, but Austin carried a company until The Rock and HHH were ready to take over...

What Austin did for the company was indeed great. He did carry the company on his back for almost two years and brought wrestling to a height that it never had been to before. He has more titles, more awards, and more accomplishment than almost anyone else in wrestling history. That being said, he shouldn't get a single vote.

Andre the Giant was literally the biggest thing in pro wrestling for a long long time. People rave about what Hogan did at WM 3, and looking back Hogan was destined to be the biggest star of all time. Coming into that match though, there was a great chance that Andre could win. Austin carried the company on his back, but it was Andre that picked it up off the ground so taht it could be placed on Austin's back. He went into that ring in Pontiac, Michigan and did the greatest job of all time when he literally could have done anything he wanted in that match. FOr that alone, he should win.

Stone Cold Steve Austin

It has to be...when you ask someone who the biggest star of all time is you either get Hogan or Austin. Not Andre. Andre i think was most impressive for his size. With Austin you get memories from in the ring such as passing out at Mania in the sharpshooter for instance. That is definitely one of those images no one can ever forget. When you say Andre to me i think of his match at WM3 against Hogan. When you ask me about Austin, you can list dozens of memories he created evenn if it was less than a decade while he was on top of the wrestling world. Arguably in wrestlings golden period as in popularity, sales figures, and fans he was the person out of the WWF and WCW you had to turn on the tv every monday night to see what he was going to do.

Andre the Giant was literally the biggest thing in pro wrestling for a long long time. People rave about what Hogan did at WM 3, and looking back Hogan was destined to be the biggest star of all time. Coming into that match though, there was a great chance that Andre could win. Austin carried the company on his back, but it was Andre that picked it up off the ground so taht it could be placed on Austin's back. He went into that ring in Pontiac, Michigan and did the greatest job of all time when he literally could have done anything he wanted in that match. FOr that alone, he should win.

This member pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say. I know it's late to post in this particular thread now that the polling is closed, but I still want to say what's on my mind. First of all, what is the purpose of these kinds of tournaments that put wrestlers against one another? Is it to see who has the most fans on a particular forum? Because any validity that this particular tournament had was thrown out the window when Stone Cold defeated someone like Andre the Giant, in a poll that asks who is the bigger legend. I mean seriously, where does one begin to explain how ludicrous it is for people to actually think that Steve Austin is a bigger Legend that Andre the Giant. Austin carried the company for what 5 years? I don't know exactly because you had The Rock in there as well. Andre the Giant carried the WWF from the mid 70's all the way to the 80's where Hogan helped him carry it. I don't mean to to say that Andre the Giant was alone in helping the WWWF or WWF succeed in his era, because there were other greats like Backlund, Sammartino, Ernie Ladd, Snuka, Superstar Billy Graham...etc. Just saying that even with all those great superstars, Andre was still more often than not the biggest attraction everywhere he went. Andre the Giant sold out arenas everywhere on Earth during his era. He was a bigger draw than Austin and more people on Earth know who Andre the Giant is than who Stone Cold is. He participated in the most famous match in history. And I hate when people mention that all Andre is remembered for is his match at Mania III. Andre had great feuds with Studd, The Sheik, Killer Khan, its just those pale in comparison when compared to his huge feud with Hogan.

His match at Wrestlemania III is to wrestling what the Chariot Race in Ben-Hur is to film, both are so legendary that they are somewhat mythical in nature. I don’t know how driving a beer truck into an arena can even remotely compare to Mania III. Andre the Giant is, was and will forever be the big man that all other big men will be judged by. Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan's rematch on Saturday Night's main event drew 33 MILLION!!!!! people. You could give away each Wrestlemania Austin headlined for free and it wouldn't get anything close to that. I'm not saying that it was only Andre who drew that 33 million, because Hogan definitely played a part, but nevertheless, Austin and Rock couldn't draw anything close to that. Andre the Giant's presence and character alone are enough to overshadow any other wrestler in history except for Hogan when it comes to Legendary status.

For goodness' sake, the man has his own posse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back