WWE Backlash: WWE United States Championship - Kevin Owens (c) VS AJ Styles

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
WWE.com officially confirmed that Owens and Styles will meet at Backlash for the US title in what will almost certainly be the most anticipated match on the card. Expectations are high and if Vince tells them to go out there and just kill it, then the match has classic written all over it.

As to who comes out with the title, I'm not entirely sure because WWE has been throwing a few curves lately. For instance, not many felt that Jericho would win the title at Payback but it happened only for him to drop it back to Owens last night on SmackDown Live. I'd like to see Owens retain the title because it needs some stability in my opinion. It was all but forgotten during WrestleMania season, even as part of the build for Jericho vs. Owens for the title, and a championship changing hands 4 times in just over in roughly 7 weeks is unacceptable in my eyes. I'm a fan of Styles, but I think Owens needs the win here more than he does.

If this match is given enough time, say 15-20 minutes, it could easily be a classic match. Both Kevin Owens and AJ Styles are phenomenal wrestlers.

I just can't get why Jericho regained the title just to lose it after 2 days. 50-50 booking, I guess. But it wasn't a good decision.

I don't see AJ Styles winning this match. I think that AJ Styles will be more viable contender for Money In The Bank briefcase as that PPV isn't much time away. I expect these two steal the show. Stealing it might be easier since Jinder Mahal is the one facing Randy Orton in the main event.

Yeah I think WWE has been throwing some swerves at us recently, but with the United States Championship, it is almost certain that they had Chris Jericho win the title for the sake of swerving the fans, rather than for any storyline progression. Then again, it made sense for Kevin Owens to be the one to take him out somehow, so I kinda guess I understand.

Anyway, for this match at Backlash - it's going to be fantastic. You just know it. I think any match with AJ Styles is almost guaranteed to be good, but Owens is a fantastic wrestler too and this match should be great. It will likely headline the show as well. The only way I can see Randy Orton vs. Jinder Mahal going last is if Jinder wins the title, and well, I'm not sure that will happen.

Owens should win this match. A regular criticism of his run as Universal Champion was that he was relying on Jericho too much to win and never won any of his big title matches on his own, clean or dirty. With that though, I understand that was part of their partnership, but I understand how it can be disappointing since we know Owens to be the guy to get the job done on his own and in his own way. But if Owens wins this match, no matter of how he wins so long as it is on his own, that's a big boost for him. It will mean he has beaten Jericho and Styles in the last month and that is a big boost of credibility for him and the United States Championship, which, as you say, needs some stability and focus.

I'm not sure where this will go afterwards though, since Money in the Bank is looming and surely both guys will be competing for the briefcase. I actually don't think Styles is necessarily a contender for that either, since I think that is going to Baron Corbin. Perhaps a scenario where one man knows the other off the ladder, and so there next one on one match is a ladder match for the title? That's just fantasy booking though. Very excited for this feud.

If this match is given enough time, say 15-20 minutes, it could easily be a classic match. Both Kevin Owens and AJ Styles are phenomenal wrestlers.

I just can't get why Jericho regained the title just to lose it after 2 days. 50-50 booking, I guess. But it wasn't a good decision.

I don't see AJ Styles winning this match. I think that AJ Styles will be more viable contender for Money In The Bank briefcase as that PPV isn't much time away. I expect these two steal the show. Stealing it might be easier since Jinder Mahal is the one facing Randy Orton in the main event.

Jericho won the title and lost it again, so that Owens could get ultra mad and go berserk, so that Y2J gets written of TV.

I expect this feud to continue until July, while Orton is facing Jinder, Corbin and Rusev. I also expect that whoever loses this feud at the end, the other one will go on to challenge Orton for the title, because that's how WWE does things. This could easily end up up 2-2 just like Y2J vs Styles ended and Styles would end up facing Orton for the WWE Championship at Summerslam.

No matter what, I expect this to be a great feud.

This is easily the selling point of the pay per view for me. So i guess the 9.99 a month I pay for it anyway.

We have seen them wrestle a few times on Raw and were good matches from what I remember, but this is the first time seeing them on a pay per view stage. I will go with Owens via dirty finish in this one as he just started his whole "face of america" angle and is fresh off sending Jericho on tour with Fozzy.

Yeah Owens with a not so clean win and have AJ chase the title for a little bit as a break from the main event. Maybe at the next pay per view throw in Shinsuke and Sami for what would be one hell of a fatal four way.

Easily the match of the night. Not a classic but still very good match. Stole the show quite easily.

Expecting another match between both due to the countout loss. I don't know why but I can't see AJ Styles win the title. No problem if he'll. Both are actually increasing the credibility of the title. Especially Owens with "New Face Of America" angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back