• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE apparently interested in Dragon Gate USA talent

We shy worth hair
Source: PWInsider

WWE has expressed interest in several currently signed Dragon Gate USA talents. DGUSA has noted to PWInsider.com that they will release talents from contracts if it means they will get a WWE deal, but declined to identify the talents WWE is interested in.

So... PAC anyone? Wouldn't mind seeing Sami Callihan either.

Can't see them not signing Johnny Gargano. He's worked as security guards in the past. Plus if he's signed then there's a chance Portia Perez could come too.

Does it matter who they sign if they spend 12 to 18 months in FCW? I mean most of you won't see them for a year, within which time most of them will have adapted their styles greatly and altered their names.

So, what exactly makes DGUSA special? I mean all the indie feds I can think of have something that makes them stand out from the crowd. ROH is the biggest, Chikara's "funny", CZW has deathmatches and EVOLVE (theoretically) takes wins and losses into account. What's DGUSA's thing?

So, what exactly makes DGUSA special? I mean all the indie feds I can think of have something that makes them stand out from the crowd. ROH is the biggest, Chikara's "funny", CZW has deathmatches and EVOLVE (theoretically) takes wins and losses into account. What's DGUSA's thing?

It showcases mainly Japanese wrestlers, is based almost solely around Light Heavyweight performers and it's a hybrid of Lucha and Puroresu.

So, it's built around the exact sort of guys who fans should hope don't go to WWE? People who can't speak English, and people who rely on big spots to get pops. The former, no matter how good aren't going to go far and the latter will get their style so toned down that they'll be unrecognisable.

So, it's built around the exact sort of guys who fans should hope don't go to WWE? People who can't speak English, and people who rely on big spots to get pops. The former, no matter how good aren't going to go far and the latter will get their style so toned down that they'll be unrecognisable.

DGUSA is the American touring version of the (wait for it) Dragon Gate promotion from Japan. Many of the stars come over from Japan, but DGUSA has also helped elevate American indy guys, such as Johnny Gargano, Chuck Taylor, Riccochet and Rich Swann. The guys are very talented, which is much more than we can say about 98% of the guys in FCW.

DGUSA is the American touring version of the (wait for it) Dragon Gate promotion from Japan. Many of the stars come over from Japan, but DGUSA has also helped elevate American indy guys, such as Johnny Gargano, Chuck Taylor, Riccochet and Rich Swann. The guys are very talented, which is much more than we can say about 98% of the guys in FCW.

you are very correct. much more talented than guys in FCW (coming from a guy thats seen it since i live in florida)

DGUSA is the American touring version of the (wait for it) Dragon Gate promotion from Japan. Many of the stars come over from Japan, but DGUSA has also helped elevate American indy guys, such as Johnny Gargano, Chuck Taylor, Riccochet and Rich Swann.

Considering that the promotion "Dragon Gate" means absolutely nothing to me, and the only thing I know about those guys you mentioned are that Ricochet does a double moonsault and some other crazy shit that would get stripped straight out of his moveset and that Chuck Taylor does some crowd interaction stuff and throws an invisible grenade. Neither of which would work on a larger crowd (who wouldn't fecking see it).

So tell me Thriller, as a fan where would you prefer to watch those guys? In DGUSA where Chuck Taylor can scare small children and Ricochet can do crazy shit right now, or WWE where Ricochet will be far more toned down and Chuck Taylor won't do anything of the sort when they get called up after a couple of years?

The guys are very talented, which is much more than we can say about 98% of the guys in FCW.

That number is closer to 70%, but is variable depending on how you interpret "very tallented". At this point I've realised I might as well be preaching to a brick wall, so I'll stop.

And in any case, the proportion of shitty guys to good ones doesn't change the fact that they'll still be sent down there to be told to slow the fuck down, cut out excessive flips and pick a smaller number of spots to train the crowd to react to.

Considering that the promotion "Dragon Gate" means absolutely nothing to me, and the only thing I know about those guys you mentioned are that Ricochet does a double moonsault and some other crazy shit that would get stripped straight out of his moveset and that Chuck Taylor does some crowd interaction stuff and throws an invisible grenade. Neither of which would work on a larger crowd (who wouldn't fecking see it).

That's mostly because it doesn't involve the letters "F", "C", or "W." That's really funny that you mention the grenade move, because Alex Riley, one of your precious FCW guys, just started ripping that off. Chuck Taylor is one of the most charismatic wrestlers around today, so I highly doubt that he would have any trouble transitioning to a sports entertainment company. Ricochet would have to do more transitioning, but so did Matt Sydal, and he is a champion at the moment in WWE.

So tell me Thriller, as a fan where would you prefer to watch those guys? In DGUSA where Chuck Taylor can scare small children and Ricochet can do crazy shit right now, or WWE where Ricochet will be far more toned down and Chuck Taylor won't do anything of the sort when they get called up after a couple of years?

I'd love to see them get a chance in the biggest company in the world. Taylor would do great unless he gets his charisma sucked out of him in Florida, which wouldn't surprise me at all. Ricochet would have more trouble, but he could be a solid midcard talent.

That number is closer to 70%, but is variable depending on how you interpret "very tallented". At this point I've realised I might as well be preaching to a brick wall, so I'll stop.

And in any case, the proportion of shitty guys to good ones doesn't change the fact that they'll still be sent down there to be told to slow the fuck down, cut out excessive flips and pick a smaller number of spots to train the crowd to react to.

Which is why Danielson and Low-Ki changed their movesets so much. If guys can prove they can do high-risk or non-WWE style moves safely and consistently they can get a pass like Bourne with the Shooting Star Press and your gay fantasy Justin Gabriel with the 450.

CIMA is 33 and Shingo is 28, so they are both relatively young. I thought CIMA was older, too.

Wow, that is really surprising to me. CIMA would probably be ok, he already speaks decent English, it's just the in-ring stuff for him. Shingo would need both, be he's still young enough to be ok.

That's mostly because it doesn't involve the letters "F", "C", or "W."

Or it's because I have absolutely no interest in any indie fed, full stop.

That's really funny that you mention the grenade move, because Alex Riley, one of your precious FCW guys, just started ripping that off.

One problem with that. I think Alex Riley sucks, can't stand the fucker. I've been calling him bad since he was on NXT. And hell I'll the guys in FCW shit. Which the vast, VAST majority of them are. But the 10 or so who aren't shit are actually pretty damn good, and with a couple of exceptions have years of experience from outside of FCW. So please don't try to insinuate that I am a blind mark for anyone who was trained in Tampa.

Chuck Taylor is one of the most charismatic wrestlers around today, so I highly doubt that he would have any trouble transitioning to a sports entertainment company. Ricochet would have to do more transitioning, but so did Matt Sydal, and he is a champion at the moment in WWE.

I'll take your word on both because I've plead ignorance on them already. I'll make a bold prediction that Ricochet will be doing one big flip in his matches, rather than doing a 450 senton and a 630 moonsault in the same match. See also: Evan Bourne not doing springboard 450s or moonsaults off his opponent's backs any more.

I also know that Brian Cage-Taylor (aka Kris Logan) got FE'd while in FCW for some reason. Which is a shame because I thought he was damned good. Never heard him speak, but he was fun to watch in the ring. He was pretty darn over too. Completely irrelevent to what we're talking about but this is in the spam sections, so who gives a fuck?

Which is why Danielson and Low-Ki changed their movesets so much.

Kaval is the exception that proves the rule (though I found him borderline impossible to watch in the ring before FCW, but that's personal opinion). DBD follows the "use the same moves in every match" rule. Look at a Daniel Bryan match and you'll see without fail that he goes for the same spots in all his matches (tiger wall flip, missile dropkick off the ropes, missile dropkick in the corner, tiger knee and teasing the LeBell lock before the finish). If you watch one of Rollins' FCW matches it's the same thing (springboard clothesline, O'Connor roll into the Paroxysm, back kick followed up with an "advanced curbstomp" and finish with the Avada Kadavra (the low angle superkick)). All of the moves I listed were recalled off the top of my head, so I may have messed a few of their signatures, but the point remains.

If guys can prove they can do high-risk or non-WWE style moves safely and consistently they can get a pass like Bourne with the Shooting Star Press and your gay fantasy Justin Gabriel with the 450.

It's not the fact that they have super cool amazing moves that they can do safely. It's that you build up to that spectacular move, and prime the crowd to react before you hit it. Which fails if you're going spectacular moves right from the bell and has the added drawback of desensitising the crowd so you've got to top it. It's one thing to perform the move, it's another to make the crowd give a shit about it.

Or to put it another way, anyone can do a bloody hardcore match but there's only one Mick Foley. He may do tamer stuff than you could see somewhere on the indies but more people give a shit about him going through a table than Yardtards #1 and #2 going through a stack of light tubes onto a concrete floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back