WWE 2k17 Discussion

Discussion in 'The Media Hub' started by Trill Co$by, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Trill Co$by

Trill Co$by Believes in The Shield!

Can't believe this hasn't been done, but then again I can't say I'm too surprised. It gets annoying being ignored every year, but still there has to be some excitement right? I mean, we're getting AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura, Asuka, and Jordan & Gable. So that's good right? Also, there's this...

So it looks like Brock Lesnar on the cover brings us a little touch of Here Comes the Pain. We're not able to walk around backstage, it doesn't seem like, but we are able to be more involved in how our character progresses, reacts, and what happens with the fans. I'm interested in seeing how clothes affect your crowd reaction though. Does an all black get up with a long scary trench coat make you a mystique similar to Undertaker? Would coming out in fight shorts, gloves, and wrestling shoes (not boots, but shoes) make you similar to Lesnar? Does a singlet make you like Jack Swagger or Kurt Angle? Or are we just going to get attribute boosts like in last year's My Career Mode?

2. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

Last year's game seriously pissed me off. I spent 80 bucks for it and played for all of about 3 hours, the least time I've ever spent on a WWE video game and to add to that, I have absolutely no motivation to ever go back to it again. It was basically just a crappy rehash of 2K15 which, thank God for me, I had the foresight not to waste my money on. Gameplay, a very important part of these games, was lacking and every single damn match played almost the same.

This year honestly doesn't seem any different. Yeah there's new features for MyCareer and Universe, but if I'm not mistaken, I think I remember hearing that they got rid of Showcase and are foregoing any sort of story mode... which throws the selling point for me right out the window. Also, a new submission system! Yippee! That's like the third new system in the past 3 years... and every time they make it less and less enjoyable. I bring this pain on myself, but at this point, I'm tired of listening to WWE and 2K Sports hype this thing like it's the next coming and than putting out a steaming heap of trash like they've done the past couple years.

The THQ produced games were much more fun to play even if they were, quote-unquote, "unrealistic". I won't waste my time on this thing and I couldn't give less of a shit about the rosters because once you've played one match with a guy, you've played them all. Negative rant over.

3. SSJPhenom

SSJPhenom The Phenom of WZ

I haven't played since the Smackdown vs. Raw days. I'm going to get this one though. PS4 has made me want to play everything.

4. Shotaro

Shotaro WZCW's James Howard

I skipped 2K16 because I hated 2K15. I will probably give it a few more years for 2K to sort out what game they want to make and then pick it up.

5. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

I'm yet to see any significant changes year to year. They just increase the roster, change a setting to something that worked perfectly well before the change and they add more wrestlers. I've read this years game will have last years DLC characters in it. Groovy!

6. Fillet Club

Fillet Club Occasional Pre-Show

That's the one thing that game developers have never really been able to get 'right' and when they've had a system that has promise, they just change it to something else instead of tweaking it...

Perhaps utilizing a system that allowed you to try and crawl to the ropes (which would include some form of energy bar/meter), whilst having to keep some sort of pain threshold meter down, just rushing to the ropes would use the most amount of energy but would get you out of harms way quicker. A sort of risk/reward system.

Although I can't lie, I still actually like the button mashing in Wrestlemania 2000/No Mercy in regards to the pin and submission system.

7. Aeon Mathix

Aeon Mathix Has Ascended

Pretty big bump with this but it was surprising there was no real hype or any discussion at all about this game compared to previous years I've seen on this forum. Then again, these games have rarely changed at all minus the roster so it's not all that surprising actually.

I haven't had much of a chance to play all that much, but it seems and feels the same as 2k16. Literally every bit of it. Most character models were obviously not updated and nearly all entrances weren't touched. Even the mannerisms the wrestlers do when standing in the ring waiting for their opponent is the same. It's expected but not the extent I saw this game.

One nitpick thing I saw was that the universal championship really didn't make it into the game? I know the WWE World Heavyweight championship made it into 2k15 and it had debuted about a month and a half prior so that was pretty head scratching. I also love the fact that Shinsuke Nakamura was I believe in the first teaser trailer yet he is DLC which won't be available for a little bit.

The backstage brawl is pretty lame to be honest. Not much effort was put into it and there's only 3 areas of it. I want them to go back to the insanity of here comes the pain where you could dive off the freaking sky scraper in times square to your opponent. There was no limits. With 2K's games I feel really limited.

The create a championship is exactly the same too. The one thing that REALLY bothers me is that I cannot edit existing championships. I can however change the strap on them and the title name but that's it. Something like adding the new WWE logo onto a classic title isn't possible and I would have to remake the title from scratch which is annoying.

All of this is my own gripes and concerns which not everyone will share and shouldn't base the game off of those. However, if you are looking for WWE 2k16 but with an updated roster then by all means get this, but don't come in expecting a vast difference which is basically synonymous with WWE games the last 5 years or so. Everything about it is 2k16 minus a few new touches here and there.