• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestlers who lost their televised debut match in WWF/E?

Creepy Old Man

Championship Contender
When I think back I remember everyone winning in their debut. That's probably not the case, but it's how I remember it. I was surprised that Sting didn't win against Triple H, although some folks consider his match against Flair on the final Nitro as his WWF debut (Stamford owned WCW by then, and booked the show). Anyway, besides Sting, who are the guys who couldn't get the job done in their televised WWE debut? Cheers.

You forgot a big name mate!!
Many loves him, Many hates him, Many respects him, Many abuses him, He's the man carrying WWE over his shoulder for the past 10 years or so, His name is JOHN CENA

Cheers!

One that comes to mind at the moment is Chris Jericho. If my memory serves me correctly, his first televised WWF(E) match was on Smackdown against RoadDogg and technically, he lost. He got DQ'd after powerbombing Roadie through a table.

Well, that's pretty tough, especially since back in the 80s and much of the 90s when someone debuted they wrestled jobber matches on TV first before ever facing someone important.

Im pretty sure Dusty Rhodes won his early televised matches when he appeared in 1989 although he was jobbing on the house show circuit.....

Shawn Michaels I believe lost his first SINGLES MATCH (vs Ric Flair) on TV but I believe he won his early TV matches as part of The Rockers....

There is probably no one that WWE ever brought in the last 35 years that lost their first televised match, especially since so much of what was televised back in the day was jobber matches specifically designed to get wrestlers over with the crowd for the house show circuit.

Somebody already mentioned John Cena losing his debut match to Kurt Angle, but since Cena was a jobber at the time, he came out of it looking very strong. Technically Chris Jericho "lost" his WWE debut match by DQ but he definitely came out looking strong.

Another which comes to mind is The Big Show who lost his WWE debut match to Stone Cold Steve Austin on RAW after a few chairshots and Mankind as the referee. In fact, Paul Wight's entire WWE debut from St. Valentine's Day Massacre to WrestleMania XV was a complete booking botch.

Well, that's pretty tough, especially since back in the 80s and much of the 90s when someone debuted they wrestled jobber matches on TV first before ever facing someone important.

Im pretty sure Dusty Rhodes won his early televised matches when he appeared in 1989 although he was jobbing on the house show circuit.....

Shawn Michaels I believe lost his first SINGLES MATCH (vs Ric Flair) on TV but I believe he won his early TV matches as part of The Rockers....

There is probably no one that WWE ever brought in the last 35 years that lost their first televised match, especially since so much of what was televised back in the day was jobber matches specifically designed to get wrestlers over with the crowd for the house show circuit.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Terry Taylor. He came from having successful heel runs in the UWF and World Class. They debuted him in a tag match with Sam Houston vs the Conquistodors. Houston was pinned and Taylor berated him for ruining his debut. He beat Houston down and the two engaged in a small feud on the house show circuit to establish Taylor as a heel. Soon afterwards Heenan took him as a client and the Red Rooster( heel version ) was born.

I believe all The Radicalz lost their WWE debut matches... don't think there's many big, hyped debuts that ended in clean losses because... well because that's just bad booking.

I believe all The Radicalz lost their WWE debut matches... don't think there's many big, hyped debuts that ended in clean losses because... well because that's just bad booking.

I think the Guerrero and Saturn were supposed to win their match against the Outlaws but Guerrero got injured during the match so they had to change the ending.

Now im not sure on any of these it..

I'm not exactly sure but what about Adam Rose?

Um did Fandango? His might have been against Jericho?

And technically Hideo Itami lost his wwe television debut. He's an NXT star and this is wwe tv debut. It was in the Andre battle roal..

I suppose this counts - Mick Foley tagged with an old veteran (Les Thornton maybe- can't remember) against the British Bulldogs in the match that Dynamite famously stiffed Foley in 1986.

Mick was announced as Jack Foley and was only about 20 years old.

Undertaker lost his first match... or rather was counted out in the Surivor Series, although his team techincally won with DiBiase as sole survivor.... the Gobbldeygooker? That was OUR loss...and shame.

The "winning debut" was always easy during the Hogan era, because of jobbers. They'd beat Mike Starr or the like in seconds in their first match whoever they were and only very rarely, like a deliberate DQ or similar and then face a "name" at the PPV. But push was very much "one up, one down" in those days. They always started with guys on the way down and replaced them in the spot till they got to the mid card or upper card and then were positioned for a main event here and there. It was formulaic but you didn't really get "shock wins" too often.

More recently, they've gone back to the strong debut but some still do lose right after, Rusev debuted in a Rumble, anyone who does loses unless they win the whole thing but was then unbeaten for a year. Someone more "recent" like Neville also wrestled on RAW last year in the run up to Takeover and scored the pin over Breeze, so whenever Breeze does "debut" he lost his first match.

Of course WWE likes to think they "control" this, they can retcon and try to convince you someone won when they lost or won a title when no tourney took place for it.

Cena wasn't a jobber though, that's the misconception, but he was a rookie... like Neville is now he was pitched right at top guys immediately, cos he lost matches to them he was labelled a jobber but he instantly rose to the mid card rather than the usual amble around the lower card. He bypassed about 6 months of build in 2 matches with Angle and Jericho after all if he was a jobber, Jericho wouldn't have insisted on taking the loss to him. Neville is in a similar situation right now, won some, lost some but all to top top guys... and without spoilers, it looks like he is following the same path, right into the midcard title hunt.

I believe Daniel Bryans first televised match was against Chris Jericho?

If so, what an impressive debut on tv, against the champion at the time no less.

Following the influx of talent jumping from WCW to the WWE after the buyout in 2001 surely SOMEONE had to lose their first match on WWE TV- I'm thinking KroniK? Was their defeat in the terrible match against 'Taker and Kane at Unforgiven 2001 their first WWE televised match?

Of the ones that come to mind for me that haven't been mentioned...

Cody Rhodes lost to Randy Orton
Rusev lost to Ziggler in NXT
Jeff Hardy lost to Razor Ramon
Sting lost to Triple H

You know what's sad about my life? When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought about Bastion Booger losing to Virgil in 1993. Can't remember to grab the sandwich I made the night before when going to work half the time but I remember Bastion Booger losing to Virgil on Wrestling Challenge 22 years ago. Perhaps the hunchback, the name, and farts and belches for music should have tipped me off that Booger might not be used much other than comedy fodder but the loss to Virgil in his debut killed the Booger character before I had a chance to dream about classic matches with Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect.

You know what's sad about my life? When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought about Bastion Booger losing to Virgil in 1993. Can't remember to grab the sandwich I made the night before when going to work half the time but I remember Bastion Booger losing to Virgil on Wrestling Challenge 22 years ago. Perhaps the hunchback, the name, and farts and belches for music should have tipped me off that Booger might not be used much other than comedy fodder but the loss to Virgil in his debut killed the Booger character before I had a chance to dream about classic matches with Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect.

I think to be fair the OP is looking more at "top level" stars rather than clear jobbers like Booger... However losing to Virgil in 93 is a special place in ignominy, Virgil was a "jobber with an open contract" and regularly made fun of in WWE magazine by that point, famously "mugging in" on Bob Backlund's comeback article over a carrot smoothie. You know it's bad when a guy gone for over 10 years and a Cuisinart get in the photo before you do... Maybe he should get a new banner for when he does his subway signings that celebrates the win?

Joking aside, a lot of talents signed in that era were designated as jobbers and hired for that purpose, Booger is a prime example, Damien Demento, Salvatore Sincere and the like. Even Max Moon once Konnan had flown the coop. Back then you generally knew even at the vignette stage if someone was a "player" or not.

You can't really count the Hardy Boys losing individual matches, as they were purely brought in as enhancement talent; it's just they, as with Sean Waltman, were eventually afforded the opportunity to progress. Let's not forget that they also later started being tag team enhancement, in ludicrous tie-dye leggings, until they were amongst the first destroyed by Kane after his debut.

I'm currently watching Raw from the start (ie 1993); amongst other jobbers featured, Scott Taylor, Glen Ruth and Ray Apollo have popped up a few times each. They later found fame as Scotty 2 Hotty, Headbanger Thrasher, and the second full-time Doink (aka Babyface Doink); I wouldn't consider any of there jobber losses as 'losing starts' to their careers though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back