Wrestlemania XXXIII - The Undertaker VS Roman Reigns

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
WWE.com announced earlier today that as a result of their confrontation on Raw last week, ending months of rumors and speculation as well, Taker vs. Reigns is official.

As with a few other matches on the card, more than a few really, I've got mixed feelings about this. For one thing, no matter how much Vince may personally wish it otherwise, fans are NOT going to embrace Roman Reigns as the babyface in this scenario, not against possibly the single most beloved and respected star in WWE history. As a result, the build to WrestleMania and the match itself could be WWE's best chance to turn Roman Reigns into a fully fledged heel.

Another issue that's going to dog this match, based on the various reports that've come out over the weeks and months, is that Vince wants it to come off as a sort of pass the torch kind of moment. Rather than going for an icon vs. icon bout with Taker vs. Cena, Vince allegedly feels that Reigns is the future and that this bout will be the better choice in the long run. What happens in a "pass the torch" kind of situation is an older, dominant star cleanly loses to the younger, up & coming guy and gives said star his/her endorsement. That's all well and good but, again, a lot of fans aren't going to give Reigns the sort of emotional moment WWE is hoping for.

Another big issue involves the match itself and whether or not Taker can help deliver a satisfyingly entertaining match. Realistically, Taker can't have much time left if the past few WrestleMania matches have been an indication. I know Taker will try his best and that's one of the reasons so many fans respect him, but I genuinely think he's at a point in his career where it's time to say enough.

Personally, I think it'd be kind of cool if Reigns made a full blown heel turn during the match in which he works ruthlessly against Taker. I'm taking everything from low blows to multiple chair shots to kendo sticks to putting him through a few tables, etc. Even if Reigns' actions cause him to be disqualified, for instance, it only results in him unloading on Taker all the more.

This is one of the matches I'm most looking forward to but just like the main event, it's for all the wrong reasons. I'm not expecting a great or even a good match given Taker's condition. I think Reigns as a worker is very underrated but he's not good enough to carry a hip-needing hobbled 50 year old man. We've been saying it every year for what feels like a decade but due to his hip problems and needing surgery, there's more reason than ever to think this will be Undertaker's last WrestleMania. Because of that, coupled with Vince's idea of a torch passing, I'm expecting Reigns to beat Taker after a fairly underwhelming match and then proceed to watch the shit show ensue.

I think at this point, if Vince dream is for Reigns to be over with 100% of the audience that's not going to happen ever in my opinion, Reigns is the type of character that will please a segment of wwe fans and will be hated by another. So he's pretty much a tweener and they really should be o.k. with that. The fact that he's no.2 in merchandise sales on the website says alot about how much he draws right now so putting him against Taker is a good way to give him more exposure and let's face it,

he's shown over and over again that's he's able to have a good match and sometimes even a great match and this is his chance to prove that he belong in the top tier of the company by getting a great match out of the undertaker which let'S face it for all the respect that i have for the undertaker, he need somebody to help him out and carry part of the match. So this is a make or break moment for Roman Reigns.

Personally, if their ever was a moment we're i would have Taker pass the torch to somebody, i think it's this match. Having Reigns beat taker clean at mania and do the respect angle at the end would solidify him as a top guy, yes, it will piss off the section of the fans that hate the guy but that'S the price they will have to pay to make reigns a top guy in my opinion.

In the end, i think that this will be a really good match and i know this won'T be the last match on the card but if they would go that route with the passing of the torch and respect angle, i would put it in the main event position especially if Taker finally decided to call it a career after this match.

Roman Reigns is outstanding in the ring. Anyone who begs to differ is clearly seeing through blind hate. Him and Big Show had one of the best matches of the year in 2015. Not to mention his series with AJ and the WrestleMania match against Brock. I don't have the most confidence in this being a great match, mainly because Taker hasn't had a fantastic bout at Mania since 28, but im optimistic when it comes to wrestling. You just never know.

That being said, holy shit will this piss off that stadium to no end if Reigns comes out with a clean victory. WWE has lost their minds if they think it's just going to be Reigns spearing Taker, pinning him, cheers and Taker gives him a handshake and everything is gravy afterward. You couple this with some other possible outcomes such as Shane beating Styles and Goldberg vs Lesnar going 2 minutes to close the show and this could be one of the most hated shows WWE has ever put on. The sad part is, all three of those booking decisions I mentioned are completely possible and wouldn't surprise me at all.

Kind of a lose lose situation for this match. Undertaker wins, no one really cares and it doesn't prove anything and Reigns looks like shit for not defeating the old man. Reigns wins and people lose their shit depending on the matter in which he beats him. Would they really have Taker go 23-2? Seems sort of random and makes Lesnar's win look even more pointless than it already has. Nonetheless I have no idea who wins this and I love that feeling.

Man, I would have loved to see a different scenario play out this year. I'm not much of an armchair booker but I think this Mania would have been the perfect time to finally have Cena/Taker with Reigns taking on Goldberg for the Universal strap. I think those would have been two very highly anticipated match-ups and made more sense than what we're getting. Personally, Reigns is one of the very few people, if not the only one other than Lesnar, who really would have matched up well with Goldberg and would have looked believable beating him, especially after his win over Strowman at FastLane. Still, I'm looking forward to how they book this thing. I would be very, very surprised if this ends up as one of the matches of the night, but that's not where the intrigue lies here.

Some people may hate to hear it, but Reigns absolutely must go over in this one; clean or dirty, it doesn't matter. If Vince is so hellbent on pushing Reigns as the future, he damn well better go all the way with it. 5 years ago, I would have had a different opinion, but Reigns just beat an unstoppable monster in Braun... he should not lose to a hobbled Undertaker. For some reason, the WWE brass just do not seem to want to turn Reigns. I guess that probably has something to do with his merch sales (if the numbers that wrestlingmaster keeps touting over and over again are actually legit); it's not the smarky demo that's buying his stuff and I doubt a heel turn would compel them to shell out the dough. So, just like it was and still is with Cena, as long as the kids are buying his shit, Reigns will remain a good guy and damn the entertainment value.

I did not think I would ever be pulling for a Reigns victory over The Undertaker in any scenario, but if you're going to do it, might as well do it right. That also makes me think that Taker will end up winning. Mania booking has been ass-backwards for the past couple of years, I'd be surprised if that changed at 33.

I don't quite understand why Braun keeps being involved in this. Where is this leading? Will he try to interfere in the match and against whom?

About the match itself, I always wanted a Reigns vs Undertaker match. But the fact that we had Cena vs Undertaker and lost it simply irritates me. So that makes me indifferent for this one.

The fact that they're still trying for Reigns to be a face against Undertaker also doesn't help me or the match.

Low expectations for this one.

I think they did Cena a big favor not having him face Undertaker at WM.. Taker can barely walk to the ring. I hope Reigns destroys him and sends him into retirement.

I think at this point, if Vince dream is for Reigns to be over with 100% of the audience that's not going to happen ever in my opinion, Reigns is the type of character that will please a segment of wwe fans and will be hated by another. So he's pretty much a tweener and they really should be o.k. with that. The fact that he's no.2 in merchandise sales on the website says alot about how much he draws right now so putting him against Taker is a good way to give him more exposure and let's face it,

he's shown over and over again that's he's able to have a good match and sometimes even a great match and this is his chance to prove that he belong in the top tier of the company by getting a great match out of the undertaker which let'S face it for all the respect that i have for the undertaker, he need somebody to help him out and carry part of the match. So this is a make or break moment for Roman Reigns.

Personally, if their ever was a moment we're i would have Taker pass the torch to somebody, i think it's this match. Having Reigns beat taker clean at mania and do the respect angle at the end would solidify him as a top guy, yes, it will piss off the section of the fans that hate the guy but that'S the price they will have to pay to make reigns a top guy in my opinion.

In the end, i think that this will be a really good match and i know this won'T be the last match on the card but if they would go that route with the passing of the torch and respect angle, i would put it in the main event position especially if Taker finally decided to call it a career after this match.
You know how Roman Reigns will be received by the fans if Reigns defeats The Undertaker clean at Wrestlemania 33? Just imagine the double booing.

The Undertaker is one of the most respected wrestlers in WWE. More well received than Cena. He didn't get booed even when he used a heel tactic. That shows his respect in fans' minds. Roman Reigns shouldn't beat The Undertaker clean. That's what I think. No problem with him winning via a heel turn.

He has a lot of rub as a face. Only things left are defeating Cena, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar. He is the only one in this crop of talent to actually compete hard with Brock Lesnar. Let's see who he has beaten already? Triple H? Yes. Daniel Bryan? Yes. Randy Orton? Yes. AJ Styles? Yes. Seth Rollins? Yes. Dean Ambrose? Yes. Rusev? Yes. Bray Wyatt? Yes. Kevin Owens? Yes. Chris Jericho? Yes. Braun Strowman? Yes. And now The Undertaker. So many rubs. Some of legends, some of newcomers, some of established ones. You can't and shouldn't give a clean rub of The Undertaker as well.

You know how Roman Reigns will be received by the fans if Reigns defeats The Undertaker clean at Wrestlemania 33? Just imagine the double booing.

The Undertaker is one of the most respected wrestlers in WWE. More well received than Cena. He didn't get booed even when he used a heel tactic. That shows his respect in fans' minds. Roman Reigns shouldn't beat The Undertaker clean. That's what I think. No problem with him winning via a heel turn.

He has a lot of rub as a face. Only things left are defeating Cena, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar. He is the only one in this crop of talent to actually compete hard with Brock Lesnar. Let's see who he has beaten already? Triple H? Yes. Daniel Bryan? Yes. Randy Orton? Yes. AJ Styles? Yes. Seth Rollins? Yes. Dean Ambrose? Yes. Rusev? Yes. Bray Wyatt? Yes. Kevin Owens? Yes. Chris Jericho? Yes. Braun Strowman? Yes. And now The Undertaker. So many rubs. Some of legends, some of newcomers, some of established ones. You can't and shouldn't give a clean rub of The Undertaker as well.

The problem is that they want Reigns as a face, and while a lot of the fans, especially the IWC hate the guy, he'S still over with a section of the fans, so they are going to continue pushing Reigns as a somewhat babyface. The fact that is merchandise seem to sell very well at the moment, since from the last report i read, his no.2 behind Cena in merchandise sale, mean that they are not going to turn reigns.

The other thing it was reported that the plans for mania next years is to have lesnar defend the universal title against reigns in a rematch from mania 31 and they really don'T cares about Reigns getting booed at all, they still are going to continue to push him as a babyface even if half of the crowd doesn'T like it. So i'm thinking like they are right now, why not have him beat taker clean and do the respect angle at the end, i know fans won'T like it because for some reason that i'm yet to understand, they hate Reigns even through he'S one of the best performer on the roster and as delivered over and over again but that what best for business right now in their head so why not go for it and have undertaker pass the torch to reigns and acknowledge the fact that it'S reigns's yard now. Like you said the fans won'T boo the undertaker, so if he give his blessing that it'S o.k to like Reigns by doing the respect angle, i wouldn't be surprise if some of the fans change their opinion on Reigns.

I see no scenario where Undertaker loses, though I hope he does. Everybody would lose their minds if Reigns wins and that's got to make it worthwhile.

Undertaker is older than Goldberg, and I've seen people go nuts about Goldberg talking pro-wrestling in person or just throwaway internet conversations. Goldberg actually kind of has a gimmick and character that works well all this time later and he literally only went over a 39 year old, who was going to be a hall of famer even before his current run. He did go over Kevin Owens, 32, but if we're being straight forward If I was spectating a random fight I'd think Goldberg would beat him. They even covered for him on RAW blaming Jericho, and didn't run it into the ground.

So that's fine, but if even with just those things we can't excuse Goldberg why should anyone do it for The Undertaker. A 51 year old man with badly dyed receding hair, eyeliner, MMA gloves, and a trench coat who can't wrestle on par with guys closing in on his age or the greenest of the new. If anyone is a a parody of a wrestler, it is Undertaker. There was an incident where I was trying to show friends some modern WWE stuff, and The Undertaker had popped up and they just lost almost all interest after one of his meme worthy promos.

Love him to death, and he's a legend among legends but it has gotten where I dread seeing him on any show he appears on. It either means nothing, or leads to a lackluster to awful match. I'd have no problem with him not having some classic, but spending 30+ minutes building to a spot that's old after 2 days is just not redeeming to any degree.

Reigns should just go over and try to work out a good match with Taker. I wouldn't mind an official retirement match a mania away, but it's kind of sad at this point. I can watch Jushin because at 52 he still manages to have good technical bouts and he lets guys like Zack Sabre Jr. go over him. Even his comedy stuff is okay, because there's just a point where it is ridiculous to have guys who need to hold ring ropes 70% of the match to balance themselves.

The problem is that they want Reigns as a face, and while a lot of the fans, especially the IWC hate the guy, he'S still over with a section of the fans, so they are going to continue pushing Reigns as a somewhat babyface. The fact that is merchandise seem to sell very well at the moment, since from the last report i read, his no.2 behind Cena in merchandise sale, mean that they are not going to turn reigns.

The other thing it was reported that the plans for mania next years is to have lesnar defend the universal title against reigns in a rematch from mania 31 and they really don'T cares about Reigns getting booed at all, they still are going to continue to push him as a babyface even if half of the crowd doesn'T like it. So i'm thinking like they are right now, why not have him beat taker clean and do the respect angle at the end, i know fans won'T like it because for some reason that i'm yet to understand, they hate Reigns even through he'S one of the best performer on the roster and as delivered over and over again but that what best for business right now in their head so why not go for it and have undertaker pass the torch to reigns and acknowledge the fact that it'S reigns's yard now. Like you said the fans won'T boo the undertaker, so if he give his blessing that it'S o.k to like Reigns by doing the respect angle, i wouldn't be surprise if some of the fans change their opinion on Reigns.
I would seriously like to see the report which says that he's No. 2 merchandise seller. Since you have acknowledged it multiple times, do refer me that particular report.

They really don't care about booing of Reigns? Seriously? Then why do they edit out the booing? Why to change it when you don't care at all? That's a lie.

The respect angle won't do anything when there's heavy rainfall of boos at Wrestlemania 33 after Reigns defeats The Undertaker clean. All of the best performers ain't getting this treatment. It's all about partiality. Those have also delivered again and again.

Every rub shouldn't go to Roman Reigns like it looks like to be going. That's trying to make John Cena v2.0. And that's not possible.

If Wrestlemania 33 has Reigns beat The Undertaker clean, there will be worse reaction than Royal Rumble 2015.

They teased heel turn on monday with "I am gona retire Undertaker". Whole promo had kinda "heelish" vibe with disrespecting Michaels and words like "I called Undertaker not you" and "He retired you I am gona retire him". Dont think its gona happen because that would leave them with one credible face on RAW in Rollins and maybe returning Balor.

On the other side I cant see Reigns losing here. Sure, its Undertaker at Wrestlemania but now its a guy who wrestles once a year, one or two matches away from retirement and he needs hip surgery. Against the guy who is build as "next no1 guy after Cena" in the match where gimmick words are "Whos yard is this?" just cant see Undertaker pulling this one. And it would be awesome to see IWC explode after that.

We could see a heel turn for Reigns. I believe all signs are pointing for Regins to win this one if he's being pushed as the next face of the company. It's been rumoured that this could be Taker's last Mania. The only thing, that doubts me that Reigns will turn heel would be creative wouldn't want it to happen, and someone mentioned he's number 2 in merch sales. However 80% of the Stadium will eat it up and give him heat.

If this match ends with the "respect' handshake.........fuck it would be a shame. Perfect opportunity for Reigns to be the heel he truly should be. He exhibits the cocky arrogant prick perfectly and the fans want that from him. Have him destroy Taker, have that notch on his belt to live off, retiring the Deadman. If hes going to be the next Cena, well a huge victory like that would cement his reputation. I just dont see him being bought as a face until he has a solid heel run first.

This match is basically a memorable heel turn on a silver platter. The problem is that Vince wants Reigns as THE guy and that means he'll almost certainly want to keep him babyface despite lots of fans not necessarily buying into him in that role.

Reports are going around that this will probably be Taker's last WrestleMania as he's said to be in a lot of pain that's not getting any better and he's been putting off needed surgery that when had will almost certainly spell the end of his in-ring career. What's bothering Taker most is his hip, dunno exactly what one, and reports say that he intends to undergo full hip replacement surgery once his in-ring career is done but has kept putting it off. It's been reported that he's been in pretty rough shape since the Royal Rumble especially, though he hasn't exactly been pert as a rutting buck for much longer. As a result, you have to figure that his match with Reigns probably won't be a classic and if they want to keep things fairly short, they could have Reigns demolish Taker because fans just aren't going to cheer for Reigns in this match. I don't care how much Vince might wish it, it's not gonna happen so I could see the match going like this:

Once the bell rings, Taker starts out really strong and just lays into Reigns with everything he's got almost immediately. Big clotheslines, running boots, maybe "Old School" if he thinks his hip can handle it, wearing his fists out on Reigns' pretty face, etc. with Reigns maybe getting in a few shots here and there but ultimately being unable to gain momentum. The story is that Taker feels he HAS to end this match as quickly as possible, that he knows it's going to be worse for him the longer it goes, so that's why he just goes balls out and guns blazing right form the opening bell After about 5 to 7 minutes of Taker beating the snot out of him, Reigns goes for the Superman Punch, Taker catches him, nails the chokeslam for a near fall. Taker stands up while Reigns is slowly recovering, moving around on the mat as if he just fell out of an airplane, Taker waits until Reigns gets to his feet, though he's still bent over, Taker sets him up for the Last Ride, hits it and gets an even closer near fall. Taker stands up, postures for the crowd a little before pulling the straps down, making the throat cutting sign, Reigns stumbles to his feet, Taker picks him up, positions him for the Tombstone, hits it and Reigns kicks out again. Taker is frustrated and gives the throat cutting sign again, helps pull Reigns up, Reigns suddenly pops up and hits the Superman Punch, staggering Taker, then delivers a much harder one before unleashing his own barrage of offense on Taker. Taker manages to break the momentum for a few moments here & there, but Reigns keeps pouring it on with clotheslines, maybe a few powerbombs of his own, a couple of more Superman Punches, etc. Reigns just keeps pouring it on, punching and kicking Taker while he's on the ground while the crowd tries to rally Taker. At one point, Reigns whips Taker into the ropes before bouncing off the opposite side in order to gain more momentum for a clothesline but Taker ducks with both men running to the opposite sides. Taker looks like he's going for the flying clothesline he used to do when bouncing off the ropes but Reigns leaps up and spears him in mid air for a close fall. Taker is winded, out of gas, his eyes are glassy as he tries to pull himself up in the corner while Reigns is practically frothing at the mouth in the opposing corner waiting for Taker to come out of the corner. Taker slowly staggers out of the corner and eats another spear from Reigns and Reigns gets the three. Reigns poses on the ropes for a few moments before being given a mic and he walks to stand over a prone Taker who hasn't moved. Reigns looks down at him with this cocky smirk on his face and says something to the effect of "I told you before Deadman. This is my yard now." Reigns takes his leave, Taker eventually manages to slowly sit up and climb to his feet. He looks out over the crowd, a cheering crowd that appreciates the effort before just closing his eyes, lowering his head and nodding a few times as sort of a silent acknowledgment to himself that it's over and that it is Roman Reigns yard now before slowly making his way up the ramp.

It might not be a full blown heel turn for Reigns then, but showing such disrespect for the Undertaker, at WrestleMania no less, would seem pretty damn heelish to me.

If this is Undertaker's last match, I see him really selling his age, and wear and tear. Physically, he just won't be able to go with Reigns. I see Undertaker really making this a big deal throughout the match.

All of that depends on if this is or is not Taker's last match. If not, he could possibly win.

But Braun eliminates everybody from the battle royal in 5 seconds and then inserts himself into this, right?

They can't pass the torch. It just won't work. The best way to make Reigns the future is to let him beat the Undertaker mercilessly into retirement. He'll be a mega heel for the next year. Let him stay heel for ages and build up respect. People will eventually want to cheer him on their own. Let him be in Triple H's little stable of chosen guys. He's just never going to be the mega baby face that they want. Keeping him babyface for this match is asking for more "Die Rocky Die" heat.

And Undertaker shouldn't win this match. I love him. He's my wrestling deity. The greatest wrestler in history. But it's time. It's time to go home to his dogs, bikes, and hot teacher. It's time to get some rest.

IF Old Taker beats Roman Reigns, with interference or cleanly... then I can safely say Roman follows the path of Sheamus from then onwards.

In no universe should the Undertaker be winning the match come Sunday. Regardless of a Roman heel turn happening or not.

They can't pass the torch. It just won't work. The best way to make Reigns the future is to let him beat the Undertaker mercilessly into retirement. He'll be a mega heel for the next year. Let him stay heel for ages and build up respect. People will eventually want to cheer him on their own. Let him be in Triple H's little stable of chosen guys. He's just never going to be the mega baby face that they want. Keeping him babyface for this match is asking for more "Die Rocky Die" heat.

And Undertaker shouldn't win this match. I love him. He's my wrestling deity. The greatest wrestler in history. But it's time. It's time to go home to his dogs, bikes, and hot teacher. It's time to get some rest.

I like everything except him beating Taker to then become another HHH/Stephanie puppet. Let him remain the same Tweener-type Roman Reigns anointing the Ring as his yard going forward.

According to main page Reigns is now (in absence of Cena) top merchandise seller. Add HHH that said in an interview how Reigns is already heel. Add Orton that said how Reigns is gona get his at Wrestlemania like he is heel and Undertaker face. So either they are trolling with us and things remain as it is or they would really turn him. Though if that report about merchandise is true cant see it happening.

If you believe what has been reported, reigns is set to continue his program with strowman at live events after mania so I would be surprise if the keep him in this tweener role for a while after mania and do the respect angle after the match.

I will tell you guys exactly how I would do it. Taker and Reigns have a good match and very hard hitting but taker wins barely and walks away. Reigns gets up with a mic and says "Undertaker I'm not done, this is my yard". Taker comes back in the ring and as we see reigns barely standing holding on to the ropes. Taker nods his head and raises his hand and walks away as reigns falls face first. ALA Undertaker vs Jeff harder ladder match 02.

Bad match. I can't blame either of them though. The Undertaker didn't look in good shape and I don't think that Roman Reigns is capable of carrying the match alone. He's good but yet to become great in the ring.

That said, if this is the last match of The Undertaker, I didn't like it even more. Horrible.

As for what happened after the match, I did like it and did feel as if The Undertaker retired indeed. The sendoff was pretty emotional and I hope that it's indeed the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back