• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WrestleMania 22: Could Have Been The Best Ever

The Brain

King Of The Ring
I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm not sure if this are is meant only for current ppvs. I was going to go to old school, but I don't think 2006 is really old school. I'll leave it for the mods to decide.

I liked WrestleMania 22. I thought it was a solid show. I thought this particular mania had kind of weak hype compared to others, but the show exceeded my expectations. Although I thought this was a good mania I think it could have been better. There was one person missing from the card that could have made WM22 possibly the best ever. Batista. Yes Batista. Here is how I picture the card if Batista wasn’t injured.

Batista vs. Randy Orton for the world title. Both were members of Evolution where Orton was being groomed to be the next big star and Batista was merely the muscle. Orton won the title at SummerSlam 2004 and was promptly kicked out of Evolution making him go face. Triple H quickly took the title off Orton and throughout the rest of 2004 it looked like a title match between Orton and HHH would headline WM21. By early 2005 Orton lost his momentum and Batista came out of nowhere to become the most popular guy on raw. Batista went on to take the title from HHH at WM21 and became a huge star while Orton struggled throughout 2005. Orton could have won the rumble and challenged Batista for the title at WM22. He could comment how Batista stole his spot. How he was supposed to be the breakout star from Evolution, not Batista. Batista could comment how Orton was too busy believing his own hype Batista was studying and learning from Ric Flair and HHH. He didn’t make the same mistake Orton did by getting beaten out of Evolution. He walked out on his own and never looked back. This was done about a year ago, but I think this would have come off so much better in 2006 when it was more fresh on our minds.

With Orton facing Batista for the title this would free up Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio. I would put Angle against The Undertaker. These two had a great match (match of the year in my opinion) a month earlier at No Way Out. I remember thinking at the time that it should have been at mania instead. If Batista were around maybe I would have gotten my wish. The match they had at nwo was definitely mania worthy and would be remembered as a mania classic. I would have also been much more intrigued by Kurt Angle threatening to end the streak than Mark Henry.

Now for Mysterio. I would have put him against Chris Benoit. Both inducted Eddie Guerrero into the hall of fame the night before as his death was still the most talked about thing in wrestling. These two didn’t need a manufactured storyline or any kind of build. As two of Eddie’s best friends they could simply say they want to go out there and put on a beautiful match at mania as a tribute to their friend. It could have been a straight babyface match where both men would shake hands and be satisfied with their performance regardless of the outcome.

Add those three matches and stories to what we actually got at WM22 and I think you’ve got an awesome card. Here’s what it looks like:

Big Show + Kane vs. Carlito and Masters: tag titles open the show
Money in the Bank: take out Lashley and add Booker, no need for Boogyman at mania
JBL vs. Lashley: US title, Lashley goes over winning his first title against a credible opponent hated by fans
Edge vs. Foley: awesome hardcore match
Trish Stratus vs. Mickie James: possibly the best womens feud and match ever
Chris Benoit vs. Rey Mysterio: great match to honor Eddie
Shawn Michaels vs. Vince McMahon: we know how that went
Undertaker vs. Kurt Angle: great opponent to try to stop the streak and great match
Batista vs. Randy Orton: explained above
John Cena vs. Triple H: great main event to end the show

That looks like an awesome mania to me. I guess it’s all irrelevant. Batista got hurt and what happened happened. It’s just something to think about. What do you think? Could Batista have made that big a difference or would the card have been pretty much the same anyway?

i agree Great idea yes i think batista would of made a big difference it would of been orton vs batista for the World title and u have to think about it this way if orton would of never fail that drug test he would of won this match if he did he would of lose, but still his card looks way better

I was a little hestitant reading this, especially when you said it was batista. But you really made some very good points and although you left out Henry.... he's had the oppertunity and the skill but never took it to the next level... so him being out of mania would have been fine. This would have been a good Mania, but I also think it was a good tribute to Eddy for rey to win the world title... so i think that's a little down. But otherwise good showing.

Wrestlemania 22 is one of my favorite wrestlemanias, and your idea of what it could have been sounds beter. Angle Vs Undertaker seems like it would be an amazing match.

At this time, Batista wasn't the same big star that he is today so I don't know if he would've made much of a difference to the card in terms of star power. Plus, I don't really care for him much anyway so perhaps this is just bias. Besides, he made his mark on the PPV anyway when he confronted Orton about making his return and taking back the world title.

That said, Wrestlemania 22 was fine just the way it was despite that horrendous Playboy match and the unnecessary Boogeyman match. The matches were great. Trish/Mickie exceeded my expectations. Angle/Orton/Mysterio was good and Cena/HHH was a great way to end the show. The crowd was really into the match and it told a great story. There really was no need to make Angle/Taker considering that they fought each other at the previous No Way Out PPV in a tremendous match.

All in all, Wrestlemania 22 was one of my favorite WWE PPVs and there really was no need to change the card, IMO.

At this time, Batista wasn't the same big star that he is today so I don't know if he would've made much of a difference to the card in terms of star power. Plus, I don't really care for him much anyway so perhaps this is just bias. Besides, he made his mark on the PPV anyway when he confronted Orton about making his return and taking back the world title.

That said, Wrestlemania 22 was fine just the way it was despite that horrendous Playboy match and the unnecessary Boogeyman match. The matches were great. Trish/Mickie exceeded my expectations. Angle/Orton/Mysterio was good and Cena/HHH was a great way to end the show. The crowd was really into the match and it told a great story. There really was no need to make Angle/Taker considering that they fought each other at the previous No Way Out PPV in a tremendous match.

All in all, Wrestlemania 22 was one of my favorite WWE PPVs and there really was no need to change the card, IMO.

My point wasn't because Batista was such a big star (but for the record he was). It was more to change things for the three involved in world title match. Batista vs. Orton would have been a great mania feud. It would have been much better in 2006 than in 2009. Also it would have freed up Angle and Mysterio into better matches. When I suggested Angle vs. Taker I meant at mania instead of No Way Out, not in addition to it. I never cared for the title match that actually happened. There didn't seem to be any real story other than Rey wanted to win for Eddie. What makes it worse is the match was less than ten minutes long. My way turns one not so great story/match into three great stories/matches. So my card isn't helped only because Batista gets on it, but because it reshapes the card for the better for others too.

My point wasn't because Batista was such a big star (but for the record he was). It was more to change things for the three involved in world title match. Batista vs. Orton would have been a great mania feud. It would have been much better in 2006 than in 2009. Also it would have freed up Angle and Mysterio into better matches. When I suggested Angle vs. Taker I meant at mania instead of No Way Out, not in addition to it. I never cared for the title match that actually happened. There didn't seem to be any real story other than Rey wanted to win for Eddie. What makes it worse is the match was less than ten minutes long. My way turns one not so great story/match into three great stories/matches. So my card isn't helped only because Batista gets on it, but because it reshapes the card for the better for others too.

Oh no, I'm not saying that Batista wasn't a big star at the time (I agree that he was) but IMO he's a bigger star now than he was four years ago. My bad, Brain. I guess I just didn't read the thread hard enough. When I think about it, Batista vs Orton would indeed have been much better recieved by the fans (mostly the IWC) four years ago than it would be now. It wouldn't have been viewed as "stale" as many people look at it now. And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe up until then, Batista and Orton had never gone one on one.

I also agree with you 100% on Rey having no real reason to win the world title other than for the purpose of providing Wrestlemania with a feel good moment due to Eddie's unfortunate passing. Still, I thought the triple threat was good for what it was worth. The build-up was done quite well IMO even though it culminated in an okay match and a forgettable world title reign by Mysterio. IMO, the triple threat was by no means bad but if the Angle/Taker match wasn't done at No Way Out, it would've torn the house down at Wrestlemania and provided a better Smackdown main event.

Could Wrestlemania 22 have been better? Of course. Now that I've read your reply I agree that had Batista not been injured (and Boogeyman/Booker and Playboy match were excluded) the card could've been better. But I feel WWE still did a great job with what they had and Wrestlemania 22 still remains one of my favorite Wrestlemanias in recent years.

Although I thought this was a good mania I think it could have been better. There was one person missing from the card that could have made WM22 possibly the best ever. Batista. Yes Batista.

I agree, this would have made the show a lot better. The show was great and just felt like it was missing something.... as well as the World title match/feud being one of the worst parts. That would have fixed both problems.

Orton could have won the rumble and challenged Batista for the title at WM22. He could comment how Batista stole his spot. How he was supposed to be the breakout star from Evolution, not Batista.

I really like this idea, it would have helped Orton during a time when he was not as good as he should have been. Rated-RKO ended up helping him with that later on, but this would have helped more. The feud could have been Orton being the jealous heel who was upset that he didn't get the big match against Trips a year before that at Wrestlemania 21. Too bad Batista got injured, which is the reason this could have never happened.

With Orton facing Batista for the title this would free up Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio. I would put Angle against The Undertaker. These two had a great match (match of the year in my opinion) a month earlier at No Way Out.

Sorry, but I disagree there. They JUST had a match at No Way Out. Do you really think many fans would still want to see it again at the next show? Plus, Mark Henry did suck but he made sense at the time. Angle could have been in some filler feud somewhere else on the card, against Rey maybe since they are both freed up feud-wise in this scenario?

Now for Mysterio. I would have put him against Chris Benoit. Both inducted Eddie Guerrero into the hall of fame the night before as his death was still the most talked about thing in wrestling. These two didn’t need a manufactured storyline or any kind of build.

I don't really agree there. Benoit should still have faced JBL and Rey could have feuded with Angle since neither of them would be in the world title match if Batista never got injured.

Add those three matches and stories to what we actually got at WM22 and I think you’ve got an awesome card. Here’s what it looks like:

The card (as it was) really wasn't bad. I'd make a few changes of my own and I'll share them after giving my thoughts on yours.

Yes, shouldn't be changed.

Money in the Bank: take out Lashley and add Booker, no need for Boogyman at mania

Disagree, this match should have stayed the same.

JBL vs. Lashley: US title, Lashley goes over winning his first title against a credible opponent hated by fans

This shouldn't have changed either.

Agreed 100%.

Agreed.

Benoit should still have faced JBL, it wasn't THAT bad of a match. Rey could have feuded with Angle instead in my opinion.

I guess keep it the same, I'm just not a fan of McMahon matches. Michaels did great like always at least.

Undertaker vs. Kurt Angle: great opponent to try to stop the streak and great match

No. They just had a match at the show before this one, the fans shouldn't have to sit through that again in a match where they KNOW Angle's going to lose. It shouldn't be changed and Henry did better than some other victims of Taker's.

Agreed completely. However, I would still keep the Playboy Pillow fight in the card the way it was and on the same spot so the fans have a chance to relax in between the two world title matches.

Agreed again. Keep it the way it was.

Ok, my turn. I would have basically kept the card exactly how it was but two things would change. Batista (who would still be champion) would face Orton for the World Championship. Rey VS Angle would replace Booker VS Boogeyman. That leaves Booker without a match, sorry Booker.... maybe he could have been Taker's victim instead of Henry? I dunno.

That looks like an awesome mania to me. I guess it’s all irrelevant. Batista got hurt and what happened happened. It’s just something to think about. What do you think? Could Batista have made that big a difference or would the card have been pretty much the same anyway?

I don't agree with some of your changes to the card in your version, but I definitely agree on Batista VS Orton being a better idea for the World Championship's match that year. If only Batista hadn't been injured. I wouldn't be surprised if that's very close to what was really being planned for Wrestlemania 22, up until Batista's injury.... So, yes, I think it would have made a big difference because it would have given the card that one little thing it was missing (a better world title feud/match) and eliminated the one pointless match on the show (Booker VS Boogeyman)

Sorry, but I disagree there. They JUST had a match at No Way Out. Do you really think many fans would still want to see it again at the next show? Plus, Mark Henry did suck but he made sense at the time. Angle could have been in some filler feud somewhere else on the card, against Rey maybe since they are both freed up feud-wise in this scenario?

Another poster misunderstood me on this too. I should have made it more clear. With my proposed mania card I would not have had Taker vs. Angle at No Way Out. The match would have taken place at Mania INSTEAD of No Way Out. Considering how big of stars those two were and how great a match it was I think it would have been great for mania. Much better than Mark Henry. Going with this would leave Mysterio without an opponent thus my reshaping of him, Benoit, JBL, etc.

I agree with The Brain,that would have been a kickass wrestlemania,I couldn't believe how they wasted Booker T. at wrestlemania it still makes me disguted,besides that how the hell did boogeyman even get on the damn card is still mindboggling to say the least.

I wasn't sure where to post this. I'm not sure if this are is meant only for current ppvs. I was going to go to old school, but I don't think 2006 is really old school. I'll leave it for the mods to decide.

I liked WrestleMania 22. I thought it was a solid show. I thought this particular mania had kind of weak hype compared to others, but the show exceeded my expectations. Although I thought this was a good mania I think it could have been better. There was one person missing from the card that could have made WM22 possibly the best ever. Batista. Yes Batista. Here is how I picture the card if Batista wasn’t injured.

Batista vs. Randy Orton for the world title. Both were members of Evolution where Orton was being groomed to be the next big star and Batista was merely the muscle. Orton won the title at SummerSlam 2004 and was promptly kicked out of Evolution making him go face. Triple H quickly took the title off Orton and throughout the rest of 2004 it looked like a title match between Orton and HHH would headline WM21. By early 2005 Orton lost his momentum and Batista came out of nowhere to become the most popular guy on raw. Batista went on to take the title from HHH at WM21 and became a huge star while Orton struggled throughout 2005. Orton could have won the rumble and challenged Batista for the title at WM22. He could comment how Batista stole his spot. How he was supposed to be the breakout star from Evolution, not Batista. Batista could comment how Orton was too busy believing his own hype Batista was studying and learning from Ric Flair and HHH. He didn’t make the same mistake Orton did by getting beaten out of Evolution. He walked out on his own and never looked back. This was done about a year ago, but I think this would have come off so much better in 2006 when it was more fresh on our minds.

With Orton facing Batista for the title this would free up Kurt Angle and Rey Mysterio. I would put Angle against The Undertaker. These two had a great match (match of the year in my opinion) a month earlier at No Way Out. I remember thinking at the time that it should have been at mania instead. If Batista were around maybe I would have gotten my wish. The match they had at nwo was definitely mania worthy and would be remembered as a mania classic. I would have also been much more intrigued by Kurt Angle threatening to end the streak than Mark Henry.

Now for Mysterio. I would have put him against Chris Benoit. Both inducted Eddie Guerrero into the hall of fame the night before as his death was still the most talked about thing in wrestling. These two didn’t need a manufactured storyline or any kind of build. As two of Eddie’s best friends they could simply say they want to go out there and put on a beautiful match at mania as a tribute to their friend. It could have been a straight babyface match where both men would shake hands and be satisfied with their performance regardless of the outcome.

Agree!!! Mark Henry vs Undertaker was pretty much the worst casket match ever!!!

Angle/Undertaker had their match a month earlier, I like your card but be realistic, Benoit was US Champion and Kurt was world champion, and the whole idea was to get the belt on Orton then Rey.

Realistically ANY Wrestlemania card could of been the best ever if you change and tweak matches dude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back