• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would You Rather Travel To The Past Or The Future?

The Brain

King Of The Ring
If you had the ability to travel through time but had to choose between traveling to the past or to the future which would you choose? If you pick the past you can travel back in time to any date (as many as you want) whenever you want but you will never be able to travel to the future. If you pick the future you can travel ahead to any date (as many as you want) whenever you want but you will never be able to travel to the past. You are an invisible observer who can not interact with anyone or impact anything that happens or discuss what you observe with anyone from present time. For example, if you pick the past you can’t go back in time and stop the 9/11 attacks. Likewise, if you pick the future, despite your knowledge of future events you can’t prevent anything from happening. If you travel one year into the future and see yourself get hit by a bus you can not do anything to stop that from happening. With either choice you are also able to pick any location in the world. So Doc Brown just pulled up in the Delorean with plenty of plutonium. Make your choice. Past or future?

Future and then abuse the fuck out of future knowledge to make money. Such as going to Vegas one day in the future, writing down a pattern of numbers, traveling back to the present and betting on the same pattern at exactly the same time the next day. No discussion took place, nothing was done to affect the sequence of events so it's Kosher.

Future and then abuse the fuck out of future knowledge to make money.

Yeah, I can see doing that. Since I couldn't interact with anyone in the future, I presumably also couldn't buy a newspaper to check out securities prices because I'd have to exchange money with whomever I'm buying it from, so what I'd do is go down to the New York Stock Exchange and watch the quote board as it rolls by before me. I wouldn't have to touch anything or talk to anyone.

Getting a glance at things as they exist in this future time would be more interesting to me than visiting the past and seeing what has happened already, since past events are readily available for our reading pleasure.

Sure, I'd be curious about seeing past stuff, but since this topic is asking us to choose, I'd rather view what's coming than what's already occurred.

Not being able to re-write history or change the future takes out all the fun, Brain! :p I'll still play by the rules here. So, past or future.... Which would I choose?

Well, let's see.... If I picked the past then I could see legendary events I've heard about my whole life unfold in front of my eyes, which would truly be awesome to see. Or any stories anyone I'm close to has told me, I'd have the chance to travel back to view them from my own eyes. Not being able to change any of the negative past events does take away from the enjoyment, although everything does happen for a reason and we don't want to destroy the time space continuum or screw up the present. Even the chance to learn more about historic events or anything that happened to other people would be an opportunity I'd be interested in.

This works in both directions though. It'd be extremely interesting to see what happens to various people or places. If I picked the future but could not prevent future events from happening, I'd be rather interested in seeing what happens. I think I'd pick the past instead though. If you know what's going to happen but cannot change it, then when it happens it's so much less exciting. Much like when you read spoilers for a wrestling event, now you already know what happens but you cannot re-book the decisions you disagree with, thus most people are less likely to watch the show itself now. Same principle works here. As tempting as it may be to find out what happens, if I cannot change anything I'd rather pick the past to learn more. I never was a fan of spoilers, I'd rather see things unfold if I have no chance at changing anything I dislike.

Can you please clarify this for me: Can you return to the "current" or "normal" time period some point? Are you immortal? In other words, if you go into the future, are you the same age you are right now and do you live as an "observer" forever? That's what I'm confused about. I understand that I can't interact with anyone.

I think I'd go in the past during the time of the Jurassic period just to check out what the dinosaurs really liked look. Also, I'd want to go back 6 billion years to the small puddle of water where amino acids began reacting, where life began (in my opinion) just so I'd have peace of mind. I guess I'd be kinda bored with that after, I dunno, 5 minutes :)

Well damn, Brain. Just make things harder on us.

I'd probably travel back into the past. Maybe it's just a feeling of nostalgia, but things just seemed to be simpler. I wouldn't want to travel to the future out of fear, probably. With the way things are going now in the world, I feel that the future would be a jacked up place to exist in. I feel that people are going to end up screwing the world up so bad that in the future, there's nothing nobody can do about it. How far into the future, hopefully pretty damn far. My childhood or Medieval Europe seems like a good place to go. My childhood, as I stated earlier, out of nostalgia and the simplicity of things when we were young. Medieval Times because I wouldn't have to live in a world where I'm worried about oil or technology. I could simply focus on the next harvest or keeping the next fire high instead of money and politics. I could simply sit with merry company with a pint of mead in my hand.

Can you please clarify this for me: Can you return to the "current" or "normal" time period some point? Are you immortal? In other words, if you go into the future, are you the same age you are right now and do you live as an "observer" forever? That's what I'm confused about. I understand that I can't interact with anyone.

Think of time traveling as something you can do in your spare time. You are not immortal and not only can you return to your normal time period but you will have to continue living your normal life. For example, I might want to do some time traveling today but I have to work my normal job so I'll have to wait until I have free time later tonight.

Future and then abuse the fuck out of future knowledge to make money. Such as going to Vegas one day in the future, writing down a pattern of numbers, traveling back to the present and betting on the same pattern at exactly the same time the next day. No discussion took place, nothing was done to affect the sequence of events so it's Kosher.

You aren't able to do anything that would change the future. If you go to the future for the first time and observe yourself unemployed and struggling financially you wouldn't be able to go break the bank at Vegas to change that. It is what it is. You're just a powerless observer.

You aren't able to do anything that would change the future.

And I wouldn't be changing the future. The balls that come up would be the same.

If you go to the future for the first time and observe yourself unemployed and struggling financially you wouldn't be able to go break the bank at Vegas to change that.

Actually yes I could. Very easily. Just because I'm in financial difficulties at a specific point in my life doesn't mean I will be for the rest of my life. Case in point JK Rowling being on benefits before Harry Potter. I might not be able to use my time travel abilities to prevent the financial difficulties but there's nothing stopping me from using them to fix the problem once I reach them in real time.

It is what it is. You're just a powerless observer.

Really Brain? Because being a powerless observer in the future gives you a hell of a lot of power in the present. For all intents and purposes you have the ability to see into the future. Can you not see how that could be very rewarding for your bank account?

You could see the lottery numbers before they're drawn and buy the winning ticket, invest in things that you know pay off in the future (after all, you can go check before you lay your money down. Hell, your investment would be the reason it became successful). Knowledge of future trends doesn't allow you to influence the future but it does allow you to exploit the fuck out of it.

You aren't able to do anything that would change the future. If you go to the future for the first time and observe yourself unemployed and struggling financially you wouldn't be able to go break the bank at Vegas to change that. It is what it is. You're just a powerless observer.

Yes, you're a powerless observer while witnessing that future time, but based on what you see, you can alter your present circumstances to effect a change in your future. If I saw myself in the future, unemployed and struggling financially while living in, say, New York City, I would move myself to another state and start over, thereby changing my fortunes. I might end up in worse shape by doing this, but I would still be changing my future; altering what I saw as an observer in that future time.

Also, to be morbid, I could change the future I witnessed by going back to the present and killing myself, no?

I think I'm going to have to choose the past here, and not for any kind of exciting reason either, just one of curiosity.

The weekend before last I drove out to the Highlands to film a wedding where the area is generally as you expect; rolling hillsides, snow peaks jutting up on the horizon every now and then, winding roads, a few farmhouses etc. Over the years, not many developments have really taken place save for phone lines and roads and to a certain degree, deforestation.

As I drove closer to home through suburban areas, I began to wonder how long ago they would have more closely resembled the area the wedding was held in. I thought about this when I got home too, as well as when I was walking to my other job the next day too.

So what I would do is go far back in the past and see how my city had developed through the years from before it was even a settlement or township or the like. It would probably be a bit of a mindfuck but like I said, I'm curious.

As much fun as it would be to go to the future and bring back a "Greys Sports Almanac", I think I would go to the past too. I hold a degree in history, and have often wondered what it would be like to actually witness the things that I could only read about in a book. Travel to the Parthenon when it was in it's splendor, watch the pyramids being built, the attack on Pearl Harbor, watch men walk on the moon, etc. I am content to let the future be the future, unwritten. It's not that I wouldn't be curious about knowing what's going to happen, but I think I would learn more by travelling to the past, seeing how humanity got to be the way it is.

I think just about everyone who has seen BTTF Part 2 has fantasized about obtaining a Greys Sports Almanac, but I think Brain was specifically trying to prevent something like that with the rules. Even if you just memorized a future event, because you can't bring home a newspaper from the future or something, in the original time stream, you didn't bet on that sporting event, so you wouldn't be allowed to after observing the future-results either. I am taking Brain's non-interference rule to be absolute. No taking future knowledge back to the present and then trying to exploit it for any reason.

Louis CK has this hilarious bit about traveling in time to the past is strictly a white person thing. Black people would not wanna go back anywhere passed 1970 or something... which, is honestly so true.

I'm not black, but I'm not white either. As a hispanic dude, I'd be nervous if I were walking around in 1776. I'd just wanna see something historic and then out of nowhere somebody is probably gonna try and sell me.

Here's that Louis bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

This is a great thread idea and quite a challenging question really, something to really think about.

With the rules set in play that I can not change the past, or do anything to effect the future, that does take some of the fun out of it. I think if the rules were slightly different to where you could go to the future, find out the winning lottery numbers for a given date, and then come back and play them or something to that effect, just about anyone would do that. The temptation to not do something to better yourself would simply be too great. I could see someone going to the future and seeing some kind of technology that does not yet exist, and then using that idea to get rich in the present. It could be something as simple as one of the items sold on infomercials like the Snuggie, Eggies, The Gator Grip, or some kind of odd thing like that-that makes you a millionaire over night almost.

Still, it would be really cool to see the future and how far man advances in say another 1500 years. What if you did go into the future that far though, and you found out that something biblical took place or something? Like what if you showed up in post-rapture society where the second coming of Christ has just occurred and the whole world is going to hell? That would be fucked up!

I guess since I couldn't change anything, I could only observe, than I would choose to go to the past. Arriving at a post-apocalyptic reality wouldn't be too much fun. If I went to the past, at least I could see the stuff I've always been fascinated by in history. I would go see the Parthenon, I would LOVE to see ancient Rome at it's heights, or ancient Egypt at it's heights. Maybe a trip to medieval times would be cool, or as someone else mention, go all the way back to the time of the dinosaurs. Even to go back just to the post WWII America and see how "Leave It To Beaver" America really was would be interesting, or go to the 60's and see what Woodstock was really like. Go back to the Kennedy assassination multiple times to view it from multiple places and see if there really were guys behind the fence by the grassy knoll, or go to the book depository where Oswald supposedly shot Kennedy and see if he shot at all? Find out who really did it, just for your own piece of mind. Go to the site of the Roswell crash and see if aliens really did crash on Earth, or if it was just a weather balloon? I guess the possibilities are almost endless, and it would be a lot more fun in retrospect considering the circumstances and rules, to go to the past over and over.

Easy. I'd go to the past. I would seriously abuse the fuck out of that time machine.

I'd go back to the time of creation. Find out how we evolved after coming out of the primordial ooze. Enjoy that bit of knowledge. Then I'd fast forward to the dinosaurs, check out a T-Rex battling a foe or a triceratops using them horns to save itself. Hell yeah. That would be phenomenal. If possible I'd want to try and see if the Megalodon was really as big as is said.

Go to Greece and watch the Battle of Thermopylae. I'd love to see King Leonidas in action as well as seeing if the Persian arrows really did block out the sun. I've read that quote was real, would love to see if it actually happened.

Check out the last supper and the crucifixion of Christ, see exactly what that was like.

So much in history. I'd have to see the writing of the Declaration of Independence, major battles of the American Revolution. See what George Washington was like as the Commander-in-Chief and later as the President. Check out Thomas Jefferson in office since he is one of my favorite Presidents. See Andrew Jackson beat his assassin with his cane. Hell yeah. Lincoln when he was kicking vampire ass. Oh that wasn't real? Shit. Well check out the Gettysburg Address and his assassination. Move forward to Theodore Roosevelt since he was a badass. Check out his days of life. Then after FDR I'd check out JFK and see what his affairs with Marilyn Monroe were like. Also would see his assassination.

Another post will include the sporting events that I would check out.

The past without a doubt I would travel to all sorts of historical events like watch the Gettysburg address live or ride a triceratops in the jungle and fight a T-Rex one of the first things I would do is go to 1984 and see Black Flag play. Also I would love to see Descendents and Minutemen play a show back in the 80s. I can't forget about Hendrix and The Doors I would do anything to see those too performed live There is so much more excitement in the past then the future. If I were to go to the future I would do something like Biff did with the Sports Almanac

Definitely the past. I'd love to go back in time to see the prophets in person and watch their stories as told in the Bible, play out. Would be most interested in seeing the battle between David & Goliath, Noah's ark, Moses in Egypt, Jesus on the cross, Jonah and the whale, all the prophet's stories fascinate me. I've always been curious about life in the 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's, would love to know it felt like to live in those times and be a wrestling fan since it's much different from today and the 90's. I'd like to go back to the 90's where everything was just going good for me and I had great moments as a kid. I wouldn't want to go to the future for anything. In the present I'm miserable, and seeing the future would likely just get me depressed as life gets tough as shit when you're becoming an adult.

Future.
I'm the kind of guy that lives in the past, so this may seem a bit ironic, but if I had the ability to travel to the future, God knows I would end up doing so in a negative manner. I'd much rather go to the future anyway- need to find me a freaking lightsaber and slice the crap out of -insert source of ire here.-
But seriously, although the past would be interesting (I've always wanted to see the past wars first-hand, esp. WWII), I think the future would be more interesting, esp. if it's anything like The Jetsons.

I would go to the past. The future holds mystery and yes, the ability to make your present life an infinite amount better, but if I don't work for any of that I'll never fully enjoy it. I don't think I could ever live with knowledge of things that could potentially happen in the future. Nuclear wars, regimes falling, terrible mass murders, etc etc. If I couldn't effect it, and with no way to make people believe me, I'd probably get too depressed and kill myself.

The first thing I'd do is go back as far as I can and figure out how everything became everything. Not to prove or disprove religion, but just to give myself peace. To know. I can handle there being God, and I can handle there being no god. But to know once and for all, to be the person on the planet that knows 100% how the world was created and how we all came to be here...I could live my life in peace. Then I think I'd start going through significant periods in history. I'd probably follow Jesus around for his few years of ministry; somehow work my way into the Bible.

It might sound dark, but I think I'd go back and relive tragedies, just to have a real emotional attachment to them. We live in such a interesting period of time, and the only major thing to really strike most of us in our life is 9/11, to which I still have very little attachment. If I've got all the time in the world, I'd go back and pay real tribute to the past by connecting myself with it in its great moments, and in its depression.

I'd probably go to the most epic concert from every band I've ever liked. Rooftop shows by the Beatles, Queen w/ Freddie, that kind of thing. I'd go to every WrestleMania, that's for damn sure. And then, I'd probably re-live the entirety of the 90's, just for nostalgia' sake. And yes...as an invisible bystander, there would be a good deal of spying on hot chicks involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back