Would You Like To See The Royal Rumble Match Be For The WWE/WHW Championship Again?

PlayTheGame

The Cerebral Assassin
They did this back in '92 when the title was vacated, and Flair won the title in one the best Rumbles to ever take place. I think they should do this again within in the next few years, as I think it could be a nice twist to an already important PPV.

I think the popular answer might be to not have this happen, as it then nullifies the true purpose of the Rumble (to see who gets a title shot at the main event of Mania), but even considering that I dont think I would mind to have it differently for just one year. It would make for a truly special rumble, and I'm quite surprised that they havent done it again, as the WWE is sort of notorious for re-using old storylines/ideas.

Anyway, what do you think?

They did this in 2006 aswell with having the Royal Rumble match and then Cena beating Edge and then Kurt Angle defeating Mark Henry to retain the World Heavyweight Championship and then The Undertaker came out and made himself known to Angle and put Angle on notice as the last thing on the show.

But, no, I don't want the title matches after the Royal Rumble because I think the Royal Rumble should be last, since it has a PPV named after itself and is basically the feature attraction and is what gets people invested in the PPV itself. I just think it's a better ending for the PPV to see who wins the Rumble and them pointing at the WrestleMania sign with confetti falling everywhere because it's what we all want to see, who is going to WrestleMania.

Edit: My bad, ignore this post completely.

They did this in 2006 aswell with having the Royal Rumble match and then Cena beating Edge and then Kurt Angle defeating Mark Henry to retain the World Heavyweight Championship and then The Undertaker came out and made himself known to Angle and put Angle on notice as the last thing on the show.

But, no, I don't want the title matches after the Royal Rumble because I think the Royal Rumble should be last, since it has a PPV named after itself and is basically the feature attraction and is what gets people invested in the PPV itself. I just think it's a better ending for the PPV to see who wins the Rumble and them pointing at the WrestleMania sign with confetti falling everywhere because it's what we all want to see, who is going to WrestleMania.

... I think you misunderstood the point of the thread, I'm asking if you would like for the Rumble match itself to be for one of the top titles, a la Flair's win in '92. I, for one, think it would be entertaining and something fresh, as it hasnt been done in awhile. Like I said before, I'm actually surprised that the WWE hasnt done it since '92.

So, what do you guys think?

Just think how awesome the Rumble would be every year if we could actually see John Cena, Edge, Jeff Hardy, etc. compete in it. Without the title matches on the card, we would have ALL the big names in the business competing not only for the right to go to Wrestlemania, but to go to the big dance AS the champion!
I think if the Royal Rumble became a title match again, they could use the Elimination Chamber at No Way Out to determine the #1 Contender at Wrestlemania. This way, we keep title matches on the BIG PPVs, and the fillers become much more important.

Yeah, I definitely would like to see WWE pull this off again in the next few years. I think it would be great, and for sure less predictable then the Rumble has become the last few years.

Ah yes, my bad, I just woke up and didn't read your post properly, my bad.

No, I don't think they should do it again, I don't see why they would need to. The whole purpose now is to win the Rumble and go on to WrestleMania to challenge for it. Unless they wanted to have the two Elimination Chamber matches again at No Way Out for a RAW and SmackDown number 1 contender for their brands championships at WrestleMania, but they've already changed that to have the championships defended. I don't like it when championships are defended in over the top battle royals anyway.

I'm not suprised they haven't done it really because I think that it would hurt the Royal Rumble to have the winner get the championship instead of embarking on the Road to WrestleMania which I think is more important to go on the Road to WrestleMania and have a big build up, culminating in winning the championship in the main event.

I would like to see the a royal rumble match for a world titles but that bad thing is there is two world titles and if they did then the other world title would mean nuthing compare to that one and the reason why it work in 92 is cause there was only one world title at the time

I think it's a huge peice in the "Road to Wrestlemania", so I don't think they would, but I wouldn't mind it, seeing as they have the luxury of the E.C. a month later to find out the challengers.

The only problem would be one of the belts wouldn't be getting much hype headed into WM.

To be honest, the Royal Rumble's original concept is being clouded and forgotten in a large part anyways. With the Elimination Chambers at No Way Out being a way to either crown a new Champion, or a #1 Contender.. I think it'd be a good thing, to make the Royal Rumble a way to determine a new Champion again. Like 1992.

Plus, it'd give you a reason to put all your MAJOR stars in the 30 man Royal Rumble, instead of having fill-ins with no purpose, like J.T.G.

If you think about it, the likes of; John Cena, Batista, Triple H., Edge, The Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Big Show, Rey Mysterio, Kane, J.B.L., C.M. Punk, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, etc, etc.. it'd add such a new element to the Rumble that hasn't truly been around in a very long time.. and that's the element of surprise. Not knowing who's actually going to come out as the winner.

Each year, it's obvious anymore who will win the Rumble. And it's depressing and sickening. Anyone not guessing Randy Orton this year, was clearly not following storylines. John Cena's shocking return last year was indeed a surprise, but one that's few and very far between.

Like I said, since the Elimination Chamber is now being hosted at No Way Out, I think they could be used to determine a very worthy #1 contender at Mania, while the actual Rumble can be used to determine a World Heavyweight Champion. At least one more time, possibly even as soon as next year. Have the title stripped around Armageddon. Then put up in the Rumble.

Don't think so, championship matches are allready overloaded with interttuptions and shit endings. They should be 1 on 1, triple threat or 4 way elimination.

Royal Rumble is a way to give 30 other guys a spot on the show, ya don't need to be taking a spot with a person who already is a champion. Jericho kinda touched on this on Raw, saying how legends invoved themselves in the Rumble which took away a spot from someone who could've started there career or got a push.

1992 they did it cause it woulda been too long to wait til WrestleMania (the next PPV) to crown a champion. and Flair had just come in not long b4 so hegot an huge push straight away.

Didn't Vince McMahon's only title win occur at the Royal Rumble match after he lasted from number 1 or 2 along with Austin. then went onto face Austin at Valentines day massacre the following month in a old school steel cage match and Paul Wight (Big Show) debuted. Vince cracked his sternum in that match by falling through the announcers table which gave him his patented Vince Strut.

Yeah i'd like to see a world title defended in a Rumble one year. That's it though, 1 yr. You couldnt change it for every year, but one every 10 or 15 yrs would be pretty sweet. And as mentioned above, you could use NWO for the #1 contendership. It would be something different and fresh but again, not every year. The main focus of the Rumble needs to remain the same, Win and you get a title shot at WM. But every now and then they could put the title on the line at TRR...

i wouldnt mind seeing it again but like someone posted earlier it would have to be under the circumstance that the title has been stripped from someone say around armageddon due to injury or foul play

but it would make one world title less meaningful unless the other title was defended in aother huge match like a hell in a cell or steel cage match

it wouldnt seem fair to have a the rumble for wwe title and have the world heavyweight title match just a regular one on one match earlier in the card

plus this opens up the opportunity of having the tag/us/ic titles being defended at the rumble as there would be a free slot open due to one of the world titles being on the line in the rumble

doing this every once in a while would do som good i reckon

I'd like to see this happen soon, I think it can work because at No Way Out 2008, they had 2 Elimination Chambers & both were used to determine a number 1 contender for the WWE title & World Heavyweight title. So I think they could do this next year with whoever is the champion vacates the title & Vince or whoever is the GM at the time decides that whoever wins the Royal Rumble match will become champion, then at the next PPV, No Way Out, they can have an elimination chamber to determine a number 1 contender for the title at Wrestlemania.

I'd be in favor of the Rumble being for the title. Of course, I think that the title would have to be vacant at the time just as when Flair won it. This could also be a time to unify the the WWE/World Heavyweight championships too. But that a whole 'nother issue, right? I agree with previous posts that it would also be a great way to get all, if not just more, of the big names back in the rumble instead of the filler. Rumble has always been a good time to give us a few surprise moments (remember Maven eliminating the Undertaker?).

Its something that hasn't been done in over 16 years and seeing as how the 92 Rumble is my favorite Royal Rumble I wouldn't mind seeing another one being for a title.

Ehh I dislike this option for a lot of reasons

1.) Which title would it be for? If you pick one then would the other be contested on the card? I could see it if down the line the brand split ceases to be, then a royal rumble could be used with much more clarity

2.) I think a world title should only be decided in a one on one match. Leave the elimination chambers, fatal 4 ways, triple threats, and even the god awful championship scrambles for ways to name a number one contender. Think back to 1993. Luger and Bret Hart won "simultaneously", now aside from the batista/cena finish from a few years ago, today the winner would be decided in a triple threat at wrestlemania. However back then they had luger face then champion yokozuna first, then bret followed suit.

I don't mind the idea, but I wouldn't do it at the present time, mostly for the number of people in the title picture.

After Triple H retires, or steps out of the spotlight, and after Edge, Cena, and Orton have been serious contenders, than maybe would be the right time. Have two of them in a major feud for one, and have total chaos on the other show. Kind of like how RAW was without a GM or champ for a while. Then, have the top 10-15 stars in a Royal Rumble/Battle Royal match, with the winner being the champion. It'd set up a few feuds if they give some wrestlers good spots, and would give them a title picture, if they let the last 3 or 4 have a good fight to finish it.

It's not perfect, and never could be, but it'd work as a quick fix, and be entertaining.

It can't happen on a yearly basis, but why not for a one-off thing. 2 world title matches and the royal rumble is a bit too uch in my opinion, so getting rid of one of the title atches and putting a world title on the line in the ruble wouldn't be such a bad idea. The only problem with this is that it takes away a sesnse of earning the title shot, sure winning an eliination chaber to become number 1 contender is hard but not as difficult as winning the royal rumble (the hardest match to win). Another proble is it reduces the aount of time to build feuds up for mania, so instead of the 10 weeks build up there would only be 7. In addition it takes away the aspect of the rumble winner been able to choose which brands title to choose, which always brings an added interest.

I agree that it would work if it was a one time thing. And since there are two world titles in the wwe currently it makes even more sense. You have the vacant WWE Championship on the line in the royal rumble. The winner of the rumble is not only the new wwe champion but also earns the right to challenge the world heavyweight champion to a match at wrestlemania. This sets up a champion vs. champion, titel unification match at wrestlemania. Thats a solid way to build up to an epic wrestlemania match and i think it would be cool to see something like that happen one year when they finally want to have an undisputed champion. Thoughts on this storyline?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back