Would things have been any different?

Cookie14

Smart-Ass
This started out on as a difference of opinion on another thread, and I wanted to open it up to everyone.

Simple question. Would Chris Jericho have made as much impact in WWE if Shawn Michaels had never been injured, and had to take 4 years out?

Jericho made his debut at the peak of the Attitude Era, just as the Monday Night wars were really reaching a peak. His debut had been hyped for monthes with the Millenium countdown clock (though it was not revealed to be Jericho until the clock hit zero), and he went straight into a fued with the Rock. The biggest name in WWE, possibly in wrestling as a whole at that time.
He then went on to play a major part of the Invasion storyline as a part of the Team WWF that won the 'Winner take All' match at Survivor Series, even attacking the Rock after he was eliminated.
He then went on to become the first Undisputed Champion in WWE history, defeating Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Rock on the same night to take the title.

However, would this have been any different had HBK still been in WWE at that time?

I think it would have been a lot different, mainly because of the similarities between the two. They both had a cocky, arrogant attitude. The 'I'm going to do what I want, say what I want, and get what I want because of it' attitude that made them popular, without them even having to try.
Their in ring style was also very similar, with both prefering a technical style, mixed with high flying.
They even looked the same (apart from Jericho's beard) with the long, blonde hair tied back. Even down to the long tights. They were amont the only people who wore those at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I stilll think Jericho would be a huge star in WWE today, but I think he would have taken longer to get there, maybe spending a few years around the IC title, like Kurt Angle was doing at the same time, but maybe for ablittle bit longer.

Sorry it got so long winded, just wanted to try and get all points across.

What do you think?

I don't think it would of made much of a difference. He would of been in the midcard for the first couple of years. Regardless of who was in the main event. If Michaels was still there it may of even helped Jericho reach the main event faster. There was many people at the time Jericho debuted I being one. That would of loved to see that match.

The matches they had later on when Michaels returned where classics. If that feud would of happened sooner. When Michaels was younger and still in his prime. I would think that would of made Jericho a star sooner.

well that really depends doesn't it? would jericho's debut been hyped still? was his career gonna boom when a cocky arrogant superstar has already been introduced like shawn? Shawn would've came back and instead of chris's career slowing it would've been someone else's

I THINK MAYBE CHRIS JERICHO JERICHO WAS INTRODUCED IN REPLACEMENT OF SHAWN MICHAELS.IF SHAWN WOULDN'T HAD AN INJURY,MAYBE JERICHO DEBUTED WITH A DIFFERENT STYLE.BUT I STILL THINK HE WOULD'VE SUCCESFUL ANYWAYS.DONT FORGET JERICHO WAS MAINLY POPULAR BECAUSE OF HIS WRESTLING STYLE.HIS CHARACTER ALSO HELPED HIM WHICH ALLOWED JERICHO TO CRACKED MANY HUMUROUS JOKES LIKE "STEFANIE IS MORE A BABYGIRL".

Personally, I think WWE saw them as being to similar to have them both. The reason I say this is because they look like they have tried to keep them apart. I know they have had 2 fueds with eachother.
But look at it this way. Jericho came into WWE about 18 months after Shawn was injured. Shawn returned and Jericho was out of WWE in about a year (I don't have the exact times, but it's about right)
When Jericho made his return, both characters had evolved so they were not as similar. Even with this, WWE still decided to change Jericho's look as well (hair cut, short trunks etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back