Would a NXT team work in a three way match at Survivor Series?

FoleyIsGod

Hardcore Legend
Im an old school fan, from way back in the late 80's and to me Survivor Series is about fueds being ended, supremacy and all that jazz. However, with NXT being, in my eyes, a legitimate third brand for the WWE, way moreoverthan the watered down ECW we ended up with.

Should the like of Joe, Roode, Nakamura etc have a true shot at the main two brands as if to say, "yes we are , and we are more than capable of beating you", especially in the eyes of a casual without access to the network.

I understand the attendance has changed when it comes to tapings, with Hijack chants and the like, and I think its great, however to the casual, who might watch the product once or twice a year, might go, oh look, Samoa Joe looks a beast, he is going after that pain in the arse John Cena bloke who I got sick of watching after 2006, or wi a full house singing along to Roodes music, they might give product another look.

Plus it would probably make 99% of the iwc mark out if Joe flattened AJ Styles as a rehash of TNA with a main event of Wrestlemania for Punk vs Joe 3(I can dream)

There are two separate ideas here. Using current NXT talent on Raw/SD, like when the Radicalz jumped from WCW, or Cornette's NWA stable in WWE or the Nexus? That could work well. "We've paid our dues all over the world, we want our time in the bright lights and we're taking it" works. Joe, Roode, Aries with or without AJ Styles or James Storm (or Eric Young) have a coherent storyline reason for being a faction, and storyline reasons for feuds with Styles, with any big longtime WWE star, etc.

But a dont-call-it TNA invasion is a different thing than putting the developmental TV brand on a level with the premier, casual-fan-friendly Raw and Smackdown brands. For one thing, the TV partners would not be thrilled with this, and WWE has to negotiate with them every 4 or 5 years. For another thing, part of the NXT brand is the gritty, underground, semi-hipster atmosphere--you can't pretend NXT fans don't feel superior to their Cena mark younger brothers. (I don't even know if the under-15s are into Cena these days or if they're all about the Shield guys.) Putting NXT up against the stars of Raw and Smackdown, the merchandise machines who must be protected for business reasons, and there's every chance that the Cenas and Ortons and Undertakers squash the upstarts like DX squashed the Spirit Squad.

It may be enjoyable but it is not worth it. You're basically giving the audience match ups that could have huge value in the future. I'm frustrated at the possibility of seeing Rollins and AJ battle tonight. I see that match as being a decent draw for what could be an amazing match. Having them fight tonight would water that down. Doing that with the NXT main eventers basically does that but almost to a worse extent.

Plus these Survivor Series finishes make guys look weak or have to end in screw jobs due to time constraints and the high number of eliminations that need to take place. No need to devalue anyone by adding to what essentially amounts to five more eliminations.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not a fan of Survivor Series matches and if things are going well in NXT, there is no reason to rush a group to compete on a higher level. Especially if the result is most likely not going to help them and steal some of the hype away from the event they hold the night before.

But it could be pretty entertaining.

That's a terrible idea. For multiple reasons.

First of all, the Survivor Series is a main roster show. It should be about Raw and Smackdown battling for brand supremacy. NXT is a developmental brand. As much as we love NXT, at the end of the day they are on a show intended to create the stars who get promoted up to Raw/Smackdown. NXT has no place at Survivor Series, sorry. They got to share the PPV weekend with the main roster by having their Toronto event last night during the same weekend as the main roster's show. Just like they did with the amazing Dallas event at Wrestlemania weekend and the last couple of major NXT Takeover's in Brooklyn for Summerslam weekend. Survivor Series needs to stay focused on only Raw and Smackdown.

Secondly, we have the tradition of Survivor Series elimination matches. I enjoy these and the elimination tag format as much as the next guy, however they have got to be a pain for the creative team to book. That complexity would increase significantly with a third team added to the list for a match. That's without even addressing the risk we run into of them doing one of the most idiotic things WWE ever does, tag team matches where three teams participate and people start tagging in people from other teams. I hate that nonsense and I am against a tag team match of any kind with more than two teams for that reason.

Lastly, let's consider if this was for a three way match in singles competition instead of the elimination tag matches. If they had Samoa Joe out there against Kevin Owens and AJ Styles in a three way match for supremacy of the World Champions, it is a lose-lose situation. If Joe wins then it makes Owens and Styles look REALLY bad because he is on the developmental show. If Joe loses, there goes his momentum from the title win last night. Same goes for the women. Asuka has yet to lose a major match, so losing to Charlotte or Becky in a women's triple threat would be bad for Asuka, while if she won then that makes the whole main roster women's division look bad.

No thanks. NXT should not compete on a main roster show PERIOD unless there is going to be an NXT counterpart to the Money In The Bank briefcase.

I can see both sides of the argument here. On one hand, you have the division being Major League vs. Minor League. On the other hand, you have the WWE SuperStars vs. the SuperStars of the other Professional Sports Wrestling Entertainment companies. What about having 5 Raw mid-carders vs. 5 NXT SuperStars and having 5 Smackdown mid-carders vs. another 5 NXT SuperStars?? If an NXT team wins, that team gets contracts to that losing Brand.

It doesnt work that way. NXT is developmental. As soon as you present talents at RAW or Smackdown or on some PPV they are not developmental anymore. Meaning they start with serious money, contracts, PPV checks, all what they dont have because, you know, they are developmental. Only way that could work is invasion of some sort. And they still would not be NXT, because, you know, as soon as they are on RAW to promote that match or on main PPV, they are main roster allready.

Nopes.

I wouldn't want this to happen as this would affect both programming badly. I would rather wait for them to be called up then to see them lose to the main roster guys without even being called up.

There's no need to schedule a crossover betwen these two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back