Worst PPV Ever Candidates? (AKA X Rants on Road Wild '98)

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
So I'm sitting here watching WCW Road Wild 1998, and I've come to the conclusion that this might just be the single worst PPV in wrestling history. Atleast of the "big two" in the 90s. I mean this is right up there with King of the Ring 1995 in terms of suckitude. I'm halfway through this show and it feels like I've been watching it for 5 hours. Public Enemy and the Dancing Fools had quite possibly the shittiest hardcore match ever, made even worse by the fact that it went almost 20 FUCKING MINUTES and half of that literally (and I do mean literally, this is not an exaggeration) was PE setting up a triple-table spot while Disco Inferno lays on the mat for ten fucking minutes off of a few punches.

So then Rey Mysterio and Psicosis come up and I'm thinking "Sweet, finally something good on this show". They then proceed to have one of the most boring matches I've ever seen in my life. Crowd is totally dead, it's 16 minutes long and probably 15 of those minutes are rest-holds before Rey finally finishes it with a sloppy hurricanrana. One of the worst matches by two great workers that I've ever seen.

Jericho vs. Juvy is up next and it's supposed to actually be a good match. After that though? Ugh, we've got Jay Leno and DDP vs. Hogan and Bischoff, and an 8 man battle royal for the world title (a battle fucking royal on PPV for a world title?). Oh and did I mention the classic undercard, featuring such dream matches as Meng vs. Barbarian, Stevie Ray vs. Chavo Guerrero, and a mediocre triple threat between Raven, Saturn, and Kanyon.

So yeah, what are some of your picks for the worst PPV ever?

Armageddon 2004. The only thing I remember was the main event which seemed to go on forever.

I actually just watched that like a week ago. It was bad, definitely, but I enjoyed the opening tag between RVD/Rey and Rene Dupree/Kenzo Suzuki (probably the best match either of those two were ever in) and even though the main event did drag at times, I thought it was pretty decent. Otherwise though, yeah, bad show. Really bad.

OH MY GOD SOMEONE POKE MY EYES OUT it's Bryan Adams vs. Mongo McMichael....OH MY GOOOODDDDD! I thought this match was just an urban legend!

From what I read a week ago on here, WCW Greed was considered pretty bad for the final PPV of the company - or just being a PPV in general.

WCW BATB 2000 was bad too. You didn't even get the main event that was advertised. Booker T winning was a good moment but there was no indication that he was going to be on the show. The undercard sucked too.

From what I read a week ago on here, WCW Greed was considered pretty bad for the final PPV of the company - or just being a PPV in general.

It was bad, but it also had an incredible cruiserweight tag match between Rey Mysterio/Billy Kidman and Kid Romeo/Elix Skipper so I wouldn't call it the worst ever. That match was balls-to-the-wall awesome.

December to Dismember 2006. Enough said. And the fact they MNM and The Hardyz stole the show doesn't even matter because they had an epic Ladder match with two other teams on PPV a mere two weeks later (I think it was two weeks).

Recently I ordered Vengeance 2004 from Amazon. On paper this had potential. Randy Orton vs. Edge for the IC title and Benoit vs. Triple H for the World Heavyweight title. These two matches were the very reasons I ordered it. Oh my God, was I disappointed. What had potential for an excellent IC title match turned into 15 mins of rest holds that buried a semi-decent ending that led to Orton's WHC win at Summerslam. How could two of my favorite in-ring performers of all time disappoint in the main event? Oh, Eugene... Now granted, a lot of people rip on Eugene, but Dinsmore did a pretty damn good job playing his character.. But there was absolutely NO need to have him cost Triple H the title and get Benoit over. There's my vote. There are probably worse pay per views, but since I recently watched this, this is what get's my nod.

Lies. Chavo vs. Rey stole that show, FK.

I certainly envy you folks who feel a burning desire to review every wrestling show ever televised.

Oh don't worry Coco I wasn't reviewing the show, I was just bored. I'm not going to even start reviewing WCW shows until I get through the gigantic pile of puro that's been on my night stand for the last 3 months. I"m sure I'll get to reviewing the WCW PPVs in like...five years. Maybe.

That Chavo/Rey match at GAB 04 was boss though, yeah. Bullrope match was good too.

Jericho vs Juvy on Road Wild ended up being pretty good, ***1/4 ish. Everything else on that show made me want to claw my eyes out.

Starrcade 2000 did have that awesome, awesome ladder match though. Easily the best ladder match WCW ever had.

That match works for people who care about that sort of thing. I usually don't, and I didn't care about a single wrestler working in that match.

Road Wild 1998, on the other hand, featured Mysterio vs. Psychosis and Juventud vs. Jericho.

Outside of that opening ladder match, Starrcade '00 had absolutely nothing. I suppose we'll agree to disagree, but I cannot rank anything lower than Starrcade '00, especially since it was their #1 PPV. Slamboree comes close, but it wasn't supposed to be as big of a deal as Starrcade, so it stays at #2.

That match works for people who care about that sort of thing. I usually don't, and I didn't care about a single wrestler working in that match.

To each their own. That was easily like, the best spotfest WCW ever put on though. An actual contender to be in the same breath as the TLC matches of the same time.

Road Wild 1998, on the other hand, featured Mysterio vs. Psychosis and Juventud vs. Jericho.

Juvy/Jericho was good, but Mysterio vs. Psicosis on Road Wild '98 was fucking GARBAGE. Easily one of the single worst matches I have ever seen Mysterio or Psicosis in, I felt like I was watching Lex Luger vs. Meng or some shit and not a cruiserweight match. Nothing but chinlocks, a dead crowd, lots of stalling, and some sloppy near-botches. I saw that on the card and was like "Oh hey, this should be good". Nope, instead it's like a * match.

Outside of that opening ladder match, Starrcade '00 had absolutely nothing. I suppose we'll agree to disagree, but I cannot rank anything lower than Starrcade '00, especially since it was their #1 PPV. Slamboree comes close, but it wasn't supposed to be as big of a deal as Starrcade, so it stays at #2.

Terrible PPV for sure, I just love that ladder match. **** in my book and any WCW PPV at that point in time with a match that hit **** is saying alot more than most of their shows.

Was Road Wild that shit PPV WCW had which had the ring surrounded by bikers?

I remember borrowing a video of one of those PPVs off a friend of mine, and thinking it sucked...I cant really remember which it was but I am pretty sure Meng was on the card, and I think Rey Mysterio, Pcicosis and perhaps Raven or Kanyon...

Sorry, but thats all I can remember

And it was wank

Was Road Wild that shit PPV WCW had which had the ring surrounded by bikers?

I remember borrowing a video of one of those PPVs off a friend of mine, and thinking it sucked...I cant really remember which it was but I am pretty sure Meng was on the card, and I think Rey Mysterio, Pcicosis and perhaps Raven or Kanyon...

Sorry, but thats all I can remember

And it was wank

Yep that's the one. They held it at the Sturgis motorcycle rally every year where they would get like 10,000 random bikers to show up (for free mind you). They of course were a terrible crowd for the shows. I remember at Road Wild 96 they started booing the fuck out of a Chris Benoit vs. Dean Malenko match because the match was being ordered to go an extra five minutes after the 20 minute time limit expired. I wanted to dropkick that entire audience in the face, that is something you wildly cheer for. That match was excellent too, but because the crowd was a bunch of drunk bikers who didn't know shit about the product, it came off like no one gave a shit.

New Blood Rising anyone?

The Storm VS Awesome match had maybe the absolutely worst booking of all time, no kidding. And how WCW blatantly tried to completely destroy everything wrestling was based on later that night with Goldberg and the commentary surrounding... no words can express that.

Yep that's the one. They held it at the Sturgis motorcycle rally every year where they would get like 10,000 random bikers to show up (for free mind you). They of course were a terrible crowd for the shows. I remember at Road Wild 96 they started booing the fuck out of a Chris Benoit vs. Dean Malenko match because the match was being ordered to go an extra five minutes after the 20 minute time limit expired. I wanted to dropkick that entire audience in the face, that is something you wildly cheer for. That match was excellent too, but because the crowd was a bunch of drunk bikers who didn't know shit about the product, it came off like no one gave a shit.

Ahhh I remember this now, thanks for answering X.

In Jericho's book he mentions about how awful the PPV was, as none of the bikers even cared about the wrestling and Bischoff only organised the PPV as he was a biker and would ride across the country to the rally with his buddies as his holiday each year. Such an ego on that guy haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back