World Championship Wrestling, circa 2000

MrHashasheen

Enjoying Wrestling
World Championship Wrestling will always be remembered as the promotion that managed to humble the McMahon juggernaut and rule for two years straight over professional wrestling. The revolution started back in July 7, 1996, when ‘The Outsiders” Kevin Nash and Scott Hall teamed up with the legendary Hulk Hogan to defeat Randy Savage, Sting and Lex Luger. The creation of the New World Order had set the wrestling fandom ablaze. Why had Hulk Hogan, one of the greatest wrestlers of the generation turned heel? The answers to that would be found on Monday Night Nitro, in what would later be called the beginning of the Monday Night Wars.

For the next two years, World Championship Wrestling was the greatest promotion in the United States, beating out both the World Wide Wrestling Federation and Extreme Championship Wrestling (both of the “Big Three”), and rapidly grew from a second-rate promotion to one with a large cult-like following. However, with a growing and aspiring fandom, came the defeats that would help end the promotion. WCW was a hotbed for talented veterans who had already had amazing runs in the WWF, and many of whom had creative control placed into their contract as an incentive, people like Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and many, many more. This caused a top-heavy tier of heavyweights who refused to put over new wrestlers from the mid-card, and begin to grow stale as the WCW increasingly relied on the NWO to counter the WWF’s numerous angles and storylines based around new stars such as Triple H, The Rock, Steve Austin and the Undertaker as well as stealing away wrestlers such as Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Eddy Guerrero and Chris Jericho, who were swept away from WCW due to serious frustration with the booking committee and their tendency to promote veteran wrestlers. Equally frustrating were the various creative control contracts held by those same veteran wrestlers, preventing younger promising wrestlers from rising through the ranks.

It was a long road for Eric Bischoff, instigator of the Monday Night Wars and the creator of NWO storyline, more so with the still climbing Attitude Era and the success of the ECW as the third big promotion. As the company drew more and more inward into its home of Atlanta, Georgia, the young talent left in large numbers due to the top talent refusing to put them over, and money became thin, very thin. In desperation, the executives of AOL Time Warner brought in Vince Russo, the self-proclaimed genius behind the Attitude Era that was shaming the WCW in the ratings.

What followed were nonsensical storylines, wasted title shots and often rapid face heel and heel face turns. Rapidly falling even further in the ratings, the executives ultimately added on Eric Bischoff in order to create a balance of the ideas the two men had in the hopes that the combined team could turn things around. They were wrong, and the WCW fell into such dire straits with an annual loss of $ 60 million in its final full year, allowing the WWF to pick it up for less than $ 2.5 million in 2001, a pittance compared to its worth not three years earlier.

But the reality that once was can always be changed; can’t it? Let’s head back to the year 2000, and the month of January.

Just a few years removed from being the biggest wrestling promotion in the world, World Championship Wrestling came into 2000 with a very cloudy future. Bleeding money and having eroded its fan base through bad booking, bad pushes and bad spending, the promotion’s fate was sealed when Time-Warner began its merger with America On-Line. Almost immediately after Jamie Kellner made his position that professional wrestling was not desirable programming for AOL-TW official to Ted Turner, WCW was put on the chopping block in January of 2000. Without a deal to purchase the promotion coming through, one of the major powers of professional wrestling in America would die a humiliating death.

Former WCW President Eric Bischoff and his quickly formed investor group made an offer of approximately $5m. That offer was quickly matched by Vince McMahon, who had the right to match any offer due a lawsuit settlement, and then increased with a following offer of approximately $19.5m and featuring a more aggressive payment schedule. But before the deal was finalized, a third offer was made to for a much higher price and to be paid at the same rate as the WWF. It was accepted, and after speaking to both the other investors, was the final offer. There was talk that McMahon was furious at AOL-TW over the third offer being accepted and while he considered legal action, he did not pursue that possibility is as the original offer he made apparently upset Viacom, which carried all WWF programming at the time. At the same time, Eric Bischoff was scheming to return himself to power in WCW by other means, attempting to gain meetings with the new owner to arrange to return his old position and haunting grounds. The meetings were refused and an upset Bischoff supposedly declared afterwards that he would simply run WCW into the ground, allowing him to pick up for a fraction of what his original purchase price was.

That all this occurred in the lead-up to Souled Out and afterwards led to a constantly changing card, which was completely finalized the day before Souled Out as below:

-

The 15-man battle royal for the vacant Cruiserweight Championship

Damien 666, Psicosis, Juventud Guerrera, Eddie Guerrero, Ciclope, La Parka, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Jamie-san, The Artist, Shannon Moore, Shane Helms, Evan Karagias, Kaz Hayashi, James Yung and Lash LeRoux.

Booker T vs. Stevie Ray

Big Vito and Johnny the Bull (w/Tony Marinara) versus The Harris Boys in a No.1 Contenders match for the World Tag Team Championships

Shane Douglas, Dean Malenko, and Perry Saturn vs. Billy Kidman, Konnan, and Rey Misterio in a 3 on 3 Elimination Match

David Flair and Crowbar w/Daffney vs. Vampiro and ??? For the WCW World Tag Team Championships

Buff Bagwell vs. DDP in a Last Man Standing Match

Terry Funk versus Kevin Nash for control of World Championship Wrestling

Sid Vicious vs. Chris Benoit for the vacant World Heavyweight Championship

-

Despite weak pay per view buys, the show was critically acclaimed by those who did in fact watch. La Parka would proceed to win his first ever Cruiserweight Championship after outlasting 14 other very determined cruiserweights. Booker T would go over Stevie Ray in a brutal match that had their sister Midnight involved as the special guest referee. Both men would reconcile after the match and end their feud on that night on good terms, while Big Vito and Johnny would pin the Harris Boys to get their shot at the tag team belts.

The Revolution would be defeated by the Filthy Animals when Billy Kidman pinned Shane Douglas to secure the win for his team, which was then followed by the tag team championship match, where Vampiro and comedy wrestler and surprise partner Norman Smiley pinned David Flair after he was abandoned by Crowbar and Daffney to win the WCW World Tag Team Championships.

DDP would complete his heel turn by going over Buff Bagwell and brutalizing the younger superstar throughout the match and after he pinned Bagwell until he was pulled off by a horde of referees and ring-side crewmen.

Terry Funk would defeat Kevin Nash despite attempted interference from the Harris Boys which was stopped by both the returning Ric Flair and an injured Sting (who had come back for one appearance before returning to his recuperation) while Kevin Nash was pinned in the middle of the ring, thus giving the nWo it’s long awaited death.

In the main event, Chris Benoit would battle Sid Vicious for an amazing twenty minutes of wrestling to ultimately win the championship that Bret Hart had denied him at Mayhem ’99, the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

Following the PPV of Souled Out, World Championship Wrestling shut down all shows for a two-week period. The entire roster was given "vacation time", from which many would never be brought back. TNN and TNT instead aired best-of-WCW compilation shows on their slots on Monday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Despite being edited together rather hastily, these shows proved quite popular and drew decent ratings. It also indicated what the fans truly wanted was a focus on the in-ring action and not the theatrics Russo promoted or the cronyism prevalent with Bischoff.

During the shutdown, the new streamlined management team began to the processing of building a new WCW, starting with tearing down much of the old. A large number of contracts terminated as part of the purchase process, leaving the new era WCW with a much smaller roster. Some of those who didn't come with the purchase were the biggest stars, as they were contracted directly to AOL-TW. Those stars under contract directly to AOL-TW could accept a buyout of their existing deal at a portion of its remaining value by either WCW or the WWF, or remain under contract and not working, perhaps hoping for a full-value buyout down the road. Sting, Flair and Goldberg chose to take the buyout from WCW, signing new WCW contracts. The new owner met with them each directly, and convinced them to buy into his new WCW vision. They were joined by the likes of DDP, Booker T, Scott Steiner, and Lex Luger as forming the new core of WCW major talents. Some of the biggest names, including Hulk Hogan, Curt Hennig, Sid Vicious, Jeff Jarrett, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall, either chose to remain on the sideline and sit out their remaining contracts, or were not approached in the first place.

As World Championship Wrestling began looking outside for some new talent as well, rumors were constant of WCW stealing talent from the WWF. It seemed that nearly every day of the shutdown, some new rumor from someone with supposed inside knowledge would circulate across the internet wrestling community - usually about how some big WWF name was going to jump ship. The rumors turned out to be baseless, for the most part, with the exception of those that focused on ECW talents defecting. A few ECW wrestlers would later on accept contracts from World Championship Wrestling, rumored to have been let go by Paul Heyman in exchange for large cash infusions for his promotion.

But for the most part, WCW looked to the independent scene for new talent. Established talent tended to be expensive. Inexperienced workers with no name value could be signed for very small amounts. AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Nick Dinsmore and Sonny Siaki were such exciting young talents signed, while several others were signed and sent to the Power Plant to continue working on their skills.

An immense amount of uncertainty and confusion surrounded WCW during the purchase and shutdown period. Particular management elements – mostly Bischoff - had a history of "working the boys" in the past, so there was a large degree of suspicion inherent amongst the roster over what was happening, and a lot of it was directed at the new owner. Practically unknown in the wrestling world with little to no information on the man’s finances made public, some wrestlers thought it was just another worked shoot by Bischoff or Russo with AOL Time Warner executive support.

But it was fact that World Championship Wrestling had a new owner and that the many problems of the WCW being slowly ironed out. But the question is, how long can this new ownership keep the WCW going, with the WWF circling them like sharks in the water, the loss of several main event draws and wide-spread dissatisfaction in the locker room leftover from previous regimes?

I guess you’ll just have to keep reading to find out…

New WCW Roster

Single Wrestlers

· April Hunter
· AJ Styles
· Blitzkrieg
· Booker T
· Bret Hart
· Bill Goldberg
· Chavo Guerrero Jr.
· Chris Benoit
· Christopher Daniels
· Chris Harris
· Chris Kanyon
· Chuck Palumbo
· Crowbar
· Ciclope
· Damien 666
· Dean Malenko
· Diamond Dallas Page
· Eddie Guerrero
· Glacier
· Hugh Morrus
· Homicide
· Judas Jindrak
· Juventud Guerrera
· Konnan
· Lash LeRoux
· La Parka
· Lex Luger
· Madusa
· Malia Hosaka
· Mona
· Mike Sanders
· Nick Dinsmore
· Norman Smiley
· Perry Saturn
· Psicosis
· Ric Flair
· Scott Steiner
· Shane Douglas
· Shark Boy
· Shawn Stasiak
· Sonny Siaki
· Sting
· Stevie Ray
· Super Dragon

Inactive

Goldberg- Injured, Due back in the summer

Sting- Injured, Due back in February

Authority Figures

· Terry Funk - WCW Commissioner

Ring Announcer

· David Penzer

Referees

Billy Silverman
Charles Robinson
Mark Johnson
Mickey Jay
Nick Patrick

Managers

· Tony Marinara - manager of Big Vito & Johnny the Bull
· Arn Anderson – manager
· Stacey Kiebler – manager for Judas Jindrak

Valets

· Kimberly Page - valet for Diamond Dallas Page
· Torrie Wilson - valet for Billy Kidman
· Daffney – valet for Crowbar
· Leia Meow - valet of the Jung Dragons
· Miss Elizabeth - valet of Lex Luger
· Paisley- valet
· Asya – valet for Shane Douglas
· Tygress- valet for Konnan
· Symphony – valet
· Major Gunns – valet

Commentary

· Mark Madden
· Mike Tenay
· Scott Hudson
· Tony Schiavone
· Bobby Heenan

Tag Teams

· 3 Count - Evan Karagias, Shane Helms & Shannon Moore
· Jung Dragons - Kaz Hayashi, Jamie-san & Jimmy Yang
· The Filthy Animals - Billy Kidman & Rey Misterio
· The Mamalukes – Big Vito & Johnny the Bull
· Los Villanos – Villanos IV & V
· The Haas Brothers – Charlie and Russ Haas
· Los Fabulosos – El Dandy & Silver King
· The Backseat Boyz – Trent Acid & Johnny Kashmere
· The Havana Pitbulls – Ricky Reyes and Rocky Romero
· The Spanish Attack Team - Joel and Jose Maximo

Active Stables

· The Revolution – Shane Douglas, Asya, Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn
· The Filthy Animals- Billy Kidman, Eddie Guerrero, Konnan, Rey Misterio Jr., Torrie Wilson & Tygress

Current WCW Championships and Champions:

WCW World Heavyweight Champion: “The Canadian Crippler” Chris Benoit
(Defeated Sid Vicious for Vacant Championship at Souled Out 01/16/00)

WCW United States Heavyweight Champion: vacant
(Last held by Jeff Jarrett)

WCW World Tag Team Champions: Vampiro and Norman Smiley
(Defeated Crowbar and David Flair 01/16/00)

WCW Television Champion: Vacant
(Last held by Scott Hall)

WCW Cruiserweight Champion: La Parka
(Won at Souled Out in Battle Royal 01/16/00)

31/01/2000
Announced Nitro Card
:​

Dark Matches

AJ Styles versus Rey Misterio
Sonny Siaki versus Crowbar w/Daffney

Televised Matches

Blitzkrieg vs. Chavo Guerrero
The Mamalukes vs. The Backseat Boyz
Psicosis vs. La Parka
Booker T vs. Perry Saturn
Shane Douglas vs. Hugh Morrus
Konnan vs. Scott Steiner
Chris Benoit vs. ???

Note to those reading: I've already done the first Nitro show and finished it, but I'll be doing these so that people can chime in and do their guesses. :)

Edit: And if anyone can help me with the freaking images and tell me how to make them valid, I'll let you book a match.

WCW Monday Night Nitro
January 31st, 2000

Dark Match #1
Rey Misterio vs. AJ Styles

These two put on one hell of a wrestling match, which is surprising considering AJ Styles lack of experience in the major promotions. High Flying and a few good technical spots from Styles nearly brings the veteran Misterio to the ground nine minutes into the match before Rey pulls out a hurricane that knocks Styles down for a pinfall, getting the 1, 2, 3.

Winner via Pinfall: Rey Misterio

Dark Match #2
Crowbar w/Daffney vs. Sonny Siaki

These two manage to make a nice bit of contrast from the preceding match with a lot more technical wrestling thrown in by Crowbar and Sonny Siaki. Siaki holds his own well enough in the ring for a rookie, but ultimately Crowbar’s experience and the added distraction skills of Daffney by tripping up the Samoan rookie as he bounces of the ropes lets Crowbar manage a victory by The Mindbender (Sitout inverted suplex slam) that knocks out Siaki long enough for a 3 count.

Winner via Pinfall: Crowbar​

==

Tonight's edition of Nitro comes to you live from Columbus, Ohio.

Schiavone: Fans, Welcome to Monday Night Nitro and we are tonight in Columbus, Ohio! I am joined as always by Bobby "the Brain" Heenan and "Iron" Mike Tenay! And fellas, last night was a landmark Pay-Per-View in WCW history and truly unforgettable. A new, first-time World Champion was crowned in the Canadian Chris Benoit. Chris Benoit defeated Sid Vicious to become the new WCW World Heavyweight Champion. However, that was not the only event of the night. WCW Commissioner Terry Funk defeated Kevin Nash despite attempted interference from the Harris Boys that was stopped by both Ric Flair and Sting to finally disband the organization for good.

Heenan: That’s right, and I learned before we went on the air that all the members of the nWo have now been released from the roster and will no longer compete on World Championship Wrestling programming. Terry Funk is going to be coming down to the ring soon to address what this means for World Championship Wrestling, for us, and for the fans.

Tenay: But even then there were other historic moments at Souled Out. The Lucha Libre talent La Parka outlasted 14 other men to win the vacant WCW Cruiserweight Championship, and has already signed a match with Terry Funk to defend his championship against Psicosis tonight! The No.1 contenders for the WCW World Tag Team Championships, the Mamalukes are declaring an open challenge to any other tag team tonight to demonstrate their skill and what they deem is a show of their future victory at Super Brawl.

Schiavone: Not only that, but Terry Funk has inked a series of matches to crown the new United States Heavyweight Championship. Shane Douglas, Scott Steiner, Booker T, Hugh Morrus, Perry Saturn and Konnan are all competing tonight for the first three matches of the tournament. Finally Chris Benoit, our new World Heavyweight Champion will be making an appearance tonight. Tonight will indeed by a memorable night of Nitro wrestling, folks.

The WCW theme song hits as the Commissioner walks out to the ring, smiling at a poster held at ringside saying “The Funkster killed the nWo” and generally enjoying the cheers. With him is the Enforcer, Arn Anderson, the man who has been the rock of WCW just as much as Sting and Flair.

Tenay: There he goes. A legend of this sport, a man of action and part of a legendary wrestling family. Terry Funk ladies and gentlemen, our Commissioner. Let’s hear what he has to say about everything that went down yesterday at Souled Out and the future of those two championships. Alongside him is Arn Anderson, the Horseman, the man who made his name as the Enforcer of the legendary faction!

Terry Funk has by now entered the ring and has received a microphone from a member of the ring crew, as has Arn Anderson.

Terry Funk: Well, wasn’t Souled Out an exciting night?

*crowd cheers*

Terry Funk: I’m sure you’ve already hard Tony, Brain and Mike talk about everything that went down, but there are a few things where they don’t have the insider details on. Arn, if you would?

Arn Anderson: It’s really simple. When I called Terry Funk, the simple truth of the matter was I needed a crazy son of a bitch to take on the NWO...and that’s what I got. Terry you did something no one else could do, you managed to cut out the cancer out of this company with one match. I thank you for that sir.

Terry Funk: You know Arn, I have to say...I take a lot of pride in what I do. I may be getting older; I may not be as pretty as I used to be. But last night I got to do one thing and that was prove to the entire world that Terry Funk can still do this, and do it well.

"We Want Flair" chants start.

Terry Funk: That reminds me of another piece of business to get to tonight. You see, I had a talk with the new owner and he agreed with my decision. So, as my first act of business on Nitro tonight, I want to bring out the man as of last night has been reinstated in World Championship Wrestling...

Arn Anderson: The Fourteen time World Champion! The Best Damn Wrestler on Planet Earth...RIC FLAIR!!!

The Nature Boy’s music hits and Ric Flair walks out onto the stage to a thunderous pop as the crowd goes crazy for the returning legend.

Decked out in a fine suit, Flair struts down the aisle and into the ring with Arn Anderson and Commissioner Terry Funk.

Ric Flair: Columbus...O-HI-O! WOOOOOOO! The Nature Boy walks that aisle once again. I have the Rolex on...I have the hair slicked back...I'm wearing the 500 dollar shirt...The Nature Boy is back in Dubya-Cee-Dubya !

And the crowd goes and gives a pop.

Ric Flair: This past weekend I was sitting at home, just glum from how I’ve been treated here...that I was over the hill, that my own son would turn against me, that I just didn’t get the respect I deserved from the Powers That Be! They left me in a desert to die. But then Arn called me and he said Ric...we need you. WCW needs you. I told him to go to hell. He said the NWO is going to kill us. I said good! This place has been dying for years, it was about time someone put it out of its misery. And you know what he did?

The crowd shouts back NO as Arn chuckles sheepishly.

He drove over to my house and slapped the taste out of my mouth! He came over and said, No! No, it is time to make WCW the greatest promotion in the United States again. It’s time to wrestle ... It’s time to go out there and show them why WCW is where the big boys play!

Flair hits the ropes, getting all worked up.

Ric Flair: After years of tyrants like Bischoff and Hogan...after putting idiot after idiot in control of this company...now is the time. IT IS A NEW YEAR AND A NEW DECADE FOR W...C...W! WOOOOOO! So climbed aboard my jet plane...I boarded in my limousine...and I came back to steal the kisses...to wheel and deal like only the Nature Boy does! WOOOOO! And last night ...WCW became number one...once again. Chris Benoit is the champion, by God, Chris Benoit is the champion!

*Big Pop for the champ*

Ric Flair: I look around at the young and hungry talent in the locker room...No more do I see the dead eyes of yesterday, acting like they’ve got no reason to live. The parasites are gone! The glass ceiling has been shattered and now all of us are watching the re-birth of the greatest show in the world. So to everyone here tonight and watching; you’d better get ready. The longest line in the world is still Space Mountain, baby and the best wrestling is in WCW. WOOOOOOO!

Flair’s music hits as Arn Anderson, Ric Flair and Terry Funk hug as the crowd keeps going nuts. Schiavone announces the first match of the night, as Blitzkrieg goes one on one with Chavo Guerrero.

==

Match #1
Chavo Guerrero vs. Blitzkrieg

These two put on one hell of a wrestling match. High Flying and lucha libre style spots with a few technical moments to break it up. Chavo Guerrero is clearly the one dominating the match as he throws Blitzkrieg around and lays into him with punishing attacks, while the announcers of course were talking about the NWO being defeated last night at the PPV and the fact that Ric Flair had returned to WCW. Chavo Guerrero would pick up the win with a frog splash from the top rope, getting the 1, 2, 3 with ease.

Winner via Pinfall: Chavo Guerrero​

After the match Chavo goes to the top rope and signifies to his waist to show to La Parka he’s going after the belt. After doing so, he suplexes a recovering Blitzkrieg three times before leaving the ring as Super Dragon enters to rescue his friend Blitzkrieg.

Dragon helps Blitzkrieg to his feet and the two friends embrace before turning their gaze at the aggressive Chavo, who is walking up the aisle back to the locker-room. The three men have a mini-stare down as we cut to a commercial break.

==

We come back from commercial break with Pamela Paulshock backstage interviewing Chavo Guerrero, fresh off his first victory in the new WCW.

Paulshock: Chavo, you just attacked Japanese-trained talent Blitzkrieg after you won your match with him. You also proceeded to challenge La Parka, the current WCW Cruiserweight Champion on national television. Why?

Guerrero: Why? That’s a funny word, Pamela. Why, after all of these years of being treated like scum, having gone mentally insane while wrestling for this god-forsaken company, being forced to work as a salesman early this year just to make ends meet because management cut my wages in half, would I snap and attack Blitzkrieg? Because none of that matters anymore, Pamela, none of it! This is a new era. We don’t have Bischoff and the nWo thugs killing this company like the cancer they were. This, this is a future of opportunities…

A lot of the cruiserweight wrestlers have applied and been granted permission to move out of the division to focus on the Television championship, the tag team division, whatever… This a time where you need to show everything you can do in the ring, drag every ounce of ruthless aggression you have in your system and deal it out on your opponent to get noticed, to get a title shot, to get accolades. If Blitzkrieg is watching, esse, I don’t got a grudge with you or your boy Super Dragon. I don’t got a grudge with La Parka, either…

But you know what, chica? Come SuperBrawl, I’m going to destroy him.

*walks off*

Schiavone: Well, there you have it folks, from the mouth of Chavo Guerrero himself. Thoughts, Bobby?

Heenan: I’m liking this new aggressive side of Chavo Guerrero. Here is a man who has quite honestly been dealt a pretty shitty card in previous regimes. To see him take a stand and basically tell the entirety of World Championship Wrestling that he’s going to run over them to get what he wants, well, that’s refreshing. Reminds me of myself.

Schiavone: Mike?

Tenay: Chavo Guerrero is a very gifted wrestler and has shown that during his time here in World Championship Wrestling. Its jus that he’s lacked any sense of direction or spirit to carry him towards championship title opportunities. But at the same time, that he’s basically reinventing himself like this is… pretty sad. He could have been a champion years ago if he’d kept a positive attitude and integrated it with his hard work, rather than end up as this … this thug who’d break every bone in his opponents body if he thought it’d get him what he’d want.

==

Match #2
The Mamalukes vs. The Backseat Boyz

The No.1 contenders enter the ring first, without their manager and “boss” Tony Marinara, who apparently in New York doing business at the time. It doesn’t matter anyways, as the two make the open challenge clearly enough without him, and they immediately get a response from The Backseat Boyz, a new team signed by Terry Funk as the announce team informs the crowd, and especially eager to make a mark on the tag team division. This match is a relatively decent one for the short amount of time allocated to it, as the Mamalukes make a show of force and double axe handle both wrestlers at the same time to finish the match and get the 1, 2, 3.

Winners via Pinfall: The Mamalukes

After the match the two mobsters goes to the top rope and signifies to their waists, indicating that they will be taking with them the WCW World Tag Team Championships at SuperBrawl.

==

Pamela Paulshock is once again backstage, this time with Booker T, intent on getting a short interview with the African-American superstar after his fight at Super Brawl.

Paulshock: Last night Booker, you faced your own brother Stevie Ray in a very physical match up. You came out the winner of that contest and seemingly made things up with your brother. Can you tell us more about what happened after the show was over and give us some thoughts about your match tonight against Perry Saturn?

Booker T: Look, last night I proved who the better man was. Stevie kept talking about how I forgotten where I came from. I remember damn well where I came from. I still got the scars to remind me every day of the life I worked my ass off to get away from. Now that business between me and Stevie...well that’s done. We made our war in the ring, and we made our peace in it. We are always going to be brothers you know. There is nothing that can kill that bond.

As for Perry Saturn, that Revolution freak is coming up against one of the best athletes in today’s Dubya-Cee- Dubya and one of its most decorated wrestlers. I will win my qualifying match tonight and I will become the United States Heavyweight Champion. This is going to be my year. You can believe that.

==

Match #3
“The Chair-man of WCW” La Parka (c) versus Psicosis for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship

The next match of the night is between the reigning Cruiserweight Champion La Parka and his first challenger Psicosis. La Parka is his usual fun loving self as he air-guitars on his chair all the way down to the ring, slapping high-fives with fans at ringside before he enters the ring and raises both his chair and his championship up high.

Next comes Psicosis, his first challenger, and looking incredibly serious as he makes his way into the ring. He barely acknowledges the cheering and booing directed as him as focus his attention on the reigning champion. The two lock up in a short show of strength before they immediately turn to traditionally expected cruiserweight aerial moves. La Parka acquits himself well in his first outing as champion and is really getting put over by the announce team as he gets ready to pin Psicosis after a miss-timed moonsault from the top rope-

Guerrero! Guerrero! Chavo Guerrero has just entered the ring with a chair and smashed it over the back of the Cruiserweight Champion La Parka! Referee Charles Robinson is handing it to La Parka by disqualification but he’s just taken a shot to the head as well! Psicosis is getting to his feet and attempts to join Guerrero in his attack on La Parka, but he gets a shot to the head for his troubles! The third generation Guerrero is just destroying everyone in the ring, but La Parka is rallying on the support of the crowd and is fighting back! Chavo just took a shot to the head from La Parka’s own chair! Wait, Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg are running down to the ring to back up La Parka, its absolute mayhem here at ringside!

Guerrero seeing both Dragon and Blitzkrieg coming down as well as Psicosis coming to, decides discretion is the better part of valor and ducks under the bottom rope and runs out through the crowd. Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg give chase while Psicosis heads to the back. La Parka in the mean-time indulges a little bit of dancing in the middle of the ring to the amusement of the crowd before picking up his championship and heading to the back as Nitro cuts to commercial.

Winner via Disqualification: La Parka​

==

Match #4
Booker T versus Perry Saturn for a WCW United States Heavyweight Championship qualification match​

Despite the controversy and chaos of the cruiserweight match, the show must go on! The commercial ends and Nitro returns as fans see Perry Saturn already in the ring and Booker T making his way down to big cheers from the crowd.

The two wrestlers immediately begin wrestling a classical old-school match, with lots of brawling and technical holds from both men as the crowd settles in for some nice, traditional rasslin. The match is roughly even for most of it, with Booker T beginning to build up steam after a good ten minutes following an Axe Kick to the skull of Saturn that leaves him dazed and Booker T in control of the match. Saturn attempts to fight back and regain momentum, but ultimately takes another Axe Kick and falls to the mat.

Which brings out Shane Douglas and Dean Malenko, who seek to distract the referee and Booker T long enough for Saturn to get to his feet and take advantage. It doesn’t quite work out like that when Stevie Ray follows them short afterwards wielding a fire extinguisher that he uses on the other two members of Revolution. Sprayed and disoriented from the foam, they are useless to a recovering Perry Saturn who tastes a third Axe Kick and is pinned by Booker T, who is now the first man to pass the first round of the United States Heavyweight Tournament!

Winner via Pinfall: Booker T​

Both Booker T and Stevie Ray head to the back in good spirits while Shane Douglas attempts to wipe the foam out of his eyes as he’s up next against “The Laughing Man” Hugh Morrus!

==

Match #5
Shane Douglas versus “The Laughing Man” Hugh Morrus for a WCW United States Heavyweight Championship qualification match​

Shane Douglas still hasn’t gotten all of the foam out his eyes yet as he protests to the referee, but the Laughing Man doesn’t care! He immediately launches his attack on the Revolution leader, battering him with a series of massive punches before doing an improvised bear-hug slam into one of the corners. Shane Douglas is at a disadvantage for much of the match, even as Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn attempt to give him some time to recuperate by acting as human shields at ringside while he attempts to get some space between him and Hugh Morrus; which fails when Morrus moonsaults the three of them from off the top rope near the announce table to the enjoyment of the crowd.

Eventually though, he manages to regain momentum and puts Morrus in a headlock to deny him oxygen and force him to submit. It doesn’t work, but it provides him enough time to get back into the match and after a distraction from Saturn to the referee, Malenko snaps his head off the ropes for Douglas to put him in a package and win the match. Shane Douglas is now the second man to pass the first round of the United States Heavyweight Tournament!

Winner via Pinfall: Shane Douglas​

==

Shane Douglas: This victory has put me one step closer to becoming the United States Heavyweight Champion… Your United States Heavyweight Champion.

Heat.

It is time for you to open your eyes, Ohio! Open your eyes and see the suppression you suffer not only at the hands of your government...no...but at the hands of your bosses...your loved ones... from complete strangers. I come to you know, as your savor, offering you a way out of this bland everyday life and a chance to kick start the Revolution! To those in the back, to the Filthy Animals, to the cruiserweights, to the guys who’ve been jobbing on Worldwide and Saturday Night, join us, your brothers, your liberators!

More Heat, as the people of Columbus, Ohio tell Douglas and his cronies to go to hell. No one comes out from the back to join the three men in the ring, which infuriates Douglas.

Shane Douglas: Fine, but see how long it takes you to come running and begging us for help when the pencil pushers like Funk decide you’re better off on Saturday Night! And here is a special message to the new WCW World Champion...Chris Benoit...YOU’RE WELCOME, YOU UNGRATEFUL PIECE OF SH*T!

Heat

Mike Tenay: Welcome? For what?

Shane Douglas: It was us laying the ground work for you to rise above that glass ceiling and take your spot as World Champion...and where is our thanks? Nowhere to be seen. Hows it feel Chris to be just another sell out. I made you up in the Philidelphia hell-hole, Revolution made you more of a man than the Horsemen ever did! And now you and Dic Flair wanna hug again? F*ck you!

"WE WANT FLAIR! WE WANT FLAIR!"

Shane Douglas: But finally our efforts don't go unnoticed...because despite Saturn’s failure tonight, I have a chance to win...no...rescue the US Championship from the mediocrity it faces. But not just me… Dean Malenko will be facing Eddie Guerrero, the spic from El Paso, Texas on Thunder. Dean, tell them what you’re going to do to Mr. Guerrero.

Dean Malenko: See it’s real easy to understand because Shane doesn't lie. Look at me, look at Perry. We aren't stuck on our backs every night curtain jerking because of him. Look at Chris Benoit, who up until Super Brawl was just another “vanilla midget” for people like Hogan, Nash and Hall to laugh at. No one’s laughing now. At Super Brawl, either I or Shane Douglas will win the US Championship, and strike a blow in our war to rise above. Are you ready for a Revolution?

Heat

Shane Douglas: If not, then you’re just another puppet...

The Revolution stand in a military stance as their music plays. the crowd give them heat. In the back we see the Filthy Animals watching on a monitor.
==

Match #6
Scott Steiner versus Konnan for a WCW United States Heavyweight Championship qualification match​

Scott Steiner comes out first for this match, ignoring the Revolution members as they leave, even when they cajole him to “join the Revolution”. Cutting a short promo insulting the people of Columbus, Ohio, he awaits his opponent for tonight, Konnan.

Konnan soon comes out, though not alone. With him are the rest of the Filthy Animals, Eddie Guerrero, Billy Kidman, Rey Misterio, Torrie Wilson and Tygress. Tygress and Wilson take up positions around Konnan’s corner while Kidman, Misterio and Guerrero keep their backs to the ring and their eyes on the entrance way. It seems the Animals/Revolution war is not yet over…

Even as the other Animals keep their focus on Revolution, Konnan is forced to shift his attention to the behemoth in the ring. Self-dubbed as the Genetic Freak, a nickname rightly gained, the steroided Steiner easily out-weighs the smaller Cuban superstar, and also has a few good inches on him. Still, never one to back down, the popular Konnan immediately throws himself into the fight, targeting Steiner’s legs as a way of bring down the monster heel.

But Steiner himself is too good a wrestler to get taken down by such hit and run tactics, and after a series of chops to the chest of Konnan, begins the slow and steady series of holds and power moves that wear down his faster opponent. Attempted distractions by a member of the Animals are easily fended off by the referee, who consequently doesn’t see the illegal blows done by Steiner to Konnan. Wising up, the Animals settle down and hope that Konnan can pull it off by himself.

He does manage a comeback, and right after pulling off a stiff mule-kick that has even the fans wincing, and goes for the pin. Unfortunately, the Revolution hits the ring and ambushes the Animals and their valets, forcing Konnan to give up his pin to help his friends fight off their attackers. Steiner gains time to recover and while the Animals give chase to Revolution backstage, drags Konnan back up into the ring for a power bomb and a subsequent pin to win the match. Scott Steiner is now the third man to pass the first round of the United States Heavyweight Tournament!

Winner via Pinfall: Scott Steiner​

==
Backstage, Chris Benoit, Ric Flair and Arn Anderson are celebrating Chris’s victory over Sid Vicious and his attaining of the WCW World Heavyweight Championship with a bottle of wine and in Ric Flair’s case, a couple of Nitro Girls attached to his side. You gotta love the Nature Boy.

Flair: I’m proud of you, Chris. You brought some honor back to those 10 pounds of gold, and some shine to the Horsemen.

Benoit: The Horsemen? Ric, we disbanded the Horsemen months ago. There are no Horsemen. This is just three friends having a celebration together.

Flair: It doesn’t have to be. We can reform the Horsemen. The Horsemen have always been the elite in WCW, and it’s high time we be that again, instead of the first line of defense whenever the nWo start invading again. Me and Arn were talking about it before you got in here, Chris. Terry’s got no problem with us reforming and upping the standards around here.

Benoit: What about Dean?

Flair: I don’t trust him. He’s been running with Douglas and Saturn for too long. He turned on you alongside them, remember. We’re Horsemen. We stand together as a unit or not at all. There’s a lot of good talent and diamonds in the rough here to pick out a fourth member from. Hell, we’ve even got a few still hanging around that were Horsemen before you and Malenko joined.

Benoit: I don’t know…

Anderson: Ah, let it go, Ric. Maybe we’re just a couple of old men, looking back on our glory days. You’ve only just got back and Chris’s first time as champ shouldn’t have the shadow of the Horsemen hanging over it.

Flair: All right, all right, it was just an idea. Don’t go and gang up on me. But *grin* … you’d better give me a match one of these days, kid. After all, if you want to be the man…

Benoit: You gotta beat the man. And you’re the man, Ric. You just pick a date and I’ll make it official with the Commissioner.

Anderson: Chris Benoit versus Ric Flair for the World Heavyweight Championship. Now won’t that be a sight to see?

Benoit: Listen, we can talk about the Horsemen again later if you want. I’ve got the interview to go to…

Flair: Say no more. We’ll be here entertaining the girls till you get back.

==

Back at ringside, Tony Schiavone, and Mike Tenay Bobby recap the events that lead to Chris Benoit vs. Sid Vicious at the PPV last night. We get stills of Benoit defeating Sid Vicious for the vacant World Championship. After this we throw it to Pamela Paulshock in the ring.

Paulshock: Ladies and Gentlemen, the moment you've all been waiting for. Please welcome to the ring, my guest at this time. He is your WCW World Champion...Chris Benoit!

The Crippler heads to the ring to a big pop. We see all kinds of "Benoit" and "Crippler" Signs. A few Rabid Wolverine shouts at ringside as the beaming Benoit, dressed in full wrestler gear with the brand new "Intensity" Benoit T-shirt heads to the ring; the championship around his waist. He enters the ring as the announcers sing his praises talking about how hard he has worked over the years. Mike Tenay puts his text book knowledge of wrestling to work recounting some classic Benoit moments from Japan as well as his impressive matches in WCW over the years.

Paulshock: Chris Benoit, after a little over a decade in the wrestling business you have finally reached to very top, becoming WCW World Champion! Mind sharing your emotions?

Benoit: Pamela, I have been up and down many roads in wrestling. The highs and the lows...There have been plenty of times where I just was ready to throw in the towel, go back to Japan or up north and see what I could do there. But I stuck it out, and I’ve worked hard to get to where I am, so when the opportunity came up and I was given the chance to achieve my dream...I took it.

Paulshock: Earlier tonight, Shane Douglas said that it if wasn’t for Revolution, you and others like La Parka, Norman Smiley and Vampiro wouldn’t be holding the championships you are. Any thoughts on that?

Benoit: You know, even if I had won this championship, if La Parka had outlasted 14 other cruiserweights, if Norman Smiley and Vampiro did manage to gain a victory last night… none of it would have mattered if Kevin Nash had defeated Terry Funk. The nWo would still be around, Kevin Nash would be in power as Commissioner and he probably would have stripped me of the championship and gave it to himself, or done something completely ridiculous like have me fight 3 times in one night. But I didn’t see Revolution run down there and fight off the Harris Boys so Funk could pin Nash. No, it was Ric and Sting who did it. Sting! The man’s still injured from Starrcade and he showed up to watch the nWo die the death it deserved! Where was Shane Douglas? Perry Saturn? Dean Malenko? Dean’s a goddman Horseman and he didn’t even do anything to help Ric and Sting.

Paulshock: Neither did you…

Benoit: You don’t think I wanted to? I begged with Ric and Arn to let me help when they told me about the plan. Ric Flair had Arn and a few of the security detail standing watch over my door. I had to watch impotently when it all come down, because Ric and Arn wanted me fresh and ready for the match with Sid. It’ll be one of my greatest shames to say that I watched the nWo die on a television screen instead of being in front of the ring when it happened.

Pamela: Moving on. You faced Sid Vicious in a grueling match up. Any thoughts on your Souled Out opponent and who you’ll be facing at SuperBrawl in your first title defense?

Benoit: Sid is a man I've come to respect. We’d fought many times before, and if the World Heavyweight Championship hadn’t been on the line, then that match last night could have went to Sid just as easily as it did to me. But last night was destined to be my night to finally become World Champion. As for me defending my championship, I’ve already promised a slot to Ric, but I’m a fighter, and I always will be. I will defend my championship on Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, Worldwide, house shows, you name it! And it doesn’t matter who I’m facing as my challenger. Big or small, top of the card down to the guys struggling to get off Saturday Night and Worldwide; places I’m very familiar with. Come one, come all because the line starts here. And it’ll end here, because I’m not letting go of this championship until they rip it from my cold, lifeless-

SELF HIGH-FIVE

And in comes Diamond Dallas Page, without his wife Kimberly following for once.

Page: You disgust me, Chris. You and every single hypocritical fan here. You’re going to be a fighting champion? You respect Sid Vicious? You wanted to help Terry Funk? You come out here and try to pander to these people, to pretend to be a wholesome, good man. But it’s all a lie. You’re the man who stole Kevin Sullivan’s wife! The man who broke up a marriage to sate his own lusts! You’re just what Buff Bagwell wanted to be, before I handled him at Souled Out. You’re not worthy of holding that championship, no matter how many wrestlers you brutalize in the ring!

Benoit: Dallas, do us both a favor and head back. I’m in a good mood, so I’ll forgive your little temper tantrum. But if you’re going to push me-

Page: You’ll fight? Fight me? Bring it on! A few minutes ago, you said you’d be a fighting champion and defend it anytime, anywhere. It’s time to put your money where your mouth is, because I’m challenging you to face me right here, right now! I’m about to make you one of the shortest reigning World Heavyweight Champion in WCW history, you nugget!

Benoit: … Ring the bell. Pamela, you might want to get out of the ring.

Match #7
Chris Benoit (c) versus Diamond Dallas Page for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship

The champ doesn’t even have time to take off his "Intensity" Benoit T-shirt before DDP goes on the offensive, clobbering Benoit with lefts and rights and forcing him to go under the ropes and to ringside. Once there, Benoit calmly removes his shirt and throws it a cheering fan before donning a feral grin and re-entering the ring.

Page and Benoit circled one-another, both going for a lock-up but Benoit countered it into a grapple from behind. Page reversed into one of his own, but Benoit reversed that into an armbar, putting his foot behind the knee of Page and taking him to the mat before locking in a headlock. Page is held in the headlock for a few moments for managing to fight out of it and give the champion a rough kick to the chest, giving him time to force him into a corner. Page starts pounding away at the Canadian with that lefts and rights before whipping him across the ring into the opposing turnbuckles. An attempted bodyslam by Page fails when Benoit dodges it and then reverses it into a trio of suplexes that leave both men on the ground and susceptible to the count of ten. Both make it before 5, though it is clear that the brief yet high-impact encounter so far was draining both men. Page hit Benoit with a hard drop kick that sent him back to the ropes, only for Benoit to get on the top rope for a flying headbutt that hits DDP in the abdomen.

Benoit rolls him up 1 … 2… kick out! Benoit gets off of his challenger and proceeds to do a standing moonsault before trying a pin again. Same result as before, with DDP kicking out at 2. The champ raises his opponent to his feet to take him down for a Lariat, only to take a DDT to the mat instead! Page tries to go for a quick cover, but Benoit kicks out at one. DDP picks up Benoit and does a delayed military press before dropping him and proceeding to put him in an Ankle-Lock. Benoit stays in the hold for a full minute, obviously in pain as he attempted to reach the ropes, which he does!

DDP then threw Benoit to the outside, getting an admonishment from the referee. While the ref was busy with DDP, Benoit got to his feet and returned the outside of the mat, drawing DDP’s attention and pulling him down on the top rope, leaving him struggling for air as Benoit crawled back into the ring and put him in the figure-four leg-lock. Now with DDP who’s in so much pain, he nearly taps out before managing to reach the ropes. Now on one foot from the hurting leg, the wobbly DDP is clearly on the retreat from the dominant Benoit, who is simply nailing him with blows, left and right, getting up to counts of 7 strikes from the fans before the referee steps in. Disoriented and battered, DDP is perfectly primed for Benoit’s famed Crippler Crossface. With a matter of moments DDP is forced to signal defeat to the deadly submission move and feel no more pain as Benoit relinquishes his hold.

Winner via Submission: Chris Benoit​

Chris Benoit has done it! Two weeks after his victory at Souled Out, the Canadian Crippler has successfully defended his championship on Nitro against a two-time World Champ- Oh my god! Shane Douglas and Revolution just hit the ring! They’re attacking the champion! Here comes out Ric Flair and Arn Anderson! Revolution and the Horsemen are fighting in the ring! The Filthy Animals are coming out to help Flair and Anderson! Oh god, DDP just Diamond Cutter’d Ric Flair! It’s absolute anarchy here in the ring, Revolution is clearing house!

Benoit! Benoit! The WCW World Heavyweight Champion is completely destroying his enemies in the ring! Malenko just took a Wild Bomb! Saturn’s ate a Lariat! It’s DDP over the top rope! Shane Douglas is in the Sharpshooter! Douglas is tapping to the Sharpshooter! He’s tapping to the Sharpshooter!

Revolution is fleeing the ring, and the Animals are giving chase once more! Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit are standing tall in the ring as the Nitro broadcast ends.

--
Author's Note: I decided to post it a bit early, since it seems people here don't commentate without physical proof someone means to continue with a work. :p

Thunder
02/02/2000​

The Jung Dragons versus 3-Count

Japanese imports the Jung Dragons go face to face with the irascible 3 Count in a 3 on 3 tag team match. Will the pop trio overcome their fierce opponents or will the Jung Dragons come up with a victory over the much despised heartthrob three?

Perry Saturn versus Stevie Ray

This week on Monday Night Nitro, Stevie Ray interfered in a match between Perry Saturn and Stevie Ray’s brother, Booker T after Revolution allies of Saturn hit the ring. Saturn consequently lost his shot at the United States Heavyweight Championship to Booker T, and furiously demanded a singles match with the former Harlem Heat tag-team wrestler on Thunder. Terry Funk agreed to the match, but also added a stipulation of his own: Should either Revolution or Booker T interfere in the match up, Shane Douglas, Dean Malenko and Booker T would all lose their shots at the United States Heavyweight Championship at SuperBrawl. Will the scheming Revolution risk it all to help out Saturn, and will Booker T be forced to repay the favor his brother did him on Nitro and lose his chance at glory?

Super Dragon versus Chavo Guerrero

In yet another match arising from the chaos of Monday Night Nitro, Super Dragon goes head to head with the rising star, Chavo Guerrero. Chavo Guerrero’s career has shown new life as the 3rd generation wrestler has set his sights on the Cruiserweight Championship currently held by La Parka. Vowing to leave behind him a series of battered bodies in his climb up the ladder and establish himself in the eyes of WCW management and the WCW fans, Chavo Guerrero started out by attacking the rookie Blitzkrieg after their match on Nitro, bringing out Blitzkrieg’s friend and fellow rookie, Super Dragon. Super Dragon demanded this match with Guerrero from Funk, who was wise enough to see that this developing feud between the two would best be settled in the ring. Will the more experienced Guerrero defeat Super Dragon and help build his bid for a shot at La Parka’s title on SuperBrawl, or will Super Dragon steal his thunder and pin the aggressive Guerrero and settle the score?

Los Villanos versus the Filthy Animals

Billy Kidman and Rey Misterio represent the Filthy Animals as they face the Mexican stars Los Villanos in tag team action. Los Villanos being of lucha libre extraction were reportedly furious with both Misterio and other lucha libre stars in World Championship Wrestling for being so quick to give up their masks in the Latino World Order. Los Villanos has vowed to make both Misterio as well as former cohorts Guerrera and Psicosis pay for their insult to lucha libre. Winning this match could make a good start on meeting that promise, while the Filthy Animals could use this win to get a shot at the reigning Tag Team champions Norman Smiley and Vampiro, who are set to face the Mamalukes at SuperBrawl and will also be in action on Thunder!

“The Total Package” Lex Luger w/Mrs. Elizabeth versus Crowbar w/Daffney

Lex Luger claimed to be the man who retired Sting at Starrcade. At Souled Out, the Total Package was forced to eat crow when an obviously still injured Sting helped make the save for WCW, fighting off nWo’s attempted interference during the Terry Funk/Kevin Nash match alongside Ric Flair. While Lex Luger has been silent on the matter of Sting’s possible return, he has been booked to face the madman Crowbar on Thunder.

Vampiro and Norman Smiley versus Los Fabulosos

Thunder viewers will be privy to on free television the first match the WCW World Tag Team Champions wrestle together since Souled Out. Will they operate as a cohesive unit in this non-title match up, or will the two most handsome men from Mexico reveal the faults in this eccentric pairing of the enigmatic Vampiro and the comedic Norman Smiley?

Eddie Guerrero versus Dean Malenko
Eddie Guerrero is set to go one on one against Dean Malenko in this final match of a quartet of matches that are the first round of the United States Heavyweight Championship tournament. Eddie Guerrero has a chance to make up for Konnan’s failure on Nitro to win his qualification match against Scott Steiner by defeating Revolution wrestler Dean Malenko.

These two wrestlers have a history, as Malenko once ended Eddie Guerrero’s 3 month long reign as United States Heavyweight Champion back in 1997 and held it for a short while himself, but his attempts in the following years to return to those heights were fruitless, and most likely lead to his joining the Revolution faction formed by Shane Douglas. Tonight on Thunder, Eddie Guerrero has a chance to gain revenge on both Malenko for ending his reign as champion all those years ago as well as Revolution by denying them a back-up in case Shane Douglas should lose in the second round of the tournament. Dean Malenko in turn has a chance to show the world that his beating Eddie Guerrero for the Championship back in ’97 was not a fluke, and to prove the dogma of the Revolution true, that associating with them can truly raise a wrestler from the worst straits of his career.

Diamond Dallas Page versus Ric Flair

In what is starting to seem as a night of backlash from Nitro, Ric Flair will be going one on one with the Lord of Ring, the self-proclaimed People’s Champion, the one and only Diamond Dallas Page. Page, who joined in the Revolution attack on Benoit this Monday and used his finisher on Flair in the ensuing brawl has agreed to the match and is already putting it down as a victory, reportedly telling Funk that once he pins Ric Flair, he expects Funk to ratify a match between Benoit and Page for SuperBrawl.

Chris Kanyon, Juventad Guerrera, Jacques Rougeau, Carl Ouellet, Charlie Haas and Russ Haas are also set to be in action in exclusive dark matches!

==

Quick-look card:

Dark Matches
Chuck Palumbo versus Hugh Morrus
Chris Kanyon versus Juventad Guerrera
Team Canada versus the Haas Brothers

Televised Matches

The Jung Dragons versus 3-Count
Perry Saturn versus Stevie Ray
Super Dragon versus Chavo Guerrero
Los Villanos versus the Filthy Animals
Lex Luger versus Crowbar
Vampiro and Norman Smiley versus Los Fabulosos
Eddie Guerrero versus Dean Malenko
Diamond Dallas Page versus Ric Flair

WCW Thunder
February 2nd, 2000​

Dark Match #1​
Chuck Palumbo vs. “The Laughing Man” Hugh Morrus

Maybe this Chuck Palumbo guy is someone management has been keeping their eye on. The next Goldberg or Wrath perhaps? Maybe not, when the Power Plant rookie gets squashed by Hugh Morrus rather well. The Laughing Man picks up a victory by Moonsault several minutes after a match completely of his own making.
Winner via Pinfall: Hugh Morrus

Dark Match #2​
“Champagne” Chris Kanyon vs. Juventad Guerrera

These two manage to make a nice bit of contrast from the preceding match with a lot longer match and a much smoother back and forth. With a nice variety of Chris Kanyon’s infamous array of technical moves and Juventad Guerrera’s lucha training making this a contrast of styles and keeping the crowd interested as the two men attempt to counter-act the other’s attempts to gain a victory. But after a series of holds by Kanyon aimed at breaking down Guerrera’s resistance fail, the canny Guerrera puts the New Jersey wrestler in the Juvi Lock to get the submission victory after a full minute as the stubborn Kanyon refuses to surrender.​

Winner via Pinfall: Juventad Guerrera

Dark Match #3
Team Canada (Carl Ouellet and Jacques Rougeau) vs. The Haas Brothers (Charlie and Russ Haas)

These four men put on one hell of a wrestling match, which is surprising considering the Haas’s lack of experience. A nice, good technical match occurs from the four men, which ends with the veteran Canadians pinning their younger American counterparts with some minor difficulty to get the 1, 2, 3.

Winners via Pinfall: Team Canada

==

Tonight’s edition of Thunder comes to you live from Binghamton, New York.

A promo clip opens up this edition of Thunder, going through the events of Souled Out and Monday Night Nitro. Especially noted are Benoit’s consecutive victories over Sid Vicious and Diamond Dallas Page and Chavo Guerrero’s recent actions towards his fellow cruiserweights.

Tenay: Fans, Welcome to Wednesday Night Thunder and we are tonight in Binghamton, New York! I am joined as always by Scott Hudson and Tony Schiavone! And fellas, I think we need to discuss the chaos of this Monday’s Nitro.

Hudson: Well then, you and I are in agreement. In what was the first show of the new WCW, anarchy was the state of Nitro. Chavo Guerrero destroyed Blitzkrieg and proceeded to challenge La Parka for a match at Super Brawl. He then later in the night attacked both La Parka and his opponent Psicosis as well as Blitzkrieg and Super Dragon! Now, he’s claiming that he’s doing all this because he feels he’s entitled to doing what he can to get on top. Well, that certainly has ruffled more than a few feathers in the cruiserweight division wrestlers, especially Super Dragon, who’s challenged him to a match here tonight on Thunder. Guerrero accepted and Funk signed the match.

Schiavone: Well, Scott mentioned the cruiserweight havoc, but something more important to the future of WCW I think is the actions of The Revolution. Shane Douglas, Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko were all given shots by Terry Funk to compete for the prestigious WCW United States Heavyweight Championship. Perry Saturn of course lost to Booker T after Revolution interference while Shane Douglas managed to defeat “The Laughing Man” Hugh Morrus. Now, that wasn’t the end of their shenanigans on Monday. After a grueling match that went over a quarter of an hour, Chris Benoit made his first defense of his newly gained WCW World Heavyweight Championship by forcing Diamond Dallas Page to submit. Shortly afterwards, Revolution attacked Chris Benoit, which of course brought out Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and the Filthy Animals to head them off. DDP interjected himself once again alongside The Revolution, and he specifically attacked Ric Flair with his signature move, the Diamond Cutter. Ric Flair and DDP are set to face off tonight, while Eddie Guerrero will battle Dean Malenko for a shot at the United States Heavyweight Championship. It’s becoming obvious to me that The Revolution is simply not satisfied with the recent changes in WCW and in fact want more radical changes to the promotion.

Tenay: Well, with Funk as Commissioner, I doubt they’ll be succeeding with their agenda. He’s known for his traditional look on this sport and I doubt he’d welcome anything those three-

The Jung Dragon’s music hits the arena and the commentating team gets in gear as Tenay announces the first match of the night, as the Jung Dragons goes one on one with 3 Count in six man tag team action!

Match #1
The Jung Dragons vs. 3 Count

3 Count starts off their match with a little promo that the Jung Dragons don’t wish to listen to, if their immediate attack means anything. Shannon Moore and Evan Karagias take double drop-kicks that send them over the top-ropes and out of the ring as Jamie-san and Shane Helms start off this match. Shane Helms and Jamie-san reverse each other on the ropes before Jamie-San hurricana’s Helms, taking a moment to pose. On the outside Moore and Karagias eat double moonsaults from Kaz Hayashi and James Yung while Helms gets kicked on in the corner of the ring.

Moore gets thrown back into the ring by Hayashi, and the two immediately join Jamie-san and Helms in fighting in the ring. Hayashi gives Moore a spinning dropkick as Jamie-san and Helms tag out. Moore slaps Hayashi before putting him in a fireman’s carry that is used for a swinging neck breaker by Helms. Despite an attempt from the Jung Dragons to save their partner, referee Charles Robinson holds them back while Moore holds Hayashi up for a corner to corner from Karagias, who tags in beforehand to do so.

Karagias Irish whips Hayashi into the ropes to perform a military press on the Asian talent when he bounces back. He takes the time to gyrate a little above his opponent’s body, following up with a crotch chop before tagging in Shane Helms, who goes for a sunset flip from the corner top that takes both wrestlers across the ring and just in front of the Jung Dragons corner. Shane Helms gets a 2 count before Hayashi realizes his predicament and gets out.

Hayashi and Helms both stand and go for holds before Helms gut-wrench powerbombs Hayashi right in the middle of the ring. Meanwhile Moore starts chanting “3 Count rules” to the crowd, who really aren’t welcoming of the pop trio.

Moore and Helms get Hayashi in a corner and start dealing out the kicks as the crowd begins to chant against 3 Count with a nice rendition of “3 Count Sucks, 3 Count Sucks!” They then Irish whip him across the ring before Helms whips Moore into him as a follow-up, but Hayashi dodges, leaving Moore on the top-rope in pain while Helms tastes a high knee. Hayashi tags in James Yung, who immediately goes to town on all three opponents with upper-cuts and swift jabs. Yung is a little bit too excited though, as he almost strikes Robinson before realizing his mistake. He shrugs it off and leaps to a corner to begin pounding on Karagias before back-flipping off him. He moves to attack Karagias again, but Moore strikes from the back to put him in a sleeper hold. Poor Charles Robinson has no clue which member of 3 Count is the legal man and is watching helplessly.

But he’s the only one in the ring who is, as Jamie-san starts stomping away at Moore after the latter attempts a pin. Moore gets thrown out the ring and Jamie-san goes over the top rope after him, while a twisting body drop on Yung from Karagias requires a save from Hayashi. For his efforts he eats a standing side-kick from Helms who is only just re-entering the match. Helms gets dragged from the bottom of the ropes by Jamie-san while Hayashi power-slams Karagias. Him and Yung attempt to do a double drop from the top rope but Moore prevents it, dropping both men on individual top ropes and causing severe genital related pain. Moore gets chased by Jamie-san into the ring in what turns out to be a lead-on as Jamie eats a lariat from Karagias. Shane Helms enters the ring and the three men perform an aided wheelbarrow facebuster on Hayashi to secure the victory.

Winners via Pinfall: 3 Count

--

Tenay: and we go backstage for an interview with Booker T and Stevie Ray!

Backstage, Pamela Paulshock is standing with both halves of Harlem Heat.

Paulshock: Congratulations to you, Booker T on your victory over Perry Saturn last week and surviving the first round of the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship tournament.

Booker T: Thank you Pamela.

Paulshock, Now gentlemen, the action didn’t end in the ring, as affiliates of Perry Saturn; Shane Douglas and Dean Malenko ran to the ring and attempted to interfere before Stevie Ray ran in himself. Stevie Ray, you’ve been challenged by Perry Saturn tonight as payback for interfering in his match this last Nitro. Your thoughts?

Stevie Ray: My thoughts… my thoughts… My thoughts are that Perry Saturn and his fruity-booty boyfriends need to get to stepping, Pamela! The year is 2000! It is a new year, and it is a year without the nWo, without Eric Bischoff, with the taint of the WWF hanging all over our heads! Why’s they got to go and ruin that? Booka and Perry shoulda had a clean match. Konnan and Steiner shoulda had a clean match! Chris Benoit shoulda gone home to his lady without getting jumped by a bunch of loony-toons and turning Nitro into a free-for-all brawl with The Revolution, The Filthy Animals and Ric Flair and Double A throwing fists! Is Doug Dillinger sleeping on the job?!? Perry Saturn, you wanna come and challenge me to a match? You ain’t getting a match, Saturn, you getting a fight! A fight that I plan to win!

Booker T: That’s right. And as for Shane Douglas and Dean Malenko, if I see either of you punks run down to that ring, you can expect me and a metal chair on yo’ heads!

Stevie Ray: No, you ain’t running down tonight.

Booker T: Excuse me? I know I didn’t just hear that.

Stevie Ray: Bro, you’ve got a shot at some serious singles gold right now! You gonna go on to Super Brawl and win the United States Heavyweight Championship, and make our family proud. The Revolution runs down tonight, I’ll handle my business. You, you stay backstage. Promise me that.

Booker T: But-

Stevie Ray: Promise me.

Booker T: You’ve got to be out of your damn mind if –

Stevie Ray: Promise. Me.

Booker T: Fine. I promise to stay backstage.

The tense moment here is interrupted by a backstage worker informing Stevie Ray his match is starting in a few minutes. Stevie Ray leaves after giving his clearly unhappy brother a quick hug.

Match #2
Stevie Ray vs. Perry Saturn

This was just a straight up brawl. Perhaps a nice touch on Rasslin tradition, but these two men came into the ring with murder clearly evident in their eyes, and it showed in their actions. The two men just completely whaled at each other and hit big power moves that had the announce team and the crowd wincing in sympathy. But in the end, Perry Saturn clearly dominated here. Far more vicious and perhaps more in harmony then Stevie Ray, Perry Saturn defeats Stevie Ray cleanly after a sudden and jarring switch to a series of technical holds and submissions followed up with The Rings of Saturn on the former Harlem Heat wrestler. Despite the warning from Terry Funk for all wrestlers related to the incident on Nitro to stay out of it, it wasn’t needed as Stevie Ray tapped out.

Winner via Submission: Perry Saturn

As Perry Saturn and Stevie Ray come to, Shane Douglas and Dean Malenko go on the Titantron screen to a chorus of boos.

Douglas: Do you see! DO YOU SEE WHAT THE REVOLUTION HAS BROUGHT TO PERRY SATURN!?!?! It has brought him strength! It has brought Dean Malenko the strength he will use to defeat Eddie Guerrero tonight. The strength that I used to defeat Hugh Morrus this Monday! Stevie Ray, twice you have you defied the Revolution! No more, I say. Join us!

A heaping amount of boos shows what the crowd thinks of that.

Douglas: Ignore them, Stevie Ray. Give me your answer, now! Saturn, get him a microphone!

Perry Saturn obediently goes to get a microphone for Stevie Ray, dragging him up to make his answer.

Stevie Ray: You… you must be out yo’ damn mind…

And the crowd cheers as Douglas flips his shit.

Saturn moves to strike him with the microphone, but here’s Booker T with a chair! SMACK! Right onto Saturn’s head as he strikes from behind! The crowd is cheering for Booker T with a chant as he beats on Saturn a couple more times with the chair before the United States Heavyweight contender grabs the dropped microphone.

Booker T: Shane Douglas, let’s get one thing straight. You do not ever, attack my brother. Not you, not Dean Malenko, not Perry Saturn, not any future member of The Revolution.

Pop

Booker T: But I can see that words aren’t going to get through yo’ thick skulls.

Pop

Booker T: So that’s why I went to Terry Funk while Stevie Ray and Perry Saturn had their match. Next week on Nitro, you and I will face each other in the second round of the United States Heavyweight Championship tournament!

Pop

Booker T: And just like I beat Saturn this Nitro, Imma beat your ass next week.

By now Douglas has recovered from his hissy fit and is fit to address Booker T’s actions.

Douglas: Good for you, Booker. Ya feel proud? You people proud of him? Big Bad Booker T is gonna go head to head with the best of the best in Shane Douglas next week! But tell you what sport, how about we make it a little bit more interesting? If I beat you next week, you join The Revolution! But if I for some reason lose, then The Revolution backs off on you and your brother, outside of official matches. Sounds fair?

Booker T: Douglas, you got yourself a deal.

Harlem Heat then heads to the back as does a wary Perry Saturn as the announce team hype up the next match on Thunder, as Chavo Guerrero goes head to head with Super Dragon!

Match #3
Chavo Guerrero vs. Super Dragon

These two put on one hell of a wrestling match. A nice mix of high flying and lucha libre style spots and the technical skill of the two wrestlers that was well received by this New York crowd, who were clearly behind Super Dragon as the rookie attempted to make an upset and defeat the veteran Guerrero. Yet once again this week, Chavo Guerrero is clearly the one dominating the match as he throws Super Dragon around and lays into him with punishing attacks, while the announcers of course were talking about his new found aggression and tactics. Considering he’s 1 and 0 so far, maybe he’s on to something here, guys. Guerrero picks up the win with a Loco Lock, getting the submission moments after as Chavo Guerrero goes 2 and 0.

Winner via Submission: Chavo Guerrero

After the match Chavo once again issues his challenge to La Parka. After doing so, he gives Dragon a brainbuster. Dragon is on the mat writhing in pain, but it’s not good enough for Guerrero, who moves to perform a second one-

Blitzkrieg! Here comes Blitzkrieg, running down to the ring! He’s on the ropes-

Standing Dropkick! Guerrero just dropkicked Blitzkrieg onto the ringside! Guerrero’s launched himself over the top rope at Blitzkrieg! Its absolute mayhem here at as Guerrero and Blitzkrieg brawl their way to the back! Meanwhile referee Nick Patrick is helping Super Dragon backstage as well, who is really not in the best of shape after a deadly brain-buster and a Loco Lock.

Tenay: Wow. Chavo Guerrero picks up his second victory of the week, this time over Super Dragon, who is clearly not in the best of shape.

Schiavone: Guerrero clearly dominated that match up, and more and more I have to wonder if what he’s saying, what he’s promoting isn’t just common sense. Look at Blitzkrieg and Super Dragon. They’re young guys with a future in this business. For a veteran like Guerrero who’s been overlooked so many times in his career, he’s not going to let young punks like them get the better of him, to surpass him and take opportunities that he thinks he deserves.

Hudson: Except there’s a difference between him and most veterans: He’s not whining about it. He’s just going out there to beat the hell out of his opponent, to build a case for himself before Terry Funk. How many times have we seen an nWo wrestler just stroll in and get himself a title shot under the Bischoff regime? Terry Funk on the other hand has had no reason to be biased or unfair in his dealings so far, so I think it’s safe to say that Chavo will probably be getting his title shot at Super Brawl.

Tenay: True, even if Funk refuses I don’t imagine La Parka will tolerate such a threat to his reign and the damage it’ll do backstage if he ducks Guerrero. It isn’t the way of lucha wrestlers to just side-step their challengers like this and it would be a big blow to La Parka’s reputation in Mexico if – Uh I’ve just received word that the Los Villanos wish to make a statement to their upcoming opponents, the Future Animals.

We got to Pamela Paulshock, backstage with Villanos IV & V. As the Villanos speak, translated text appears on the screen.

Paulshock: Los Villanos, you requested this time so that you could speak to Rey Misterio and Billy Kidman.

Villanos IV: Si, senorita.

Villanos V: Rey! You, Psicosis and Juventad broke the code of lucha libre. You have dishonored Mexican wrestling, and at the same time, you have dishonored us!

Villanos IV: Were Asistencia Asesoría y Administración or Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre the promotions where you had done your deeds in, you would have been banned from performing in Mexico!

Villanos V: But here in America, they do not understand the severity of your actions. We know for a fact both Asistencia Asesoría y Administración and Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre have sent letters, emails and envoys to both Terry Funk and his predecessors over this matter.

Villanos IV: Terry Funk has yet to answer to them, we are told. But it does not matter. We will represent Mexico in this matter. Rey, Juventad, Psicosis, you will all pay for your crimes against lucha libre, starting tonight with you, Rey Misterio. As for you, Billy Kidman, you would be wise to stay out of this battle. It does not concern you. It never will.

The two Villanos then leave abruptly, leaving Pamela to recap their statement.

Paulshock: I guess Los Villanos have made their point very clear. To the formerly masked wrestlers, watch out. Because Los Villanos are on the warpath.

--

Match #4
Los Villanos (Villanos IV & V) vs. The Filthy Animals (Rey Misterio & Billy Kidman)

These four men put on one hell of a lucha match, which is surprising considering Kidman’s lack of experience in that style of wrestling. Rey and Villanos IV start us off, going into a test of strength that Villanos IV loses when Rey immediately switches to an wristlock, holding his opponent in a great deal of pain.

Villanos IV tries rolling forward and backward to get out of the wristlock but to no avail as Misterio keeps it clenched on. Finally after coinciding a rolling forward with a jump, Villanos IV manages to reverse the wristlock on Misterio. Misterio reverses it on Villanos IV even faster and goes for a second wristlock that is stopped by IV. Rey responds by using Villanos IV’s forward leg as a platform to perform a short armbar on the masked superstar which holds for a few moments before Misterio lets go and attempts to drag him to a neutral corner. Villanos gets back to his feet while still holding onto Rey, and throws him over his shoulders and onto the mat. Rey does the same to him, but Villanos IV buys some time by performing an awkward kick to the face that allows him to tag in Villanos V.

V gets in the ring just in time for Misterio to get to his feet and tag in Kidman, which slows down the masked lucha wrestler. The two men pace one another, trying to get a feel of what should be their first move. Villanos V goes in with a horse spin kick to the gut of Kidman that sends to the mat breathing for air. Kidman gets up into a neutral corner, but he doesn’t get much time to recover as V gives him an Irish whip across the ring that is followed with a running Lariat.

Now on the ground, Kidman takes a stomp or two from V’s feet as he grasps the ropes to get the behemoth luchadore off him. V picks him up to repeat his recent Irish whip, throwing back into the neutral corner where Kidman originally backed up to. He runs to perform a second running Lariat and –

He misses! Kidman gets out of the way just in time, and Kidman gets to work with the chops in the corner, evoking a Whooooooo from the crowd in respect to Ric Flair before getting him in a side-headlock that turns into a running bulldog. Villanos V is on the ground and might be out for the count! 1, 2,

No! V comes to his senses just before the three count and practically picks up Kidman from the ground for a military press followed up with a clothesline! Kidman’s on the ground, V goes for a standing moonsault by Kidman rolls out to ringside, with Villanos hitting the mat! Kidman gets back in right away, getting onto the top rope and launching himself on Villanos V for a hurricane that gets the 1, 2, 3!

Winners via Pinfall: The Filthy Animals

--

Rey Misterio and Billy Kidman are celebrating their victory over Los Villanos as they pander to the crowd, but they’re not out of trouble yet. Los Villanos, furious at losing to such a base tactic such as Kidman rolling out of the ring; strike both men from behind. They manage to overwhelm the two initially, bringing them down to the mat and stomping away at them before Doug Dillinger’s security forces arrive and send them to the back.
Tenay: Wow. Los Villanos, clearly none too pleased with their loss to the Filthy Animals.

Hudson: Well, that was a cheap ending to the match in my opinion… for such honor driven men, something like that would offend them…
Schiavone: Well, up next before his match with the psychotic wrestler, Crowbar; the “The Total Package” Lex Luger wishes to address the recent appearance of Sting at Souled Out.

We see short video of Luger dressed as Sting over the past couple of weeks and footage of his attack on Sting at Starrcade that put the Stinger on the shelf mixed with Sting’s appearance at Souled Out that helped kill the nWo before the TurnerTron cuts to Pamela Paulshock, Ms Elizabeth and Lex Luger backstage.

Paulshock: Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce my guest at this time, “The Total Package” Lex Luger. Lex, since Starrcade, you’ve been gloating about how you defeated Sting, about how you killed the legend of Sting. What do you have to say now that he made time to help ensure the nWo die at the hands of our new Commissioner Terry Funk?

Luger: … That was not Sting.

Paulshock: But-

Luger: Don’t interrupt me! That was not Sting! How on earth could that be sting! I killed Sting at Starrcade. Sting is dead!

Paulshock: So what’s your explanation?

Luger: Fake Sting.

Paulshock: What?

Luger: Fake Sting. Like back in ’96 with the nWo. They paraded around a fake Sting that had everyone fooled, including me! But I’m not falling for it this time! Come on, Pamela! What’s stopping Ric, Terry and Arn from copying one of Eric’s old tricks, huh? Nothing!

Paulshock: What possible reason could they want to do that-

Luger: Please, the history between me Flair and Arn could write a book. And Funk clearly would have gone along with it. The old bastard’s taken one too many shots to the head to be thinking straight. Pissing me off is the wrong thing to do, because I am the man carrying this company! I don’t even know why he’s still Commissioner, with the amount of bad decisions he’s made since coming into power. Sting is dead and I killed him! You got that.

Paulshock: *scared* Uh, yes.

Luger: Good. Now, I’ve got a match with that freak, Crowbar up next.

And with that, The Total Package exits backstage alongside Ms. Elizabeth, leaving behind a somewhat terrified Paulshock.

Match #5
“The Total Package” Lex Luger w/Ms. Elizabeth vs. Crowbar w/Daffney

Most of this is purely brawling between Luger and Crowbar as the announcers talking about Luger putting Sting out of action at Starrcade. Luger is on the verge of winning and goes for the Torture Rack when the lights start to flicker...

SEEK AND DESTROY! By Metallica comes on. Lex Luger is just standing there in the middle of the ring, staring in disbelief as Sting appears on the TurnerTron to a crazy amount of cheering and STING! chanting.​

Sting: Looks like I’m not as dead as you though I was. I’ll see you at Super Brawl, Lex.

Roll up, roll up! Crowbar rolls up Luger from behind, Ms. Elizabeth is trying to interfere… dropkick from Daffney to Ms. Elizabeth! The referee is counting the pin, 1...2....3!

Winner via Pinfall: Crowbar

Crowbar and Daffney are just celebrating in the ring as Lex Luger just walks backstage in shock, with Ms. Elizabeth trying to get through to him.

Tony Schiavone: Oh my God. This is truly a year of changes. Chris Benoit is holding the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, Sting is coming back at Super Brawl, and Vampiro and Norman Smiley are holding the WCW Tag Team Championships. Super Brawl just might be the greatest night our industry, guys.

Hudson: Well, I don’t think it’s that big, but it definitely will be something, especially with Vampiro and Norman Smiley defending their recently gained tag titles against the Mamalukes. The Mamalukes had a chance to show their stuff on Nitro, and tonight on Thunder, Vampiro and Smiley get that same chance, this time against Los Fabulosos.

Cut to backstage, Diamond Dallas Page and Kimberly Page standing in the office of Commissioner Terry Funk

Page: I demand a rematch with Benoit at Super Brawl. Just sign the deal. With all the big talk Benoit’s been doing since he’s won the belt, it’s not like he’s going to refuse.

Funk: You already got your chance on Nitro. And if I recall correctly, he beat you cleanly. By submission.

Page: That move of his should be illegal! Its practically a choke-hold-

Funk: Dallas, I’m not listening to excuses. There are people ahead of you who deserve a shot. Flair’s already got a spot on Benoit’s card, and I don’t mind setting it at Super Brawl.

Page: Flair? Flair!?!? That old windbag should be in a retirement home, not in the ring for the World Heavyweight Championship! Neither he or Benoit should be holding the belt right now! I am the only choice for the face of this company, Terry, and you know that!

Funk: Tell you what. Prove to me you deserve another shot at the title. Tonight you’ve got a match with Flair. Win, and I just might ink the match for Super Brawl.

Page: Now see, that’s what I’m talking about, Terry. That’s good Commisionering! I’ll beat Flair tonight, tomorrow and every night from here to Super Brawl if I have to!

Match #6

Vampiro and Norman Smiley vs. Los Fabulosos

The two hottest men in all of Latin America enter the ring first, preening and acting like they’re the best in the world as they exit backstage, with El Dandy and Silver King even flirting with the women at ringside.

The team of Vampiro and Norman Smiley enter together, with Norman showing solidarity with Vampiro by putting on his face paint. Of course Smiley acts completely different than Vampiro when he starts slapping hands with people and does a gyrating walk to the ring.

The bell rings and Vampiro and El Dandy lock up, and Vampiro immediately dominates the match, hitting stiff strikes on the Mexican star followed by an Irish whip into a neutral corner. With El Dandy dazed, Vampiro follows that up with a dropkick to Silver King before clotheslining a recovering El Dandy. Vampiro then dragged his opponent into the middle of the ring to gut-wrench powerbomb him into the mat before tagging in Norman Smiley. Norman immediately gets to his clowning around, which gets a big pop from the crowd as he performs the big wiggle on a slowly rising El Dandy before performing a leg drop that’s followed by a standing moonsault for 1, 2, thr-

No! Silver King from the top rope to perform a frog splash on Norman Smiley! Smiley’s eating the foot-stomps from Silver King, here’s Vampiro with a Lariat to King that takes them both over the top rope, continuing the fight outside as the two throw blows right in front of the fans.

El Dandy gets back up to his feet and hits a jawbreaker on a dazed Norman Smiley to attempt a pin but only gets a 2! Norman realized where he’s at and lowblows El Dandy while referee Johnson attempts to get the re-entering Vampiro to his corner. Norman picks up El Dandy for an whip to the ropes that has Dandy in the Nail in the Coffin from a tagged in Vampiro to get the pin!

Winners via Pinfall: Vampiro and Norman Smiley

--

Tenay: A phenomenal victory for the nascent tag team champions in what is their first official tag team match!

Schiavone: I gotta say, I had my doubts, but Smiley and Vampiro showed that they could work together.

Hudson: You know gotta be watching this? The Mamalukes. This match has just provided them with a wealth of information on the tag team champs and they’d be remiss not to capitalize on it. Next up, Eddie Guerrero goes one on one with Dean Malenko!

Cut to backstage for the final time. Eddie Guerrero is heading to the ring for his match against Malenko when he runs into his nephew Chavo.

Eddie: Chavo! Been trying to get a hold of you for a while now, nephew!

Chavo: Don’t you got a match to get to, man?

Eddie: Malenko’s heading out first, I can kill a few minutes. What in the world is up with you these past few days, man? Attacking La Parka, Blitzkrieg, Super Dragon? I can’t say I’m too happy with the way you’ve been acting lately.

Chavo: You’re not too happy? You serious? At least I’m getting results, Eddie!

Eddie: Calm down, Chavo-

Chavo: No, I’m not going to “calm down”, Eddie. You expect me to be a choir boy or something? Fuck that! This is World Championship Wrestling, man! Where the big boys play! This is a whole new world, man, and the days where you could just coast by messing around with the “Animals” don’t exist anymore. This is a dog-eat-dog, take-no-prisoners situation now. One week in and I’m already building a case for a match with La Parka at Super Brawl. You? You’ve been getting manhandled by no-name Revolution Punks for months, now!

Eddie: Look-

Chavo: No, you look! You want to be the next United States Heavyweight Championship? Then you better be ready to fight for it. You’d better be ready to pull out all the stops, to Lie, Cheat and Steal to make sure you hold that belt. Rather than just half-assing it like you are already. Don’t make this opportunity a waste of time, man. Don’t.

Chavo then leaves, leaving behind his uncle to ponder his words as he finally gets to his match.

Match #7
Eddie Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko

Eddie Guerrero finally enters the arena to a major swelling of cheers and support as he goes against the hated Dean Malenko. Eddie for his part seems to be still distracted by Chavo’s words as the bell rings, giving Malenko advantage early on, as he lives up to his moniker as the man of the Thousand Holds, torturing Guerrero with submission after submission. But Eddie eventually fights out, and with a well-timed low blow to Malenko, manages to buy himself some time to get to his feet as Nitro goes to commercial break.

As Nitro returns from the commercial, the match has become more even, with Guerrero and Malenko trading shots and strikes. Guerrero eventually breaks the pace by throwing Malenko over the top rope and onto the announce table. After a few moments of hesitation, he quickly followed, leaping over the top rope and onto Malenko to a massive cheer from the crowd.

The referee begins counting to ten as the two wrestlers struggle to get back to the ring. Ultimately both do so at the seven count, allowing them both to get into a Greco-Roman knuckle lock which Malenko uses to get in a legsweep that takes Guerrero down for a pin but he doesn’t even get a one count.

Guerrero gets up and the two pace each, occasionally feinting a go at the other’s legs. Eventually Malenko charges and Eddie gets in a hammer lock, getting leverage as Malenko falls to one knee. Malenko powers out of it, throwing his opponent with an Irish whip into the ropes that is followed up by a hip toss. Malenko prevents further momentum with a monkey toss. Guerrero easily turns around, hanging back to avoid a DDT drop kick from Malenko. Guerrero hits off the opposing second rope for a bulldog takeover that only gives him a two count when a pin is attempted. He lifts Malenko to his feet to perform a wristlock as the crowd begins chanting his name. He goes to the top corner and takes Malenko over him using the top ropes as leverage. That is followed up by a chokeslam and then a fisherman’s suplex that is the base for another pinfall attempt by Guerrero. Malenko kicks out and the frustration is clear on Eddie Guerrero’s face.

As it is on Shane Douglas’s face as he and Perry Saturn walk down to the ring with obviously bad intentions, attracting right behind them Harlem Heat, The Filthy Animals and Los Villanos in what is a 9 man brawl that the referee in the ring and the security detail struggles to contain.

Meanwhile, Eddie Guerrero has left the ring to grab a chair from ringside. As Dean Malenko comes to, Eddie smashes the chair right on his head, knocking out the Iceman, cold. But Eddie is not satisfied, as he lays several more blows on Malenko before hastily disposing of the chair as the brawl is finally settled down and referee Nick Patrick returns to the ring to see Eddie frog-splashing an already comatose Malenko for the pin.

The crowd is somewhat quiet as the referee rings the bell, announcing that Eddie Guerrero is now the fourth and final man to pass the first round of the United States Heavyweight Championship tournament!

Winner via Pinfall: Eddie Guerrero

Match #8
Diamond Dallas Page w/ Kimberly Page vs. Ric Flair

The two men manage to get to the ring without any shenanigans, which in a week full of them is rather surprising. Ric does his little strut in the ring while DDP does the Self High Five to taunt the fans. Immediately after this little bit of show-boating, the two lock up, with Flair driving DDP into a corner. A knee into Flair’s gut gives DDP momentum to switch positions as referee Charles Robinson gives a 5 count to break it up. DDP obliges, instead launching devastating punches on Flair’s abdomen before a final one straight to his head.

An Irish whip across the ring goes off successfully, and an attempted charge by Flair gets him a shoulder toss over DDP that has him land on his back. Ric gets himself to a corner while DDP mockingly taunts him with a Whoo that gets a chant from the crowd. DDP and Flair lock up again, which DDP uses to get Ric in a headlock that Flair escapes by pushing DDP into the ropes. Page turns this around with a running shoulder block that knocks Flair off his feet; letting Page be charitable with quite a few footstomps before performing an elbow drop. DDP is quite pleased with himself, shouting at Flair that “I’m the man now!”

But Flair isn’t done yet. Rising to his feet, the cagey veteran unleashes a series of chops on his opponent that drives him to the corner and evoke Whooos from the crowd watching. A final punch to the head and an Irish whip across the ring to another corner sees Flair repay DDP’s previous shoulder toss with a massive hip toss of his own that throws DDP over the top rope as we go to commercial.

Coming back from commercial, we see that Ric Flair has chased after DDP and is giving him chops at the steel barricade in front of the fans while Kimberly is watching. Flair gives her a wink and that’s all that’s needed to set off DDP, who immediately recovers, striking back and forth with Flair in a straight up fist fight before DDP just snaps and slams Ric Flair’s head off the steel barricade. Stunned, Flair is helpless to getting dragged back to the ring and taking a Diamond Cutter. Even then Flair kicks out to a pin, driving the crowd crazy. At a nod from DDP, Kimberly gets to the mat, distracting the referee and allowing DDP to low blow a recovering Ric Flair before Diamond Cuttering him for the second time to gain the pin.

Winner via Pinfall: Diamond Dallas Page

Diamond Dallas Page immediately leaves the ring to grab a microphone from ringside, reentering the ring as Ric Flair is helped to the locker room by Charles Robinson.

Page: Funk, I’ll be expecting you to ink that match for Super Brawl, now.

And with that, the People’s Champ drops the microphone to the mat and makes his way to the back as Thunder goes off the air.

Very nice, I went 7 for 7 in my predictions. I'm loving this thread Mr. Hashasheen. It's obvious you're putting a ton of work into your card results. I really enjoy the card layout, the match results are descriptive but not too long and boring, and all of the dialogue among the wrestlers/announcers is top notch.

Looking forward to Nitro

Very nice, I went 7 for 7 in my predictions. I'm loving this thread Mr. Hashasheen. It's obvious you're putting a ton of work into your card results. I really enjoy the card layout, the match results are descriptive but not too long and boring, and all of the dialogue among the wrestlers/announcers is top notch.

Looking forward to Nitro

Thanks. :) Yeah, I had a bit of trouble with the card write ups because I didn't want to get too bogged down in the matches and end up having to write this at a glacial pace (after all, its the promos and the simple descriptions that set the angles), and looking up videos of old WCW takes time, but helps me set a match right in terms of what the wrestlers could do.

The formatting is very annoying though. I end up having to do everything from scratch whenever I post it here, which ends up taking 15 minutes to be completly sure its not fucked up.

As for the Nitro, it'll have to wait until I do the abbrievated version of Worldwide and Saturday Night. While Vinco Russo had to do less than I do here (in that he doesn't have to write everything up), I can see why he turned Saturday Night into a show to bump up the other programming. Its just much easier on the mind. They'll take a couple of days to write up, along with the Nitro Hype card.

WCW Saturday Night

Shown February 5th, 2000

Saturday Night comes to you taped from Amherst, Massachusetts

==
Christopher Daniels defeated Homicide
Shannon and Shane w/Evan defeat PG13
Rerun of Lex Luger match on Thunder
La Parka defeats Tony Marinara
Ciclope defeats Damien 666
Chris Benoit announces title defence tonight
Chris Harris defeats Mark Jindrak
Chuck Palumbo and Sean O’Haire beat Power Company
Mike Sanders beats Shark Boy
Evan Karagias defeats Elix Skipper
Chris Kanyon defeats Air Paris
Chris Kanyon announces his intention of taking the WCW World Television Championship
Norman Smiley and Vampiro defeat the Havana Pitbulls and the Spanish Attack Team
In the Main Event, World Heavyweight Champion Chris Benoit beat Shawn Stasiak in a title match.

WCW House Show

Charleston, South Carolina – February 3rd, 2000

Lash LeRoux defeats Juventad Guerrera
Billy Kidman w/ Torrie Wilson defeats Elix Skipper
Mamalukes defeat Team Canada
Crowbar w/Daffney defeats Glacier
Blitzkrieg defeats AJ Styles
Scott Steiner defeats Nick Dinsmore
Chris Benoit defeats Chris Kanyon in defense of his World Heavyweight Championship

WCW House Show

Columbia, South Carolina – February 4th, 2000

Psicosis defeats Super Dragon
Billy Kidman w/ Torrie Wilson defeats Elix Skipper
Mamalukes defeat Team Canada
Crowbar w/Daffney defeats Konnan
Blitzkrieg defeats AJ Styles
Hugh Morrus defeats Chuck Palumbo
Ric Flair defeats Lex Luger w/Ms. Elizabeth

WCW House Show

Savannah, Georgia – February 5th, 2000

The Havana Pitbulls defeat the Backseat Boyz
The Haas Brothers defeat the Spanish Attack Team
La Parka defeats Konnan in a defense of his Cruiserweight Championship
Billy Kidman defeats Chuck Palumbo
Norman Smiley and Vampiro defeat Team Canada in a defense of their World Tag Team Championships
Eddie Guerrero defeats Perry Saturn
Lex Luger defeats Hugh Morrus

WCW House Show

Wichita, Kansas – February 6th, 2000

Psicosis defeats Lash LeRoux
Team Canada defeat The Jung Dragons
Crowbar defeats Stevie Ray
Chris Kanyon defeats Lex Luger
The Mamalukes defeat the Haas Brothers
Terry Funk defeats Ric Flair in a Legends Match
Chris Benoit defeats Juventad Guerrera in a Match for the World Heavyweight Championship

Wow, you're getting every detail out there. House shows, WCW Saturday night and everything. Can't wait for February 7th's Monday nitro.

Wow, you're getting every detail out there. House shows, WCW Saturday night and everything.
Bless the ddtdigest, for it has provided with abundance. :worship:

Seriously, I'd have just left the house shows out of it if I hadn't gotten a link to there from a friend.

Nitro
07/02/2000

Rey Misterio, Billy Kidman w/Torrie Wilson and La Parka versus Chavo Guerrero and Los Villanos
Chavo Guerrero has been on a tear as of late, destroying several cruiserweight wrestlers. Los Villanos is on the warpath, demanding recompense from the formerly masked luchadores. Opposing them is the current Cruiserweight Champion La Parka, in his first reign and the two Filthy Animals Rey Misterio and Billy Kidman. These two coalescing wars will merge tonight as these 6 wrestlers go head to head in 3 on 3 action!

Konnan versus Crowbar w/Daffney
Since abandoning David Flair at Souled Out, Crowbar has been on a tear as of late, even pinning a former World Heavyweight Champion in Lex Luger this last Wednesday. Conversely, Konnan has been on a losing streak of sorts, having already lost his chance to once again become a United States Heavyweight Championship. Can he cut down the insane wrestler and pass the first round of the WCW World Television Championship tournament? Or will Crowbar and the banshee Daffney succeed yet again?

Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg versus Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko
Cruiserweights and friends Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg go head to head with Revolution teammates Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko. Cut off from the United States Heavyweight Championship, the two Revolution warriors will team up on Nitro as a tag team to possibly begin a run at Vampiro and Norman Smiley’s tag team championships. Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg meanwhile want to get past their defeats to Chavo Guerrero last week, and could get few better victories than over multiple time champions and veterans in Malenko and Saturn.

Chris Kanyon versus Stevie Ray
In the second match of the night revolving around the WCW World Television Championship tournament, “Champagne” Chris Kanyon goes head to head with Stevie Ray to pass the first round of the of the tournament. Will we see both members of Harlem Heat win singles gold by Super Brawl, or will Stevie Ray go down to the returning Chris Kanyon

Vampiro versus Johnny Stamboli
At SuperBrawl, Smiley and Vampiro are set to go head to head with the Mamalukes for the WCW World Tag Team Championships. On Nitro however, we get a little preview as Johnny Stamboli faces off in singles actions against Vampiro. Will the Mamalukes see the victory this night, or will they eat a Nail in the Coffin?

Booker T versus Shane Douglas
Booker T and Shane Douglas here go head to head to pass the second round of the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship tournament. But that’s not the only thing on the line. Since last week’s return to Nitro, The Revolution has been harassing both Booker T and his reconciled brother Stevie Ray. Last week on Thunder, Booker T prevented Perry Saturn from attacking his brother with a chair and announced that he would face Shane Douglas this Nitro. Not to be outdone, Shane offered a deal: If Booker T wins, The Revolution would back off the Huffman brothers. But should Booker T’s shoulders go down for the 1,2,3, then Booker T would join the Revolution. Will Booker T gain immunity for himself and his brother? Or will Revolution induct its latest member?

Chris Benoit versus Lex Luger w/Ms. Elizabeth
It has been three weeks since Chris Benoit won his World Heavyweight Championship at SuperBrawl. Since then, he has defended his championship against every challenger. Tonight, he makes a defense against “The Total Package” Lex Luger. Will Lex Luger win and become WCW World Heavyweight Champion coming into SuperBrawl to face Sting, or will Benoit continue his reign ontop of the mountain?

El Dandy, Silver King, Jacques Rougeau, Carl Ouellet, Mark Jindrak and Nick Dinsmore are also set to be in action in exclusive dark matches!

Eddie Guerrero is also set to make an appearance explaining his actions this past Wednesday Night on Thunder

==

Quick-look card:

Dark Matches
Los Fabulosos versus Team Canada
Mark Jindrak versus Nick Dinsmore

Televised Matches
Rey Misterio, Billy Kidman and La Parka versus Chavo Guerrero and Los Villanos
Konnan versus Crowbar w/Daffney
Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg versus Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko
“Champagne” Chris Kanyon versus Stevie Ray
Vampiro versus Johnny Stamboli
Booker T versus Shane Douglas
Chris Benoit versus Lex Luger w/Ms. Elizabeth for the World Heavyweight Championship

WCW Nitro
February 7th, 2000

Dark Match #1
Los Fabulosos vs. Team Canada

A fine tag team match between the two veteran tandems that was evenly matched. Team Canada dominated early on before Los Fabulosos regained momentum to attempt several near pins. Ultimately however, Ouellet would pick up the win, getting the 1, 2, 3.

Winners via Pinfall: Team Canada

Dark Match #2
Mark Jindrak vs. Nick Dinsmore

These two manage to make a nice bit of contrast from the preceding match with purely technical wrestling by Jindrak and Dinsmore. Nick Dinsmore is clearly the one in the charge throughout the entire match up, working over Jindrak for much of the match and managing to hold his own during Jindrak’s bursts of momentum to finally force him to submit to a modified sharpshooter.

Winner via Pinfall: Nick Dinsmore

==

Tonight's edition of Nitro comes to you live from Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Schiavone: Fans, Welcome to Monday Night Nitro and we are tonight in Tulsa, Oklahoma! I am joined as always by Bobby "the Brain" Heenan and "Iron" Mike Tenay! And fellas, this has really been a week of change. Chris Benoit is the new World Heavyweight Champion, Vampiro and Norman Smiley hold the coveted Tag Team Championships, La Parka is our Cruiserweight Champion and tonight we see the first round of the WCW Television Championship tournament as well as one half of the second round of the United States Heavyweight Championship tournament. We’ve seen The Revolution attack Stevie Ray and Booker T, we’ve seen Chris Benoit cleanly force DDP to submit, what the hell is going on?

Heenan: Well, you know I always know what’s going on, and I’ll tell you what’s what. This isn’t the old WCW anymore. It’s a brand new world like Chavo Guerrero said, and frankly, it’s better for it!

Tenay: Speaking of Chavo Guerrero, he is wrestling tonight in our first match of the night in a 3 on 3 match alongside Los Villanos against the Filthy Animals and the Cruiserweight Champion, La Parka! Right now we go to backstage, where Chavo and Los Villanos are making a statement with Pamela Paulshock.

Cut to backstage, Chavo Guerrero and Los Villanos are looming over Pamela Paulshock’s offered microphone

Guerrero: Tonight, both myself and Los Villanos here get our hands on our current targets. Tonight, I get my hands on La Parka. La Parka man, you’ve been ducking me for the last week, and that shit don’t fly with me esse. Which is why I spoke with Terry Funk before we started broadcasting and got him to agree to this: If me and Los Villanos win tonight, I get you for the championship, and Los Villanos here gets a proper rematch against Rey Rey and Billy Kidman. And it’ll all go down at SuperBrawl.

La Parka’s music then hits the arena as La Parka, Rey Rey and Billy Kidman make their way down to the ring, slapping hands with the fans as La Parka proudly displays both his chair as well as the WCW Cruiserweight Championship. Seconds after they enter the ring and finish their showboating, Chavo follows, waiting patiently at ringside for his teammates to follow him and to start the match.

Match #1
Chavo Guerrero and Los Villanos vs. La Parka and the Filthy Animals in a Lucha Libre Rules Tag Team Match

Villanos IV and Billy Kidman start this bout off as Tenay spouts off some facts about tag team wrestling being the cornerstone of lucha libre down in Mexico and explains the rules of Lucha Libre matches to the Oklahoma crowd. IV immediately begins throwing punches that drop Kidman to his knees, before he recovers and the two start throwing punches as they move around the other in a circular manner. Villanos gets Kidman in a headlock before Kidman goes backwards into the ropes to push IV off him and across the ring. Bouncing off the ropes, IV shoulder-blocks Kidman to the ground. A missed knee drop by IV allows Kidman to get back up, whipping IV across the ropes laterally this time, ducking under an attempted clothesline to turn back and hit a dropkick. Kidman drags IV back to their corner and exits to let in La Parka, and the cruiserweight champion immediately enters the ring to get his chops in, manhandling IV as he levels him with quick light punches to the head and a hurricane which IV dodges as he rolls out of the ring to bring tag in Chavo, who accepts with a grin.

La Parka and Chavo stare each other down for a short while, trying to get the psychological edge in the match up before they both charge across the ring for attempted shoulder blocks that both no sell. La Parka has a little strange fit before regaining his wit and scoop power slamming Chavo into the mat hard to get a two count before Chavo pushes him off. La Parka hits him with a chop that gets a Ric Flair Whoo. An irish whip gets reversed by Chavo who sees La Parka avoid a wild punish to get behind him for an attempted German Suplex that is prevented by repeated wild elbows to the head that allows Chavo to get away and turn back to clothesline La Parka. Chavo plays to the crowd to get heat, allowing La Parka to do a whirlie-bird to get back on his feet.

A charge by Chavo sees a sweet tornado kick to the back of his head from La Parka leaving him dazed. Falling back, he waves to Villanos V to take care of the cruiserweight champion as he himself exits, and if anything can be taken from the missile dropkick from the top rope to La Parka’s head, it that he’s eager to face the champ. La Parka rolls out of the ring which sees a hurricana from Rey onto V that sends him out the ring. Chavo enters and drop-kicks him out the ring, following it up to one to Kidman who follows his tag team partner out. La Parka reenters the ring and no sells an attempted drop kick from Chavo and makes to throw him out, but a Lariat from IV changes that attempt as La Parka and IV go over the top rope and start fighting it out at ringside. V gets tagged in by Chavo to face a re-entering Rey, and a wristlock turned into a short clothesline. V picks up Rey Rey on his shoulders as Chavo moonsaults from the top rope onto both men. Kidman re-enters as V rolls out, but a double whip from Rey Rey and Kidman is their misfortune as its gets turned into a stiff crossbody from Chavo that gets him the pin for the 1,2,3.

Winners via Pinfall: Chavo Guerrero and Los Villanos

Chavo and Villanos V celebrate in the ring for a short while before leaving to pick up IV from ringside, where he has been facing the brunt of La Parka’s attacks and head to the locker room. Up the ramp, Chavo gestures to La Parka, who is in the ring brandishing his wielding his chair and his championship as he shouts back his challenge against Chavo as Rey Rey and Kidman come to and Nitro goes to commercial.

We come back to commercial to see Crowbar and Daffney backstage, most likely to address Crowbar’s future opponent.

Crowbar: Konnan… Konnan.. Oh Barbarian warrior… Konnan, you’re not going to win tonight. I’m gonna win tonight. You want to know why? Because I won’t stop coming, Konnan. I won’t stop coming, and when you’re down and out, I’m going to get right back up and I’m going to hurt you. I’m going to hurt you real bad.

Match #2Crowbar w/Daffney vs. Konnan w/ Tygress

With Konnan already in the ring and Crowbar running down to meet him, these two certainly don’t waste any time as they immediately start throwing punches. A stiff punch from Konnan sends Crowbar to the corner, where he gets his head slammed onto the post. A kick from Crowbar gets caught by Konnan, who responds with a kick to Crowbar’s gut that sends him to the ground. Crowbar is on the ground for a few moments wheezing as Konnan raises him up and throws him over the top rope and into the steel barricade.

The two begin brawling at ringside as the referee begins the ten count, with Crowbar gaining the advantage by slamming Konnan’s head on the barricade and then rolling him back in to break the count. Pausing to utter a cheer at the crowd, Crowbar then follows Konnan into the ring, by leaping over the top ropes to perform a double knee drop on Konnan. Attempting a pin, it is broken up by an interfering Tygress who is swiftly handled by Daffney who charges her out of the ring. Meanwhile both Konnan and Crowbar have returned to a standing position, with Crowbar unleashing chops on Konnan. A kick from Konnan to Crowbar is held, which Konnan uses to perform a leaping knee to the face that knocks Crowbar backwards as he attempts a pin that only gets a 1.

Konnan gets Crowbar in a side headlock, before picking him up and dropping him on the top rope in a move that has everyone wincing. Crowbar drops to the apron as Daffney attempts to look him over, but they both get hit by a baseball slide from Konnan.

Crowbar spears Konnan to the ring in a desperate attempt to buy time, before dragging himself into the ring. Konnan follows in a few seconds, only to receive a side kick to the throat for his troubles. Struggling for air, Konnan is then the unwilling participant in a running bull dog that slams his head into the ground. Comatose in the middle of the ring, Konnan is in no shape to avoid a big splash from the apron over the top rope by Crowbar that is followed by The Mindbender (Sitout inverted suplex slam) to get the 3 count. Crowbar is now the first man to pass the first round of the WCW Television Championship Tournament!

Winner via Pinfall: Crowbar

We cut to backstage, where Eddie Guerrero is standing with Pamela Paulshock.

Paulshock: Eddie, last week on Thunder, you beat Dean Malenko to move on in the United States Heavyweight Championship tournament. However, you used a chair and the distraction at ringside to accomplish it. What do you have to say for yourself?

Guerrero: What do I have to say for myself? I think I have to say, Chavo was right.

*boos*

Guerrero: No, no. For those in the bleachers, listen. He’s right. Lie, Cheat, Steal. You need to do whatever you can to get ahead in WCW now that the parasites are gone. Chavo is taking to it in the ring, but you know what, chica? There’s no reason I can’t take it a little further than that. Next week, I face Sc0tt Steiner to decide the final two at SuperBrawl. Scott, consider this your notice. I ain’t losing next week, and to Booker T and Shane Douglas, I ain’t losing at SuperBrawl.

Match #3
Chris Kanyon vs. Stevie Ray

A fine Rasslin match between the two veterans that went from technical to brawling as the match went on. Stevie Ray dominated early on before Chris Kanyon regained momentum to attempt several submission holds before he would pick up the win, getting the 1, 2, 3. Chris Kanyon is the second man to pass the first round of the WCW Television Championship Tournament!

Winner via Pinfall: Chris Kanyon

Tenay: So far, we’ve seen Crowbar and Chris Kanyon pass through the first round of the Television Championship tournament. This week on Thunder, there is still the last third of the tournament, where Hugh Morrus will go head to head with Juventad Guerrera. Following that, there will be a 3-way match next week on Nitro to decide the first WCW World Television Championship of the new year.

Schiavone: But that will have to wait, as next up Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg go head to head with Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko!

Heenan: Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg are two of the finest cruiserweights in the division today, but between Malenko and Saturn, they’ve held 3 tag team championships in WCW. It’s a tossup as to who will win in my opinion.

Match #4
Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg vs. Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko w/Asya

Perry Saturn and Blitzkrieg start off this match, with Perry manhandling Blitzkrieg backwards all the way into a neutral corner. Once he has him there, Saturn starts hitting the elbow into Blitzkrieg’s face as the referee starts counting. An Irish whip across the ring into the opposing neutral corner. A body splash by Saturn is prevented by a kick to the face from Blitzkrieg, and followed up by a hurricane that sends Saturn to the mat. Blitzkrieg has to dodge a charge from the incoming Malenko, and repays him by a kick to the mid-section that is followed up by getting on top of Malenko, who is struggling to get Blitzkrieg off him-

OH MY GOD! Clothesline from Saturn off the top rope brings down Blitzkrieg and Malenko gets back to the corner. Blitzkrieg is down, and Saturn uses the free time to bump into Super Dragon off the top rope. Super Dragon wants to get in there, but Dragon’s held back by the referee. Saturn tags in Malenko, who proceeds to kick the hell out of Blitzkrieg before getting him in between the second and third ropes as he tags in Saturn again. Saturn goes to the corner-top and leaps to drop his rear end on Blitzkrieg’s upper body. An attempted pin gets one as Blitzkrieg gets his foot on the ropes. A second rear-end drop misses as Blitzkrieg rolls out to the center of the ring, leaving Saturn in pain on the mat. Blitzkrieg dodges Malenko’s splash to get across the ring and tag in Super Dragon.

Super Dragon starts his entrance off with a drop-kick to Saturn and then another to Malenko. A stubborn Saturn who is rising again gets a face buster and with a follow-up of a bulldog off the second ropes into Malenko, who rolls out of the ring. Saturn, still the legal man gets a Dragon Driver (a Gory special flipped forward into a piledriver). Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg then executed twin big splashes across the ring onto Saturn, with Blitzkrieg unfortunately taking the worst of it. An attempted pin by Super Dragon sees a breakup from Malenko, who throws Blitzkrieg over the ropes and follows up by whipping Dragon into his corner, and following up with a Lariat off the ropes into a bouncing back Super Dragon. A pin only gets a two count as Super Dragon pushes off, and we go to commercial.

We return from commercial to see Saturn and Super Dragon in the ring, with Super Dragon whipped across the ring into the ropes and bouncing back into a suplex that throws him outside the ring, straight over the top rope as the commentating team go crazy. They go even crazier when an attempted powerbomb by Saturn turns into a modified DDT by Dragon (cleverly dubbed by Schiavone as a Dragon DDT). Both men are out for the count, and as the referee begins his ten count, they begin to crawl to their own corners. Malenko and Blitzkrieg are on the ropes, eagerly anticipating a tag…

And in come Super Dragon and Perry Saturn! Dragon spring boards off the top rope and into Saturn, who whips him into the ropes. Springboard turned into moonsault drops Dragon right on top of Saturn’s shoulder, and an attempted pile-driver sees Saturn fly to a neutral ring corner via drop kick. A spin wheel kick that Blitzkrieg performs onto Malenko as he leaps over Super Dragon’s baseball slide into Saturn drives the fans crazy. Super Dragon and Malenko pick up their respective opponents to perform twin spinout power-bombs to pick up the now-academic pin.

Winners via Pinfall: Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg

Schiavone: Wow, what a matchup between The Revolution and the teaming of Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg.

Heenan: Like I said before the match started, Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg were the clear winners in this matchup-

Tenay: No you didn’t! If I recall correctly, you said it was a toss-up!

Hennan: Mike, are you calling me a liar?

Tenay: Yes, yes I am!

Heenan: Well, I never! I’ll be talking with Commissioner Funk after this.

Schiavone: Well, while my co-workers bicker, we will anticipate the upcoming match between “The Made Man” Johnny Stamboli and one half of the WCW World Tag Team Champion, “The Dark Angel” Vampiro!

We cut to backstage, where Tony Marinara is hyping his “soldier”, Johnny Stamboli as he and the Mamalukes walk to the ring.

Marinara: You’re gonna go out there, you’re gonna kick him, you’re gonna punch him, you’re gonna do him in right. Let the world know that no one does wrong by the Marinara family!

Match #5
Vampiro
vs. Johnny Stamboli w/ Tony Marinara and Big Vito

With the Mamalukes in the ring, the other participant of the match arrives. One-half of the WCW World Tag Team Champions, the Dark Angel, Vampiro, who gets the biggest pop of the night thus far as he makes his way to the ring. The announce team of course commentate on the no-showing of Norman Smiley at his partner’s side, and what effects it might on the match come SuperBrawl.

Finally the match begins, and Johnny the Bull makes an obvious charge at Vampiro, who leaps over him and bounces off the ropes, nailing a spin wheel side-kick right onto the skull of Johnny Stamboli. Both men get to their feet, though in Johnny’s case it more of a stumble into a corner as his “family” watches on worriedly. Johnny takes a chop to the chest, drawing woos from the Oklahoma crowd, which is then followed up by a spin kick. Vampiro attempts to Irish whip Stamboli into the opposing corner, but Stamboli reverses it, and attempts to follow up with a jawbreaker that Vampiro breaks out of and pays back with a chokeslam.

Vampiro poses for a few moments over the body of Stamboli as Vito shouts at him to get back up before he gets back into the match. Going up to a corner to perform a twisting moonsault, he misses as the Mamaluke rolls out the way, leaving the Dark Angel to hit the mat. Johnny quickly recovers from Vampiro’s previous assault and drags him to a corner to let loose with kicks to the mid-section and sternum of Vampiro before throwing him out the ring to his Mamaluke associates. While Big Vito and Tony start handing out an old-school mafia beating, Johnny begins arguing with the referee to buy time, and it doesn’t look like the Mamalukes are letting up any time soon-

Norman Smiley! Norman Smiley over the barricade with an empty trashcan over the head of Tony Marinara! A kendo stick to the back of Big Vito takes him out of the Vampiro beating, as the Dark Angel himself re-enters the fight by drop-kicking the trash-can wearing Marinara onto the floor, forcing him to roll around as the referee finally turns around and sees what happening. He calls for Doug Dillinger and his security team, who quickly escort two-thirds of the Mamalukes and Norman Smiley to the back.

Meanwhile in the ring, Stamboli turns Vampiro inside out with a hard clothesline to a large amount of heat. What follows is a series of false kicks as both Vampiro and Stamboli attempt as they bounce from ropes. Stamboli eventually ends this series of failing running kicks with a swinging neck-breaker that only gets him a two-count. Stamboli gives him a Russian legsweep, but that only gets another two count. Clearly frustrated with his failed pins and the “Stamboli sucks” chants not really helping, Stamboli goes to the top rope for a Randy Savage-style elbow drop, but Vampiro rolls out of the way, leaping onto the top rope of his closest corner to perform a blind moonsault that still takes out an injured Stamboli. Followed up with a running bulldog, then a standing side-kick, Stamboli is nearly kicked out of the ring after such impact, and upon shakily standing up, falls to the Nail in the Coffin.

Winner via Pinfall: Vampiro

The last Nitro viewers see of Vampiro is him towering over Johnny Stamboli, laughing as Nitro once again goes to commercial.

We come back from commercial to see Booker T sitting before a camera.

Booker T: You know, after our parents died, Stevie Ray looked after me. He wasn’t that much older, but he always looked after me, always put me first. Whenever I got into a fight, he’d pull me out of it. Whenever my grades started to slip because I was struggling, he’d help me. Because that’s what a big brother does.

Well I’m not a kid anymore. Stevie Ray don’t have to look after me anymore, but he still does. Why? Because he’s my brother. Because we’re blood, family. And as much as he wants to look after me, it is my time to start paying it back. Tonight, I go head to head with Shane Douglas in a tournament that gives you, the fans and this promotion, the next WCW United States Heavyweight Champion. It might be me. It might be Scott Steiner. It might be Eddie Guerrero. But tonight, I will make sure it won’t be Shane Douglas.

*Booker T’s fists clench*

If you weren’t watching Thunder last week, here’s a summary of what was agreed: If I lose tonight against Shane Douglas, I will join The Revolution. But if I win, I will have just bought immunity from the devil himself. Because you see Shane Douglas, I don’t buy into what you’re preaching. None of us in the locker-room do, really. You’re just a cult leader like Sullivan was, like Raven was. And like all cult leaders, when you find someone outside of your little circle who won’t back down, you make it physical. But I’m not backing down, Shane. Tonight, you will lose again, and I will walk away.

And we return to ringside.

Schiavone: Wow. Just an emotional speech right there from Booker T.

Heenan: Indeed.

Tenay: Shane Douglas, you are in the fight of your life tonight.

Match #6
Booker T
vs. Shane Douglas w/Asya

Booker T makes his way to the ring all the while as Shane Douglas argues with a fan at ringside from the apron. Booker T moves to start the match, but Douglas sitting on the second rope forces referee Charles Robinson to push Booker back as Shane gets into the ring. Shane asks Robinson to check T’s boots for hidden weapons, which Lil’ Naitch reluctantly does. Taking the frisking with a stoic face, Booker T responds by gathering the fans as he claps time after time. The fans clapping grows and grows as Booker T smiles and points to the fans as he looks to Shane Douglas. Douglas merely smirks as they both take their measure of the other man.

Booker corners Douglas, but Shane quickly reacts by grabbing the ropes, which forces Robinson to intervene once again. Booker T calmly backs off, and he and Shane Douglas engage in a show of strength in the center of the ring. Booker switches to a headlock as he shouts to the fans. He switches to a wristlock for a few moments before returning to a headlock, which he transitions into a running bulldog that fails when Douglas pushes Booker T to the ropes. Not to be dettered, the 5-time WCW World Television Champion uses the ropes as extra push behind his bounce as he shoulder tackles Douglas, who goes down to the mat, and Booker T plays to the crowd. By that time, Douglas gets back to his feet and the two lock-up which Douglas side-steps by kneeing Booker in the gut and then dropping an elbow on his back. Taking him to a corner, Douglas slams his head on a ring corner top, which leaves Booker T stumbling as Douglas taunts him.

Douglas whips him across the ring into the opposing corner in preparation for a running Lariat that Booker avoids with a Big Boot to the face of Douglas. Stumbling, Douglas takes a standing spin kick to the chest and stumbles into another instead which has him grab onto the ropes for leverage. Douglas forces himself and turns around, only to eat a chop from Booker T. Booker T gives a Whooo that is reciprocated by the fans when he gives Douglas a second chop. A whip across the opposing ropes fails when Douglas reverses and follows up by taking Booker T over the ropes. Douglas gets on the apron to do a splash on Booker T, but Booker takes a step back to avoid it as Douglas himself attempts to avoid the barricade. And now Booker and Douglas are brawling at ringside in front of the fans, with Booker largely throwing the punches. Booker T tries to whip him into the barricades, but once again Douglas reverses and does it to Booker T. An attempt to get up and charge Douglas sees a Lariat, with Douglas then breaking the ten count by entering the ring and exiting. Dropping Booker T on the steel barricade with a quick Military Press, and finally the two wrestlers return to the ring as Douglas throws in his opponent under the bottom rope, himself swiftly joining him. Douglas goes to the top rope as the fans chant “Douglas sucks”, his flying clothesline fails when Booker T executes a snap powerslam on him that has the fans cheering. Booker T tries for a pin and only gets a two count. Booker T goes for a neck hold that has Douglas wincing in pain, but Douglas manages to get to his feet and break the hold to the boos of the crowd. Booker T executes a neckbreaker on Douglas that brings him to the ground, following it up by a vicious inverted neckbreaker that has the announce team wincing in sympathy.

The Revolution! Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn are running down to ringside! Stevie Ray! Stevie Ray is right after them, baseball bat in hand. Stevie Ray and Asya/Saturn/Malenko are having it out at ringside, Booker T is joining his brother, Stevie Ray is telling Booker to get into the ring! Wait, what’s this-
Suplex! Suplex onto the apron! Stevie Ray just suplexed Saturn onto the apron! Booker T is back in the ring! Bicycle Kick to the jaw of the recovering Shane Douglas! 1 … 2… No! Dean Malenko pulled Douglas out! Booker T just pulled Malenko into the ring! Spinebuster! Spinebuster! Booker T is turning around to finish off Douglas! Oh my god, DDT! DDT! Shane Douglas just DDT’d Booker T!

1 … 2 … no!

Booker T has not been pinned! What will it take to bring this man down! Stevie Ray is on the apron, he’s distracting Shane Douglas! Shane Douglas just attacked Stevie Ray! Oh my god, Booker T just did the Spinarooni! Headbutt to Douglas! Spinebuster to Douglas! Douglas is getting up-

Scissors kick! Scissors kick!

1 … 2 … 3!

Booker T has defeated Shane Douglas! Booker T is the first man to pass the second round of the WCW United States Heavyweight Championship tournament! More than that, Booker T has just won immunity for Harlem Heat from The Revolution!

Winner via Pinfall: Booker T
As Booker T and Stevie Ray head to the back, just as joyous as they were last week on Nitro, Douglas harangues The Revolution for their actions. There is clearly a hint of tension between the foursome before they retire to the back.

David Penzer: Ladies and Gentlemen, at this time, I would like to introduce to you, in his first reign, your WCW World Heavyweight Champion, “The Rabid Wolverine”, “The Canadian Crippler”, Chris Benoit!

Chris exits to a massive series of cheers as the Oklahoma fans show the champ what they think of him. A chant of “Crippler!” keeps getting repeated as Benoit makes his way down to the ring, slapping hands with the fans at ringside before entering the ring.

Benoit: Now tonight, you fans in Tulsa, Oklahoma were going to get a special main event. I was going to go head to head with “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair!

Pop

Benoit: But unfortunately, Ric had a family engagement tonight, and couldn’t make it. He apologizes to you all, and you have my word, the next time we’re in town, you will see Ric Flair versus Chris Benoit for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

Pop

Benoit: So tonight, I find myself without an opponent. And to be honest, I find that inexcusable! I am a fighting champion! I expect, no I demand a fight for what is the grandest belt in the history of this sport! So tonight, I extend an open challenge to the members of the WCW locker-room. You think you’ve got the stuff? Then get in this ring, right now!

Huge pop right here for the champ

The fans wait for a few moments before the challenger comes out, one AJ Styles, a recent rookie signing. The fans give him a somewhat decent applause as does the champ, before Lex Luger runs out and assaults AJ Styles, with Ms. Elizabeth not too far behind. Ramming him into the barricades and knocking him out, Lex Luger continues his movement into the ring, in his hand a microphone handed to him by Ms. Elizabeth.

Luger: How dare you!?!? Who do you think you are, just throwing out open challenges to goddamn jabronies from Hicksville, Georgia! I’m a two-time World Heavyweight Champion! Hell, Shane Douglas has been a World Champion! And instead of challenging us, us real wrestlers, you’re throwing out open challenges to rookies? What, you think that makes you a man, Chris? It don’t mean shit!

Benoit: So what? You think just because you held the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, means that you can just run roughshod over the promotion’s rookies? Last time you held this title, you held it for five days Luger! Five days! Fuck that! Why should I give you a shot right now or any other time?

Luger: How about out of respect for the Horsemen legacy, the greatest collection of wrestlers to exist in the WCW? Look at the names the Horsemen have within their history: Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson, Barry Windham, Lex Luger, Dean Malenko, Jeff Jarrett, Steve McMichael, Paul Roma, and Sting.

Unless you face and beat Horsemen, then this little reign of your is nothing more than a farce. Because in WCW, the Horsemen have and always will be the cream of the crop, the elite, the standard of excellence, the glass ceiling between the best of best and the rest. So what’s it gonna be, Chris? Are you going to step up? Or are you gonna duck “The Total Package” Lex Luger, the man who’s been a Horseman longer than you have, and has been a damn better one!

Benoit: … Get your ass in this ring, Luger. Penzer, ring the goddamn bell.

Match #7
Chris Benoit (c) vs. Lex Luger w/Ms. Elizabeth for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship

Lex Luger takes immediately to the champ with a low-blow as a referee rushes to the ring, and following it up with a hard right that sends Chris backwards onto the ropes. Lex tries to put Benoit in the Torture Rack, but Benoit gets out before its locked in. Struggling to get to his feet, the champ hits a forearm to the face of Lex Luger to buy time. It succeeds and Benoit gets to his feet as the crowd cheers, his eyes full of murder.

The two men begin throwing blows in the middle of the ring, neither man backing down before Benoit transitions into a jawbreaker that takes Luger down to the mat. Always one to take advantage, Benoit locks on the Crippler Crossface. Luger’s tapping, but the referee doesn’t see it because Ms. Elizabeth is on the ropes distracting him.

Luger realizes somehow that the referee isn’t looking and forces his way to the ropes just in time for the referee to turn back and see it, giving Benoit a 5 count to let go. Benoit accedes, leaving Luger a parting gift of a kick to the back.

Luger uses the ropes to get back on his feet, only to eat a Lariat from Benoit that takes him over the top rope. The champ is more than ready to go down over the top rope after before Ms. Elizabeth covers Luger’s body with her own. The referee pulls back Benoit as we go to commercial.

We come back from commercial to see Luger getting slammed into the mat by Benoit with a Wild Bomb, before getting transitioned into a Sharpshooter. The Sharpshooter fails when Ms. Elizabeth pulls Luger to the ropes to get himself a 5 count. And the frustration is clearly starting to build inside Chris Benoit as Luger keeps getting away from him.

Wait, what’s Benoit doing? He’s dragging Luger from the ropes, right to the center of the ring! OH MAI GAWD! CRIPPLER CROSSFACE! BENOIT HAS LUGER IN THE CRIPPLER CROSSFACE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RING!

SELF HIGH FIVE

DDP! DDP! DDP IS RUNNING DOWN TO THE RING! HE IS ATTACKING CHRIS BENOIT! DOUG DILLINGER, GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE! WHERE IS WCW SECURITY??!?! BENOIT AND PAGE ARE GOING AT IT IN THE RING! LUGER IS JOINING IN! IT’S A TWO ON ONE ASSAULT, WHERE IN GOD’S NAME IS DOUG DILLINGER AND THE SECURITY DETAIL!?!?! HERE THEY COME, THANK GOD!

Winner via Disqualification: Chris Benoit

And as the three men do battle in the ring, WCW Security finally get their asses to the ring and pull apart the three men, with Schiavone, Heenan and Tenay telling the fans to tune in on Thunder to find out what the hell is going on!

--

Excerpt from PWTorch article
This is a follow up on today’s shocking announcement that WCW has chosen Stampede Wrestling as its new developmental territory. Though most wrestling insiders and experts expected NWA Wildside to become the new developmental territory of WCW based on previous wrestler sent there and the close proximity of the two Georgia-based promotions, WCW stunned the North American wrestling industry in its agreement for Stampede Wrestling. Furthermore, World Championship Wrestling has solidified its interests with the Hart Family by investing in Stampede Wrestling itself, buying 25% of the stock from Bruce and Ross Hart, and promising significant interest and time spent in securing it a television spot as it gets underway.

Why not a promotion in Florida or Texas, many asked, if they were insistent on having one outside of Georgia? Why go outside the United States at all, which is the primary base of the Deep-South based promotion. Why invest so much in a dead federation that hasn’t been spoken of in modern wrestling circles much, if at all?

Why? Long term investment. PWTorch has learned from WCW insiders that the agreement between WCW and Stampede Wrestling was done to capitalize on the Hart family’s general fame and celebrity status among wrestling fans in Canada, many of whom despise the WWF and Shawn Michaels for their role in the infamous Montreal Screwjob, where Bret Hart was unfairly pinned of his WWF Championship by Vince McMahon, owner of World Wrestling Federation.

Running a developmental territory and promoting it as well as WCW in conjunction with the Hart family would allow significant in-roads into Canada in terms of PPV buys and a profitable house-show market, a solid base not likely to be successfully targeted by the WWF and would be much easier than any expansion into Britain or Europe in general, where different languages, time-zones and television networks would continually threaten any major expansion.

While members of the Hart family as well as WCW officials have both declined to comment any further on the deal than what positives it would give for the wrestling industry in Canada, many wrestlers and personalities have commented on the deal.

Among the most notable, Lance Storm, a talent in Extreme Championship Wrestling who started out in the Hart Dungeon had this to say: “That’s good news. One of things about those of us who came from the (Hart) Dungeon was the most of us had to work outside Canada to get steady jobs. I got my first regular job working for Jim Cornette in Smokey Mountain Wrestling working with Chris (Jericho) as a tag team, and a lot of us spent time working in Japan before coming back to the US to work with WCW. Having a major regional promotion up north where rookies can hone their craft is something that benefits the wrestling industry and the promoters as much as it does the young wrestlers themselves."

Lol. I'm loving this so far. I'm invested into this enough that I was actually worried Booker T was going to lose his match and have to join the Revolution. Keep up the good work.

Thunder

09/02/2000

Los Fabulosos versus The Revolution (Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko)
The Revolution is fresh off of a defeat to Super Dragon and Blitzkrieg, rookie cruiserweight wrestlers and good friends, and look to redeem their loss in this opening match against Los Fabulosos. Los Fabulosos in turn are looking to achieve a credible win that might put them in tag team title contention.

Hugh Morrus versus Juventad Guerrera
“The Laughing Man” Hugh Morrus goes head to head with the Lucha sensation, Juventad Guerrera in this final third of the WCW World Television Championship tournament, with the winner joining the devious Crowbar and Chris Kanyon in a Triple Threat match at next week's for the WCW World Television Championship. Will the maniacal Morrus win, or will Juventad get his first possible shot at gold outside the cruiserweight division?

Team Canada versus Backseat Boyz
Team Canada is set to make their on-screen debut as they take on the rookie duo of Trent Acid and Johnny Kashmere, who are also looking to establish themselves as they set their sights to achieve tag team gold. Who will win in this battle of old guard versus the new blood?

Chavo Guerrero versus Lash LeRoux
Chavo Guerrero has been dominant in these coming weeks, running roughshod over much of the cruiserweight division in his quest to face La Parka at Super Brawl. Now, he faces Lash LeRoux in single competition after an exciting Lucha Six-Man tag team match on Nitro to further cement his title chase after La Parka’s cruiserweight championship. Lash LeRoux in turn would gain much credit for stopping the rising star of Chavo Guerrero, even temporarily, and might in turn file for a title shot against La Parka.

Harlem Heat versus the Haas Brothers
While Booker T and Stevie Ray have each turned their sights to singles competition, they have decided to team up once again to face the Haas Brothers, a new rookie tag team that have been praised as highly innovative and remnicisent of Harlem Heat’s greatest foes, the Steiner Brothers. With the possibility of Shane Douglas breaking the promise he made to Booker T on behalf of Revolution exists, it could hold a cloud over the reunited brother’s tag team endevour, allowing the Haas Brothers to pick up a valuable win over a veteran tag team.

Diamond Dallas Page versus ???
As punishment for DDP’s intervention in the main event of Nitro, Terry Funk has set up a match between the People’s Champ and a mystery opponent, to teach him a lesson. Who is this mystery opponent and will DDP manage to overcome this challenge and continue to plead his case against Chris Benoit?

==

Quick-look card:

Matches
Los Fabulosos versus the Revolution
Hugh Morrus versus Juventad Guerrera
Team Canada versus Backseat Boyz
Chavo Guerrero versus Lash LeRoux
Harlem Heat versus the the Haas Brothers
Diamond Dallas Page versus ???

--
@El_Rey_del_Martinete: Well, its good to know I'm having an effect on the readers. You like anything else besides the Booker T angle?

Also enjoying the push you gave La Parka, was a huge fan of his since his days in AAA.

I'd like maybe to see the Vampiro & Smiley angle to get expanded on, I feel it has pretty good potential(well depends how you view the team. I see it as a sort of like a Santino & Koslov typer team.)

Never was a huge fan of Benoit so I'm kind of indifferent towards his title run other than I can't wait until he drops the belt.

Also enjoying the push you gave La Parka, was a huge fan of his since his days in AAA.
Yeah, I'm a fan of La Parka too. His gimmick with the chair and his funny dances plus his lucha skills won me over.

I'd like maybe to see the Vampiro & Smiley angle to get expanded on, I feel it has pretty good potential(well depends how you view the team. I see it as a sort of like a Santino & Koslov typer team.)
While I do have long-term plans for Vampiro specifically, they're generally very fluid and can take a while as I focus on this unique tag team. Grunge rocker Vampiro and Scream'n Norman Smiley is definitly going to be a mix of serious and comedy. :lmao:

Never was a huge fan of Benoit so I'm kind of indifferent towards his title run other than I can't wait until he drops the belt.
We'll see about that...

Also, feel free to make your guesses from the Hype card. Its a tradition done on another board I frequent to allow for interaction with the readers as they make their guesses. :)

PWTorch article:

PWTorch has just learned that WCW management have come to terms with two wrestlers on AOL Time Warner contracts and resigned them on 1-year contracts. Who these two wrestlers are as of yet is unknown to us, but they are both reputed to be major members of the Hulkamania era in the WWF and well respected veteran members of the lockeroom. From the Thunder match listing, one of them is likely to make his return tonight against Diamond Dallas Page.

WCW Thunder
February 9th, 2000

Tonight’s edition of Thunder comes to you live from Oklahoma City, OK.

A promo clip opens up this edition of Thunder, going through the events of the preceding Nitros and Thunders, as well as Souled Out. Especially noted are Benoit’s consecutive victories over Sid Vicious and Diamond Dallas Page, the latter’s attack on Benoit in his match with Luger and Booker T’s victory over Shane Douglas.

Tenay: Fans, welcome to yet another exiting edition of WCW Wednesday Night Thunder! I am “The Professor” Mike Tenay and with me at ringside is Scott Hudson and Tony Schiavone! And guys, I don’t know about you, but I was shocked at DDP’s action in the final match on Nitro, when he interjected himself in what was a championship match between “The Total Package” Lex Luger and Chris Benoit to assault our WCW World Heavyweight Champion! Now, Terry Funk is set to come down to the ring in a few moments to address the issue, but what are your thoughts on the matter?

Schiavone: Well to be honest, I’m not that surprised. It is not exactly a secret that DDP has developed issues with Benoit over the World Heavyweight Championship, feeling that he isn’t deserving of it for the personal issues that occurred between him and Kevin Sullivan, claiming that someone like that isn’t deserving of being WCW World Heavyweight Champion. I was more surprised that Luger came out and made the challenge in fact, rather than Page.

Hudson: Well, I think part of that was because Page might have been waiting on Funk giving him news on whether or not he would be granted no.1 contender status after his defeat of Ric Flair last week on Thunder. Now while that was a tainted victory, it is still a very big victory for anyone trying to challenge the champ, especially since Ric Flair has a standing match with Benoit any time he chooses, and is a 6 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion, a 2 time WCW International World Heavyweight Champion, 3-time NWA World Heavyweight Champion, the list just goes on and on. You win a match with a legend of this business like Flair; you’ve automatically won yourself some serious credibility.

Tenay: Well, you’ve got a point there- I see Terry Funk is coming down the ring, ladies and gentlemen!

Terry Funk is indeed making his way to the ring, a somber look on his face as the WCW Commissioner goes under the third rope.

Funk: I’m a busy man, so Page, you better get your ass out here right now.

SELF HIGH FIVE

The two time WCW World Champion comes out sullenly in street clothes, as if he does not wish to appear before the WCW fans, who are booing him with everything they’ve got. Entering under the third rope as Funk did before him, the People’s Champ folds his arms across his chest as he awaits to hear what Funk has to say.

Funk: What the hell is wrong with you? I’ve already chewed out Luger for his attack on AJ Styles before his match with Benoit, and he’s been banned from challenging or contending for any WCW title until June. You tell me why I shouldn’t do the same to you, damnit!

It is here that Page’s eyes light up.

Page: You promised me, goddamnit! You said I’d get the no.1 slot against Benoit if I beat Flair, and I beat him!

Funk: I said I’d think about it and nothing more, and hell, it wasn’t like you beat him cleanly.

Page: Beat him cleanly? Beat the Dirtiest Player in the Game cleanly? Hell, I should be getting the shot against Benoit based on the fact that I out-cheated Ric Flair of all people! Besides, Benoit has been ducking me whenever I’ve issued the challenge, so he got what was coming to him at –

Benoit’s new entrance song RADICAL fills the arena, as the WCW World Heavyweight Champion makes his way to the ring with his championship around his belt. The Rabid Wolverine enters the ring, his eyes never leaving his attacker this Monday on Nitro, Diamond Dallas Page.

Page: What, you still pissed about Monday? Get over it-

Benoit: You know what this belt says about me?

Page: Wha-

Benoit: It says that I’m the WCW World Heavyweight Champion! I'd say that makes me the man in this company, and if you don't like it, come Sunday, the 20th of February, you get a chance to prove me wrong! Terry, I want you to ink a match for Super Brawl.

Funk: Chris, I don’t think you’re thinking clearly-

Benoit: Terry, with all due respect, I don’t give a damn about what you think. You are going to ink the match for Super Brawl. Chris Benoit will defend his WCW World Heavyweight Championship against Diamond Dallas Page, the man who tapped out on live television.

Here Page is clearly fuming over the reminder as the crowd jeers, which allows Funk to step in one more time.

Funk: All right, Chris, I’ll ink the match. But you mouth off to me one more time like that and champion or not, I’ll beat the hell out of you myself. Chris, you’ve got no match tonight on Thunder, so you’re than welcome to stick around or leave early if you want. But as for you, Page, you’ve got a match tonight against a talented individual who has just agreed to a contract with WCW, and it’s going to be the main event!

The crowd pops as Page moves to leave, faking a punch at Benoit, who to his credit, doesn’t even flinch at the taunt, instead unbuckling and raising his championship high as the crowd pops in response. Page just smirks back at that as he drops to ringside and makes his way backstage.

Funk: You sure about this?

Benoit: Not really. But I’m sick of watching my back.

--
Match #1
“The Laughing Man” Hugh Morrus versus Juventud Guerrera in a WCW World Television Championship qualifier match

Well, if the fans expected straight up Rasslin, or a pure lucha match, then they sure as hell didn’t get it. What was an odd synergy of brawling and high-flying emerged, with Juventud Guerrera launching hellishly quick hit and runs on the bigger man in Hugh Morrus, especially targeting his knees to level the big man. Hugh Morrus in turn tried to send Guerrera to the hospital, targeting him with improvised powerbombs and suplexes to damaged his back every time Guerrera attempted a high-risk move, forcing him to the ground, where as always, he simply battered the man.

In the end, Guerrera’s repeated high-risk maneuvers did not succeed, as a rapid-draw suplex from Morrus followed up by a school-boy roll up got him the pin for the 1,2,3 , making him the third man in the WCW World Television Championship Triple Threat Match next week on Nitro.

Winner via Pinfall: “The Laughing Man” Hugh Morrus​

--
Tenay: An outstanding performance from Hugh Morrus as he gains a rightfully deserved victory, though I think I speak for many of the fans when I say that Juventud would have been a great contender for the World Television Championship.

Schiavone: No doubt about it, Mike, and you would know considering how much of Guerrera’s career you’ve been privy to over the past few years.

Hudson: Truly one of the better talents to come out of Mexico and I think- Oh, wait. I’m afraid we’re going to have to cut this short since Pamela has Chris Kanyon backstage ready for an interview.

Backstage, Pamela Paulshock is standing with both “Champagne” Chris Kanyon and his girls Baby and Chameleon. His manager, J.J Biggs is nowhere to be seen.

Paulshock: Well, Chris, we’ve just seen Hugh Morrus qualify as the third member of your Triple Threat match next week on Nitro for the WCW World Television Championship. Your thoughts?

Kanyon: My thoughts? Well, my thoughts are that they might as well hand me the championship now. I’m a two-time, two-time tag team champion. I’ve been a contender for the WCW United States Championship. Crowbar’s a one-time tag team champion, and in his deranged mind, he practically gave up that championship reign at Souled Out. Hugh Morrus? Has never won a championship in the big-time. I’m a sane man being put up against two nut-jobs with wrestling careers shorter than my time in the big-time, Pamela! At least Juventud or Konnan were established wrestlers, men who have held championships and deserve a shot! I But Crowbar and Morrus? don’t know what Terry Funk was thinking-

And as the camera turns to the right past Pamela, we see the reason why Kanyon has stopped speaking. For behind Pamela are Crowbar and his valet, Daffney.

Crowbar: Kanyon, Kanyon, Kanyon. Death, Crowbar and the Laughing Man go head to head next week. Who’s gonna win, Kanyon? Who’s gonna win? Is Death going to conquer? Will the Laughing Man succeed? Or will Crowbar achieve victory? All I know is, it’s going to be a glacial wait for next week’s Nitro.

And with that, Crowbar and Daffney leave, leaving behind them a disturbed Kanyon, Pamela, Baby and Chameleon.

Kanyon: What. The. Fuck. And then Thunder goes on break.

--

As we return from break, we see a flustered Pamela Paulshock standing by with Ric Flair.

Flair: You sure you’re all right, Pamela? I know Crowbar can get in people’s head. Lord knows he got into David’s well enough.

Paulshock: I’m fine, Ric. But thank you. Now, you told me earlier that you wanted to address The Revolution. About what?

Flair: Could you hand me the microphone? Thank you. Now then…

WOOOOO! The Naitcha Boy is here tonight in Oklahoma City, styling and profiling like only the Naitcha Boy can! And tonight, I wanna address The Revolution, and in particular, I wanna address that arrogant son of a bitch Shane Douglas! WOO!

Douglas, who the hell do you think you are? Last week on Nitro, you attacked a fellow Horseman, our World Champion Chris Benoit after his match with Diamond Dallas Page. You attacked me as well. And Douglas, that don’t fly with me. I’ve been dealing with some family matters for the past few days, but I definitely managed to have a word with Terry Funk about you. So, if you’ve got the balls, I’ll see you at Super Brawl! WOOO! Let’s see if you’ve got the balls, ya coward!

--
Tenay: Wow. Strong words from Ric Flair, the 14 time World Heavyweight Champion to Shane Douglas, leader of the Revolution. Wonder if he’ll agree to it.

Schiavone: Well, if he does, then we’ll find out next, as Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn take on Los Fabulosos!

--
Match #2
Los Fabulosos versus The Revolution (Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn)

In what is a straight heel tag-team versus heel tag-team, the sexiest men in all of Latin America go head to head with the tag-team tandem of Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn, representing The Revolution. Speaking realistically, the recent losses of The Revolution coupled with Shane Douglas at ring-side meant that both Malenko and Saturn were fired up and quite intense in comparison to their opponents, who initially did not take them seriously. After a complete annihilation of Silver King and a forcible tag to El Dandy made, Los Fabulosos began to slowly regain momentum as Dandy matched move for move with Saturn, before he tagged in his partner Dean Malenko, whose technical wrestling skills slowly ground down both lucha opponents enough for Saturn’s notorious brawling to come into play and hurt both men enough for the 1, 2, 3 cleanly.

Winners via Pinfall: Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn​

Tenay: The first convincing tag-team victory for The Revolution has had since the new regime has begun, and over two luchadore veterans from Mexico no less! This might go a long way as The Revolution re-focus their aim after two spectacular failures in handling the Filthy Animals and Harlem Heat-

Douglas: Tenay, if you know what’s good for you you’ll shut up.

Hudson: … I’d listen to the man, Mike.

Douglas: Well, now that the announce team’s quiet, I’ve got a few things to say. First off, good going, Dean, Perry. Once again, you have proven that when it comes to the standard of excellence , it is solely in Revolution that that is found. Two, Booker T and Stevie Ray.

And a pop from the crowd for Booker T.

Douglas: I’m an honest man, Booker T. Despite what you, and those cowards in the back think, I’m not one to break an agreement honestly made. Despite the way our match went down, you did in fact pin me. So I’m sticking to the agreement. Harlem Heat has immunity from the Revolution.

A small murmur of conversation permeates across the crowds.

Douglas: But don’t any of you jabronies think that this is over! The Revolution is unyielding, unceasing and we will liberate World Championship Wrestling from the hold of corruption, of main-event guaranteed positions and the fattest pay-checks for the fewest matches wrestled! To the young talent in the back, I say this again: We will strike a blow in our war to rise above. Are you ready for a Revolution? If not, then you’re just another puppet.

Now, as for the challenge made by Ric Flair… Ric Flair, the most overhyped veteran in the sport today…

Heat

Ric Flair, the most arrogant SOB in the sport…

Heat

Ric Flair, the most disgusting human being in this promotion at the time being!

Heat

Ric, you over-paid piece of shit! You think I’ve forgotten our history? You think I’ve forgotten how you screwed me over when I came into WCW all those years ago? Like how you screwed Stevie Williams, Eddie Gilbert, and how you tried to screw Sting!?!?! You’re the reason I spent years in that Philidelphia hell-hole, killing myself in barbed wire matches, table matches, chair matches, morphing a bright-eyed kid from Pennsylvania into a murderous son of a bitch! What I am today is because of you, Ric! You want me at SuperBrawl, you dumb son of a bitch? I’ll see you there! At SuperBrawl, I will cut the largest tumor out of WCW, and finally, The Revolution will move along its destined path to liberation that you and others like you have prevented us from reaching!

And with that, Thunder goes on break.

--
As we come back from the break, we see the veteran duo of Carl Ouellet and Jacques Rogueau (known as Team Canada) enter the ring.

Ouellet: Hello, Oklahoma. You may not know us, but we are Team Canada. We are one of the most well-oiled veteran tag-teams in North America today! We are 3-time Tag Team champions! And while we have been wrestling dark-matches so far in our contract with WCW, we will stay hidden no longer!

Rougeau: As of late, World Championship Wrestling has hired a total of 5 new tag-teams to supplement the tag-team division, ourselves included. However, unlike the rest of them, we are veterans. We are once and future champions. And we will be tag-team champions in WCW, just like we were in the World Wrestling Federation. Therefore, we challenge any tag-team in the back willing to wrestle against us, in a match that will occur right now!

A few moments go by silently before CHASE (by Giorgio Moroder), the music of the rookie team known as the Backseat Boyz hits the arena through the speakers. Team Canada has received its first challenge.

--

Match #3
Team Canada
versus The Backseat Boyz

Due to the arrogance (and perhaps the obvious foreign touch added to Team Canada), The Backseat Boyz receive what little pop and support is invested into this match. Or at least, in the beginning, before the skills of Johnny Kashmere and Trent Acid reveal themselves. Evident even to the fans is the excellent connection between Acid and Kashmere as the two hit a Double team Crucifix Powerbomb on Ouellet in an attempt to gain a quick pin that sadly fails. Though Ouellet quickly recovers and begins outperforming Acid (the legal man for Backseat Boyz), that burst of energy in the beginning of this match up helps identify the Boyz to the fans.

The match varies between technical displays from all four members to almost lucha levels of speed as the Backseat Boyz attempt to amp up the match and force the veteran tag-team to play their game. A powerbomb set up by Kashmere on Rougeau is merged into a bulldog by Acid that forces Ouellet to enter to break up the pin.

Ultimately however, Team Canada gains the victory, when Rougeau slips in a brass-knuckle enhanced punch at the forehead of Acid while the referee was attempting to hold off Kashmere, leaving Ouellet to make the now academic pin.

Winners via Pinfall: Team Canada​

Tenay: Disgusting tactics from Team Canada as they gain the victory over the rookie team of Johnny Kashmere and Trent Acid! Is this how they got those three reigns as tag-team champions up north? By blatant cheating?

Schiavone: Well, if they did, then the effectiveness of it says it all. An excellent effort from the Backseat Boyz on their first showing here on Thunder, despite coming up short against rigged odds.

Hudson: Either way, chalk another one up for Team Canada in the win-loss records. They’re getting the winner’s paycheck, and that’s all that really matters to them, I’d think.

Tenay: I suppose… Anyway, ladies and gentleman, up next, the aggressive Chavo Guerrero goes head to head with one of the more promising cruiserweights, “The Ragin’ Cajun”, Lash LeRoux! And folks, if this is your first time watching Thunder, then here’s a little clip to show you what Chavo Guerrero is all about, as well as his recent struggles with La Parka, our Cruiserweight Champion.

Video #1
“I am Chavo Guerrero.”
Cut to clip of Chavo doing a frog splash.

“And I am tired of staying quiet.”
Cut to clip of Chavo suplexing Blitzkrieg

“In the new millennium, I will dominate the cruiserweight division.”
Cut to clips of Chavo beating cruiserweight after cruiserweight

“I am undefeated. I am dominant.”
Cut to clips of his pins, with voiceovers from the announcers of his undefeated streak

“And that is why La Parka, fears me.”

Cut to clips of Chavo attacking La Parka and other cruiserweights.

“One way or another, I will become champion. I will not be stopped, I will not rest, I will not cease until I am the WCW Cruiserweight Champion.”

--
Match #4
Chavo Guerrero
versus Lash LeRoux

To the surprise of no one, Chavo Guerrero clearly won in this match –up. But what surprised many was the tenacity and stamina of Lash LeRoux, who took it to the self-proclaimed number one contender for the Cruiserweight division on several occasions, even rallying with the crowd’s support in a comeback when he hit a standing side-kick to rattle the skull of Guerrero.

Faced with such intensity from his opponent, Chavo quickly resorted to dirty tricks such as eye-gouging, manipulation of the 5-count on the ropes and countering a baseball slide by pulling Lash LeRoux and throwing him into the barrier. Stunned, Lash LeRoux was in no shape to respond to a 10-count from the referee, giving Chavo the victory.

Winner via Countout:
Chavo Guerrero​

Tenay: Yet another victory for Chavo Guerrero, though this one less clear-cut than his last few.

Schiavone: Still as effective though, like Scott said about Team Canada.

Hudson: And it still stands. He’s getting the winner’s cut of the pay off for that match tonight!

Tenay: But does monetary comp- Oh my god, its La Parka!

And it is indeed La Parka as he hits the ring with his championship around his waist and his trademark chair in hand to nail Guerrero in the face as he turned around to celebrate his victory, with the crowd cheering La Parka on as he put the boots and fists on the cruiserweight from El Paso, Texas. Guerrero eventually recovers long enough to flee from the ring, giving La Parka time to grab a microphone kindly provided by a ring-arena staffer (after doing his customary dance and air guitar with the chair).

La Parka: Chavo … You and me … at Super Brawl!

The crowd cheers as Chavo nods his assent, with La Parka raising his championship in response as Thunder goes on another break.

When we return, we see the announce team hyping up the just made match for Super Brawl.

Tenay: Well, its finally happened. After weeks of challenges and tension, La Parka has accepted the challenge from Chavo Guerrero, and has set it for Super Brawl! Though as I said before, it is distressing to see Chavo on such a dark path, and furthermore seeing his actions rewarded, I am highly anticipating this match between these two already bitter opponents.

Schiavone: Like it or not, Mike, its going to happen, and it will happen at SuperBrawl! Chavo Guerrero versus La Parka for the WCW Cruiserweight Championship!

Hudson: I hate to be the one to move past this big event, this huge moment for the cruiserweight division, this monumental match that is going to be inked for Super Brawl, but-

Tenay: But we do have a show to put on. You’re right Scott.

Schiavone: And in the spirit of moving on, ladies and gentlemen, next up, we’ve got for one night only, a reunited Harlem Heat taking on the Haas Brothers in a tag-team match!

--

Match #5
Harlem Heat
(Booker T and Stevie Ray) versus The Haas Brothers (Charlie and Russ Haas)

The reunited Booker T and Stevie Ray got a big pop from the Oklahoma crowd as they made their way to the ring, where Charlie and Russ Haas, their opposing numbers awaited anxiously, clearly concerned with taking on the 10-time WCW World Tag Team Champions. However, while the Haas Brothers were clearly outmatched by the still fluid Harlem Heat, it was not a complete squash. There were bursts of offense when the two men double teamed either Stevie Ray or Booker T while the other was being held back by the referee from entering. The Oklahoma crowd, already behind Booker T and Stevie Ray, solidly got against the rookie tandem with solid booing at their dastardly (though moderately effective tactics). All good things must come to an end however, as Stevie Ray rallied enough to tag in an anxious Booker T, who proceeded to clean house on their opponents as the crowd roared their approval.

However, a clean victory was denied to the one-time teaming of Harlem Heat, when Shane Douglas, Dean Malenko and Perry Saturn hit the ring to level both Booker T and Stevie Ray with stiff lariats before putting their kicks to good use, forcing the disqualification victory from referee Charles Robinson. After a moments hesitation, the Haas brothers joined in, drawing even more boos as the fans saw where the allegiances of the two men laid.

Winners via Disqualification:
Harlem Heat​

Tenay: that no good Shane Douglas! He swore, he swore that he’d keep his word, that both Stevie Ray and Booker T were free from attacks by the Revolution!

As the boos of the fans increase, Shane Douglas went down to ringside to take a microphone from the ring-arena staff, returning to the ring in short order.

Douglas: Did any of you really think that I was going to let this go? That I would let Booker T and Stevie Ray just walk away?

Boos

Douglas: You idiots thought wrong! Nobody, I mean nobody walks away from The Revolution! Nobody turns their back on salvation and expect a easy trip to damnation! If it takes every ounce of moral fortitude, I will liberate, I will cleanse, I will purge World Championship Wrestling from its sins, its sinners and its non-believers! You will all follow our credos! Just like these two young men did.

Boos

Douglas: Charlie, Russ, you have proven yourselves worthy! Kneel to accept your oaths!

Both men do so.

Douglas: Do you swear, to carry forward the precepts of the Revolution, to carry forth the bloody banner of liberation, to cleanse WCW of its flaws, its false virtues, its false prophets?

Charlie: I do so swear.

Russ: I do so swear.

Douglas: Do you swear, to follow my commands, to follow the commands of your predecessors in this order, as they were from the mouth of our blessed Lord?

Charlie: I do so swear.

Russ: I do so swear.

Douglas: Then rise, rise as members of the Revolution, as our brothers in arms, as our comrades in the Revolution!

Boos from the crowd continues as the commentating team denounces the actions of Shane Douglas and his cohorts, with Thunder going on break.

As we come back to Thunder, we see the concerned looks on the faces of Scott Hudson, Tony Schiavone and Mike Tenay.

Tenay: Ladies and gentlemen, if you’re just joining us now, then you’ve probably missed the ending of the Harlem Heat – Haas Brothers tag-team match.

Hudson: Damn idiots…

Schiavone: Ladies and gentlemen, it appears that the Haas Brothers, a promising rookie tag-team only recently signed on by Commissioner Terry Funk at the onset of his regime, have joined forces and are now members of Shane Douglas’s Revolution. Both Booker T and Stevie Ray have been rushed to the hospital for eximination and treatment of their injuries, and so far we have no further information. As my colleague Scott Hudson said earlier in the show, the show unfortunately, |Chmust go on.

Hudson: Ladies and gentlemen, up next, Diamond Dallas Page, the new number one contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship will be going up against a mystery signing of Terry Funk’s.

Tenay: If its anything like the Haas Brothers it’ll probably turn out to be Hollywood Hogan or the Outsiders.

Schiavone: Don’t even joke about that, Mike.

SELF HIGH-FIVE hits the arena speakers as the hated Diamond Dallas Page walks to the ring with a microphone in one hand, and Kimberly Page with the other.

Page: Alright, Funk who’d you sign up? Some ol’ Rasslin buddy of your from 20 years ago? Come on, get him out here so I can get this over with.

Terry Funk comes out, with a microphone of his own in hand. He smiles at the pop he gets from the crowd as he stares at Diamond Dallas Page.

Funk: Page, this is somebody who I guarantee you’re very familiar with. Someone who one could say, made you famous, made you mean something. He is a 4-time World Heavyweight Champion, he is … “The Macho Man” Randy Savage!

POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE hits the speakers as the arena goes wild, as does the announce team.

Tenay: Well Tony, it wasn’t Hollywood Hogan, it wasn’t Scott Hall or Kevin Nash and thank goodness for that! Ladies and Gentlemen, Randy Savage has returned to World Championship Wrestling!

Match #5
Randy Savage
versus Diamond Dallas Page w/ Kimberly Page

As the match is set to begin, we see the anger, the fury evident on the face of Diamond Dallas Page, the hate towards Randy Savage, the man who he fought with so long over the course of the initial nWo’s era back in 1997. The history between these two men is not lost on the capacity crowd, whose energy seems to rile up the Macho Man, who caters to the crowd before the bell rings.

Which proves to be his mistake, as DDP immediately goes for a lariat as the bell rings, sending Savage to the ground as DDP puts the boot to him. DDP throws his shirt into the crowd to a chorus of boos as he lifts up the Macho Man for a series of standing shoulder blocks. Page attempts to go for the Diamond Cutter early on, but Savage pushes him off, going under the bottom ring to regain some space and slow down Page’s momentum.

Savage recovers at ringside as the fans cheer him on, but an inadvertent placing of his left hand on the ring apron sees DDP stomp on it, before throwing himself over the top rope. The move hits, and both men go to the floor, obviously injured from the high-flying attempt. Savage gets up first, paying DDP back for his stomps in the ring with kicks to the mid-section of the no. 1 contender, as the referee counts to ten. Savage goes into the ring to break up the 10-count before exiting, his eyes focused solely on Page.

Unfortunately, that breakup of the 10-count brought DDP the time he needed to recover, and with a feint while Savage dragged him to the ring-barriers, he rammed his head down. Obviously stunned, Savage was in no state to object as DDP dragged him back into the ring, only just beating another 10-count. A lariat from DDP to a barely standing Savage sends him down to the mat once again. DDP tries to go for a running leg-drop that is avoided by Savage rolling out of the way, getting up to perform a belly to back suplex that has DDP reeling but not out as Savage goes to the top rope to perform a flying clothesline.

Page is now the one on the mat as Savage draws a bit of support from the crowd as he mocks DDP’s self high-five. He turns around to see a standing DDP, who responds to the clothesline by throwing Savage over the top-rope and into the ring-barrier. The referee begins a ten-count, but Page exits himself, only for Savage to punch him in the shin and get up. Both men begin slugging one another at ringside, before a final blow from Savage sends DDP reeling, allowing him to break the 10-count and continue the brawl at ringside after an improvised, modified baseball slide that connects with the back of DDP’s head. He swiftly follows afterwards by getting DDP back in the ring, stumbling himself as he shake what cobwebs there were in his head; following it up with a high-knee smash to DDP’s skull to attempt a pin, which only gets a two to the disappointment of the fans. Savage brings DDP up for a vertical suplex, but DDP resists and instead gives Savage a suplex of his own, followed with a side-walk slam and then a gut-wrench powerbomb.

Both men are down on the mat, obviously damaged, tired, beaten, from the series of moves just desperately committed by DDP. The referee begins yet another 10-count, with both men only slowly coming to on opposite sides of the ring. At the count of 7, DDP makes it up, pulling himself up by using the ropes. At the academic count of 9, Savage also pulls himself up without the ropes. The two briefly pause as they stare at each other from across the ring, breathing heavily as they prepare to end their latest titanic struggle. Both men charge across the ring.

DDP gets an elbow to the face, while Savage takes a fist to the jaw. The two are slugging it out in the ring, matching punch for punch as the fans urge them on. Suddenly, out of nowhere, DDP executed a perfect Diamond Cutter! Savage is out! Savage is out! DDP is rolling him up for the pin!

…

….

3!

Winner via Pinfall: Diamond Dallas Page

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo