Woman shoots and kills Grandson

LSN80

King Of The Ring
Jonathan Hoffman came to live with his maternal grandparents in Detroit after his parents divorced and moved to Arizona, in order that he could finishat the same high school. Before he could finish his school year, he found himself dead at the hands of his grandmother, shot to death.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4752428...yers_fl/t/police-woman-shoots-kills-grandson/

74 year old Sandra Layne is being charged with open murder after shooting her grandson, Jonathan Hoffman, to death. As I stated above, Hoffman went to live with his maternal grandparents during his senior year after his divorced parents relocated, so he could finish his senior year at a familar school.

Hoffman had extensive run-ins with the law. Police had been called to the condominium he shared with his grandparents due to a heated argument between Layne and Hoffman, but never turned physical. Hoffman had apparently been in the street screaming, out of control emotionally. Court documents show that Hoffman had been arrested twice for drugs, once for possession of marijuana, and once for using mushrooms. Hoffman was in a treatment program, however, and told that if he stayed off drugs, his record would be expunged. A search of the house following the shooting found extensive drug paraphanelia in his room.

Police were summoned to the home after Hoffman himself had called the police. He told the 911 operator he had been shot in the chest and was dying. As police and medical personnel arrived on the scene, they noted more shots could be heard ringing out. When police arrived at the door, Layne simply handed police the gun, and said she shot her grandson. Hoffman was transported to the hospital, where he died shortly after. Hoffman had been, in all, shot 8 times. Hoffman's aunt, Judy Metzger, said the following about the shooting:

"Neither of his parents thought something might be wrong.We obviously don’t know what [prompted] this woman, who purchased the gun 30 days ahead of time — a shoot-to-kill weapon. Obviously, the issue lies with her mental facilities."

What would prompt Layne to buy the gun? To me, a couple of possibilities come to mind. Being that there had been past incidents at the house, Hoffman could have made threats toward Layne, prompting her to buy the gun for protection. Or, this could be the case of a woman who had a burning hatred toward her troubled grandson, and planned this in advance. Said Layne's lawyer, Jerome Sabbata:

"She felt she had no choice. This is a 74-year-old lady who just bought a gun. It's not like she was a pro. I don't think she was in control of her emotions. She was afraid. She's not a big, strong woman."

I don't understand this logic. Perhaps Hoffman was threatening his grandmother, and this was the result. But to say she had no choice? The boy was unarmed, and she shot him EIGHT times. To me, that speaks to either a woman who had been pushed too far, or had alot of venom stored up against her grandson. Either way, I fail to understand how shooting him EIGHT times was in anyway her only choice. This is even moreso true due to the fact that she continued shooting as Hoffman called 911. Said Hoffman's father Michael:

"Regardless of what difficulties my son gave her, there was no reason for her to shoot him.I'm not saying he was aggressive, but if he was, I don't understand how being aggressive but unarmed would justify her using deadly force".

To me, this speaks to the mental faculties, or lack thereof, of the woman. The interesting thing here is the charge by the prosecution, should she be determined fit to stand trial. Layne is being charged with Open Murder, which means the jury can decide whether it's second or first degree murder. If found fit to stand trial, and convicted, Layne would, as a 74 year old woman, face life in prison. It's hardly the end she imagined, after a 30 year career as a teacher, with no previous run-ins with the law.

But I doubt it's the end Jonathan Hoffman, regardless of his troubles, imagined either.

Thoughts on this? It's hard for me to imagine anything other then this woman lost her mental faculties. They may have eroded over a year of verbal and emotional abuse, and her grandson's run-in's with the law. But this is a woman who took in a family member, then shot him 8 times, even as he was pleading for his life. What could possibly prompt something like that to happen? Violence in the family is a commonplace thing, but I tend to imagine bruisings and beatings, not gunshot wounds. I also wonder if her age played a factor in this as well. In any case, this story shines a light on the toll (possible) verbal abuse can have on someone, and the saddening fallout. But off to you for thoughts on anything involving this case.

Until her defense team can come up with some evidence that she felt her life was in imminent danger, I am inclined to agree. In fact, unless there is actual evidence of some kind of real threat or extenuating circumstances, it will be first degree murder.

However...don't be too shocked if her age is used as one of those extenuating circumstances. If her defense team can paint her as losing her mental faculties, that she is suffering from an undiagnosed dementia or Alzheimers or something like that, she might just walk, or be sentenced to spend the rest of her life in some kind of senior citizens home, as she couldn't be held responsible for her actions if she is suffering from some sort of mental disease, right? On the surface, it seems fairly cut and dry that it's murder...and I am not disputing that at all. All I am saying is that given her age, her defense team has a few more weapons at their disposal as far as tactics go to convince a jury not to convict her. Her spending the rest of her life in prison is not a foregone conclusion.

What could possibly prompt something like that to happen?

This wasn't a crime of passion committed in the heat of the moment; the notion that a 74-year-old woman bought the gun a month in advance proves that. She had to make a considered decision that her grandson's life was spiraling out of control and she vowed to end it before he could end someone else's.....including her own. If there was any rhyme or reason to her actions, that's how I would tend to see it.

On the other hand, if her mind was unbalanced, the jury is going to be trying to figure out something that cannot be figured. Seemingly rational people do things that defy reason; with a sick mind, anything can happen.

The human mind can justify anything it wants to. The grandmother's actions may have seemed perfectly logical to her. When you get these zealots who think they're saving the world by their unilateral actions, events occur that are so atrocious to the rest of us that we can't fathom where they came from. Look at the fanatics who believe deeply in the sanctity of life.....and prove it by killing those who they deem a threat to that.

Grandma is going away for good, I would think. If I were her attorney, I'd shoot for an insanity defense so she can spend the rest of her life in a nice, quiet mental health facility where she can watch "The Price is Right" on TV while society remains safe from her.

This is an interesting case....

I think a lot of people will bring in her mentality because of her age but I honestly think it sounds more like an angry grandmother who was pushed to the limit....still doesn't mean that she should have shot and killed him but it almost sounds as if she thought it was a way out for him (to stay out of trouble).

Like parents who kill their disabled children. They just can't handle taking care of them so they find an 'easy way out'. In this case, perhaps she thought, with all his run ins, that he would never get out of that lifestyle so she made the horrible decision to end it herself.

At the same time, we don't know the entire story that led up to this, the events that made her go out and buy a gun in advance. Abuse, possibly. She may have legit feared for her own life after things he did before.

People do outrageous things if riled enough physically, verbally, or by text on the Internet. Sounds to me like she went nuts and thought that, given Hoffman's history, he was a lost cause. That couldn't be further from the truth based on the information given. She's probably senile and lacked common sense when she committed the heinous act, but she broke the law and killed her own grandson, so she has to pay the price.

A 30 year teacher? Does it specify what and who she taught? It can play into what caused all of this. Maybe she was a high school teacher and had seen other kids display that same behavior at her. I have doubts that his own attitude alone was able to drive what's described as a perfectly normal woman into premeditated murder. My feeling is that she's seen that kind of behavior before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back