With an Orchestra

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
I have seen it a few times now, a solid heavy metal act, using an orchestra to bring out their music better. Serj Tankian of the band System of a Down has just recorded an album with the Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra for his new album Elect The Dead.

I really enjoy the sound especially off of Empty Walls which was released to promo the new DVD.

Now I think back to another famous Heavy Metal that also did an orchestra album, and that was Metallica with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra for their album S&M. The album was moderatly successful, with a great new song No LEaf Clover on it.

Other acts have brought in instruments that are usually reserved for an orchestra to make a deeper sound. I was wondering if you like it as much as I do. It really makes Heavy Metal have a deeper and more epiclike feel to it.

I completely agree with you, it does come off with a deeper and more epic feel.

I absolutely LOVED Metallica's S&M performance, I got it on DVD and CD form, and have watched it a lot of times.
I actually must admit some of the songs come off better with the orchestra than it does without it, songs like Master of Puppets, and Call of Ktulu.
So I would have to say orchestras mixed into a bands live performances has definitely proved a success for my taste.
I sadly cannot admit having listened to any other bands than Metallica's orchestra performance, but I have my doubt that Metallica is the only band that has come off with one hell of a concert through the use of the orchestra sounds.

When I think of bands that use orchestras, I immediately think of Rhapsody of Fire.

Once called Rhapsody, this Italian band makes music described as "Symphonic Metal". Orchestras feature heavily in all their songs, which are power metal. Combined with the epic lyrics detailing heroic stories of fantasy, their songs are an experience like no other.

The orchestra adds so much to their music, transforming it from basic metal to something incredible and powerful. Without the choirs and instruments, the Emerald Sword Saga wouldn't be have as...awesome.

I'm a big fan of incorporating orchestras and nonstandard instruments into all sorts of music. Whether it's DJ Taka's use of piano in the electronic dance song "V (For Ryan)" or the multitude of songs by Rhapsody of Fire, adding in something other than the usual instruments or sounds gives the songs a whole new dimension that I love.

So everyone knows how epic a feel an orchestra adds to the mix, and we know that the genre of rock has probably gone to the orchestra well more than any other genre of music, and because of that there is quite a wide selection of epic orchestra rock music.

What so great about an orchestra is if you have the production skills you can add an orchestra to any style, type, or sound toss it in the oven, and end up with something special. I'll dig into my Dubstep roots for a couple stellar tracks that had the balls to incorporate some classical symphony sounds in with some heavy bass for a one of a kind listening experience.

Guido
Orchestral Lab

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_QNwESNOiMg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_QNwESNOiMg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Guido
The Way you make me Feel

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYHbIXsLPcU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYHbIXsLPcU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Here ya go, both tracks incorporate orchestra and classical instrument use, with heavy electronic sounds, for quite the unique listening experience.

I will only take on the OP post here. At a later time, I'll see if I need to express anything else concerning the other posts here.

I enjoy a good symphonic (real or simulated) , but the difference between Serj and Metallica is Motive.

Serj is using the symphony as a sociopolitical device to embrace those with a higher emotional quotient, and Metallica used it as a device to make somewhat deep music a bit deeper using the same emotional quotients.

Note, this is my opinion and you are more than welcome to yell at me and "tell me how it really is." Also take notice that I am not a fan of Metallica, and only found select songs by Serj's old group pleasing.

When I saw this thread, I immediately thought of Metallica's "S&M" CD before even opening the thread. That is the perfect example of this. Orchestra music has been around for AGES, it has stood the test of time, whether someone likes "classical" or not. I think that using orchestral instruments to add to the sound of a great modern song can be extremely cool. It truly does add an epiclike feel to the song in some cases, like TM said. I don't think that this is always the case though because sometimes it comes off cheesy or bad.... at least to those of us who usually dislike "classical" music.... but then there are the cases such as Metallica's "S&M" CD where it works out rather well and sounds good. It's a matter of finding the right band, the right song, and the right number of instruments from the orchestra to add in. I don't always like it, but when it's done just right then I really enjoy it because it adds so much more to what otherwise could already be a great song without the orchestra.

That Serj CD fucking sucks ass, I hate it.

In general though this is a generally epic idea, which I love. S&M from Metallica was amazing, as are many songs the band Deathklok preforms with orchestra's. I also have heard tons of ORchestral covers of metal songs that sound amazing, and it truly is two styles of music that mesh amazingly well. if you have to oppurtunity to check some out, i would highly encourage it.

Except for the Serj CD, which sucks ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back