• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will today's Wrestlers become huge draws in the future?

Fansince1992

Getting Noticed By Management
The Rock, Stone Cold , Triple H, Undertaker, and Brock Lesnar, and perhaps the likes of HBK and Goldberg all still have what it takes to draw audiences. They are all also either Retired or Part-Timers. When 1 of the above mentioned makes a return, fans obviously get excited to see them again.

John Cena and CM Punk (the 2 top stars in WWE and probably the entire industry) as we know are both currently Full-Timers. Fast forward 10 years now. John Cena would be about 45 years by now, most probably Part-Time. Would he draw bigger as a Part-Timer than he does today? This probably applies more to Punk as he probably doesn't draw as good as Cena does. Some of you may think that Cena or Punk would draw better today than they would when thier carrears are coming to an end.

Last years WM main event between The Rock and John Cena was truly exciting for me in the buildup leading to WM. I think this was mainly because i wanted to see The Rock in action again after 8 years away. I was really pumped for WM28 for that match alone. This year is not so exciting, and i think it's because The Rock has returned and been making quite a lot of appearences this year. I actually prefer to see The Rock occassionaly rather than week in week out, makes it more exciting.

Obviously WWE wouldn't want to give Cena or Punk time off at the moment because they are the draws.

Triple H's intense promo last week on Raw was great, but seeing him on the Mic every single week would probably become repetitive.

Remember the Brock Pop on April 2nd 2012 ?

Undertaker's 1 match a year obviously draws huge

Imagine how many fans would clamour to see Stone Cold or Goldberg in action again.

Back to Punk and Cena, how do you think they might draw in 5-10-15 years time compared to today?

I can see Cena being a big draw in 15 years as a part-timer. He'll be getting a huge nostalgia pop from people in their 20's. Peple who loved the guy when they were 12...

Who realy knows what the industry will be like in 15 years though?

Vince could screw over Cena, and Cena could be working a program in TNA... ROH could somehow be in a position to be the number 2 company... A lot can happen in 10 or 15 years.

Barring any major changes to the landscape of the wrestling business, I see no reason why John Cena wouldn't be a big draw in 10-15 years. I was a Hulkamaniac in the late 80s/early 90s, and when he had his nostalgia tour in 2002, I went out of my way to go to the Judgement Day PPV just so I could see the red & yellow Hulkster again. Lil' Cenation members will hopefully do the same when John Cena is a saggy, leathery shadow of himself.

I believe that Punk will retire and stay retired. I could see him being an announcer a la Jesse Ventura or Jerry Lawler, but I don't see him becoming a nostalgia act. So, either due to retirement or becoming an on-air personality, I don't really see him being a draw in a decade-plus from now. That's not to say he wouldn't be if he was still wrestling, though. Of course, it wouldn't be on Cena's level because Punk's fans have always skewed older.

So yeah, I think time will treat Cena and Punk well. They're memorable figures with diehard fans, so there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to fill an arena in 10-15 years. It couldn't be all the time, naturally, but for a nostalgia run like what Hogan had or for infrequent appearances, they'll do just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back