• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will there ever be another boom?

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
We hear it all the time, wrestling is cyclical, and we're in a trough. In my opinion, the principal reason for this is the frankly incredible ability of wrestling promotions to pick the wrong guy to pass the baton onto (Ultimate Warrior, Brock Lesnar etc.) Whatever the reason, the historical precident is there. Wrestling bottomed out about this time last year in terms of ratings, and they are rising slowly.

So, do you think we will see another surge in wrestling popularity and get to the kinds of dizzy heigts it reached in 98-99, if so, why?

Personally, I think wrestling needs a star that can take it there, but I'm not sure Cena is quite on that level. He is 98% the wrestler he needs to be, and if he could be more identifiable with the white working class male, then it'd be full steam ahead. If that happened, or if another Rock-esque person turned up, then I can see another boom, otherwise, it's not going to happen.

If there is another boom, I would expect to see it in the form of a new Attitude Era. While I've heard two sides of the argument as to whether the AE was actually as good as it's given credit for, it simply cannot be argued how successful it was. I'm expecting it to come about again after a few more years of the PG Era, and when it ends, the kids-turned-teens will want a grittier, more mature product. Enter John Cena's new persona...

Cena could easily be the pioneering face for the upcoming generation, and while he could revert back into his old rapper gimmick, I would much rather see him take on a brand new persona entirely, one based on attitude and fighting authority (I know, it sounds like Austin, but that's the point). I don't know what exactly it would be, but I'm sure he could pull it off with ease.

yeah for there to be another boom in wrestling WWE needs a star. Like Cena Hogan he doesnt need to be the best wrestler through, as long as he appeals to other media. I.e the Rock. Thats why he was such a commercial sucsess and he also backed it up every time he went out there. He made money, he wa sthe total package and i dont think the WWE has justr got this at the moment which is such a shame. I think in order to be another boom they have to start appealing to other types of media too for worldwide purposes. Because obvoiusly kids can watch Raw over in the US, but over here in the UK its on at 2 am and such in the morning. The ratings could skyrocket if they could, still trying to attract their product to kids, but still atract to a larger audiance. Maybe the late teens or the usual 18-34 demographic.

originally posted by Tastycles's

but I'm not sure Cena is quite on that level. He is 98% the wrestler he needs to be, and if he could be more identifiable with the white working class male, then it'd be full steam ahead.

In terms of who this pearson could be, as Tastycles said, i think Cena i sabout 98% the wrestler he needs to be. He is great for the kids, and maybe a slight, just a tad of a differance could make him the pearosn they need. Like i said, it has to be someone who can attract to the media, and looking at all the stuff hes done, tv shows, movies, albums, there is nobody better than the man John Cena to take WWE into a period where they were on top of the owrld. i think through, to overall answer your question that there would 'nt be a boom for about another two or three years. You neva know through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back