• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will there ever be another Andre vs Hogan moment?

SavageTaker

Everybody Has A Price!
I have been thinking about this question for quite a while now.While there ever be another Andre the Giant vs Hulk Hogan moment.I'm not particularly(sp?) talking about the whole match,but one specific thing that happened at that match at Wrestlemania III.

We all remember when Hulk Hogan slammed Andre the Giant.Although he wasnt the first to do it many believe he was.Also if i am correct,there wasnt many people who slammed him when he got to the size he was.Which was pretty large,and everyone who slammed had done it when he was at a lighter weight.

But to get back on track,i want to know if there will ever be another moment where someone will make history happen like that.will there be another match that felt just as or more historic than this one.

So will there ever be another match that in terms of importance and magnitude will be as big as this one or bigger?

Hulk Hogan vs The Rock could have been if only it was 2-3 years earlier when The Rock was building himself up and not gettin ready to leave for Hollywood. If Taker loses to someone, that could be your Hogan/Andre but who is worthy of that honor?

That moment, and its magnitude will never be duplicated!
there are no more larger than life characters in wrestling, and the business has taken a totally different direction!
a hogan vs austin match is the only possible match that could equal or maybe even surpass that moment!
why?
because both characters are larger than life!
aside from that match, there is no other possible match that could match the hogan v andre moment!
the biggest moments in wrestling history...all involve hogan!!
why?
he was the biggest 'character' ever!

i don't think there will ever be a moment that big just because i don't think the wrestling business will ever be that big again. You will not see 93,000 people fill up an arena and have two stars that big and legendary again. Even if you have another Austin or Rock come in they still will not have the draw appeal to make the match or moment as significant as hogan/andre. The reason they won't draw as big is because the market is so saturated now, there are too many programs and you see the same match so often. How can a moment be significant if it or the exact opposite can happen just as easily the next night, week, or pay per view. Hogan Andre had that feel of a once in a lifetime moment. The only possible once in a lifetime moment could be undertaker losing his wrestlemania streak that would be about it. Not that i want to see shawn do it bc i am not a fan of his, but i think he is the last chance of doing it in a way that is both believable and shocking, he wouldn't have to make it an obvious win like against flair, but instead if he sneaks in SCM and wins the match, it could catch people off guard and shock the world almost in the way hulk slammed andre, won't have the worldwide appeal that that moment did, but will have the impact among fans for years to come.

I don't think so, because that match pretty much put the wrestling industry on the map.

That match pretty much brought wrestling from being a regional thing, to a national obsession.

Hell, the rematch between Hulk & Andre was the most watched wrestling event in history.

No match will ever compare to that in terms of its importance.

Looking back, yeah it was a poorly worked match.

But do you think those 93,000 people in the Silverdome gave a shit about "workrate" or "star ratings"????

When Gorilla Monsoon called it "The Irresistible Force meeting the Immovable Object", he was absolutely right!!!

I don't think anything will compare to that.

If we actually look back at the event of Andre and Hogan we have to remember the build up between these two prior to the match. Andre had been undefeated for 15 years! common!! 15 years. No wonder it had a major impact when Hogan finally toppled his record!

We will never get a moment like that because we all hate Cena when he holds on to the title for 2 years never mind 15 years. If Cena got beat after 15 years of winning then it would be a simular moment.

And obviously it was spectacular because nobody thought that Andre could be body slammed.

There are always going to be classic Wrestlemania moments but its always going to be shadowed because they have come after Andre.

It's the same with movies... Even in the rare case that a sequel may be as good as the original its more than likely that the original will be more memorable because it broke ground.

Hogan and Andre broke ground and everyone since it only replicating what has been done.

That doesnt mean that other moments can't be memorable. If HBK managed to end the streak (Wont happen i dont think) then yes it would be a big deal... and only time would tell how big a moment it would be but even if it was to happen, people would still look back at Hogan Andre because its still classic...

HBK beating Taker will only piss people off since most of think Taker should stay undeafted @ WM. Hogan vs Rock was the closet so far; Hogan vs Austin would get very very close IDK if it would pass that moment as a little kid to see Hogan slam Andre was huge for me.

i think if jeff hardy hadnt won the title till wrestlemania but won the same way he did at armageddon it would be a great moment

If the Hogan vs The Rock was done in Wrestlemania X7 (during the last time it could be considered the WWF's height, and finally the purchase of WCW), it could've been that larger than life moment

but instead we got a 16 chairshot finish from Austin to The Rock

The sad thing is that if you think about it, all it was, was a bodyslam. But that was so big back then, being that the WWF had never had anyone as enormous as Andre up to that point.

So the prestige of doing that to a Big Man is gone in this day and age.

Also, combined with the fact that there never will be another Hulk Hogan in wrestling, the scenario is highly doubtful.

Nope. They've tried a few times and it's just never worked. Cena FUing Big Show WM20, Cena FUing Khali (Can't remember when it was) and Kane slamming Khali 20 years later on from WM3 at WM23 and all three times have all paled in comparison to Hogan slamming Andre because at that time, for someone to slam Andre was seen as the impossible and I don't think that is something that can be replicated again. Slamming a big guy these days just isn't as impressive as it was when Hogan did it since we've seen big guys get slammed multiple times. The more you do something, the lesser the impact of it happening is.

How funny everyone seems to think that this event was the golden age of wrestling. It hardly wasn't, and just because 93,000 people packed the arena doesn't mean shit. WCW used to pack over a 100,000 people in Japan. The WWE just recently had a WM that had over 70,000 people!

It just goes to show you how easily people were entertained back then. Andre sucked in the ring, and so did Hogan. All they had going for them was Hogan's fame, and Andre's size along with his 15 year undefeated streak. Memorable, yes only due to the nature of those playing the game.

Hogan was, and still is an entertainment icon. Andre was simply larger than life, and people back then loved it. You have to understand that Andre had been in wrestling more than 20 yrs when this moment happened, he wasn't some no name. That helps as well considering the fan base here. I don't know about you, but I would much rather watch Steamboat v.s Savage any day.

Wrestling today is much larger than it was back then. You can say that there will never be another match to hold up to this one, but that is mere opinion, not fact. As much as the WWE upsets me with its poor prodcut value lately. I would have to say that I have watched some amazing matches, and feel that the WWE has already topped Hogan v.s Andre.

I think there was a moment like that. The only problem was it wasnt a main event match. I am talking about Wrestlemania 20, between John Cena and Big Show when Cena picked up Big Show and gave him the FU now that was an amazing thing to see at that time.

If Cena beats The Undertaker at WM 26 next year then IMO that will definitely be a bigger moment then Hogan/Andre.

I have got to be honest and admit that i think that this may happen too...

I hope Undertaker retires well before he gets the chance to face Cena at Wrestlemania! lol

I would have so much more respect for John Cena if he did face him and lose like everyone else has though.

I have to say there will never be such a moment because the story lines move so fast there will never be the build up like the 15 years for Andre. True it was just a slam, but it was the buildup behind it that made it such a special moment. As for a great moment being out of strength alone, I wont be surprised anymore after seeing Brock Lesnar F5 the Big Show, or after soooo much hype seeing Lashley break the masterlock, see the sarcasm there, but it was still billed as something nobody could do nonetheless and nobody cared when it happened.

I have to say there will never be such a moment because the story lines move so fast there will never be the build up like the 15 years for Andre. True it was just a slam, but it was the buildup behind it that made it such a special moment. As for a great moment being out of strength alone, I wont be surprised anymore after seeing Brock Lesnar F5 the Big Show, or after soooo much hype seeing Lashley break the masterlock, see the sarcasm there, but it was still billed as something nobody could do nonetheless and nobody cared when it happened.

Yeah but lets be honest Jerry Lawler nearly broke the masterlock hehe !

I get your point though, as it has been said before, once its done more than once in wrestling its nearly old.

There will NEVER be a moment like that. It was a dream match in its time. There are no dream matches that can possibly happen. Austin vs Hogan would be nice but they are both passed their prime. WCW screwed up the Hogan vs. Flair dream match and I guess the closest thing would have been Austin vs Rock which put the two hottest stars in the industry in the ring. The landscape of wrestling has changed that with no competition there is no wrestler not in the WWE that people DREAM of seeing wrestle a WWE wrestler.

In my opinion without real competition to the WWE there will never be a Hogan/Andre moment duplicated.

I just thought of one possible dream match that could have produced it but NEVER will...

Vince McMahon vs. Bret Hart before he got inducted.

no i dont think so because hogan is the greatest this biss. has ever seen and andre was larger than size and the hulkster brought him down the only thing that could come close to that might be this year when the undertaker finally bets hbk and puts and end to his mouth and stupid storyline i mean everybody knows taker is going to win

there will never bee another Hogan Andre moment... at least that's my opinion.... anywho, my reasoning is this. you have the two biggest icons in the sport at the time. nothing could've topped the magnitude and the personalities that went with it. today you don't have that sort of magnitude. sure you have your Jon Cena's your HHH's your Shawn Michaels's your Taker's and your Edge's but they are nowhere close to the popularity that those two were. Hogan and Andre were so loved during the time their feud happened and with wrestling now one major company you can't really have that sort of thing happening.

I reckon if Brock Lesnar had stayed and becoem the face of the WWE like he should have been, they would TRY and push him superplexing Big Show and breakign the ring as the modern day equivilanent of Hogan slamming Andre.

First off, Andre was defeated in those 15 years. That streak was a lie. & yes he was bodyslammed before that too.

The only reason that match is hyped up so much is becuz that's Hogan's defining moment. & basically the exclamation point to Andre's career.

I doubt it'll ever be duplicated, simply because even though he was beaten and slammed in the past, it was hyped up for months that it had never happened and so when it did, even people that hadn't ever watched wrestling were walking around the next day saying "whoa did you see Hogan bodyslammed Andre?". Even though it was staged it was an incredible feat and made it to at least the local news here and George Michael's Sports Machine, so it transcended rasslin'. Nowadays, to slam Big Show, Khali, Mark Henry or Big Daddy V, yes it's impressive but they're able to push off and help out. Andre's knees were so shot that he wasn't even able to stand without assistance from the ropes for much of the match, let alone help Hogan lift him up. 500ish pounds of dead weight. Tack onto that the fact that Hogan tore a muscle in his back in mid-lift, yet continued with the move. So no, I don't think it'll ever be recreated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back