• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Smith: Biggest Star in the world?

Big Ace

Championship Contender
Is it fair to say, judging by the performances of his last 8-10 films, that Will Smith is the biggest and most bankable star in the World? Honestly, he's the only actor in Box Office to have eight consecutive movies grossing over 100 million domestically, and with Hancock and I Am Legend, it appears he's starting a new streak of over 200 million dollar movies.

I must say I've never seen a Will Smith I didn't enjoy (well, maybe Wild West West and the Legend of Bagger Vance). But honestly, who in this decade has proven to be a more consistent draw than Smith?

I know guys like Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks did extremely well in the last decade but Hanks is concentrating on producing and Tom Cruise has...well he has Katie Holmes.

Which leaves the top door open to Will Smith, in my opinion. Numbers don't lie after all.

I’ll start off by saying that Will Smith definitely holds that crown not just opinion wise but probably factual wise based on the information that you presented.

Sure there are people like Shia LaBeouf that have had a few big successes in a row and probably will have several more in a row but 1) they still dont' compare to Will Smith's success record since it already exists and probably will continue and 2) His name recognition is definitely bigger than most actors, and 3) in Shia's case one of the hits Indiana Jones, can't be attributed to him as much as Will Smith's successes can be attributed in large part to him. Harrison Ford and the franchise itself gets the overall credit for Indiana Jones.

I say "they" because Shia was the first to spring to mind for having a few successes in a row but there are more high profile actors that have as well.

So to reiterate I would agree that Will Smith definitely the most successful and by that merit he can be defined as "biggest" though despite what the facts show there are likely to be some who feel that someone else is bigger based on other factors than just financial success. If so then I'm interested in hearing those opinions just to get an idea of what other's think.

Will Smith is one of my favourite actors. I didn't know about 8 consecutive movies grossing over $100million stat, it just goes to show that he's the main man in Hollywood.

My favourite film of his is definitely Enemy of the State which proved he can more than adequately play the serious role. I mean watching episodes of the Fresh Prince where he oozed charisma, you just knew that this guy was destined for the top. Fair play to him.

Will Smith is the biggest star in Hollywood today. Not only does he have a huge streak of successful movies under his belt, but he's also the highest paid actor in Hollywood. All his movies do excellent in theaters, and he's obviously a go to guy if you want a big blockbuster to be successful. The guy is a pretty good actor, and he oozes charisma. I don't see his career going anywhere but up from here, and that's after years of success. He's definitely todays biggest star.

I think I have to agree with this almost by default. In the 90s, Tom Hanks was arguably the biggest star in the world but now he's only in about a movie every two years. Smith seems to be in a movie every year or so and they almost never fail to be smash hits. The only time he's ever really failed was Wild Wild West, but other than that he's nailed everything he's done. Two Oscar nominations so he has talent along with his mainstream appeal. He's the king of the big action movies, can do the dramatic stuff as well, and has blown past Denzel as the top African American actor. Is he the top actor in the world of Hollywood and entertainment? Yes I think he is, but he hardly seems like it at first thought.

Oh, no doubt about it. Smith has been on a roll lately. Blockbuster after blockbuster, but then again, that's pretty much been his entire career. He owns the Fourth of July weekend. And although overall some of the movies he's been in haven't been awe inspiring, he still does great in them and definetely entertains you.

Who would've thought he would go from "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" to "World's Biggest Movie Star".

Even though he's not had a hit in a while I'd still say that Tom Cruise is the bigger star. He's been around as a huge star a lot longer than Will Smith. Cruise was already the worlds biggest star in 1996 when Smith was starting to break out. And until recently he maintained that. So while Smith might be on his way, he still has a couple of years before he's officially the worlds biggest movie star, and worlds biggest star in general.

I didn't see this until the dude brought it back from the dead so...

Even though he's not had a hit in a while I'd still say that Tom Cruise is the bigger star. He's been around as a huge star a lot longer than Will Smith. Cruise was already the worlds biggest star in 1996 when Smith was starting to break out. And until recently he maintained that. So while Smith might be on his way, he still has a couple of years before he's officially the worlds biggest movie star, and worlds biggest star in general.

I really can't buy into that, and don't see how you can. After his whole "Scientology" debacle, I -really- don't see how he's that big a star any more. He's more of a laughing stock if anything, like Mel Gibson.

If anything him being revealed as a total crackpot made him into a bigger star. Imagine how many column inches he must have got throughout 2005. Will Smith on the other hand does nothing. You'd never find him leaping on sofa's or acting mental.

Him being a laughing stock didn't make him less of a star. If anything it made him into a tabloid favorite.

Will Smith is deffiantly a movie star I pay to see. In fact, I hardly remember a big or average movie that he is been in that I haven't seen. He has been in some of my favorite movies "Independence Day", "I Am Legend", "I, Robot" and many others. Luckily I have a girlfriend who also loves his movies. If I were to pick a movie on Actors alone, I really think Will Smith would be number 1, Tom hanks would be in my top 20, and Tom Cruise maybe top 50. In fact, George Clooney is a higher seller than the later two. Id rather see Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Matt McCanahey, and maybe even the Rock in movies more than the Toms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back