• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Cena beat/equal Flair's record?

Yes, I believe John Cena is going to beat Ric Flair's record of World Championship wins. Cena is close enough to still being in his prime that unless he suffers a severe career ending injury, he has many more years left. The WWE has not one but two titles up for grabs that can be considered World Championships (regardless of how useless the World Heavyweight Championship seems in comparison to the WWE Championship) that change hands more often than they used to. Cena going after the World Heavyweight Championship for a while will help it seem important again so I hope this continues for a long time.

Whether it be the 16 World Championships that WWE considers Flair to have won, or the 21 he claims himself to have won, if anyone can break that record it is John Cena. He would deserve it too, he is so passionate about what he does. Currently John Cena is a 13 time World Champion (11 time WWE, 2 time World Heavyweight) at only 36 years old. Flair was a 16 time World Champion as far as what WWE recognizes (8 time NWA, 6 time WCW, 2 time WWE) and the last occurred in 2000 when he was 51, he is now 64. Cena has more than enough time to catch up and break Flair's record. I could see Cena being a 25 time World Champion by the time all is said and done. The only thing that could ever stop him from breaking the record is a severe injury that ends his career early. Otherwise his determination will get him there.

Cena is still young, he's gonna beat flair's record for sure, unless cena quit's or get's injured, i can see john cena getting to 15 losing the belt to a new guy, and going to tie with ric flair's record he win's and a guy cashes in with ric's help, and then cena's goal is to defeat flair's record, with flair's guy he tries to make sure cena don't beat his score, this would be a amazing feud.

I think he'll absolutely beat 16 at some point. He might even do it while he's still full time. Cena's a guy that, even if he went down to part time, he's still competing for World Titles. He is still a top guy even if he isn't there all year round.

He could do it in the next couple years, he could do it in 10 years, but I think it's almost a guarantee. The guy is an insanely fast healer who hasn't really slowed down in the ring yet. Also, Cena still has a great physique and still has plenty of fans.

He'll beat the record.

I think because he is still relatively young at 36, he still a good 5 years left in the tank. Seeing as he has had 13 reigns including this upcoming reign, he will be at 14 after he beats ADR. I would say Yes, no doubt he will. Imagine a reign in 2014 with the WWE title again and another reign in 2015 and possibly a reign in 2016 I could see him going to 17 time World champion and breaking his record.

If we are going off the "Official" record of 16 World Championship wins, then I have absolutely no doubt that John Cena will break Ric Flair's record. He is only 36 years of age, which should give him at least another decade of an active career to get the final 3 title reigns he needs to equal Flair, or 4 to become the new record holder.

Cena is too valuable to WWE to keep out of the main event scene, and is still such a big money maker for the company that it makes sense to keep the title around his waist. They will undoubtably make a huge deal of it when John does break the record, and I would expect we see it happen within the next 5 years.

I always thought Triple H would be the guy to beat Flair's record, but that seems highly unlikely now, unless he gets the itch to be a full-time active wrestler again which I doubt. Randy Orton may also get there, but you have to look at John Cena as being the first, and possibly only guy to break that record of 16 World Title reigns.

Why in the world shouldn't he? What makes Flair so special that he deserves the record for eternity? if nothing else, who looks better as the most successful champion ever: a man who can't stay married for more than a few years at a time, owes everyone on the planet thousands of dollars and can't stay sober long enough to do an hour long segment on a video game, or the all-American boy who holds the record for most visits to dying children who could be on the cover of GQ?

Here's what people often forget about Flair: he broke the record held by Harley Race, which was a then eye popping eight. Flair DOUBLED the record, but we're supposed to be offended by WWE giving someone one more title reign? Cena has been on the top of the wrestling world for years now and has carried the WWE on his back since about 2006. Shouldn't he be allowed to be rewarded for his success? Why should Flair get to keep an arbitrary record? Just because he was there in the 1980s?

The record is a number. Lou Thesz held it for years, then Race held it for years, now Flair has held it for years. Records are made to be broken. It's the way sports, movies or anything works. Someone does something great, someone comes along and tops it. It doesn't make Flair any less great than Cena and it doesn't make Cena any greater than Flair. To think this is some slap in the face of Flair or some unnecessary praise of Cena is ridiculous.

I don't see why he won't break it and I certainly don't see why it matters if he does. I mean it is wrestling after all and in these days title changes are quite common, even if the amount of changes has stabilized quite a bit. Besides I think Cena has done more than enough through the years to warrant being the guy who breaks Ric Flairs 16 world titles and chances are Orton will beat whatever record Cena has.

I really don't see why it matters if Cena holds 17, 18, 19, 20 or over 20 world titles, he's been the top draw in wrestling for almost 10 years so yeah he deserves it. In the last decade whether it is entertainment or sports how many records have been broken? More than I can count. We've seen the most NBA titles by a coach, most TD Passes in a season (broken twice in the last decade and could very well be broken again this year), Favre owning numerous career QB records, Single game rushing record (broken twice again), Kobe scoring 81 points, Avatar being the highest grossing movie of all time, ect, ect, ect. Why not add the greatest wrestler of the last decade to the list of record breakers?

Title reigns really only mean so much when you come down to it, what really constitutes whether or not you're "the man", is how centered the promotion is around you. Cena time and again has shown that without the strap he's a top guy in the promotion. Hogan's been the same thing time again.

So yes in the kayfabe sense title reigns look all well and good, but they really don't amount to much else in the grand scheme of things. That's not to say that Flair's 16 time World Champion moniker doesn't add value to him as a wrestler, but outside of hardcore wrestling fan circles it really means little. Cena is the face of a generation, just like Hogan was, just like Steve Austin was.

So whether Cena breaks Flair's title reign record or not (which he likely will because of how titles are booked these days), he's already made himself stand out amongst others in his generation.

Yes they will have Cena break Flair's record eventually...for awhile I thought it was gonna be HHH,But since he's put the suit on and wrestles sporadically that would make Cena the next logical choice.
However I don't see Cena taking the strap off of ADR at HIAC.

I see ADR targeting Cena's surgically repaired arm throughout the match and somehow getting himself DQ'd,Cena will of course retaliate with an AA or something like that and that's when Sandow will cash in his MITB briefcase
Just got a feeling on this one.

Number of title reigns is a made up number just like the Takers undefeated streak. In the scheme of things it really doesn't mean anything. I will say this, back when Flair was champion.. guys held the title longer. Fueds actually meant more. Edge is a 10 time champ in what, 2-3 years that he was a top guy? I think Flair was probably champion for a 2 year period at one time haha.

Just a different era. Hell DB is a 2 time champion already and held the title for a total of less than 24 hours haha.

Absolutely Cena will break Flairs record of title reigns barring some type of career ending injury. Cena is a 13 time champion,no reason on gods green earth he wont break it. To be completely honest,I am surprised it hasnt happened by now. I get that,no one will break Sammartinos record of consecutive days as champion,but Cena will most definitely break Flairs record..

When he does,it certainly doesnt make Cena better than Flair or Flair better than Cena. Cena has broken his ass for the company,is an all-american boy,someone parents who would let their daughter date.. Cena has visited 300+children for Make-A-Wish, I wonder how many Flair has visited?? As to when he breaks it,hmmm lets see here! I say at WM35 he will break it! That will make Cena 41 years old still plenty left in the tank by then.. Records most of em are meant to be broken,some are never meant to be! Flairs record is meant to be broken and will be

give me a break, cena's wrestled nothing but a bunch of ham and eggers, and spent all his career in one company. he might beat or equal flair's, but there should be an asterisk next to the record. how many of flair's championships were in different companies? to many to list. where are cena's legendary matches? he has none. just my :twocents:

I see Cena winning, having Del Rios attack after the match, and have Sandow cash in and PIN Cena to raise the title. Notches up another title reign to Cena and elevates Sandow, hopefully erasing his meaningless jobbing run over the past few months.
John Cena will catch and pass Flair, and hopefully they make a nice angle out of it, having him at subsequent ppvs trying to wion the title the 17th time and coming up short numerous times before getting the big 17th win at a Mania or Summerslam

In an era where belts change hands faster than some superstars change underwear, why wouldn't Cena break that 16 world title record? The record doesn't mean anything either. Just saying you're a 16 time champion means that you were beat for the belt 15 times (if you're the current champion).

What these tallies for world championships mean is who is the top guy for the longest period of time. Because let's face it, if you're top guy, you're usually going to be losing and winning the belt more often than if you're some fly-by-night transitional champion that doesn't draw (more so in today's era than in earlier eras when reigns lasted 7 years). And if we're going to go by who is the top guy for longest. Bruno Sammartino, Backlund, Hogan, Flair, Thez, Dusty, Race, Anoki, etc are by far above Cena.

I'm not sure Cena wants that record. It certainly goes against the Cena character to have him going for records. How can anyone look at Flair today and be able to take something away from him? I'm not even sure Cena is going to stay full time for as long as others expect. Didn't everyone assume HHH was going to break the record years ago? Cena could win the title again, hold it for about a year and never touch it again. I assume Cena has plenty of money, I also see him finding other interests. Maybe he'll have kids. I watched an episode of Total Divas where he looked plenty comfortable at his pool sipping champagne, and having Nikki grab his junk.

If he is going to do it I hope they make a storyline out of it. Have Flair thwart his attempts or turn him heel in a rage of needing to have the title and the record. Much like the UT's Streak it is a story all it's own.

But I'm still not convinced it will happen.

Do I think he will beat the record? Yes, but the question is do I consider his record to be better than Ric Flairs? No... This may bug people when I say this but think about it this way in the early days when NWA was going by territories the committee made Flair champion multiple times, when WCW became its own entity Flair was champion multiple times and when Flair was in WWF he was champion twice. Why is this important? Because now a days you put the belt on your top guy when your company is floundering, and with Cena having no where else to go but WWE because his stock would go down in TNA, that he isn't a legitimate champion in certain aspects. If he would have been around in WCW/ECW days and he could've jumped from company to company I would've given the man credit, but guys like Triple H, Cena, HBK their multiple title reigns can't hold water to guys like Hogan, Flair, Savage, and hell even Kurt Angle because he could go to TNA and be a multiple time champion there. I am not saying their runs aren't impressive like CM Punk and his 434 day reign as champion, but even that holds more weight as a most impressive reigns than it does championship records.

I think it is now a certainty that John Cena will break Ric Flair's record. I have no problem with this because Cena is very talented and has an incredible work ethic. Ric Flair's career is still incredible without having the most World Title Reigns.

The only question is how many world title's John Cena wins. He is currently on 13 so I would say he could get 20 World Title reigns. Some might argue that he did this when the competition wasn't at its strongest but John Cena is simply a better champion then everyone else in the industry.

Why in the world shouldn't he? What makes Flair so special that he deserves the record for eternity? if nothing else, who looks better as the most successful champion ever: a man who can't stay married for more than a few years at a time, owes everyone on the planet thousands of dollars and can't stay sober long enough to do an hour long segment on a video game, or the all-American boy who holds the record for most visits to dying children who could be on the cover of GQ?

Here's what people often forget about Flair: he broke the record held by Harley Race, which was a then eye popping eight. Flair DOUBLED the record, but we're supposed to be offended by WWE giving someone one more title reign? Cena has been on the top of the wrestling world for years now and has carried the WWE on his back since about 2006. Shouldn't he be allowed to be rewarded for his success? Why should Flair get to keep an arbitrary record? Just because he was there in the 1980s?

I feel like no one has actually insinuated that he shouldn't :lmao:

and fuck yea he will break it. WWE hand out world title reigns like tic-tacs these days, I would be surprised if he didn't break it by WM 31. Cena likely has at least 8 - 10 years left, and at least five left as being the entire franchise, I wouldnt be shocked if he made it to a cool 30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back