Why One and Not The Other?

123NewChamp

Pre-Show Stalwart
Hello all, it's been a while. But I want to know something. Back in the day, we had tag teams such as The Rockers, Harlem Heat, Steiner Brothers, The APA, The Hart Foundation (Bret And Anvil), and The Hardy Boyz.What do these teams have in common? Basically ONE person from each tag team has had a huge milestone, or a significant push that led them to stardom and led them to become heavyweight champion. Don't get me wrong, some of these superstars got a significant push and outstanding careers, but they didn't acheive heavyweight championship, or World Championship Status. What in your opinion was the reason the wrestling organizations didn't put much emphasis on Matt Hardy, Ron Simmons, Jim Neidhart, Stevie Ray, Rick Steiner, and Marty Janetty? Do you think any of these guys even deserved at least 1 reign as a world or heavyweight champ? And to let you wonder a bit, what in your opinion might of became of the Ron, Matt, Rick, Stevie, Jim, and Marty if they had the same investment as their partners?

And yeah, I'm aware of Ron Simmons becoming WCW Champ beating Vader for the belt. But we're talking about branching from his time with the APA.

So folks, let's hear it.

Why does management tend to get behind one guy in a team, and not the other? Well, I think the impetus for a lot of tag team split is because management wants to push one guy as a singles star. So, for example, the Rockers. Management didn't just split them for the heck of it, they split them so that they could push Shawn. The problem here is that the logical way to split up a team is to turn one of them and have a feud with the two of them. So, management wants to push Shawn here. You're feuding him with Marty, and you need to get Shawn over. The only thing you can do is put him over Marty. So, Shawn gets the better of his first singles feud, and has management behind him. Meanwhile, Marty loses his first singles feud, and management doesn't really care. So it's fairly obvious why in this scenario Shawn rose to the top, and Marty didn't. It doesn't necessarily have to be a feud between the two that does this, just the lack of care for the other guy. When the Hart Foundation split, Jim didn't really feud with Bret, but management clearly had no interest in pushing Jim, so he fell to the bottom of the card and Bret rose.

Similar things happened to Matt and Jeff, and to the APA. It's just a case of one guy catching the eye of management as a singles star. When you think about it, it's just a delayed version of the regular process. Generally, you get pushed for having the package of what management likes, or at least most of it. You'd never get pushed as a singles guy in the first place without that. Tag teams can get big because two guys can cover each other's weaknesses. When you try to move one guy as a singles star, now everyone has to deal with their weaknesses. For certain guys, they get exposed as not having what it takes.

I might be rambling about the point here. Basically, as I see it, everyone has their own potential as a singles star. Tag teams cover that weakness, but they can't last forever. When you try to push Shawn, you find out Marty doesn't have it, and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back