• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why I'm Digging Sami Zayn's Character

Wildcat66

Mastermind of ATV
So, I had this whole thread that explained further on the idea of Bayley potentially being the biggest NXT bust since Paige, but after reading a little bit of Bayley's interview with Steve Austin; I decided to hold back...for now.

But enough about that, let's talk about Sami Zayn. More especially, Sami's character in recent weeks...To quote a certain fast-food clown, I'm loving it.

He comes off as dorky, awkward guy that means well in his actions and someone you can feel sorry for and root for. And he plays it very well, maybe it makes sense seeing as he does come off as a big of a nerd himself in real life. And the best part? It doesn't have to overshadow his underdog side, you can turn that part of his character on anytime you like.

It helps that he's pretty funny. From his pep-talk with Styles and Nakamura to his product placement with Tye Dillinger and even his interactions with Mike and Maria Kanellis, Zayn seems to find a way to make it work. I don't know whether or not it's because of the writing or his delivery or even a combination of both. But it seems to be working well for him.

In conclusion: I'm loving with Sami's been doing recently and i'm hoping to see more from him in the near future.

I only saw the recent one with what's her name and her husband, but I agree. I thought Zayn was funny and played it well. I am glad because every time I would hear his music, I would think "another contender to be thrown into this match, with no chance to win". He would be the 4th in a Fatal Four-Way or whatever and just had no shot. Now, hopefully, he can take his personality and turn it into something interesting, to go with the ring work that people seem to enjoy.

Isn't that who he has been for most of his main roster run with the exception being his time in legit feuds (e.g. Braun, KO)?

He's kind of been playing the pre-"No! No! No!" DB character and booking with the exception being anxiousness instead of nervousness.

I couldn't care less about Sami before wwe started booking him as this overly excited guy. Funny how, if you believe dirtsheets or not, it was only done as a rib due to him having some backstage heat.

Before, Sami had very little character and creatives failed to develop his character further than being an underdog, during his feud with Strowman.

Since they started booking him as this overanxious guy, i've enjoyed everyone of his backstage segments and promos.
With that said, Sami is still just "another mid-carder" in my view. When he comes out, he elicits very little emotion out of me. His matches are nothing special (IMO) and you know that he is just there to put over someone else.

I wish he would change that god awful, happy go lucky entrance music followed by his stupid little two step dance to the ring. It's irritating. I love his ring work and think he deserves to be a mid card champion, but pretty much everything else sucks.

Isn't that who he has been for most of his main roster run with the exception being his time in legit feuds (e.g. Braun, KO)?

He's kind of been playing the pre-"No! No! No!" DB character and booking with the exception being anxiousness instead of nervousness.

I guess I've never noticed, he has been showing that side of him a lot more recently. Rib or not.

Seems very boring to me, no charisma.

Needs to lose the hat, and get in the weight room, and then he
might begin to pick up steam.

I think I've commented before on another post about how much I love Sami Zayn's personal attributes. I love the guy. I think we all know that awkward kind of person who doesn't really do himself or the situation any favours, but can also turn it up and be genuine and serious in time of need. Well, I suppose Zayn is always genuine. I do think though that, over time, to be taken seriously as a champion, he will need to calm it down a little bit. It's a great attribute to pull out from time to time for some funny skit, but I don't think I could take him seriously in time, and that's coming from someone who enjoys it now.

Although, I suppose it depends on who his program is with at the time. Realistically, he probably shouldn't be so blasé when feuding with guys like Strowman and Corbin, and in a way it makes more sense for him to be this giant dork when feuding with Owens because I suppose in story, he feels more comfortable. I don't know, just a thought. I do enjoy what he does, and I think very few can argue that his in-ring work isn't entertaining. I hope to see him with a title shot sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back