Why Does The WWE censor Their Old Logo?

GI Cake

Thank God For Sodamy.
After watching a ton of old WWE DVD's courtesy of Netflix. In every DVD, the WWF logo is censored out. It doesn't really concern me but it does bug me a little that the WWE are going out of their way to censor their old logo. Does anyone know exactly why they block out their logo?

yep. Because apparently the World Wildlife Foundation thinks that someone who watches a wrestling program is going to confuse their WWF with the World Wrestling Federation. The REAL WWF lost a lengthy legal battle, which is why they had to do it. Whole thing was a bit ridiculous.

wwf1.jpg

Why does the attitude era logo have to be censored, but not this one:

496820-wwf_logo.bmp.jpg

They both read "WWF", don't they?

Furthermore, why is it OK not to blur the logo as long as the DVD is marked as a "tagged classic"? It's a web of deceit and lies. I'll soon get to the bottom of this.

I'm not actually going to get to the bottom of it. If someone else could do it for me that would be great.

The block WWF logo was not part of the lawsuit. The only logo that they were required to change was this scratch logo:

ef78b439813544094886068caa115a99.jpg

no fuckin clue. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that some british judge thought that their logos were similar enough to cause brand confusion, which seems patently ridiculous enough, let alone all those damn nuances to it. If I had to take a wild shot in the dark, my guess would be that by adding the word "classics" to it, it's different enough to not be considered a violation. Just a guess though. The issue is WWF vs. WWF, not WWF vs. WWF Classics.

Clearly, the old logo is beloved by animals. I believe that Pandas are shown a tape of Roddy Piper promos circa '85 to get them into thunderous heat.

Clearly, that is the answer to your question. You're welcome. Goodnight.

Like many have already said, they're legally required to.

It is funny, though, when someone who's been around a while like Bret, Vince, or Cole slips up and says "WWF" on television.

Tagged Classics can be sold unblurred because they are made by Silvervision (Third party) and not by the WWE. The only thing WWE does is allow which past videos/DVD's can be re released as a tagged classic.

On a side note to anyone from the US who collects WWE DVD's get tagged classics they are a hell of a lot better because not only is WWF mentions/logo's uncensored the music used on the original video/DVD stays the same. You can import them from Amazon UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back