Why does our culture thrive on bad news compared to good?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
I don't editorialize much, per se, as I generally provide articles with the details, give a short opinion, then turn it over to you. Every once in awhile I will, as I did with Paul Walker, and it's something I'm going to try and do a few times a week with a relevant eye pointed towards current events. In this case, there are three seperate events from the past few days that have bothered me greatly, so I want to talk about them, and hopefully you will with me.

I lived in the city of Beaver, Pennsylvania for several years, which is about an hour or so from where I live now. So it was with horror as I watched the news this afternoon at my office and saw extensive coverage being given to the case of an 18 year old boy who raped and physically assaulted an 85 year old nun, from a church I'm fairly familar with as well. I don't need to get into the story, as I think we can all agree that what this young man did was heinous, and he deserves to rot in jail. No, my problem was with what was reported after. I've testified inside the Beaver County Courthouse on both Child Welfare/Custody cases and on court-appointed felons as well. The Courthouse is huge, the courtrooms themselves are huge, and I got lost in there many times. Why is this relevant? Because the young man's first appearance(outside of arraignment) was scheduled to be in front of a judge today, but it was postponed so it could be moved to a larger venue. Why? To accomodate the large throngs of expected people with special interest in this case, both reporters and observers alike. The boy raped a nun, for goodness sakes, and while I'm all for freedom of the press, speech, and right to assemble, I don't understand for the life of me why people would want to hear the grisly details of how an 18 year old raped a nun. As for the extra reporters, many of those expected that necessitated a change of venue to a larger facility were from out of state. Of what relevance is it to out-of-state news sites? It's bad enough that the nun will have to relive the memory every day for the rest of her life, but to be forced to travel out of town just to accomodate reporters and those with "interest" in the case? Granted, it's not every day an 18 year old rapes an 85 year old, especially a nun, but when it comes time for the accused getting to face his accuser, must it be done in such a large venue? I'd think if ever a time a case came up for a closed courtroom, this would be it. Instead, this nun who's dedicated her life to doing good will have her story reported on from here to North Carolina to Maine, and for what end? To present a story on page 9 of out-of-town news?

The second is the case of Paul Walker, which I wrote about in great length yesterday. While his death was a big deal, obviously, I had heard nothing of the benefit he was attending prior to, nor had I heard of the charity it was for, which happened to be his own. While celebrities and fans mourned in what all accounts was a good and humble man, news outlets and social bloggers dug in like hyenas and chastised Walker for his relationship with his girlfriend 17 years his younger, one he alledgedly began a relationship with when she was underage. Walker can't exactly defend himself now, can he, so the only people affected by this are innocent parties, such as his daughter, family, and his girlfriend. Further, why was this something that by all accounts only came out now, after his death? It sickens me that reporters and bloggers alike may have used Walker's death to capitilize on this story.

The third is the Phil Robertson comments, he of Duck Dynasty fame. His comments on his reigious beliefs, specifically on homosexuality, had people up in arms by the tens of thousands. Robertson's views, misguided perhaps, were said with no malice intended. The more I think about it, he was simply commenting on his faith, and what his scripture dictates. He noted several times that he held no animosity towards people who differ from him, noting in fact that he loves them. Be it due to the outcry of people angered by him, however, he was suspended from his show by A&E. Was he somewhat discriminatory? I guess so, if you look long and hard enough. But what's less reported, and gets far less air-time, is Robertson's philanthropic efforts, and him using his celebrity status(and his own money) to travel in his spare time to share the gospel of his religion. But when he comments on his beliefs of a controversial part of his religion, the press is all over it.

So why do we as a people love negative press, yet largely ignore the positive? Sure, we have our feel good stories, ones about hometown kids done good, or heroes who've saved lives. But by and large, they're not controversial. They don't unfortunately, stir up the feelings inside us that the raping of an 85 year old nun does. It's a crazy world we live in, so by and large, the news as we know it gets crazier every day, and it's what sells. It's what gets hits on a blog.

Second, there's a weird sense of comfort, I believe, in feeling good about ourselves in comparison to other people. Yes, I might have done this or that, but I've never raped a nun.Not in this particular case, but I am guilty of this line of thinking. It's not justifying our actions, for most, but it's a way of alleviating guilt and minimizing them. If we can look at someone who raped a nun, we don't look so bad in comparison! And it's this mindset that leads to more negative press, as some will always justify their actions as being "not as bad" as others.

Third and finally, I believe our culture has a weird obsession with seeing celebrities fail. I myself have hoped Chris Brown slips up, so he gets sent to jail. We look at the Amy Winehouse's of the world, and even after he death, we're quick to judge her. Be it the pastor caught with a prostitute or Paul Walker's alledged statutory rape 7 years ago, it's almost as if there's a sense of satisfaction in seeing celebrities fall. Again, I'm guilty. When I see a headline for a wrestler violating a wellness policy, I've been eager to find out who. There are people, as our message boards attest, who would be downright gleeful if John Cena ever failed a Wellness Test. Why? Are we so interested in seeing reputations tarnished that we look for anything, anywhere, that may be dirt on a person? Based on personal experience and what I see in the media, I believe it to be so.

I'm just as guilty, as 99% of what I write about in here is of the negative persuasion. And it's time I change that. While I may not find a story that's positive, per se, I plan on looking for the good that's come out of it, or has the potential to.

Until you stop replying, of course. Then it's back to the negative stuff. ;)

Thoughts on this? Do you agree or disagree with me?

I look forward to your responses, and please, don't hesitate to challenge my viewpoints. I can handle it, and always like a good debate.

I enjoyed your writing, I really did, but I think all (or at least most) of your questions can be answered with a fairly simple and blunt statement.

People are assholes, in terms of general collective.

A person is smart, people... people are dumb.

You're not asking a tough question at all, because for every single person that agrees with you, there will be ten, fifty or even a hundred that will have your message go in through one ear and out the other.

For instance: Oh Lord, a conservative Christian stated their views regarding... guess what, conservative Christian beliefs. What did people expect him to say, I mean... really?

10n830x.gif

I'd say pretty much what DarksideEric said, humans are a quite silly bunch of creatures when treated as a whole.

That, and there's also a point to be made about the fact that controversy and shocking news is more exciting and interesting to hear about than normal everyday people being good. There's actually not the gigantic overload of negative news that everyone seems to think, it's more like a 60-40 spread of bad against good news, but it seems that way because the bad news that shocks you or is about a celebrity you know doing something stupid sticks in your mind while the normal stuff doesn't.

It pretty much simplifies to this: "Little Johnny put his sister's cat in a blender becausr he wants a new video game console" and "Little Johnny's school saves local stray kittens and finds good homes for them"

What sticks more in your mind when you see those two headlines in the newspaper?

For the first case I think it's totally ridiculous that they are moving the trial to another location for that reason. I think that's incredibly stupid. If it isn't to give someone a fair trial or to protect someone involved in the case then there is no reason to move the trial. In a case like that I hope that the general population's interest in the case is that they want to see vindication for the woman. We see some cases that make the national news or even our local news and we want to know that they person behind the criminal acts are being put away. We want to see the legal system work. Most debates in national criminal cases are guilty or not guilty. For some reason people form an emotional investment in these things.

In the Paul Walker case after I made my post yesterday I did some more looking to see if the whole underage girlfriend thing was ever an issue before and the earliest I saw it mentioned was in 2009. So I guess technically it's not a new thing. I think the reason it became a bigger deal is because people probably weren't as aware of it back then. Since his name was everywhere when he died and her age and the length of their relationship was posted in so many stories more people were starting to become aware of it. Honestly a lot of people wouldn't even know who he was if he hadn't died. If we're talking honestly he didn't have the name recognition that Vin Diesel has. So it's just that more people have become aware of him which is causing that story to spread farther and to more people.

For the Phil Robertson guy homosexuality is a major hot button issue in America right now. People are going to latch onto anything they can with that one way or the other. It's probably a bigger deal that he said something about it because of the popularity of Duck Dynasty. If H. Jon Benjamin (Voice of Bob on Bob's Burgers) made the exact same comments it wouldn't have gotten this much attention because he's far less recognizable than the Duck Dynasty guy.

I think part of it is also media responsibility. If the media was only providing positive stories then they would be accused of hiding information and other types of things by the population. Even with all the stuff that is already reported there are tons of conspiracies about coverups and such. If these stories weren't put out that would just add fuel to the fire.

Last negative stories often spark debate and change. It seems like whenever something bad happens people want to talk about it. People take sides. I bet every story you posted up there people could take sides on and talk about why they are wrong or right. In the first one obviously the crime itself we would all agree is bad but I'm sure there are people out there that would make arguments about the trial being moved as being right or wrong, we've discussed the other two stories on this forum already.

Usually when positive stories come out most people just say how good they are and move on from it.

I agree there should be more positive stories reported on but I also like to know what's going on around me. I don't like to be oblivious to the world and pretend everything out there is okay.

We talked about this some months ago on the forum. Bad news is what we say we don't want to hear, yet it's what people tune in to see.

People complain about the local news they see on TV, saying: "Why don't they ever tell about good things?" Well, feedback provided to the networks has proven that if they stick to good news, viewers don't tune in; they'll go to the network that tells them about the violence, mayhem, gloom & doom. Bad news = ratings.

One of the small, regional Connecticut newspapers has a section called "Community" for folks who like to read about the good things people are doing. In it, you get reports on the achievements of students, neighborhood bright spots that feature local people they know, and updates on local people in the military. It's a terrific section, yet the editors tell me that feedback has indicated it's by far the poorest read section of their newspaper. So much for folks complaining about being provided only bad news.

I don't know why we want to hear and read about the bad things.....and I have no idea if it's because it makes us feel better to learn that others are worse off than we are.......but one thing's for sure; if you want to know about some child who fell down a well in Kansas or an old person who was cheated out of her life savings by a caretaker in her family, you don't have to look very far to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back