Why are the WWE still making John Cena out to be Eminem?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Well one of this years Wrestlemania themes will be Eminem's "Legacy" song from his new LP. Which the track is featured to the soundtrack of the John Cena-Bray Wyatt/Wyatt family feud. But ever since John Cena debuted in the WWE 12 years ago the WWE tried to capitalize on Cena's urban appeal. John Cena has rapping skills, lives/lived Hip-Hop, and came out with his own LP entitled "You can't see me" back in 2005. We've seen Cena dress up as rapper Vanilla Ice on Holloween of 2002 on Smackdown. And is from the same area as Marky Mark and has a rap group (the Chain Gang)much like how Marky Mark had. John Cena has a strong acting resume as well.

Does anyone remember back in 2003 during John Cena's feud with then-WWE champion Brock Lesner in where Cena cut a promo on Brock in his personal trailer while he was healing from his knee injury by the hands of Lesner sitting in a wheelchair with a poster of Marshall Mathers himself Eminem in the background. But as we've seen over the years during Cena's mega-super push to the moon, the WWE still likes to compare Cena to Eminem. Does anyone still remember John Cena's entrance at Wrestlemania 25? Will the real John Cena please stand up? So in your opinion.

Every single thing you mentioned was at least five years ago. WWE hasn't even come close to comparing Cena to Eminem since then. And when they did, I think it was because that was his... gimmick...

The last time I remember the WWE making John Cena return to his Doctor of Thuganomics gimmick was for a one or two time shot against The Rock during his feud leading up to Wrestlemania 28.

Bray Wyatt's gimmick relies heavily on psychology and he is using that in his promos. He is trying to get inside of Cena's head by exposing him as a fraud and he is mentioning the old school Cena rapper gimmick to do that. John Cena has been headlining or co-headlining Wrestlemania since Wrestlemania 21.

How can we possibly believe that Bray Wyatt stands a chance against John Cena who defeated The Rock in the main event for the WWE Championship? The match John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt initially looked like a rather lackluster mid-card match on paper but it has become so much more than that.

Basically, when it comes down to it, Eminem has one of the highest, if not the highest social media scores ever (over 84,000,000 Facebook likes and 17,500,000 Twitter followers) which WWE loves of course. Eminem is touring soon with Rihanna and is playing MetLife Stadium, home of Wrestlemania 29.

WWE has struck up a deal with Eminem to get the edgy song "Legacy" from his latest release, "The Marshall Mathers LP 2." to be one of the official songs of Wrestlemania XXX. It is truly "best for business" because people who may have stopped listening to Eminem may now have a rekindled interest in Eminem after his fall off after 8 Mile.

Vince McMahon will probably have Eminem tweeting and doing Facebook posts saying to download the WWE App and to watch Wrestlemania XXX which should get a good percentage of Eminem fans to at least give WWE a chance. The bottom line is that it's great marketing. OH IT'S TRUE, IT'S DAMN TRUE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

You forgot to mention that Eminem has issues with his mom and they always have John Cena bringing his dad ringside even though it inevitably means that his dad is going to get his head beat in by Randy Orton. Coincidence? I think not. :banghead:

John Cena used to have a white rapper gimmick, Eminem is a white rapper. That correlation ended for the most part five plus years ago. Eminem and his music are very popular and fit in well with pro wrestling. Cena may even like Eminem's music but let us not make more of this than it is.

Like someone said, everything mentioned here is from almost 5-10 years ago. What do you mean "still?" Yeah sure he was the Dr. of Thugonomics once or something in his war of words with the Rock two years ago but that was for nostalgia.

I see absolutely no comparison to Eminem whatsoever. Eminem has been back in the public eye over the last 5 years because he's released 3 albums in that time frame. Maybe WWE just enjoyed the song and they'll pay for it since it belongs to one of the biggest artists in music history. That's all there is to it. They're not comparing anything, it's just cross-promotion.

Along with what everyone else said, which is true, I think it's because of what the song is about that they're using it for their video packages. Cena has been cutting promos about his Legacy and how he's defending it and how to become a top player in this business you have to go through him. The Eminem song is called Legacy and while a lot of the subject matter between the song and Cena's recent promos aren't similar the hook, tempo, and the song sonically fit the feel of the WM match. I don't see how this is a comparison to Eminem at all. I think it was just a recent song they felt would fit the video packages and I believe it does.

>WWE uses an Eminem theme song for Cena-Wyatt feud
>They push Cena as Eminem.

I realize that hatred to Cena and why people dislike him and such, and I tend to dislike him more than I like, but this is just ******ed.

The simple answer- They're not.

The entire Bray Wyatt-John Cena Wrestlemania match is focused around John Cena's legacy, and Wyatt's desire to end it. The idea between Wyatt just making Cena out to be a fraud to having him try to destroy his legacy has taken what was once a shallow build into a major match. Bray's character relies so much on psychology that the idea of him ending Cena's legacy is entirely believable, despite Cena being a 14 time World Champion.

If you recall, Cena has even mentioned that he's afraid of Bray Wyatt. There's been no rapping on Wyatt the way he did on Rock, no silliness. Cena has been straightforward and direct, not resorting to a rapping gimmick whatsoever. He hasn't used that gimmick since 2005, which was nine years ago.

I'm 31 now, I was 22 at the time. It feels like a lifetime ago.

Further, Eminem's song Legacy was just introduced as a theme song for Wrestlemania last week. Eminem and Cena hardly claim the same legacy, a further argument against them 'Trying to make Cena into Eminem.' It's simply that the song goes in depth about Eminem's legacy, and for Cena, his legacy and what he leaves behind is more important to him than anything, they're pushing, even the WWE Title.

The song being used as the theme for the feud is the beginning and the end of the Cena and Eminem correlation. To suggest further is sensationally absurd.

John Cena was what you'd get if you had an elephant paint a caricature of the B-Rabbit character from 8-Mile, he has since evolved into the WWE's current "I'm so fucking in love with myself" character. I don't think that John was ever meant to be Eminem, Eminem doesn't battle rap.

Eminem's song is being used to hype Wrestlemania, and is not so coincidentally being tied into John's match with Bray Wyatt. I don't see this as an attempt to draw parallels between John and Eminem, I see this as the context of Eminem's song "Legacy" being compared to the idea of John questioning his faith in himself.

Oh? Legacy isn't about an over pro-wrestler facing the doubt that threatens his purpose? No shit, this is the WWE we're talking about. Last week it was "Hope is not dead!" and now it's "Oh shit! I'm afraid of Bray Wyatt after-all! D'oh!"

They're not trying to make John look like a successful rapper, they're trying to hype his match with a catchy tune.

Cena has been straightforward and direct, not resorting to a rapping gimmick whatsoever. He hasn't used that gimmick since 2005, which was nine years ago.

Not trying to bring back any repressed memories, but John did his battle rap thing a couple years ago when he was in his first feud with The Rock.

Let's not pretend that John is over his dreams of being taken seriously as a battle rapper. My guess as to why he didn't free style on Bray Wyatt is because the only people who enjoy John Cena rapping are suburbanite shit heads who wear upside down visors and try to write freestyles of their own during Sunday school.

Not trying to bring back any repressed memories, but John did his battle rap thing a couple years ago when he was in his first feud with The Rock.
There's been no rapping on Wyatt the way he did on Rock, no silliness.
Even at my advanced age of 31, I still managed to make mention of it in my first post. And I think you're confused as to what a "battle rap" is. It's two men, face to face, trading insults while rapping. When did this happen?

Let's not pretend that John is over his dreams of being taken seriously as a battle rapper.
He hasn't battle rapped in 9 years, he's in his mid-thirties now, not his twenties. People change, I know I have.

Proof of the change? He hasn't "battle rapped" anyone since 2005. He rapped on Rock as a throwback on two separate occasions, but that's evidence Cena wants to be taken serious as an aforementioned rapper as much as there's evidence Rock wants to make a career as a guitar player and song-writer.

Seems pretty silly now to even conjure the thought, doesn't it? ;)

My guess as to why he didn't free style on Bray Wyatt is because the only people who enjoy John Cena rapping are suburbanite shit heads who wear upside down visors and try to write freestyles of their own during Sunday school.
Or, you know, he hasn't done so in 9 years, and he's cut 583 serious promos since then that haven't involved rapping.

[YOUTUBE]X__Czes17Fw[/YOUTUBE]
One of the 583.

John Cena has nothing to do with Eminem although it does seem fitting to use this song as hype song for the feud. It's being used because of the title of the song, "Legacy" because that is what John is fighting for. Bray Wyatt is the big bad monster heel taking on the Super Hero in John Cena, what's wrong with a little Eminem? you're looking too much into it dude.

No-one thought maybe the song was used because...it SUITS the situation? In fact, I was listening to the song earlier, and come to the conclusion, damn, this song REALLY suits Cena right now.

They're using it because it suits and because Eminem is a MAINSTREAM name, it's more advertising for them. There's no comparison to eminem here, just a fitting song for a fitting feud.

I don't know, but looking back on the rapper gimmick and really any connection between Cena and rap, it's absolutely hilarious how out of touch and corny the people writing for WWE are when it comes to urban culture lol.

They aren't. Eminem is a big name with a recent release. Nothing more, nothing less. The song fits the feud. You're reading too much into it with too much bias. Breathe, take a step back, and try to look objectively.

Let's not pretend that John is over his dreams of being taken seriously as a battle rapper. My guess as to why he didn't free style on Bray Wyatt is because the only people who enjoy John Cena rapping are suburbanite shit heads who wear upside down visors and try to write freestyles of their own during Sunday school.
The fuck? The only thing he's ever come across as wanting to be is a WWE wrestler. I don't think he has much of an itch to be a huge rapper. Plus he had about as successful a rap career as a pro wrestler can have.

I feel like the Cena hate is a lot like the Obama hate. It's so irrational that you make no sense after a while and start making wild accusations that are just plain batshit crazy.

It's because the John Cena character was modeled after Eminem who Cena was a fan of. The WWE originally intended him to appeal to the middle class white kids who liked rap demographic which was very big circa 2003.

Its the same demographic Mathers himself capitalized on to become rich all be it unintentionally. When Eminem sided with the likes of Dr Dre, it gave him credibility in the eyes of some black people. Couple that with the fact he is white gave him mass appeal.
Other rap artists have pointed this out in their music.

If Eminem/Slim Shady/Marshal Mathers didn't exist the John Cena gimmick wouldn't have worked and Cena probably would have been seen as a joke.

Eminem actually somewhat de-stigmatized the white rapper idea by making it cool and that helped in a big way toward John Cena himself gaining popularity and be accepted by fans black and white.

Cena is virtually a wrestler version of Eminem. Once he got popular by being Eminem in wrestling, Cena then turned to the make a wish foundation superhero gimmick and got all the kids on side but he got a huge head start because of his similarities to Eminem.
Like it or not.

It's because the John Cena character was modeled after Eminem who Cena was a fan of. The WWE originally intended him to appeal to the middle class white kids who liked rap demographic which was very big circa 2003.

Its the same demographic Mathers himself capitalized on to become rich all be it unintentionally. When Eminem sided with the likes of Dr Dre, it gave him credibility in the eyes of some black people. Couple that with the fact he is white gave him mass appeal.
Other rap artists have pointed this out in their music.

If Eminem/Slim Shady/Marshal Mathers didn't exist the John Cena gimmick wouldn't have worked and Cena probably would have been seen as a joke.

Eminem actually somewhat de-stigmatized the white rapper idea by making it cool and that helped in a big way toward John Cena himself gaining popularity and be accepted by fans black and white.

Cena is virtually a wrestler version of Eminem. Once he got popular by being Eminem in wrestling, Cena then turned to the make a wish foundation superhero gimmick and got all the kids on side but he got a huge head start because of his similarities to Eminem.
Like it or not.

While I agree that Eminem's success helped get the gimmick of the rapper Cena off the ground, I disagree with most of the rest of what you said. I think Cena's character was more of a Marky Mark rip off than an Eminem rip off. Just bc he played a white rapper at the same time eminem was hugely popular does not mean he was ever wrestling's eminem. Hell, just listen to Eminem's music, if there was a wrestling character made to mimic him that character should be dark and disturbed mentally. When Cena debuted, he was much more fun and comical.

While I agree that Eminem's success helped get the gimmick of the rapper Cena off the ground, I disagree with most of the rest of what you said. I think Cena's character was more of a Marky Mark rip off than an Eminem rip off. Just bc he played a white rapper at the same time eminem was hugely popular does not mean he was ever wrestling's eminem. Hell, just listen to Eminem's music, if there was a wrestling character made to mimic him that character should be dark and disturbed mentally. When Cena debuted, he was much more fun and comical.

Yeah but Cena was intended to capitalize on the wave of popularity that Eminem created.

What wave did Marky Mark create? Where was Marky Mark in 2003? How many 16 year old were going to the store to pick up the latest Marky Mark Record in 2003?

Thats right none so for marketing purposes who do you think they based Cena on?

They were capitalizing in Eminem's popularity not his music. Cena was loosely based on Eminem not a direct rip off.
Marky Mark was completely off the radar by the time Cena came around. Cena was a wrestling embodiment of the popularity Eminem was spewing out.

They aren't. They are simply using Eminem's song "Legacy" for the video packages to hype up the John Cena VS Bray Wyatt match. That's it. Cena hasn't been his rapper persona for nearly 9 years at this point. He's playing the exact same character he has been since he got moved to Raw during the summer after Wrestlemania 21 and became the face of the federation. I'm not sure where you're even drawing that conclusion from. The video packages are awesome and the song is an excellent choice, but it's just for hyping up the match. It has absolutely nothing to do with Cena himself, thus the comparison you speak of doesn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back