Who's The Jackass?

LSN80

King Of The Ring
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ar-travelling-130mph-fatal-Porsche-smash.html

I only found out about the death of Ryan Dunn as I was watching Comedy Central's Roast of Charlie Sheen last night. Dunn, of Jackass and The Bam Marjera Show fame, was killed along with passenger Zachary Hartwell on June 19th, 2011. Dunn was driving his Porsche 911 at a staggering 130 mph in a 55mph zone at 2:30am in Westchester, Pennsylvania, causing said vehicle to fly off the road and into a tree, breaking the car in half. Police on the seen described the crash as the "worst they've ever seen". Autopsies of both Dunn and Hartwell(A production assistant on the JackAss movies) were inconclusive as coroners could not determine if both men died from the impact, or the subsequent fire following the crash. This much is known to be true: Dunn was shown in pictures to have been drinking, where witnesses claim he had "at least" three beers and three shots. But it's film critic Roger Ebert that has come under the most fire following Dunn's death, due to a tweet he wrote on the same day Dunn died:

Friends don't let jackasses drink and drive.

Ebert, a film critic who's previously won a Pulitzer for criticism, is a frequent tweeter on controversial subjects. But Ebert finds himself in the position of being criticized, most notably Dunn's best friend Bam Marjera. In response to Ebert's tweet, Marjera tweeted the following:

I just lost my best friend, I have been crying hysterical for a full day and piece of shit roger ebert has the gall to put in his 2 cents.

For those unaware, Marjera was referring to Ebert's history as an alcoholic. Ebert himself has in the past recounted his own history of drinking and driving. Ebert alledges he has been sober since 1989, and is a spokesman for Alcoholic's Anonymous. Between his past with being an alcoholic and his spokesman's role for AA, Ebert has been outspoken in the past about drinking and driving, and that trend continues here. Shortly after posting his tweet regarding Ebert, Marjera tweeted the following:

'Millions of people are crying right now, shut your fat fucking mouth!'

Much of the other criticism levied at Ebert has been based on the fact that Ebert was presuming Dunn was drunk at the time of his accident. The timing of his tweet has also been questioned, as his tweet was posted just 6 hours after Dunn's death. Another notable celebrity that has been outspoken about Ebert has been celebrity blogger Perez Hilton:

“We think there’s no reason – especially RIGHT NOW – that anyone should be pointing fingers or poking fun at a truly tragic situation. Everyone makes mistake(s), and this is somebody’s son. Too soon, Roger.”

Regarding the criticism that Ebert assumed Dunn was drinking, photographs surfaced before Ebert's tweet of Dunn drinking, and eyewitness accounts emerged the following day that have stated Dunn had at least 6 drinks, possibly more. Ebert never stated that Dunn was driving drunk in his initial tweet, just that he drank and drove. Toxicology reports later confirmed that Dunn was indeed drunk at the time of the accident, with a BAL of .161, twice the legal limit. Ebert did apologize for the timing of his tweet, while holding to his position:
“To begin with, I offer my sympathy to Ryan Dunn’s family and friends and to those of Zachary Hartwell, who also died in the crash. I mean that sincerely. It is tragic to lose a loved one. I also regret the timing of my tweet, and that others have regarded it as cruel. It was not intended as cruel. It was intended as true.”

Ebert also tweeted the following, expanding on his first tweet:

I wasn’t calling Ryan Dunn a jackass. In Twitter shorthand, I was referring to his association with ‘Jackass.’ I thought that was clear. I note that Bam Margera uses the word ‘jackass’ in the same way in his tweet.
I do know that nobody has any business driving on a public highway at 130 m.p.h., as some estimated- or fast enough, anyway, to leave a highway and fly through 40 yards of trees before crashing.

Was it too soon for Ebert to have commented? I don't believe so. These things do happen and likely come as second nature to someone who's in the public eye because of their criticism of film and others. I believe Ebert would have been best served had he tweeted the beginning of his second tweet before saying anything else. Friends and family of Dunn's had just lost someone beloved, and condolences should have been offerred first and foremost. I also understand Marjera's emotional response, as mine would likely have been similar had it been my best friend.

But, in my eyes, the truth of the matter is this: Had it had been LSN from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania making the comment Ebert did, there would be little to no backlash. I'm a nobody in the sense that Im unknown to the people who matter in the entertainment industry. Because the comment was made by a celebrity in Roger Ebert, the ire of others was drawn. Lost in all of this is the fact that Ebert spoke the truth.

If Ryan Dunn hadn't been a "celebrity", the criticism would have been fast and furious. The official police ruling as the cause of the accident was a DUI. It was sheer luck and good fortune as well as the late hour that someone else was not on that road at the same time. If Dunn had survived the accident and had killed someone else, would people be so critical of Ebert tweeting soon after? What Marjera and others critical of Ebert haven't discussed is that Dunn did take a life because of his drinking and wrecklessness. As noted earlier, Dunn wasn't alone in death. Dunn's actions also cost Zachary Hartwell his life, almost completely overlooked in this story, garnering nary a mention by most. Instead, there's been a Twitter war between Marjara and Ebert and friends and family talking about the loss of Dunn, and of how great of guy Dunn was.

Anyone who alledges Ebert was insensitive without mentioning the death of Hartwell because of Dunn's actions is being hypocritical. Where are the condolences and mourning for Hartwell, who all of them knew? I won't presume to know the circumstances that preceeded the crash. Hartwell may have been more intoxicated then Dunn, and he may have been encouraging Dunn to drive faster. Impossible to know. What we do know is that it was the actions of Dunn that cost Hartwell his life, making him the true victim here. Regardless of what was said or done, Dunn was behind the wheel and made the decision to drive at a rediculously high speed. None of the members of Dunn's family or friends have even mentioned his actions, as if his actions are excusable because he was killed. The facts speak for themselves here: I understand Marjera was(and probably still is) mourning the death of his friend, but he was essentially pissed off because someone dared speak the truth about HIS friend. What if Dunn had hit another vehicle and killed other innocent people? What if Dunn had lived after killing someone else? He would surely have been charged with vehicular homicide and DUI. Everyone would be tearing him to bits in the media, most likely even his closest friends to some extent. But because he died at his own hands, it is now taboo to speak the truth about his stupid choices?

Ryan Dunn is the true jackass here, regardless of beloved he was by his friends and family. He drank, drove drunk, and two people died. That matters most here.

Who do you believe is the real jackass here?

Was Ebert insensitive in his comments, and did his comments come too soon following Dunn's death?

Any other thoughts about this are open to discussion.

Let's see...Roger Ebert was 100% right. Was his text insensitive? Yeah. But was any of it refuted by the facts? Nope. All Ebert did was make people mad at him. Dunn and Heartwell are responsible for their own deaths by being total dumbasses who didn't see the problem with driving while pulling a .161. I feel bad for Bam and their respective families, but Roger Ebert didn't force them to drive. They did that all on their own. I gotta side with Ebert on this one. Driving drunk or getting into a car with someone drunk who you let drive is by far a bigger jackass move than a fucking tweet.

I have seen many threads and debates about this topic, but I agree with what Roger Ebert said. I just think he picked the wrong time to say it. It was awful what happened, but Dunn was behind the wheel double the legal alcohol limit and was speeding over 100 mph. There is no excuse for that no matter who you are. Dunn probably has done this for years and has got away with it. This time he wasn't so lucky and neither was his unfortunate passenger Zachary Hartwell that rode with him. So everyone lacked good judgment here and it costs them their lives.

Lost in all of this is the fact that Ebert spoke the truth.

When Political Correctness rears its head, the truth becomes secondary to making sure no one's feelings get hurt. Never mind that Dunn was apparently drinking to access when he got behind the wheel. Never mind that he drove recklessly and without regard to himself, his passenger, and others who might have been on the road. Never mind that he cost the passenger his life.

No, forget about all that. Instead, what are people worried about?.....That Roger Ebert criticized Dunn too soon after his death. Maybe if Ebert had waited 10 more minutes, it would have been okay to talk about it. Or maybe he should hold off for 2 weeks. Or 2 months.

Was Ebert insensitive? I don't believe so, but if you eliminate PC from the equation, it becomes clear that it doesn't really matter whether he's insensitive or not, as long as he's telling the truth, as he believes it. His forum isn't a court of law, he can call them as he sees them.

Ryan Dunn was the jackass for drinking and driving in the first place. Rogert Ebert's comment may have came at a bad time but it was absolutely 100% true. When you mix gratuitous amounts of alcohol and a Porsche 911 GT3, you're gonna have a problem. I saw comments and quotes saying "Dunn went out in true Jackass style." or "Dunn went out like a badass." Pure fucking ignorance if you ask me. He cost another man his life by going out and driving his porsche at excess over 100+ mph. Drinking and driving is NEVER okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back