Who's had the more disappointing career, Ken Griffey Jr. or Grant Hill?

KillBill

Getting Noticed By Management
After I started the post about Griffey being one of the greats, I started thinking about Grant Hill as well. Its scary how much they're careers have been so similiar.
1. They both were top players in their respective sports, when they came into the league, there was no ceiling for either.
2. They both had amazing starts, Griffey was well on his way to becoming the homerun king, while others were considering Hill as the next Micheal Jordan, with great play and many all-star appearances.
3. The year 2000. After each had been with his team their entire careers, they were traded to new teams.
4. Everything fell apart after that. There were high hopes for the magic, as Grant Hill was added to a team that already had McGrady and Patrick Ewing, and Griffey went to a young Reds team with high hopes as well. Then the injury bug. Griffey hurt everything, while Hill had the problem with his ankle. They played very little, neither having a complete healthy season, the closest either came was last year, this year for Hill.
5. Neither has one a championship, and were never even close.

Its hard to say for me, I guess I would say Griffey because he was definately gonna shatter all hr records. For Hill there was never gonna be a Jordan, but a healthy Hill would have been great, and that Magic team should have one at least 1 title. Its sad, they are good guys and great ambassodors for their respective sports, I would want them on my team in a heartbeat.

Hill. The difference with Hill is that he never had a ton of injuries. He had one injury that never heeled properly. Griffey hurt just about every part of his body. Both took the big money contracts, but to be fair, Hill has given easily the majority of his injury years salary to charity. Not sure if Griffey has done that or not but he very well may have. Both are hardly failures but it's really just a case of what could ahve been? You take Hill and put him with a healthy McGrady and it's not will they win a title, it's how many games do they get within setting the all time record in a season. Amazing to see how far you can fall. However, he's having a very nice run with Phoenix. Good to see him still contributing.

Grant Hill, without a shadow of a doubt.

When Griffey suffered his first injury (broken wrist after crashing in to the wall), he was on his way to being the greatest player ever ofr baseball. He had the swing that people paid to see, and kids tried to duplicate. He had the range and arm in the field that would make Tom Emansky cream himself. He hit for power and average, and was a young leader on an up-and-coming team.

Grant Hill was a great player, but he was never the best in the game, and wasn't even the best at his position when he got hurt. He was a fan-favorite, and could have had a great career, and been a perennial all-star, but I don't think anyone ever saw him going to the Hall of Fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back