Who was the better Attitude Era writer: Vince Russo or Chris Kreski?

Sweettre15

Pre-Show Stalwart
Even though Mcmahon was indeed filtering Russo, those storylines still sadly go to his name due to them being formed from basic ideas of his and the storylines he takes credit for are:

- Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon feud

- The Undertaker vs. Kane feud

- D-Generation X vs The Corporation feud

- The Rise of The Rock

- The Mick Foley saga

and just the whole "Crash TV" style with overbooked interferences, sexualized content, shorter matches, "on a pole" matches etc.

Chris Kreski on the other hand was mostly credited for

- The Triple H/Kurt Angle/Stephanie love triangle(though Stephanie took over as head writer in Unforgiven 2000 before it was completely finished)

- The Triple H/Cactus Jack Feud

- The entire Mcmahon/Helmsley storyline

- The Tag Team Scene with NAO, Hardy Boys, Dudley Boys, Too Cool, Acolytes, and Edge/Christian

- The Angle/Benoit/Jericho feud

- The introduction/integration of The Radicals

- Getting Steve Blackman over while pairing him with Al Snow

- Eddie Guerrero and Chyna

- The Jericho and Chyna storyline with both the team up and the feud

He was also generally known for the more soap opera style of storyline with less Raunch and longer matches than during Russo's time.

In my personal opinion, Chris Kreski was MILES better despite people backstage mocking him for storyboarding everything extensively the way he did.

What are your thoughts and Who did y'all feel was better?

Vince Russo, hands down. When I look at that list of storylines, what stands out to me is the impact of Russo's feuds. Those are legendary storylines. McMahon-Austin is the greatest feud of all time and Undertaker-Kane is one of the best storylines of all time. And who knows who Rock and Foley would be today if Russo wasn't the catalyst behind them. You show "newer" wrestling fans that same list, the majority wouldn't even recognize most of Kreski's. Russo's, on the other hand, are landmarks that any wrestling fan should be aware of.

At the same time though, The Mcmahon-Helmsley storyline and whatnot are also well remembered and had their great qualities. The way I see it, Russo helped build a foundation for that era with those well know feuds but Kreski took it to the next level once Russo left.

Have never taken any interest in or paid attention to exactly who the writers are, I had never even heard of Chris Kreski's name but having looked at the angles he's been credited with I have to go with Kreski. Those were my favourite storylines of that era. Russo was the spark that lit many of the most memorable storylines in WWF/E history but the clinchers for me are the McMahon/Helmsley and Cactus/Triple H angles. Those were absolute classics.

I don't know who Kreski is either and I have admit I didn't watch as extensively in late 2000 on as I did in 97-early 00 but I have to go with Russo even though as you said Vince had the final say of what went and what didn't. I think Russo's ultimate credit was that everyone had a storyline. Whether it be Austin and Taker or Val Venis and Steve Blackman. Everyone had a feud going and everyone had a niche.

I don't know who Kreski is either and I have admit I didn't watch as extensively in late 2000 on as I did in 97-early 00 but I have to go with Russo even though as you said Vince had the final say of what went and what didn't. I think Russo's ultimate credit was that everyone had a storyline. Whether it be Austin and Taker or Val Venis and Steve Blackman. Everyone had a feud going and everyone had a niche.

Well then you need to watch alot of old 2000 through early 2001. In the same vein everyone, had a role but Kreski went in a more "soap opera" route as opposed to the full blown Jerry Springer route like Russo did and DIDNT show contempt for wrestling matches like Russo.Kreski even had no problem giving side feuds to certain wrestlers while not losing track of any. For instance, When Jericho became a thorn in HHH and X-pac's side, he still was in the midst of feuds with Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle or while The Rock was feuding with HHH, he seemed to damn near simultaneously be feuding with Kurt Angle. Then again that can kinda be attributed to the fact that the power struggle angle lended itself to that since it was the Mcmahon-Helmsley faction against the rest of the locker room for the most part. Also, Kreski mostly kept to himself outside of his work and that's why alot dont know him by name except for those willing to check for him.

Obviously they all balanced each other out, but i don't think its a grand statement to say that Russo was at least in part, responsible for the more iconic storylines.

Not to diminish the work Kreski did, but without those 5 Russo examples alone, the Attitude era wouldn't have been the Attitude era.

ill go one better. Jim cornette. The best year of wwe was 1997 and he was booking for the majority of the year. Infact russo wasn't even on the team untill the last 5 months.

ill go one better. Jim cornette. The best year of wwe was 1997 and he was booking for the majority of the year. Infact russo wasn't even on the team untill the last 5 months.

That's great, but the poll is between Vince Russo and Chris Kreski. Read the OP.

Despite my dislike for Russo, I'd have to pick him, solely for really upping the game of the WWE in challenge to WCW. That period of time he was working with the WWE was more crucial than any work Kreski did, which was during the slow death of WCW.

As soon as I saw Vinnie Ru's name mentioned in the thread title, I knew some hillbilly would mention James E.
The undisputed King of self-promotion, James E. has managed to convince the less astute that he has some kind of aptitude for producing money drawing, star enhancing angles...and they never happened.

Jim Cornette has no place what so ever in any discussion regarding great bookers/writers for the simple fact that not a single angle devised by Corny drew a single dime. Ever.

Just look at his baby, Smokey Mountain Wrestling.

During it's entire existence, it was never profitable even with stars such as Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker on loan from the WWF.
I mean, Corny for a time, was the envy of Promoters worldwide with his tremendous working agreement with Vinnie Mac and the WWF and still couldn't turn a profit.

Sure, His body of work as a performer speaks for itself, as a kid, I personally thoroughly enjoyed His work alongside Fuji and Yoko and later Owen/Bulldog and Big Leon. With his animated expressions and colorful promos He added a great deal to the performers He represented. I can admit it.

Also, his work opposite HBK and Jose Lothario in '96 was gold.

However, when a Promoter was silly enough to give Cornette the pencil, they paid for it. The most recent example being the long suffering executives at Ring Of Honor.

Onto the topic at hand, Vince Russo was the single most important factor in steering the WWF in the right direction. Unlike your quote above 'dman', Vince Russo was penning promos for WWF stars as far back as 1994, But it was mid-late '95 when his influence just started to emerge on the televised product.

Although not officially a part of McMahon's brain trust until May 1996, Vinnie Ru had been contributing bits 'n' pieces here and there for quite a while beforehand. The Goldust character for starters....

I still remember the December 1996 issue of WWF Magazine and I believe it was on the final four pages of the issue that "Vic Venom" (Russo) penned a lengthy article on "Attitude" and the direction the WWF would take! A full nine and a half months before the official Attitude campaign began!

Russo was McMahon's best kept secret from 1996-1999, delivering well thought out angles and characters that didn't insult the audiences intelligence and always led to a big payoff, that would deliver PPV buys through the roof and to this day unmatched, consistently strong performances in the Nielsen's.

It truly is a shame that Russo's name has been tarnished to newer fans of the Pro Wrestling genre, thanks in no small part to Kevin Dunn's excessive and forced burial of Russo and his accomplishments on many WWE DVD releases over the years, going as far back as 2004's Monday Night Wars release.

Also, has anyone ever cared to notice how Vinnie Ru always credits the amazing performers he got to work with and the freedom's supplied to him by McMahon and his willingness to give kudos to those who helped him create his vision for 1990's Wrestling!?
Unlike a certain Southern someone who displays a keen interest in self-promotion and ego boosting who panders to the Internet fan base!

The other candidate on display here, Chris Kreski. It's unfortunate that he lost his battle with cancer several years back, as He was good at his job. The man paid great attention to detail and did the best He could whilst being supressed by the newly power mad Stephanie McMahon in the early 2000's...

Kreski performed well in the role for the most part, However nothing He did changed the business in any great way and in all fairness, was riding the wave of fan goodwill Russo left behind for him.

All I can do here is point both to my sig, and my user title here. It's true Russo was a visionary of his time, and it's true Russo gets way more flack than the guy deserves. Of course it's also true he's had a lot of bone-headed ideas, but those were [mostly] outside the WWE.

Even in today's more modern wrestling, right before Hogan came into Impact Wrestling, Russo was the guy behind the riot in the Impact-Zone; an angle that gets a lot of praise (as well it should, it was very powerful and very well-done). This was pure-100%-unfiltered Russo though; and it was glorious.

Overall, As I said before......

The main things I didnt like about Russo were:

- Him showing contempt for wrestling matches

- His use of stupid matches like the "on a pole" match

- 2 to 3 minute matches with constant interferences

- Some of his ideas seemingly coming from B-movies.

He's a man who can be great when he's bouncing ideas off of someone but not when he's allowed to do whatever he wants. WCW during 2000-2001 is my main point of reference on that.

Overall, As I said before......

The main things I didnt like about Russo were:

- Him showing contempt for wrestling matches

- His use of stupid matches like the "on a pole" match

- 2 to 3 minute matches with constant interferences

- Some of his ideas seemingly coming from B-movies.

He's a man who can be great when he's bouncing ideas off of someone but not when he's allowed to do whatever he wants. WCW during 2000-2001 is my main point of reference on that.

Russo made the "on a pole matches famous lol. He would stick anything on that pole. In all seriousness I agree with this post. Russo was just a bit too over the top at times, and he did a lot of things I didn't like. He seemed to do better with a filter. Kreski had some great ideas and some great angles, and he just didn't go as over the top as often as Russo did. He gets my vote for that.

It will be shit to assume it was all crash TV from Russo then. The Austin/McMahon is still one of the best, slowly burnt angle of all time. There was no pulling off the trigger prematurely. It was weeks before Austin would stun VKM, that too in the Garden. It would be months before Austin and VKM would square off.

The Undertaker vs Kane is the best "other-worldy family saga" done to date. It was again a slow built towards their Mania match. Mind you Kane debuted in October 97. So there was a 6 month feud very nicely built there.

The Rise of The Rock...'nuff said.

The Foley saga, is heartwarming and is a huge credit to Russo.

Of course its the talent that made all this work. I'm pretty sure they must've chopped and change and made certain scripts their own and not just follow Russo's

Still it has to be said, that's a fucking impressive resume, if its all true.

By the time Russo left it was becoming a big mess. The corporate ministry, dx, all those tag teams, the Hemsley faction. It was the same situation you would find in WCW in 2000, in TNA before BFG 2009...it seems like that is where Russo always end up....great storylines that end up in a big mess.

Having someone like Kreski come in and straighten things up was the best thing that could happen to the WWF. But like someone else said, all he had to do was to build on Russo and McMahon's foundation. Russo took the big step, the leap.

Vince Russo is the great booker though. Cornette? He didn't have one idea as good as these:
1. Heel McMahon
2. The Rock says-catchphrase
3. giving Austin free rein to do his own promos
4. pushing Mankind (the bumps he would take and the role he played in monday night wars is not always fully understood IMO)

So basically we're saying:
Russo (late '97 to mid '99) vs Kreski (mid '99 - early '01)?

Without actually knowing who can be given credit for the various storylines, I will really only comment on which years of the attitude era I personally preferred.

For me personally, I prefer years '97, '98 and early '99. I don't know if you can give Russo full credit for that, but the show seemed much more 'RAW' (pun intended), and unpredictable than it would become later on. It literally felt like can't miss TV week in and week out. Whether it was crash TV/sex/smut or whatever, the big angles were hot. And everything else was just mindlessly entertaining filler.

I will say, when Russo left the WWE... at some point in 1999 or early 2000, RAW did seem to have a different tone. I did notice a difference in the programming. RAW in 2000 was much different than RAW in 1998. Even with the return of Stone Cold later on in the year. Late in 2000, RAW fell into a more predictable formula that it never really has emerged from. The 'ruthless aggression' years just felt like they following whatever formula made 2000 so successful. And it eventually ran stale.

The Kreski 'era' as we're calling it had more talent though. No doubt about that. Add in guys like Angle, Guerrero, Jericho and Benoit... Not to mention the rise of the tag team division with the Hardyz, Dudleyz, and Edge & Christian. The quality of matches was much better than the shorter/sex/raunch matches earlier in the attitude era. But the big angles, the main events of McMahon-Helmsley vs The Rock or the Triple H/Stephanie/Angle triangle wasn't the same "can't miss" TV that McMahon vs Austin or Rock vs Foley was.

At least, that's my preference.

It will be shit to assume it was all crash TV from Russo then. The Austin/McMahon is still one of the best, slowly burnt angle of all time. There was no pulling off the trigger prematurely. It was weeks before Austin would stun VKM, that too in the Garden. It would be months before Austin and VKM would square off.

The Undertaker vs Kane is the best "other-worldy family saga" done to date. It was again a slow built towards their Mania match. Mind you Kane debuted in October 97. So there was a 6 month feud very nicely built there.

The Rise of The Rock...'nuff said.

The Foley saga, is heartwarming and is a huge credit to Russo.

Of course its the talent that made all this work. I'm pretty sure they must've chopped and change and made certain scripts their own and not just follow Russo's

Still it has to be said, that's a fucking impressive resume, if its all true.

Basically since Russo was mostly portrayed as being a general idea man with Mcmahon's filtering. I still think the general angles still should be accredited to him to so.......Take that for you will

As soon as I saw Vinnie Ru's name mentioned in the thread title, I knew some hillbilly would mention James E.
The undisputed King of self-promotion, James E. has managed to convince the less astute that he has some kind of aptitude for producing money drawing, star enhancing angles...and they never happened.

Jim Cornette has no place what so ever in any discussion regarding great bookers/writers for the simple fact that not a single angle devised by Corny drew a single dime. Ever.

Just look at his baby, Smokey Mountain Wrestling.

During it's entire existence, it was never profitable even with stars such as Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker on loan from the WWF.
I mean, Corny for a time, was the envy of Promoters worldwide with his tremendous working agreement with Vinnie Mac and the WWF and still couldn't turn a profit.

Sure, His body of work as a performer speaks for itself, as a kid, I personally thoroughly enjoyed His work alongside Fuji and Yoko and later Owen/Bulldog and Big Leon. With his animated expressions and colorful promos He added a great deal to the performers He represented. I can admit it.

Also, his work opposite HBK and Jose Lothario in '96 was gold.

However, when a Promoter was silly enough to give Cornette the pencil, they paid for it. The most recent example being the long suffering executives at Ring Of Honor.

Onto the topic at hand, Vince Russo was the single most important factor in steering the WWF in the right direction. Unlike your quote above 'dman', Vince Russo was penning promos for WWF stars as far back as 1994, But it was mid-late '95 when his influence just started to emerge on the televised product.

Although not officially a part of McMahon's brain trust until May 1996, Vinnie Ru had been contributing bits 'n' pieces here and there for quite a while beforehand. The Goldust character for starters....

I still remember the December 1996 issue of WWF Magazine and I believe it was on the final four pages of the issue that "Vic Venom" (Russo) penned a lengthy article on "Attitude" and the direction the WWF would take! A full nine and a half months before the official Attitude campaign began!

Russo was McMahon's best kept secret from 1996-1999, delivering well thought out angles and characters that didn't insult the audiences intelligence and always led to a big payoff, that would deliver PPV buys through the roof and to this day unmatched, consistently strong performances in the Nielsen's.

It truly is a shame that Russo's name has been tarnished to newer fans of the Pro Wrestling genre, thanks in no small part to Kevin Dunn's excessive and forced burial of Russo and his accomplishments on many WWE DVD releases over the years, going as far back as 2004's Monday Night Wars release.

Also, has anyone ever cared to notice how Vinnie Ru always credits the amazing performers he got to work with and the freedom's supplied to him by McMahon and his willingness to give kudos to those who helped him create his vision for 1990's Wrestling!?
Unlike a certain Southern someone who displays a keen interest in self-promotion and ego boosting who panders to the Internet fan base!

The other candidate on display here, Chris Kreski. It's unfortunate that he lost his battle with cancer several years back, as He was good at his job. The man paid great attention to detail and did the best He could whilst being supressed by the newly power mad Stephanie McMahon in the early 2000's...

Kreski performed well in the role for the most part, However nothing He did changed the business in any great way and in all fairness, was riding the wave of fan goodwill Russo left behind for him.

Disagree on your assessment of SMW, it produced several top talents who Cornette was able to introduce into the WWF - notably Kane, Al Snow (who got his first main exposure there), D-Lo Brown and the Headbangers were perhaps the most notable names. Kane of course needs no justification, but without the Unabomb/Snow team and the SMW working relationship things would have been very different for Taker.

D-Lo was perhaps the best example, Cornette brought him in for a small role, he proved himself in the Nation and he became the Euro-Continental champion... for a time D-Lo was a massive draw and the mid-cards most reliable worker. As someone said not sure of dates, but I am thinking Kreski was the one responsible for D-Lo's push, as Russo had used him as more of a "lackey" type.

The important thing is that no one guy can take credit for each story, as many within WWE have said in countless interviews, it's a collaborative process - nothing would have gone through from either man unfiltered, undiscussed or unadulterated.

If the question is about who was more creative - then I think Kreski did more - he wrote stories for a LOT of new talent that not only got over but who became HOF level like Jericho, Angle, Eddie, Benoit (not getting into the debate) and some that revitalised stale talent like Edge & Christian, the Hardyz and the APA.

To me that's the decisive thing... of the guys Kreski wrote for in that 99-2001 period these became world champions later:-

Edge
Christian
Eddie
Benoit
JBL
RVD

Russo only ever really elevated The Rock and Foley to the World title - everyone else, like Austin and Trips began the process before he took over.

Disagree on your assessment of SMW, it produced several top talents who Cornette was able to introduce into the WWF - notably Kane, Al Snow (who got his first main exposure there), D-Lo Brown and the Headbangers were perhaps the most notable names. Kane of course needs no justification, but without the Unabomb/Snow team and the SMW working relationship things would have been very different for Taker.

Firstly, the same principle can be applied to the eventual success of many talents over the years who have honed their in-ring craft at a lower level and gone on to find varying degrees of success in either WCW or the WWF/E.

It's not necessarily a reflection on Cornette's ability to create stars, as all of those men listed above improved greatly in every measurable aspect as performers once the inked dried on their WWF deals. Especially true in the cases of Brown and Kane.

When D'Lo performed for Smokey Mountain and other low-rent indy leagues at the time, He was a near 400-pound slob. Once He made it on WWF screens as a henchman for Faarooq, as part of the original Nation of Domination, no less than Vinnie Mac himself refused to use Brown as an active competitor in-ring primarily due to his weight/appearance.

Which is not hard to fathom when it comes to McMahon, Remember, Vince famously concluded after one dark match (prior to an August '08 Raw) appearance, that super-worker Takeshi Morishima resembled a "Giant, fat girl" and refused to sign him to a deal.

I personally enjoyed D'Lo's WWF run, his European title stint yielded many memorable moments at a time in Wrestling when the mid-card was on fire. His constant re-billing of where He hailed from before his televised matches as Euro champ and the chest protector gimmick after Dan Severn abdominal stretched him into oblivion (much like 'Cowboy' Bob's cast in the 80's) gave fans reason to care about D'Lo and his bouts.

I also have listed his SummerSlam '98 curtain-raising effort against a then motivated Sean Morley as one of my favorite PPV openers ever.

With all that said, none of that could have been possible if D'Lo wasn't given the "lose weight or you're gone" ultimatum from WWF management in '97 and certainly Cornette's dealings with him in SMW years prior had no bearing on his eventual although limited success.

As a side note, even though Jim Ross always rated the 'Sky High' and Lo-Down' practitioner highly, at a time when he was in-charge of Talent, D'Lo was only going to reach a certain level, No matter how loud the crowd popped for his entrance, which they did for a short time in '99 as he was never one of McMahon's favorites.

D-Lo was perhaps the best example, Cornette brought him in for a small role, he proved himself in the Nation and he became the Euro-Continental champion... for a time D-Lo was a massive draw and the mid-cards most reliable worker. As someone said not sure of dates, but I am thinking Kreski was the one responsible for D-Lo's push, as Russo had used him as more of a "lackey" type.

I wouldn't use the term "massive draw" when describing any part of D'Lo's WWF/E tenure. He was over at a time when Wrestlers seemingly became genuine stars just by being associated with the WWF!
Also, D'Lo was given his break by Vince Russo! Not Kreski...Russo was in charge of Creative right up until late September '99. D'Lo's career entered a sharp decline in which it never recovered when Russo bailed to the seemingly greener pastures over at WCW.

By the end of 2000, Kreski most notably paired Brown with Headbanger Mosh/Beaver Cleavage/Chaz in a team which not only saw them don full-faced turbans but even worse they were managed by perennial bore Tiger Ali Singh.

By this time the WWF had lost interest in D'Lo and had nothing compelling lined up for either man, Hence they were a thrown together shambles of a tag-team that no one gave a shit about and were left to quietly disband.

The important thing is that no one guy can take credit for each story, as many within WWE have said in countless interviews, it's a collaborative process - nothing would have gone through from either man unfiltered, undiscussed or unadulterated.

The first line of this particular sentence is true for the most part. Successful booking in Pro Wrestling has always been a collaborative effort, the major difference between Russo and Chris Kreski's time in the hot seat is that Russo worked best and was allowed to work in two-man teams.

Even though Russo didn't take up poll position in WWF Creative until March '97, He, McMahon, Cornette, Pritchard and a couple others were a team in '96.
By March '97, it was just Russo and McMahon with finally everyone's favorite Jim Ross impersonator Ed Ferrara replacing McMahon in Late '98 to work alongside Vinnie Ru.
Evidence of this can be seen on the September 21st, 1998 Raw Is War broadcast, when in a backstage promo handled by Michael Cole, Vince is seen reviewing the Raw script with Russo and Ferrara in a blatant Russo-esque assault on Kayfabe!

Whereas with Kreski, He worked under Stephanie and was forced to work within a system which is largely still in place Today and is the main reason why Wrestling sucks nowadays when compared to times past.
McMahon's confidence in Russo's abilities at the time, afforded Russo more power over the WWF/E's Creative direction than anyone else in history not named McMahon.

If the question is about who was more creative - then I think Kreski did more - he wrote stories for a LOT of new talent that not only got over but who became HOF level like Jericho, Angle, Eddie, Benoit (not getting into the debate) and some that revitalised stale talent like Edge & Christian, the Hardyz and the APA.

To me that's the decisive thing... of the guys Kreski wrote for in that 99-2001 period these became world champions later:-

Edge
Christian
Eddie
Benoit
JBL
RVD

Russo only ever really elevated The Rock and Foley to the World title - everyone else, like Austin and Trips began the process before he took over.

Of your list of guys here:

Edge and Christian both got there breaks and were given characters that got over by Russo. They were already solid mid-carders when Russo left. Kreski rode that wave.
Not to discredit the good work Kreski did with E&C, However they were already established prior to his input.

Eddie, Malenko and Saturn alongside Benoit were hired by the WWF in January 2000 more so to hurt the ailing WCW at the time. Benoit was the real star of the group and the only guy the WWF seemingly had any real kind of plans for. His role was to oppose the WWF guy, put forth a good match before inevitably staring at the lights for the likes of The Rock, Austin, Angle and Jericho.
Benoit's talent was responsible for his rise to the top and almost was a foregone conclusion.

Kreski's well executed 'Mamacita' angle devised for Eddie alongside Joanie 'Don't call me Chyna' Laurer firmly established Guerrero as a WWF guy and got over huge with the masses.
Eddie's impeccable in-ring work and hilarious portrayal as the sleazy, mexican guy worked a treat.
In later years, when the WWE roster was starting to thin out, Eddie ascended the ranks and cracked the main event.
Kreski was long gone by this point and had nothing to do with Eddie's 2004 success.

Triple H's rise to the top began under Russo too. Russo was instrumental in not only Hunter's 'Connecticut Blue Blood' character and the rise of DeGeneration-X, But also his transformation into 'The Game' in April '99. 'Honker' Hearst-Helmsley was also booked to win his first WWF World Title by Russo in August '99. Therefore, once again, Kreski rode that wave.

RVD basically brought his ECW act to the WWF in 2001. Little in the way of Rob's televised persona was altered from what he and Paul E. developed together in ECW. Also, Rob's first (and only) title win came years after Kreski was sacked. He was long gone.

Overall, Chris Kreski did a wonderful job in hindsight brief as his tenure ultimately was.
The key is, when Russo took over the top spot in Creative, the rating for Raw was a 1.9. When Russo left, it was hitting 6's and 7's (with the occasional 8.0!) consistently. Russo took the WWF from the outhouse to the penthouse!
Whereas Kreski, basically kept Stephanie McMahon's seat warm for a year.

Firstly, the same principle can be applied to the eventual success of many talents over the years who have honed their in-ring craft at a lower level and gone on to find varying degrees of success in either WCW or the WWF/E.

It's not necessarily a reflection on Cornette's ability to create stars, as all of those men listed above improved greatly in every measurable aspect as performers once the inked dried on their WWF deals. Especially true in the cases of Brown and Kane.

When D'Lo performed for Smokey Mountain and other low-rent indy leagues at the time, He was a near 400-pound slob. Once He made it on WWF screens as a henchman for Faarooq, as part of the original Nation of Domination, no less than Vinnie Mac himself refused to use Brown as an active competitor in-ring primarily due to his weight/appearance.

Which is not hard to fathom when it comes to McMahon, Remember, Vince famously concluded after one dark match (prior to an August '08 Raw) appearance for the 'E in 2008, that super-worker Takeshi Morishima resembled a "Giant, fat girl" and refused to sign him to a deal.

I personally enjoyed D'Lo's WWF run, his European title stint yielded many memorable moments at a time in Wrestling when the mid-card was on fire. His constant re-billing of where He hailed from before his televised matches as Euro champ and the chest protector gimmick after Dan Severn abdominal stretched him into oblivion (much like 'Cowboy' Bob's cast in the 80's) gave fans reason to care about D'Lo and his bouts.

I also have listed his SummerSlam '98 curtain-raising effort against a then motivated Sean Morley as one of my favorite PPV openers ever.

With all that said, none of that could have been possible if D'Lo wasn't given the "lose weight or you're gone" ultimatum from WWF management in '97 and certainly Cornette's dealings with him in SMW years prior had no bearing on his eventual although limited success.

As a side note, even though Jim Ross always rated the 'Sky High' and Lo-Down' practitioner highly, at a time when he was in-charge of Talent, D'Lo was only going to reach a certain level, No matter how loud the crowd popped for his entrance, which they did for a short time in '99 as he was never one of McMahon's favorites.

I wouldn't use the term "massive draw" when describing any part of D'Lo's WWF/E tenure. He was over at a time when Wrestlers seemingly became genuine stars just by being associated with the WWF!
Also, D'Lo was given his break by Vince Russo! Not Kreski...Russo was in charge of Creative right up until late September '99. D'Lo's career entered a sharp decline in which it never recovered when Russo bailed to the seemingly greener pastures over at WCW.

By the end of 2000, Kreski most notably paired Brown with Headbanger Mosh/Beaver Cleavage/Chaz in a team which not only saw them don full-faced turbans but even worse they were managed by perennial bore Tiger Ali Singh.

By this time the WWF had lost interest in D'Lo and had nothing compelling lined up for either man, Hence they were a thrown together shambles of a tag-team that no one gave a shit about and were left to quietly disband.

The first line of this particular sentence is true for the most part. Successful booking in Pro Wrestling has always been a collaborative effort, the major difference between Russo and Chris Kreski's time in the hot seat is that Russo worked best and was allowed to work in two-man teams.

Even though Russo didn't take up poll position in WWF Creative until March '97, He, McMahon, Cornette, Pritchard and a couple others were a team in '96.
By March '97, it was just Russo and McMahon with finally everyone's favorite Jim Ross impersonator Ed Ferrara replacing McMahon in Late '98 to work alongside Vinnie Ru.
Evidence of this can be seen on the September 21st, 1998 Raw Is War broadcast, when in a backstage promo handled by Michael Cole, Vince is seen reviewing the Raw script with Russo and Ferrara in a blatant Russo-esque assault on Kayfabe!

Whereas with Kreski, He worked under Stephanie and was forced to work within a system which is largely still in place Today and is the main reason why Wrestling sucks nowadays when compared to times past.
McMahon's confidence in Russo's abilities at the time, afforded Russo more power over the WWF/E's Creative direction than anyone else in history not named McMahon.

Of your list of guys here:

Edge and Christian both got there breaks and were given characters that got over by Russo. They were already solid mid-carders when Russo left. Kreski rode that wave.
Not to discredit the good work Kreski did with E&C, However they were already established prior to his input.

Eddie, Malenko and Saturn alongside Benoit were hired by the WWF in January 2000 more so to hurt the ailing WCW at the time. Benoit was the real star of the group and the only guy the WWF seemingly had any real kind of plans for. His role was to oppose the WWF guy, put forth a good match before inevitably staring at the lights for the likes of The Rock, Austin, Angle and Jericho.
Benoit's talent was responsible for his rise to the top and almost was a foregone conclusion.

Kreski's well executed 'Mamacita' angle devised for Eddie alongside Joanie 'Don't call me Chyna' Laurer firmly established Guerrero as a WWF guy and got over huge with the masses.
Eddie's impeccable in-ring work and hilarious portrayal as the sleazy, mexican guy worked a treat.
In later years, when the WWE roster was starting to thin out, Eddie ascended the ranks and cracked the main event.
Kreski was long gone by this point and had nothing to do with Eddie's 2004 success.

Triple H's rise to the top began under Russo too. Russo was instrumental in not only Hunter's 'Connecticut Blue Blood' character and the rise of DeGeneration-X, But also his transformation into 'The Game' in April '99. 'Honker' Hearst-Helmsley was also booked to win his first WWF World Title by Russo in August '99. Therefore, once again, Kreski rode that wave.

RVD basically brought his ECW act to the WWF in 2001. Little in the way of Rob's televised persona was altered from what he and Paul E. developed together in ECW. Also, Rob's first (and only) title win came years after Kreski was sacked. He was long gone.

Overall, Chris Kreski did a wonderful job in hindsight brief as his tenure ultimately was.
The key is, when Russo took over the top spot in Creative, the rating for Raw was a 1.9. When Russo left, it was hitting 6's and 7's (with the occasional 8.0!) consistently. Russo took the WWF from the outhouse to the penthouse!
Whereas Kreski, basically kept Stephanie McMahon's seat warm for a year.

D-Lo was a draw for much of that period in 99, enough to be given both titles and regularly got among the biggest pops on international tours. I never said Cornette was responsible for him, but he gave him his break and without doubt the introduction to WWF. Sadly for D-Lo it was the Droz incident that ruined it for him, beyond his control and tragic but ultimately it came too close to losing Owen and the WWF never showed faith in him again.

Indeed the WWF cocked up initially with both Glen Jacobs and Al Snow, Isaac Yankem/Fake Diesel could have easily ended his career but as Cornette was on the committee with Vince when Kane debuted he does have some credit there. Dismissing his role is a mistake, Russo may have done a lot but he also booked some utter crap like "choppy choppy" and

In Al Snow's case Avatar and Leif Cassidy bombed, but it got him on TV, recognised enough that he could head to ECW when the working relationship began and he could reinvent himself into the character (and head) we loved.

Edge and Christian had worked well as the Brood, but it was tthe TLC feud that laid the foundation for 5 of the 6 to end up with some form of World Championship (even the ECW one for Matt) Stephanie didn't book that.

I think the shows improved greatly (especially the PPVs) after Russo left in '99. The product was great up until the failed invasion storyline.

At the time I was convinced that Russo was responsible for everything in the Attitude Era. I thought the product had become somewhat stale after he left. Looking back now though I love watching the PPVs from 2000 and even the shows back then had much better matches. I think the in-ring action during the Attitude Era was at it's best in 2000/2001 after Russo left. But I think the storylines were the best in the Attitude Era when Russo and Ed Ferrara were writing.

Um... no, that's not true. Russo was a member of the creative team by late '96 and was pretty much completely in charge by the end of '97. The product was AWFUL under Jim Cornette. It wasn't until McMahon started paying attention to RAW magazine and what Russo was writing that he started to turn things around and go in a more edgy direction. By the time RAW became RAW is WAR in March '97, Russo was a huge influence on the direction of the company already.

Cornette was responsible for booking the product during that awful time period in '95 and most of '96 when the WWF was getting their butts kicked by WCW and the nWo.

What was good about Kreski though was apparently he NOT ONLY storyboarded everything but was rumored to have also kept a continuity chart so none of his angles would get too disjointed.If they would have never put Stephanie as head booker and demoted him, it's possibly that wouldnt have departed around 2002 and the angles he wrote wouldnt have just downgraded to semi-coherence like it did.

Russo was a good idea man but Kreski was better at fleshing things out and structuring them. So in regards to Kreski "riding" Russo's wave, I'd say Russo left building blocks for Kreski and Kreski build off of them in a memorable and unique way when he could have caused everything to fall apart.

I was paying attention more to WCW in 2000 (during the Russo & Bischoff era). Well, actually I started paying more attention around the fall of '99 when Russo and Ed Ferrara jumped ship originally. Then WCW was awful for a couple months after they removed him in January 2000 but I liked some of the craziness of the shows during the Russo & Bischoff era and the beginning of the New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club storyline.

Like I said, back then I thought the WWF had started to become stale and predictable after Russo left and I bought into the whole idea that Russo was responsible for all the success of the Attitude Era.

Now when I watch the shows though I can barely watch WCW clips from back then and love watching WWF clips from late 1999/2000. I realize now that Russo was just a good idea guy. He never could write a storyline that could last and make sense. Stories like the Powers That Be and the Millionaire's Club vs. New Blood had a lot of potential and with someone like Vince McMahon there to edit Russo's work it could have been a success, IMO. Chris Kreski seemed like a much more mature version of Vince Russo.

What's funny about what you said is that Kreski had worked on stuff like Beavis and Butthead and Celebrity Deathmatch before and possibly during the time of taking Russo's place and yet he seemed more mature and went I the direction of nighttime soap operas as opposed to the abrasive talk show approach Russo took.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back