• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who should join the triple crown club?

LODemolition

Championship Contender
So a fact that got lost on me is that Sheamus joined the triple crown club when he won the tag team championships with Cesaro the first time last year. I guess technically he was already in it since he has worn the US title, but I am talking about the traditional triple crown of World Title, IC Title, and Tag Titles. If I'm not mistaken, Sheamus became the 20th man to do so. Of course it's become easier to accomplish in recent years with there being 2 world championships and 2 sets of tag titles, but it's still elite company nonetheless. It's not as exclusive as it once was that's for sure, prior to Stone Cold Steve Austin achieving this in 1998, only 4 men in WWE history had accomplished the feat (Pedro Morales, Bret Hart, Diesel and Shawn Michaels). Since then, the floodgates somewhat opened up and 15 others crashed the party.

So who do you think deserves to join the club? I'll give my short list, starting with who's the closest to joining the record books.

1. Dolph Ziggler - I know he's in the twilight of his career, but all he needs to join is a tag team title win. And a tag team could be exactly what he needs to become relevant again. The tag team division is terrible at the moment, so I'd pair him with either Curt Hawkins or Mike Kanelis. I could easily picture Maria leading her husband and Dolph down the aisle with the Smackdown tag belts.

2. Seth Rollins - Already a former world, US, and tag team champion in his still young career, Seth will absolutely be a triple crown winner. I definitely see an IC Champion run in his future next year once he and Ambrose go their separate ways again. Seth has fallen from the main event and would make a perfect midcard champion.

3. Bray Wyatt - Just like Rollins, he is just an IC Title win away from joining the club. Bray won the tag team titles late last year (which would've been the title that always eluded him if I had to guess) and became World Champ at Elimination Chamber for a short time, to my dismay. Just like Rollins, I see Wyatt as an IC Champ sooner rather than later.

4. Kevin Owens - Here's an absolute no-brainer. Owens has been Universal, US, and IC champ. He'll undoubtedly find a new best friend eventually and he has plenty of time to do it. He has much bigger fish to fry though as the current top heel on Smackdown and for the foreseeable future. Some day he and Sami Zayn will make up and claim tag team gold.

5. AJ Styles - Though he's no spring chicken and his WWE career is only a year and a half old, there's no doubt in my mind that AJ will round the bases and win the IC and tag team championships to go with his World and US Title belts. Arguably the best wrestler on the roster, he will likely always be in the picture for one championship or another.

The only guy on your list I disagree with is Dolph. I've never liked the guy, but there was a short period where he was extremely over. Now though he is beyond stale. He hasn't reinvented his cut rate HBK gimmick in years, he uses the same innefective moves that are mostly stolen from far more popular wrestlers, and he has never been good on the mic. His idea of a good promo is yelling and making angry faces. He bitches over and over about wanting to leave WWE, well let him walk. He serves zero purpose these days.

I'd add Kofi to that list in his place. In his run, Kofi has always been over to a degree, always puts on a watchable match when given time, and has put in the work to try to reinvent himself here and there. All he needs is that one run with the big belt and he would have it. He has been a company man his entire run, never stepped out of line, always does what is asked of him, oh and New Day are among the top merch movers in the last couple of years. So please Vince, give Kofi his due.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cesaro be given an opportunity. He's been United States Champion, he's currently on his 3rd run as a Tag Team Champion and I wouldn't mind seeing him have a run with either the Universal or WWE Championships.

When you consider Jinder Mahal has been and currently is WWE Champion, it really makes you wonder exactly what it factor he has that Cesaro doesn't. Neither of them is dynamite on the mic but Cesaro had consistently shown himself to be among the most reliable, high quality performers on the roster.

I disagree with Bray Wyatt being the Triple Crown, because it feels like making people Triple Crown just for the sake of it, or because they happen to have been tag team champions and world/IC champions.

In Wyatt's case, he's somewhat like Mankind and Taker in that their character doesn't necessarily need to win any of the three championships, but if or when they happen to be stirred, it's usually for the World title, which is a symbol of the Company, a symbol of Supremacy.

Why else would a backwoods cult leader or Undertaker as "eater of souls" want championships? It's laughable. It's laughable to see them compete in tournaments for the tag titles or IC title, let's say.

BUT, sometimes it just so happens that Taker won the Tag titles. Or Wyatt won the tag titles.

In fact, Taker never won the IC title, in his 20-yr stint with the company, for a reason. It's because it'd be awkward- Undertaker the IC champion. (He hasn't even competed for it, beyond just one or two times, as with Goldust in 1996 in an IYH PPV).

Similarly, Bray Wyatt, IMO, should not ever be the IC champion, because he isn't moulded for it, his character I mean, nor for the Triple Crown.

I'd also like to make a point that being a Triple Crown doesn't necessarily mean a distinction or reflect a distinctive career.

In Kane's case, who's been the tag team and IC champion on numerous occasions, and a World champion, his career nowhere reflects the level of glory and greatness as the Undertaker's, who's obviously NOT a triple crown.

Or Dean Ambrose, who's already a former IC, US, and WWE champion. But when it's all said and done, with even a few tag team title reigns added to his list, would his career reflect the same amount of glory, greatness and awesomeness as the careers of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, or Kurt Angle?

So who, should be Triple Crown?

I'd definitely say Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, and Shinsuke Nakamura.

And yes, KO is destined to, as is Dean Ambrose probably, for better or for worse.

Ok I hate to state the obvious but isnt Dolph already part of the club. If its just tag team gold he needs he won it just not as "Dolph" but as Nicky of the Spirit Squad

I can see one way that could work for Bray being IC champion...Say Miz is still champ....he could target him as a soul who has lost his way sold to Hollywood. Bray will save him but to do that he must take what is most precious to him...outside of that I agree it dont really make sense for him
I disagree with Bray Wyatt being the Triple Crown, because it feels like making people Triple Crown just for the sake of it, or because they happen to have been tag team champions and world/IC champions.

In Wyatt's case, he's somewhat like Mankind and Taker in that their character doesn't necessarily need to win any of the three championships, but if or when they happen to be stirred, it's usually for the World title, which is a symbol of the Company, a symbol of Supremacy.

Why else would a backwoods cult leader or Undertaker as "eater of souls" want championships? It's laughable. It's laughable to see them compete in tournaments for the tag titles or IC title, let's say.

BUT, sometimes it just so happens that Taker won the Tag titles. Or Wyatt won the tag titles.

In fact, Taker never won the IC title, in his 20-yr stint with the company, for a reason. It's because it'd be awkward- Undertaker the IC champion. (He hasn't even competed for it, beyond just one or two times, as with Goldust in 1996 in an IYH PPV).

Similarly, Bray Wyatt, IMO, should not ever be the IC champion, because he isn't moulded for it, his character I mean, nor for the Triple Crown.

I'd also like to make a point that being a Triple Crown doesn't necessarily mean a distinction or reflect a distinctive career.

In Kane's case, who's been the tag team and IC champion on numerous occasions, and a World champion, his career nowhere reflects the level of glory and greatness as the Undertaker's, who's obviously NOT a triple crown.

Or Dean Ambrose, who's already a former IC, US, and WWE champion. But when it's all said and done, with even a few tag team title reigns added to his list, would his career reflect the same amount of glory, greatness and awesomeness as the careers of Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, or Kurt Angle?

So who, should be Triple Crown?

I'd definitely say Seth Rollins, AJ Styles, and Shinsuke Nakamura.

And yes, KO is destined to, as is Dean Ambrose probably, for better or for worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back