Who Is The Best European Champion of All Time?

Who Is The 'Best' European Champion of All-Time?

• British Bulldog

• Matt Hardy

• Triple H.

• D-Lo Brown

• William Regal

• Shawn Michaels

• Shane McMahon

• X-Pac

• Eddie Guerrero

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
During the early portion of 1997 the W.W.F. decided to debut a new mid-card Championship, to compete next to, or rather right below, the Intercontinental Championship. It was called the 'European' Championship, and it was debuted overseas in Germany during the course of several house shows. An 8 man tournament, including Bret Hart, Triple H., Owen Hart, Terry Funk, Mick Foley, Vader, The Rock & The British Bulldog all competed to be crowned the first-ever European Champion. The finals came down to the Tag Team Champions, the British Bulldog and Owen Hart at which point the Bulldog came out in the end as the Champion crowned.

Over the course of the next several years, spanning from 1997-2002 (just over a 5 year history) the European Championship went on to be held by some big names, and some relatively unknown and roughly forgotten names. The objective of this thread is to recall the Champions who held this title, and decide who was the best of them all.

Through it's 5 plus year history, there have been 27 different Champions, but only 6 of them held the Championship multiple times. The wrestlers who made the top poll are those who made the most of their reigns, or made an impact. (through my opinion) If you feel someone not mentioned deserves notice, please explain them and explain why you believe they deserve notice. I will now list my top 9 (not counting 'other') in no specific order and give a brief description on why I believe they should be the most note-worthy Champions to hold the European title.

1. British Bulldog: The first-ever European Champion was also a 2-time Champion, collectively holding the title for 253 days combined. (his first reign went the longest of anyone at 205 days) The British Bulldog would be most served to be remembered for one of the greatest European Champions mainly for two reasons. The first is because of course, he's from the U.K. and was the 'poster-child' of the title. The second because he was the very first Champion, and that was when the title was at it's best, arguably.

Unfortunately the downside to the British Bulldog was during his first run as Champion, he rarely defended the title. Only seeking challenges from the likes of Owen Hart, Crush, Goldust, and ultimately the man he'd lose to, Shawn Michaels. His second reign is less likely a forgotten one, as it came when the Bulldog ran in a pack, so to speak, with the Mean Street Posse'. He would only hold that reign for around a month and a half.

2. Matt Hardy: Matt Hardy is somewhat of an unknown regarding this Championship, because a lot of people may not remember his reign. However that in itself is surprising, considering he's the longest reigning European Champion that was born in America. Matt Hardy defeated Eddie Guerrero on an episode of Smackdown, leading into Backlash of 2001. He would hold onto the Championship until August 27th of that same year, giving him the longest (American) single reign in the history of the Championship, with 125 days.

Some would say Matt's reign, albeit impressive, was a fluke mainly because of his Brother's success. Matt wouldn't have any one stand-out feud regarding the Championship, but defended it proudly.

3. Triple H.: Outside of Shawn Michaels, albeit even including him, some would say Triple H. was the most impressive Superstar to ever hold this title, however perhaps nowhere near the most impressive Champion. Triple H. held the European Championship on two different occasions. The first was a 'hand-me-down' when Shawn Michaels laid down and Triple H. covered him on Raw, December 11th 1997. Injuries would cause Triple H. to have to forfeit the Championship however, as his reign only lasted (40 days) until January 20th, 1998 when Owen Hart claimed the strap from him by defeated Goldust. The match was ordered by (then) commish. Sgt. Slaughter.

Triple H. regained his European Championship from Owen Hart, however, at Wrestlemania XIV which many would mark as the beginning of a new era for Triple H., as the following night he took over D-X and formed a greater version. Helmsley's reign would go from Wrestlemania until July of that year (120 days) when D-Lo Brown would claim the title from him during the 'faction war' between the Nation and D-X raged on.

4. D-Lo Brown: In my personal opinion, I believe strongly that D-Lo Brown was the most remembered European Champion, mainly because to D-Lo this was his biggest title during the time he won it, and he treated it as if it were a Heavyweight Championship. D-Lo ties for the most reigns, at 4, spanning 140 total days. D-Lo's list of victim's that helped him to become a 4-time Champion would be Triple H., X-Pac, Mideon, and Mark Henry. (over the span of 140 days collectively)

The personal reason I believe D-Lo could be one of the most remembered European Champions is mainly because once he won the title for the first time, he reclaimed that he was the European embassador and proclaimed that he was from a different part of Europe each time he wrestled.

5. William Regal: While D-Lo Brown may have been a 4-time Champion, I also said he was tied with only one other individual, that being William Regal. William Regal defeated the likes of Al Snow, Crash Holly, D.D.P. & Spike Dudley. (holding the title collectively for 179 days)

While nothing truly stands out from Regal's reigns, the mere fact that outside of the British Bulldog, Regal was the only other true 'European' to rightfully hold the title. I can't bring up any type of argument that could make Regal the best, but he certainly will always be remembered because of his background, regardless.

6. Shawn Michaels: Shawn Michaels defeated the British Bulldog in England at the One Night Only p.p.v., and his reign lasted 82 days. To my knowledge, he only defended the Championship roughly twice. Once against Flash Funk, who had been laid out by Kane before the match ever began, and the second time when he laid down for Triple H. to pin him. (I could be wrong)

While there is absolutely NOTHING impressive about H.B.K.'s European title reign, the historical value is what makes him worthy of being classified as a possible 'best' regarding the title. Shawn Michaels was one of the top names to hold this Championship, and more so he was the only individual to hold it while also competing for the Heavyweight Championship and even winning the Heavyweight Championship, making the European title (for a time, in some's eyes) just as, if not more valuable than the Intercontinental Championship.

7. Shane McMahon: Shane McMahon held the Championship for around 43 days, winning it from X-Pac in February of 1999 and ultimately retiring as an undefeated European Champion. Because he retired, his reign ended the same day. (March 30th) The title wouldn't be reactivated until mid-June of that same year, when Mideon 'discovered a belt' in Shane's duffel bag and asked if he could have it, thus bringing the title back into play.

While much like Shawn Michaels, there isn't anything that stands out about Shane McMahon's reign as European Champion, the mere fact that he breaks a top 10 list is because of 'who' he is. He's the son of the owner of the company, and while he wasn't anything of a great Professional Wrestler, I think it speaks volumes that Shane would somehow opt to win this title instead of the Intercontinental title.. trying to spark something in the European title picture.

8. X-Pac: Sean Waltman, better known to most as X-Pac during his European Championship reign, he would hold the title 2-times for 134 days collectively. Both of his reigns started by D-Lo Brown, but the first one ended by D-Lo as well and lasted only 14 days. While his second reign went 120 days.

This was X-Pac's 'highest' single's Championship within the W.W.F., considering that the Light Heavyweight and Cruiserweight title's weren't considered higher. This was also the first single's title X-Pac had the opportunity to hold within the company. He had one of the best rivalries within the division against D-Lo Brown, then again against Shane McMahon. Arguably X-Pac will go down in European Championship history as the individual who had the best heated feuds within the division.

9. Eddie Guerrero: Rounding out the top 9, again not counting the 10th spot, would be Eddie Guerrero who was a 2-time European Champion, collectively holding the title for 134 days. (tied w/ X-Pac) Both of Eddie Guerrero's reigns happened within a year of each other. The first was the night after Wrestlemania 2000, and the second was a year later, at Wrestlemania X-7. Defeating Chris Jericho & Test respectively.

Eddie's first reign is likely going to be more remembered than his second, as it was his first that also sparked the 'Latino Heat' storyline between himself and Chyna, and arguably pushed his career in the path that would lead to becoming a Heavyweight Champion.

Other Champions: Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, Rob Van Dam, Owen Hart, Christian, Al Snow, Spike Dudley, Test, Val Venis, The Hurricane, Bradshaw, Jeff Jarrett, Mark Henry, Diamond Dallas Page, Mideon, Perry Saturn & Crash Holly all round out the other former Champions.

So, with the information provided above (through my own opinion, as well as selective internet sources) it's time for each of you to give your own take on who you believe to be the arguable 'best' European Champion and why. Please explain yourself and give reasons and logic behind your beliefs. Thank You.

(All information provided has mainly been gathered by wikipedia, personal memory, and Pro Wrestling Illustrated Almanac.)

D'Lo Brown, not because he was the best wrestler to ever hold the belt, but because he held it the most times and it meant something around his waist. Other wrestlers, it meant little, it was just another belt, something to have till they could get there hands on the IC or even better the WWE title. Matt Hardy may have been a long champion, but I felt that for the most part, his reign was very uneventful, espcially since he won it on SD even though I think he was scheduled to be in that triple threat match on Backlash before he won it, why they give it to him then and not wait till Backlash I don't know? Regal and Guerrero were also very good champs but the european title's didn't make them, the European title made D'Lo into somewhat of a star. He passionatly defended it, declared himself from many different European countries, and even held the IC title while being European Champion. I think the European title's best days were when D'Lo was champion.

I would also like to give props to Christian during his title reign. I don't think he was the best, but I do think he deserves consideration. He held the title for a long while too and had an awesome match with DDP for it at WM.

1. British Bulldog: Whilst I want to say The British Bulldog was the greatest ever European Champion, I can't. Everything was there really, he was European, a proud champion and put on some unforgetable matches fot it, yet he didn't defend it nearly enough and as we all know, an un-defending champion shouldn't be champion at all.

2. Matt Hardy: For a long time this was the jewell in the crown of Matt Hardys singles career. Things should have stayed that way. The art of a great mid-card champion is dieing but Matt Hardy was an example of just how important a Mid-Card Championship is for someone who quite frankly otherwise would never have amounted to anything as a singles wrestler in this buisness.

3. Triple H.: An example of how a Wrestler earns his stripes as a succesful mid-card champion before making his way to the main-event? Hmm, Kindof, he was given the title rather than earning it which is sad because that takes away alot of the momentum that the title could have had (Not earning titles is a trend that Triple H developed here and perfected over the last few years.) Could of made the title worth something again though I guess had it not been for injury, the fact that he didn't doesn't make him stand out as the best champion. The Championship was more a foot note in his career than anything else, not the launch pad or the pinnacle.

4. D-Lo Brown: A great mid-card champion, this is how a guy like D'lo, (a certain degree of talent and a fair amount of charisma, yet lacks a je ne cais que required to become a main eventer) should be. TO a guy like D'lo the European title was the big leagues and it is his efforts to keep the title and give the title some prestige that made his run worth watching. A real dieing art in wrestling today were you get someone come in, make a crowd pop and then expect to be world Champion (Carlito.) D'lo is an example of how you can make yourself memorable in the mid-card. It makes me feel that if WWE spent some time with there wrestlers feuding in the mid-card for a while the quality of the overall product would increase dramatically.

5. William Regal: Could have been the best ever champion, could have been the greatest European wrestler to make it of all time, infact he is neither, his reign was forgettable and he is dull to watch. If he had half the charisma that D'lo had the Regal/ European title could have been a thrilling watch. It had more potential than say a Hardy/ Henry feud for another meaningless title.

6. Shawn Michaels: Other than holding the title Simultaneously with the World Title, Shawns actual winning of the championship is perhaps the biggest moment in the titles history. That doesn't make him the best champion however, the fact he layed down and effectively gave up the title was a real kick in the teeth to the title as it made it look really worthless. A main-eventer like Shawn should stay well away from a mid-card title just like a Mid-Carder like D'lo or Matt Hardy should keep clear of the World Heavyweight title scene.

7. Shane McMahon: As the bosses son who could have gone for any championship he wanted, winning the European Title over the IC title (as Will pointed out) Did alot to give the title some much needed credibility. A reasonably good reign that with a few tweaks could have been a great reign! Shane McMahon is a demon in the ring, if he could have put some of his Lion-Heart attitude in to the title he would've been the runaway winner of this thread.

8. X-Pac: Another prime example of how important the Mid-Card title can be. X-Pac had a reasonably good run as to him the title was everything. It is the difference for him to being remembered as a DX member and nothing more to being a DX member and a Champion, all be it a mid-card champion but a champion all the same. It annoys me that people think that mid-card championships are worthless. There not. When you put together some really exciting feuds over any mid-card title, or even just some meaningful feuds rather than just a guy randomly defending against another guy, you effectively strenthen the overall feel of your product and increase it rather than just having a good main event.

9. Eddie Guerrero: Here is an example of a were the European title really comes good, without the title we wouldn't have ever had Eddie in the main event, love that fact or hate it. Eddie had a really succesful reign as European Champion, so much show he was given the push up to the big leagues. Whilst he wasn't the best Champion he was a worthy one who did alot for the title and Eddie I'm sure never once took for granted the importance of his reign on his overall career. More wrestlers should be like that today.

In conclusion, who is the standout Number 1 European Champion? None of them, all the guys listed above and all the other men to hold the championship dont deserve to be named the BEST European Champion, some of them where good, for some it was the Pinnacle of there careers and for some it launched them into a main-event career, but the true hero of the European Championship was indeed, the European Championship. Whereas with the Intercontinental title you have certain wrestlers and feuds that MAKE the title, here you have a title that makes or breaks the wrestler.

There has only ever been one ''good'' European Champion. That's because the belt was always pointless, never worth a damn thing. A worthless prop. I don't know how anybody could say that D'Lo Brown was a good champion, where were all these great feuds and matches. All I saw were a couple of ok ones. I'm guessing more people recall Al Snow billing himself as being from a different European city more than anything else.

The only decent champion is The British Bulldog. And even still he was only worth the time and effort it took to make the belt on one night. That night was at One Night Only. The only time that belt has been important. You can thank Shawn Michaels, The WWE's previous booking of the Bulldog in England and the English crowd.

[youtube]Zu0NTyJ1uHI[/youtube]
[youtube]XOdFxttTWsk[/youtube]
[youtube]VPGHRZUToI0[/youtube]
[youtube]rO8CRYea7nQ[/youtube]

D'Lo Brown, not because he was the best wrestler to ever hold the belt, but because he held it the most times and it meant something around his waist. Other wrestlers, it meant little, it was just another belt, something to have till they could get there hands on the IC or even better the WWE title. Matt Hardy may have been a long champion, but I felt that for the most part, his reign was very uneventful, espcially since he won it on SD even though I think he was scheduled to be in that triple threat match on Backlash before he won it, why they give it to him then and not wait till Backlash I don't know? Regal and Guerrero were also very good champs but the european title's didn't make them, the European title made D'Lo into somewhat of a star. He passionatly defended it, declared himself from many different European countries, and even held the IC title while being European Champion. I think the European title's best days were when D'Lo was champion.

I don't think we can say a wrestler is the best holder of a belt because it meant the most to them. In that sense, Shawn Michaels is one of the best WWE champions ever because of how much the belt meant to him, how proud he was of it, and how long he'd wanted it.

I also realise that's not your whole reasoning behind him being champion, so I'll stop there, as I agree with you in a way. His reign was one of the best with that championship. He's a wrestler pretty much hit with tragedy, and he's never really got the breakthrough I think he deserves.

Wow, I'd forgotten just how many European Champs there were! I guess that is a reflection on the "quality" of the title reigns.

I want to answer this question in two stages. First, the greatest European Champion was The British Bulldog, narrowly edging out D'Lo Brown. Bulldog's victory match over Owen Hart was classic, the he truly carried the belt as a champion. Perhaps he didn't defend it often, but with all of the championships swirling around out there, I didn't need him to. I knew he was the champion, and when he fought, I was excited to see it.

I also don't buy the notion that the Bulldog was the best champion because he was "actually European." If that were a criteria, then the tournament to crown the champion should have only included Europeans.

D'Lo Brown was a good champion because he did legitimize the belt as a non-established up-and-comer. Bulldog had held the Intercontinental Championship before, and had feuded for the WWF Title. He was legit. D'Lo wasn't an established star yet. However, D'Lo's reign was also a bi-product of both his wrestling angle and his race. Hear me out.

D'Lo won the Euro Title from HHH to advance the Dx / Nation of Domination storyline, and with Rock and Farroq at the helm, Brown was the only viable mid-carder to put this mid-card title on. Had he not been involved in this faction feud - and had he not been in the N.O.D., we would not be having this conversation right now.

The second part of my answer is how disappointed I was in the title reign of William Regal. As a WCW fan of the early and mid 1990's, I watched how masterfully Regal held on to the WCW Television Championship. I honestly felt Regal was going to get a long and meaningful title reign with the Euro belt, but it never materialized. I guess that's the story of Regal's career.

Will, great thread...but I believe you're slightly mistaken about D'lo and his ambassador gimmick. From my memory, it was Al Snow who did that gimmick, not D'lo.

The European title was as pointless as the Light-Heavyweight belt. Once you get to Shane McMahon's title reign, you can pretty much discard any of the reputation it's first two holders gave to it. Once you have a win from someone throwing the match, Goldust dressing up, Mideon taking it out of Shane's bag, and Jarrett giving the belt away, then you can see just how much the belt meant.

For that reason, Bulldog takes it. He was the only one who held the belt when it really had meaning, and the match with Owen was good.

After that, D'lo Brown's feuds were one of the few bright spots in an otherwise unremarkable history. I love the way WWE tries to sell it as being coveted because Angle and Jericho held it. Big deal, they weren't main event players for years after, and certainly not because they held the European title. As I recall, the Angle/Benoit/Jericho two title match was for IC first, and the other just to annoy Kurt when he lost both without being pinned.

The European title was one of those belts that was a belt for the sake of it. Only Bulldog made it look respectable for a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back