• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Else Misses the Feast or Fired Match?

NegativeFeedback

Mid-Card Championship Winner
The Feast or Fired match was great. Money in the Bank was such a huge success for WWE, it's kind of odd that Hogan nixed the Feast or Fired match when he came into the company. That gimmick could have been huge for TNA.

I especially loved the guessing game of what was in each briefcase. An unlucky pink slip or a shot at the X-Division Championship, Tag Team Championship or the World Championship? It was great to find out one by one who had each case.

Who else thinks they should bring it back? I would like it if they brought it back for Slammiversary. There are so many story possibilities they could come up with.

My winners would be:
1. Sting- After losing a chance at any future title shot, he could join the match to try and win the world title briefcase. He ends up winning the X-Division shot instead. He'll try to win the title and keep it for Destination X next year so he can have a title shot.
2. Jeff Hardy- He could win the Tag Team briefcase and ends up bringing back his brother to win the tag titles.
3. Magnus- World title shot. I think he's ready for a big push.
4. Hulk Hogan- He joins the match so he can "fairly" win a shot for the World title. He's actually a favorite to win because fans expect him to get a bullsh*t push, but then he gets the pink slip. He can stay off TV for a while after that. Come back in a few months after we get a break from his tired schtick.

No, Feast or Fired, or Money in the Couch, as I call it, was a lame gimmick. Worse yet are your ideas of winners. First, it was typically used to push guy, not to take top stars and give them something else to do.

Now, as for your 'winners', X division was given a weight limit so that's a big no. Matt 'The balloon' Hardy has a nice run going in ROH and given how TNA is cutting guys, I doubt Fat Matt is high (pardon the pun) on the priority list. Magnus is getting a far better push through the BFG series than a fluke briefcase. Hogan, well, I don't think Hogan could climb up a curb, much less get a case while standing on the top rope, so, no, just no.

They got rid of that weight limit if I remember. If they didn't, then it's flexible and they can quietly ignore it if they want - hence Samoa Joe challenging for it and RVD's reign.

I liked the concept of Feast or Fired but I don't know if it'd work now that the X-Division Champion gets to cash in for a World Heavyweight Title shot. There'll just be too much cashing in.

It can be useful though, if you want to keep somebody relevant while not involved in the primary feud in that division, or creating a new tag-team or something if the person who wins that briefcase doesn't have a current partner. It can be used they want to take somebody off TV and bring them back with a different gimmick, ala Daniels/Curry Man.

In hindsight, yeah. I was dumb. Very dumb. But back when TNA did matches like that tehy had a bit of identity. They presented them matches as being deadly serious, that was the problem. If they were promoted as comedy matches then they'd be more fondly remembered.

You want Hulk Hogan to compete in a Feast or Fired slip, and then actually get fired? HA!

I like the concept; TNA never executed it correctly in my opinion. Often they'd have the match on PPV, then make us wait until TV that week to see the results. It didn't increase ratings, because nothing increases TNA ratings. It really made the whole thing unbelievable. You know it's scripted; why insult our intelligence. It's just a way to write off one guy, and give a title shot to another. There's better, more creative ways of going about that.

Personally, I don't like seeing wrestlers let go. I like a consistent product. Any match with the potential to get rid of somebody - unless that somebody is The Miz, Zack Ryder or Wes Brisco - leaves me with a bittersweet feeling at the end of it.

TNA are firing people for fun, at least make a match out of it.

It wouldn't hurt to bring back this match and give the fans and a match which is kinda fun, kinda unique and unpredictable. Moreover, it is an easy way to give someone a push or put them in a tag-team.

I can only imagine it was TNA's attempt to create their own version of Money in the Bank, but bigger, better and with higher stakes. But instead it came off as Money in the Bank's special cousin.

The thing TNA didn't seem to understand was that the MitB briefcase was only half of the reason the match was so exciting. The other half was the core concept of the match itself. 6 or 7 good wrestlers beating each other up with ladders for 20 minutes. Feast or Fired was 15 or so wrestlers all clumsily fighting in and around the ring before they try to get to the cases. Like a bad battle royale.

Also, the angles that were created from the results were silly. Lest we forget, Christopher Daniels being fired was what led to Curry Man's TNA run. And I never bought that people would be willing to go into a random match where they might be fired. In the blow off match for a heated feud, sure, but not in a random battle royale game of luck.

I miss it, honestly. It was a strange cluster-mess that I'm certain was a nightmare for the creative team, but it was something I always looked forward to. TNA should bring it back. It's a good way to write someone off if they are getting released or about to use a completely different character. Simply have them win the Fired briefcase in this match. While some will complain that it was a ripoff of WWE's Money In the Bank match, I liked how TNA added more layers to it by including more than just a World Championship title shot. The dreaded firing notice was there, as was a Tag Team title shot and an X Division title shot. It gave attention to EVERY championship tier and that made it more memorable. I want to see this match type return.

I will always hate Feast or Fired because it caused the firing of my all-time favorite TNA star: Curry Man.

You didn't find it hilarious when he thought he had won the Fire Championship? That was one of the funniest moments in TNA history. Curry Man legitimately get fired, they just got rid of that persona. He still wrestles as Christopher Daniels.

Along with the Feast or Fired match, TNA should have more reverse battle royals like they used to. Where everyone starts outside the ring and has to get inside it. It always made for great TV when you had guys standing around but not jumping into the ring.

I see what you mean with Sting, he looks under 230 (their new weight limit).

I don't like the idea of the match, especially if it's a yearly thing. A guy getting fired once a year is stupid.

Feast or fired sucked. Another example of TNA trying to be WWE and failing. What are the problems?

A. You can be punished for winning.

B. It's overly complicated.

C. There are four different briefcases grabbed, so no one cares. Plus, no one knows if the guy is winning a title shot or being fired.

D. The only belts to ever change hands are the X-Division and Tag Team titles, belts NO ONE cares about.

E. The "shock" cash ins, which are already played out, are just killed with this stupid stipulation.

F. No one gives two shits when the briefcase gets cashed in. Look at some of the great cash ins WWE has done. Edge in 06, Punk in 08, Ziggler this year. Remember your reactions when those happened? Of course you do. What about the TNA cash ins? Ummm.... Hernandez? And.... The Band? Yeah, awesome.

G. Worst of all, it made TNA look rinky dink. It made them look so, so minor league. One cannot see this match and not think MITB ripoff. When does a ripoff ever work? The second thing they see is just how much better WWE handles it. Just look at how Orton won the briefcase for example. Orton looked around and slowly climbed the ladder, letting the moment sink in. It was a big moment to end the PPV. In TNA, one guy just grabs the briefcase and no one cares.

I agree with Coolquip's points in the last point. TNA has been big on trying to copy WWE in so many aspects. It's hard to be original in an industry where it's almost all been done before in some form or fashion. When Feast or Fired first happened I admit I was intrigued and believe it could be reintroduced if planned correctly. Right now I don't think it'd be wise to bring it back under TNA's current circumstances of actually cutting people.

Feast or fired sucked. Another example of TNA trying to be WWE and failing. What are the problems?
A. You can be punished for winning.
B. It's overly complicated.
C. There are four different briefcases grabbed, so no one cares. Plus, no one knows if the guy is winning a title shot or being fired.
That's the point. It's a risk to even be in the match which makes sense why some wrestlers wouldn't even want to participate in it. There could be a lot of story possibilities. Imagine if 2 wrestlers opened their briefcase and received title shots. I could see one of the last two guys trying to get rid of his case knowing that there's a 50/50 chance he has a pink slip.

And I disagree with the fact no one cares. I definitely cared enough to think it was an interesting concept. Would you say the pinfalls in an Elimination Chamber don't matter because only the last one counts?

D. The only belts to ever change hands are the X-Division and Tag Team titles, belts NO ONE cares about.

E. The "shock" cash ins, which are already played out, are just killed with this stupid stipulation.

F. No one gives two shits when the briefcase gets cashed in. Look at some of the great cash ins WWE has done. Edge in 06, Punk in 08, Ziggler this year. Remember your reactions when those happened? Of course you do. What about the TNA cash ins? Ummm.... Hernandez? And.... The Band? Yeah, awesome.

G. Worst of all, it made TNA look rinky dink. It made them look so, so minor league. One cannot see this match and not think MITB ripoff. When does a ripoff ever work? The second thing they see is just how much better WWE handles it. Just look at how Orton won the briefcase for example. Orton looked around and slowly climbed the ladder, letting the moment sink in. It was a big moment to end the PPV. In TNA, one guy just grabs the briefcase and no one cares.

I completely agree that TNA dropped the ball. Feast or Fired could have been as epic as MitB was for WWE, but they failed to capitalize on its potential. Those cash-ins were mostly b.s., but I think they could have some very creative and interesting stories if they actually decided to put some THOUGHT into who wins the briefcases. Hernandez and Scott Steiner were ridiculous. They need to think of the potential stories first, and then book the match.

Take away the shots for the X-Division Championship and Tag Team Championships, and the match would've been tolerable. I actually can buy into a wrestler putting his career on the line for a world heavyweight championship, so I wouldn't get rid of the pink slip. Think about it, the world heavyweight championship is the reason why dam near every wrestler gets into the business in the first place. Said wrestler wants to achieve the pinnacle of success, and be the top guy in the company. So I can easily buy into a wrestler putting all their eggs into a basket for a chance at becoming WHC, because it's a once and lifetime opportunity.

But yeah, the shots for tag belts and the X-Division title just cheapened whatever prestige the Feast Or Fired match could've had by tuning it into a big joke. You don't just throw in two mid card titles in the same match that includes a shot for TNA's World Heavyweight Championship. Not as bad as the clusterfuck mess known as King Of The Mountain, but I don't miss Feast Or Fired at all.

Take away the shots for the X-Division Championship and Tag Team Championships, and the match would've been tolerable. I actually can buy into a wrestler putting his career on the line for a world heavyweight championship, so I wouldn't get rid of the pink slip. Think about it, the world heavyweight championship is the reason why dam near every wrestler gets into the business in the first place. Said wrestler wants to achieve the pinnacle of success, and be the top guy in the company. So I can easily buy into a wrestler putting all their eggs into a basket for a chance at becoming WHC, because it's a once and lifetime opportunity.

But yeah, the shots for tag belts and the X-Division title just cheapened whatever prestige the Feast Or Fired match could've had by tuning it into a big joke. You don't just throw in two mid card titles in the same match that includes a shot for TNA's World Heavyweight Championship. Not as bad as the clusterfuck mess known as King Of The Mountain, but I don't miss Feast Or Fired at all.
No one wants the tag team or X-Division briefcases. Those are compensation prizes. The wrestlers are still putting themselves on the line for a World title shot, the only difference is that some of them are getting Runner-Up prizes.

They absolutely do NOT need that crap! The BFG series winner gets a World Title shot, they have the Deuces Wild tournament for tag teams and they have different sorts of available matches to give an X-Division Title shot which in turn can be cashed in for a World Title shot. As for the firing, TNA seems to have inventive ways to lose competent wrestlers even when they would like to retain their services so...

Besides, the unpredictability factor for that match was almost nil. Just when they had that dumbass "random" BFG series matches where all 6 matches could be seen coming from miles away. Whenever TNA tries to be unpredictable, they end up with Sabin becoming World champ in the weakest of ways.

They can take their Feast or Fired match and basically leave it wherever it is right now.

At first, it was cool to see. It was cool to watch just like the King of the Mountain matches. After you have watched the first one, you have basically seen them all. It was a total clusterfuck and why certain people went for a particular briefcase baffled me at first. After that, it was simply using my brain to figure out that they were already predetermined. Spare me, I know all wrestling is scripted but for seeing the match for the first time, it actually felt unscripted. Then, all the luster went away in which the match served no purpose.

I do not want to see it back personally. It is a mess, it is a bad if not worse than the thing Homicide could not climb out of. Just leave it in the been there done that book. While it is in there, lets keep the reverse rumble, KOTM, anything on a pole and Terror Dome matches in the book too. With lots and lots of dust as it never needs to be witnessed again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back