• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who deserves the next shot at the Lightweight title?

JWGunslinger

Warrior Forever
As many of you know the lightweight division is currently one of the deepest in the UFC. Right now there are several men knocking on the door of a title shot after Frankie Edgar and Grey Maynard finish their trilogy for the belt. My question is who deserves it the most? Jim Miller? Clay Guida? Melvin Guillard? Or another top LW? Discuss :)

It's a terribly difficult decision to make as all of those guys are very worthy of a title shot. The bad thing is, there are three men worthy of a shot meaning two of them should fight and one get the shot. In my honest opinion, Jim Miller deserves the next shot. He has enough quality wins to get the shot, and he has been waiting. Have Clay fight Melvin for the shot after that. That should hold them off until Gil comes over to the UFC and fights the current champion at that time. I don't think it matters though as I see Melvin beating all of them as long as he has his head on straight. A Gil vs Melvin fight would be fucking fireworks so I hope it turns out like that.

I personaly would like to see a small eliminator challenge for this #1 contendership. I'm not sure if that would work, but in my eyes Lightweight is so fucking stacked atm. We could have a shit ton of good Lightweight fights on our hand. Maybe like a small tournie like strikeforce is holding right now for the Hvwt guys. Have two fights on a card then go up to the final two. Have the final two ME one of the ppv's. Make it a free ppv to or whatever floats their boat.

Clay Guida tbh, because imo, Pettis was next in line, but Clay beat him, so Clay should be next in line, you can make him flight Melvin before giving him the shot, but realy, id rather have Pettis v Edger (or Maynard w.e is the champ) and Melvin V Miller then have the two winners square off, so i guess imo id let Clay have his shot, i truly thing against either Maynard or Edgar he could win, his style is somthing i think both men would have difficulty dealing with, and with his new found fire, hes defo a contender that has to be looked at, hed outwork Melvin and Miller, so imho they need to get in line after Clay,

I never thought there could be a scenario where a division is OVERstacked. Now this is just my personal view but Jim Miller deserves the next title shot. Miller is riding a 7 fight win streak and looks to be improving every time he enters the octagon. From his slick knee bar of Brazil's "next big thing" Charles Oliveira to smashing Kamal Shalorus' face at UFC 128, Miller has tore through everyone. Miller is 10-1 inside the UFC and his only losses come to the #1 and #2 lightweight in the world from earlier on in his career. If Miller defeats Ben Henderson at UFC on Versus 5, there is no way they can't not give him the title shot.

As for Guillard and Guida, in an ideal world I would love to see those two fight in a title eliminator but that won't happen since they are both team mates. I know he is injured but I'd love to see Guillard vs Sherk. I think Guillard has not fought as strong opponents as Jim Miller has. Guillard has victories over Waylon Lowe, Shane Roller, Ronnys Torres, Evan Dunham and (can be argued that he lost) Jeremy Stephens. Guillard would be second best to Miller as far as I see it. I think a rematch with Dennis Siver makes sense now that both fighters have vastly improved and the UFC really want to bring Siver along. Winner of the Siver and Guillard fight would get the next title shot after Edgar/Maynard vs Miller winner.

Finally Clay Guida. I can't think of someone in the UFC to match him up with at the moment. Maybe if Melendez beats Masvidal at a later date, Guilda can welcome him to the Octagon? If the UFC and Guida want to stay active, maybe they can match up Cerrone and Guida provided Cerrone gets past Paul Taylor at UFC on Versus 5.

Meh that is just how I see but the UFC lightweight picture is a right mess at this moment. If only Edgar/Maynard II had happened at UFC 130, we could have gotten some answers.

Jim Miller is the most deserving of a title shot, end of story. After this whole Maynard/Edgar thing gets figured out, Miller makes the most sense as the next challenger to the belt. He is riding a 7 fight win streak that includes notable wins over Danzig, Ludwig, Bocek, Tibau, Oliveira and Shalorous. And, if he defeats a former WEC champion in Benson then there is no denying him the next shot. It also doesn't hurt that he gets better and more impressive with every victory. He would provide a terrific match up to either Maynard or Edgar in a title fight. But, he needs to be careful because Benson is no push over. Bendo will give Miller one hell of a fight, mark my words.

After Miller I would have to say that Guida would get my support for the next title shot. It would make sense to put Guida and Guillard in a title eliminator but I don't think that will happen. But, when you look at who Guida has beaten recently and in his career, he is the better choice. Sure, Guillard is rolling right now and looks unbeatable, but his competition hasn't been nearly as stiff as Guida's. Guillard's most impressive win was over Evan Dunham, whereas Guida picked up decisive wins against Gomi and Pettis recently. Guida is the second highest contender, followed by Guillard.

I like Jim Miller a lot, but people seem to over hype his win streak. He's didn't look as impressive in the bouts with Tibau and Bocek and those are the two biggest names in his streak. Oliveira is a hot prospect no doubt but is also as green as a vegetarians turd and got caught for being too active grappling wise. He's got massive skills obviously but I think as far as quality wins go Guida has a few more and Guillard has Dunahms name on his resume which speaks highly of him as well.

With all that being said, I still think that Miller should and will get the next title shot if he ges past Bendo. Then it's a toss up really because you can't eliminate Guillard or Guida by pitting them against one another because of the Jackson camp tie. They're also both fan favorites because of their styles so really either would do. I think that Guida has the better resume at this point but Guillard has been more impressive in victory and I expect him to tko Lauzon this fall as well. Still with Miller apparently being the number one contender if he doesn't lose his next bout, we aren't looking at needing another contender (after Jim) until late summer next year. That would be a long while for Guida to sit out so I think they would give him the loser of Miller/Bendo which would be fun to watch. That would be long for Guillard to sit out as well. Tough calls to be made here but stuff should become more clear after Maynard/Edgar 3 finally goes down.

I love Melvin Guillard so I considered saying him just because I'd love to watch that fight, but honestly, I think it's got to be Guida. Anthony Pettis was the logical choice seeing as how he was the WEC Lightweight Champ and it seemed only fair to give him a title shot in the UFC since his title was basically taken from him right after he got it. And since Guida beat Pettis, it seems natural that the title shot should go to Guida.

I'd say the winner of Ben Henderson and Jim Miller gets the shot. Especially is Miller wins because he is on a streak at the moment. The only thing going against him is the loss to both Edgar and Maynard before.

Nearly. VERY nearly went on about Light Heavyweight as opposed to Lightweight. Goddamn close similarities between names.

Anyway.

Miller has the record and the win streak to definitely go forward. I adore Henderson too and I wish they would put them forward HOWEVER; Clay Guida could also be a GREAT shoe in for a contender and I think this could be a great fight.

Melvin Guillard could also be a viable contender...

I don't see Henderson being in a contention picture. He's ranked 21st - Miller ranked 7th. While they'll tear the house down, it won't be for contention I would imagine. Henderson needs a good few more fights under his belt, a 13-2 record is NOT a huge record and he needs a few more before contention can come knocking.

Clay is the next ranked guy for UFC after Maynard/Edgar so I'd say Guida gets the nod.

I give Pettis props for being a gamer and not wanting to wait, but that turned out to be a really dumb move. It is a toss up for me between Melvin Guillard, Jim Miller and Clay Guida. Melvin has been destroying people here lately, and he slowed Evan Dunham's hype train and I think he should dispose of Joe Lauzon pretty quickly. Miller impressed me against an overhyped Charles Oliveria, but didn't look title fight worty against Kamal Shalorous IMO, and people are sleeping on Ben Henderson, he is not going to be a cake walk for Miller. I would imagine Guida is the obvious choice for the UFC brass due to his defeat of Pettis, but I think a Guida/Maynard fight would be a 25 minute snooze fest and a Guida/Edgar fight wouldn't be much better. If I had to pick one of the three, I would go with Melvin, because I know he is going to try and finish whoever he is in there with.

Ben Henderson now that he just beat Miller but he may be scheduled to fight Guida in a Contendership Bout

How does Bendo deserve the next shot? I love Bendo but he only has two wins in the UFC right now and the last guy he lost to got beat by Guida. Bendo is right where he should be, in a contenders fight or situation, but not the number one option. Honestly Guida probably deserves the next shot at the belt, given the guys at the top, but there is way to much time for him to just sit around. Also, Melvin Guillard is ahead of Bendo right now as well. If Bendo can win his next fight and it is against either Guida, Guillard, or even in a rematch with Pettis or another top guy in the division, then maybe he would be number one, but until then he will sit at the three spot at best. He just needs another big win in the UFC under his belt to solidify his shot at the belt.

How does Bendo deserve the next shot? I love Bendo but he only has two wins in the UFC right now and the last guy he lost to got beat by Guida. Bendo is right where he should be, in a contenders fight or situation, but not the number one option. Honestly Guida probably deserves the next shot at the belt, given the guys at the top, but there is way to much time for him to just sit around. Also, Melvin Guillard is ahead of Bendo right now as well. If Bendo can win his next fight and it is against either Guida, Guillard, or even in a rematch with Pettis or another top guy in the division, then maybe he would be number one, but until then he will sit at the three spot at best. He just needs another big win in the UFC under his belt to solidify his shot at the belt.

But Guida's recent decision victory wasn't all that dominant, Bendo still had a major win by defeating Miller who was riding on a streak, I would say let him fight Guida in a contendership bout.

But Guida's recent decision victory wasn't all that dominant, Bendo still had a major win by defeating Miller who was riding on a streak, I would say let him fight Guida in a contendership bout.

Guida is on a longer win streak over tougher competition. And yeah, neither will be fighting for a belt anytime soon seeing as Edgar vs. Maynard needs to be settled first. The most logical move is to pit the two in a number one contenders fight. Miller was a big cap in Bendo's hat but that's just one win. Guida picked up quality victories over Dos Anjos, Gomi and Pettis. We aren't completely disagreeing on what should happen, but in no way should Bendo get a title shot over Guida. Let them fight to decide who gets the title fight.

Clay Guida vs. Ben Henderson needs to be set-up and the winner of that fight deserves the next shot at the title.

I've always liked Clay Guida, but he's really lost a ton of my respect these past few months. First of all, lay and praying Pettis was a bitch move and in my opinion, I think since it was Pettis doing all the work, he deserved to win that fight. Secondly, Guida DUCKING Bendo is even more of a bitch move. Saying how he deserves a title shot right away.... give me a fucking break. You're the same Clay Guida that got tooled by Kenny Florian a few fights back. He don't deserve shit without winning one more fight, preferably against Ben Henderson, whose win over Jim Miller was more impressive than anything Guida has done his entire career.

Ehh, I'm still not sold on Guillard being next in line. He's got 5 wins in a row but they're not exactly over the toughest competition. I still think Dunham was ridiculously overrated in the first place. If Guillard beats Lauzon and if Dennis Siver beats Sam Stout, then I think Guillard and Siver should fight. Siver's a much better fighter than he was the last time they fought.

I hope Jim Miller gets another chance to prove himself and they give him a fight against a top contender for his next fight. Sometimes fighters just have bad nights. He became too focused in trying to submit Bendo, who is unsubmittable in the first place. He's a much better fighter than that, and I absolutely believe he's still championship material. I'd like to see Miller vs. Sherk, who says he's ready to get back into the cage.

Guida vs. Bendo for #1 contendership makes a lot of sense right now. Guida did beat the defacto #1 contender in Pettis, and Bendo completely dominated the defacto #1 contender in Miller. Plus, Bendo was dominating the WEC and that fight against Pettis was extremely close and he might have won if it wasn't for the Showtime kick.

Personally, I think the Ben Henderson that defeated Jim Miller last week was the best fighter overall in the division. He keeps on improving at a rapid rate and I truly believe that he can defeat Frankie Edgar/Gray Maynard.

It really looks to me like all signs are pointing towards Clay Guida vs. Ben Henderson for the #1 contender status, which is all well and good. However, Like was said, Guida has more quality wins in his current streak than Henderson does. Not only that, but look at how those victories happened; Guida submitted Shannon Gugerty to start the streak, then followed up with submissions over Dos Anjos and Gomi. And finally, he controlled the fight with Pettis, the guy who was supposed to fight for the title in the first place had the draw between Edgar and Maynard not happened, and he won the easy decision. Henderson on the other hand, went to a decision Mark Bocek, and dominated in every aspect Jim Miller. While they were all great fights, the UFC brass thinks much more highly of finishes than they do decisions.

Both guys have their "big" wins during the streak, Guida having Pettis, Henderson having Miller. But it really seems to me that people have forgotten that only 2 fights ago, Henderson lost to Pettis, aka, the guy who just got beat by Guida. In my opinion, that fact makes Guida a little bit more deserving of the title shot next. I'm not a supporter of MMA Math in any way, shape or form, but the facts don't lie; Guida is more deserving of the next crack at the belt.

I really think that Ben Henderson deserves the next shot at the Light Heavyweight title. He beat Jim Miller, who would have had my vote if Ben didn't beat him. Like jmt said earlier, Pettis deserved to beat Guida and that's my reason why Guida shouldn't get a title shot. Ben actually broke a 7 fight win streak when he beat Jim Miller. Guida? Didn't do much.

I really think that Ben Henderson deserves the next shot at the Light Heavyweight title. He beat Jim Miller, who would have had my vote if Ben didn't beat him. Like jmt said earlier, Pettis deserved to beat Guida and that's my reason why Guida shouldn't get a title shot. Ben actually broke a 7 fight win streak when he beat Jim Miller. Guida? Didn't do much.

I really don't see why Bendo deserves the next shot. He has had two wins and in a stacked division like the Lightweights have right now a 2 win streak isn't going to cut it. I'd be more willing to say yes after he wins another fight whether it be against Guillard, Guida, Siver, etc.

On who I think deserves the next shot. It's a hard question because it was only 6 months ago that I thought G-Sot or Miller were the ones next in line for the shot. Now even though not much time has passed... It's enough for me to have changed my mind. I honestly see Clay getting the next shot. He beat the guy who was as hyped as I have ever seen... Stopped him. Does that give him enough to warrant a title shot maybe, maybe not. At this moment, with all of the sharks surrounding the prey it's honestly too hard to tell.

I just have the urge of reiterating my last point... Edgar vs. Maynard is still a month away. Now is the time for the UFC to make a #1 Contender fight between Bendo and Guida and go from there. There's no point in just granting one of those guys the shot and then have the other fight someone barely in the top 10... that wouldn't be fair.

Either bring in Gilbert Melendez to face the winner of Edgar/Maynard (let's be honest... Melendez is the #1 Lightweight in the World), or book Bendo vs. Guida to decide who should get the next shot at the UFC Lightweight Title. Guida nor Bendo do not, DO NOT, deserve a title shot without winning one more fight. Melendez, on the other hand, with his streak and quality of names he has beaten, could come right in and get an immediate title shot as far as I'm concerned. However, since Melendez is lined up to defend his Strikeforce Lightweight Title... Guida vs. Bendo is the ONLY option at this point.

I'm with you JMT, they absolutely need to make Bendo/Guida for a title shot. There is nothing else that makes any sense. Both fighters do not deserve a title shot with their current win streak yet a title shot for the winner of this fight would certainly be justified. If they truly are keeping Gil over in Strikeforce, this is the only logical fight. This does leave Melvin Guillard in an awkward position though. By the time this fight would happen and the winner faces the champion, Strikeforce will almost certainly be folded into the UFC. That means Gil comes over and gets an automatic title shot. Meanwhile, Melvin sits on the outskirts. It's a tough situation and i'm sure the UFC is brainstorming every possible idea on how to manage the title picture.

If this fight were to go down between Guida and Bendo, i'd say Bendo would win rather easily. He has a much larger frame than Guida and has a very strong base with those tree trunk legs. He will dictate where the fight takes place and will beat Guida up from every position. Guida would need to hope Bendo tires out which is highly unlikely. From there i'd say Bendo beats both Maynard and Edgar to set up a HUGE fight with Gil. Just my thoughts on how the actual fights would go and I could be wrong, but Bendo has impressed the hell out of me since coming to the UFC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back