Who are the grestest tag team to never be tag team champions?

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
I was watching the WWE legends roundtable on WWE classics on depend TV (Comcast) this week. And their topic this month around was tag teams in wrestling. And there has been great tag teams from over the years. The hart fondation, the road warriors, the APA, the dudley boyz and such that has won tag team gold in their day. They also showed tag teams that sucked or just didn't get along behind the scene's (like Rocky Johnson & Tony Atlas).

But my question is who was the best tag team that never won tag team gold in any wrestling promotion? I mean a real tag team! Not one thrown together like MVP & Mark Henry over on RAW. I really don't know? But from the top of my head from what I can remember. I'd probraly have to say the tag team of T & A (Test & Albert) from 2000-01. They had real good chemistry together. And a bomb azz manager that was Trish Stratus. They were in alot of tag team title matches, but never won the belts?

So I'm kind of confliced! I need help with this decision.

I am not sure if you mean World Tag Championships or just any so I will answer with teams who never won a World Title. You may notice that all are older as that is when I was watching wrestling the most.

My list....

10. sheepherders- while most will laugh remembering the bushwacker gimic, those who remember the sheepherder in the early eighties to late eighties know they were one of the most feared teams around. rough brawlers, the won titles all thru the southern part of the country but never captured a world title.

9. can am connection- while they did not tag too long together i think they were one of the best teams. martel and zenk seemed to fit perfectly together and they gave the harts a run for their money. zenk doesn't bolt and i think the can ams would have been champs instead of strike force.

8. powers of pain- never really liked them but give credit where its due. they were big and imposing and moved pretty good for big guys. never really challenged for the nwa title but probably should have upended demolition once. would have definitely been awa champs if they chose to go there.

7. islanders- one of the rare teams that were great as both faces and heels. adding heenan as manager was classic but team never really got title shots.

6. rougeau brothers- like can ams this team gave harts all they could handle. neither very big but great teamwork and wrestling knowledge made up for it. did technically defeat harts for title in montreal but next day the decision was reversed and belts returned to harts( sort of like rockers).

5. killer bees- i sometimes think that the reason the harts were so great was all the great teams they defended against. another here as brunzel and blair used superb teamwork and speed to make up for size.

4. fabulous freebirds(hayes, roberts and gordy)- while hayes and garvin held the nwa titles as the freebirds no two members of the orignal threesome ever held world gold. reginal titles like wccw or mid south but never the big ones.

3. fabulous ones- kiern and lane. one of the first teams i saw when i started watching awa. thought for sure they would be champs but, like the freebirds, won smaller titles but never the big ones.

2. the fantastics- in my opinion one of the most underated teams ever. fulton and rogers could go hold for hold and toe to toe with anyone. twice made it to the semis of the crockett cup and had one of the greatest fueds ever with the sheepherders but again, never the big ones.

1. ole and arn anderson- one of the greatest teams ever. while ole and arn held the nwa title with different partners they never wore them together. great teamwork with the patented anderson style of working on the openents left arm until he quit, they were rough, brutal and skilled.

Since the WWE refuses to acknowledge their title victory at a house show, and officially doesn't consider them to be former tag team champs, and you only want to count the "big" promotions, how about the Rockers? Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty were so freaking over with the fans it was ridiculous. They were AWA champs, but, given the context of your post, that would count as a regional title, not a world title...

Since the WWE refuses to acknowledge their title victory at a house show, and officially doesn't consider them to be former tag team champs, and you only want to count the "big" promotions, how about the Rockers? Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty were so freaking over with the fans it was ridiculous. They were AWA champs, but, given the context of your post, that would count as a regional title, not a world title...

At the time the Midnight Rockers were AWA Tag champs they were considered World titles, not regional. The AWA defended their titles all across the US from here in PA to California, not just in their home state of Minnesota. They also defended them overseas in Europe and Japan. They were world champs.

The Andersons is a good one, that I hadn't realised actually, but I thought of another one yesterday. While I remember what it was, I'll make a comment about the Mega Powers who wrestled as a tag team for a year, beating everyone without winning the tag titles. I liked the Killer Bees too, essentially their day's Hardy Boys, but there is another team from the late 80s that I think deserve the accolades. The Fabulous Rougeaus are one of the most underrated teams ever, and despite having more heat than most teams in their epoch. Their natural successors The Quebecers did manage to get the titles, but these two never did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back