• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which X Division is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryukuma

Occasional Pre-Show
Heres an interesting thought that did come to my mind, and thats which X Division Made you care more, and which one made you more entertained.

The 2 Im thinking of would be when X Division wasn't heavily gimmicked, and had the like of Styles And Daniels as champions.

And the heavily Gimmicked one where every X Division Star now has a gimmick, would be Where your champion Is Black Machismo Jay Lethal, Muscle Mapleleaf Petey Williams, and the sort.

Where do you personally think that fans are more entertained by, and where do you think the wrestlers will make an actual name for themselves.

Personally to me I loved the time of Styles, and Daniels in main contention for the belt, because It was far more serious, and made the belt seem like alot. Dont get me wrong I dont think the new one is terrible, but I do think the belt has lost alot of prestiege, and doesnt have people caring as much for it.

Please share your thoughts and opinions

Personally I believe that some fans like the Black Machismo gimmick, as shown by the merchandise sales. I would prefer just proper x division wrestling since it pretty much defined tna. I don't mind the Maple leaf muscle gimmick though.

I like a nice balance of both styles - gimmick and serious. I think the gimmick styles are easier when it comes to marketing (especially merchandise). It is very common in Mexican wrestling to see gimmicks sell on their shows. It doesn't hurt their belts or reputations to have gimmicky type characters with straps. It is the style and pace of wrestling that sells the matches. I would prefer to see the high flying, high risk manuevers and fast paced style of Mexican wrestling in the X Division, whether it is from Maple Leaf Muscle or AJ Styles. I haven't found the storyline of 3D in the X Division entertaining as it has slowed down the matches and have made them predictable. Overall, I think the quality of the matches are lacking in the X Division of new compared to old.

The days where the "shut up and wrestle" concept are over and far gone. If wrestlers who just come out and bump and hit high spots were popular, then the WWE would not be such a mainstay ratingswise. Sure people do get tired of endless speeches by everybody, but they still want to know that a wrestler has a personality as well.

I mean there is a reason who Low-ki/Senshi did not get as over as Samoa Joe eventually did. It was because a wrestler needs personality as well as good skills. I like the Maple Leaf Muscle, Black Machismo, Motor City Machine Guns, Curry Man gimmicks. They are entertaining and show the range of these wrestlers, while at the same time making these wrestlers more marketable.

I agree with Johan. the proof is in the merchandise sales. Some of the higher merchandise sales come from X-Division stars from the NEW X-Division.

The days where the "shut up and wrestle" concept are over and far gone. If wrestlers who just come out and bump and hit high spots were popular, then the WWE would not be such a mainstay ratingswise. Sure people do get tired of endless speeches by everybody, but they still want to know that a wrestler has a personality as well.

I mean there is a reason who Low-ki/Senshi did not get as over as Samoa Joe eventually did. It was because a wrestler needs personality as well as good skills. I like the Maple Leaf Muscle, Black Machismo, Motor City Machine Guns, Curry Man gimmicks. They are entertaining and show the range of these wrestlers, while at the same time making these wrestlers more marketable.

I agree with Johan. the proof is in the merchandise sales. Some of the higher merchandise sales come from X-Division stars from the NEW X-Division.

Amen. Many wrestling fans, including myself, prefer the "old" X-Division to the "new" era. When TNA was just starting up, the original X matches were off the charts. That was what made TNA the alternative, people tuning in to see the 5-star matches with AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Low-Ki / Senshi, Jerry Lynn, and so on...

Now that TNA has grown and is slowly gaining some momentum with touring around the country, doing more house shows and PPVs out of the Impact Zone, and a slot on Spike TV, they are in need of marketable X-Division stars. Many people may not like Black Machismo's gimmick, but face it, his star has really risen. Plus, the "Maple Leaf Muscle" deal is doing good for Petey Williams. Plus, sticking him in backstage segments with a more recognizable star like Scott Steiner helps draw people in to his character a little more.

On top of all that, many of the stars of old have moved on. AJ Styles and Samoa Joe have moved up to the main event, or "heavyweight" division, Jerry Lynn, Senshi, Matt Bentley / Michael Shane, and others have left the company.

So in all, the "new" X-Division is here to stay. They are focusing on building stars with personalities and talent, as Spawn stated. But, I will always remember the X-Division of old :)icon_cry:)...

I started watching Impact just after the Golden age of the X Division but have seen a few note worthy matches and there was more of a focus on the actual wrestling but as people have stated you cab see how much some people have improved their characters recently.

Black Machismo is still working out great for Jay Lethal and im starting to wonder if we will somehow see the Heel turn from Sunjay at maybe Lockdown with Petey Williams winning the title and then having Steiner use his title shot against Williams.

As much as i like Lethal as champ this would be good as a Dutt heel turn is just what he could need, a more serious part where his desire for So Cal Val makes him turn oh his friend, and a feud with Stiener over the X Title could be great for Petey as im loving the Maple Leaf Muscle character and the rub from Scotty should do him good.

I think if we give it some time the X Division will soon have a lot of the focus put back on the action, especially with the X Cup returning and now quite a few wrestlers have become more comfortable on screen and really improved their mike work so could really be something special again.

To point to some merch sales from now is kinda short sited.

The reason these people even know about TNA is because of what AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Low Ki, and Jerry Lynn did it to put them on the map.

X Divison of today is the same old thing in every match. When was the last time you saw in a one on one match either particpant go over clean with a finisher? Next point what was the best match on television last year, I bet everyone would auto think the Cena/Michaels 45 minute match on Raw. With that being said what was the longest TNA match on TV in recent memory...... Maybe the first Kaz v Angle cause I think it went through two commercial breaks. The point is no matter what the gimmick may be if you put good wrestlers in a match with complimentary styles they wil put on amazing matches which will lead to larger diverse fan base and furthermore greater ratings. If AJ's I'm phenomenal in the ring and will be a face who just puts on amazing matches gimmick was going instead of o look at me im the prince of phenomenal, acting dumb and chasing my bosses wife while i'm married maybe more people then the 1.1 rating would tune in. In order to get competitive with the leader you have to bring something different to the industry. Go back to the roots great matches with great entertainers will lead to more people tuning in and the advancement of your product. Someone disagree with me that a Lethal v Dutt v Sabin v Shelley Ultimate X match lasting like 40 mins with spot after spot after spot wouldnt have people glued to their tv.

Alright I understand the fact that the merchandise sells for all these new gimmicks, but like what matt just said, the reason most of us did tune into TNA was because of the original X Division.

The original division is what got the 1.1 rating. I know people are moving onto better things in the company, but you shouldn't take away all the seriousness, and how important it was to win. I look at lethal as champ, and I always wonder whos the number one contender.

I personally find myself having no real reason to keep watching TNA at this point. The seriousness of the X-Divison was the main reason I watched, now that that is gone, we are left with a company that is practically WWE, the only good parts of Impact anymore are the womens matches in my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find myself having no real reason to keep watching TNA at this point. The seriousness of the X-Divison was the main reason I watched, now that that is gone, we are left with a company that is practically WWE, the only good parts of Impact anymore are the title matches in my opinion.

The original x division was a lot beter than what it is today. The first x division match I saw was Austin Aries vs. Roderick Strong vs. Alex Shelley vs. Sonjay Dutt at Bound Fro Glory 2005. I thought t was freaking amazing. I thought, these guys don't really have gimmicks (except for Shelley ad Dutt, but there small), they just wanna put pon a good show for these people.
That is what wrestling is all about, Not about the gimmicks, but putting on a good wrestling match to make a good show for the fans.

I didnt really watch the old school X back in the Nashville and early Orlando days, but from what ive heard and what ive seen on youtube it looks immence. But obviously like any business you have change all the time. And although the old X was amazing and thats what brought in alot of fans to TNA, you then have to keep the fans there and keep them entertained, lets face it we cant all have 5 star X matches on iMPACT every night. So what do you do? Invent gimmicks, I love the maple leaf muscle and even those of you who dont like it, surely its better than keeping Petey of TV? The machismo gimmick is outstanding and has really made Lethal and I dont see in edning any time soon. So all in all even though the old X was amazing the new X is here and TNA needs characters to market for more revenue for better shows. Long live the new X!

I didnt really watch the old school X back in the Nashville and early Orlando days, but from what ive heard and what ive seen on youtube it looks immence. But obviously like any business you have change all the time. And although the old X was amazing and thats what brought in alot of fans to TNA, you then have to keep the fans there and keep them entertained, lets face it we cant all have 5 star X matches on iMPACT every night. So what do you do? Invent gimmicks, I love the maple leaf muscle and even those of you who dont like it, surely its better than keeping Petey of TV? The machismo gimmick is outstanding and has really made Lethal and I dont see in edning any time soon. So all in all even though the old X was amazing the new X is here and TNA needs characters to market for more revenue for better shows. Long live the new X!

But my point from an earlier post, was saying that the original X was was brought in the fans and ratings, and so if thats the case then why change something like that so drastically. I dont disagree with the new gimmicks, but they did a complete 180 from the original. If the original X is what brang in the fans, and now the ratings havn't had any consistent change, then I have to believe that losing the original X is one of those reasons. Im sure many other factors, but it seems to be a main one

i prefer the original x-division as well, but i think it is getting oversold here. the action in the matches was great, fantastic, really. but the matches themselves were spot fests with no story told, and always went on long after the highest spot. it was just amateurish. now, it's the opposite problem.

I think that if TNA actually pushed the X Division more, added a few serious stars (Consequences Creed) and gave the match time, it could re-establish the division. Not every gimmick has to be completely serious like it was in 2002. Now the X Division stars have character and depth

But my point from an earlier post, was saying that the original X was was brought in the fans and ratings, and so if thats the case then why change something like that so drastically. I dont disagree with the new gimmicks, but they did a complete 180 from the original. If the original X is what brang in the fans, and now the ratings havn't had any consistent change, then I have to believe that losing the original X is one of those reasons. Im sure many other factors, but it seems to be a main one

Actually, if you look at all of the statistics involved, TNA's ratings did not rise above .7 with the old X-Division. Once TNA creative began to give the X-Division and Knockout division stars personalities and gimmicks to go with their abilities, the ratings rose to where they are now. They may not be jumping anymore, bu the difference is inthe ratings. The new X-Disions works. maybe not on a levels where us "smarks" can be satisfied, but as Ant on Celebrity Fit Club says "The Scales Don't Lie."

TNA X division is a lot better than WWE cruiserweights. The likes of Sonjay Dutt, Homicide, Jay Lethal, The Motorcity Machine Guns, Petey Williams and others would kick the likes of Funaki, Chavo Guerroro, Jamie Noble, Shannon Moore and Jimmy Wang Yangs butt.
:flair:

not necessarily. Jamie Noble is one of the best cruiserweights in the world. why do you think ROH signed him after WWE fired him? his work rate would far surpass the likes of Jay Lethal or a Sonjay Dutt. Jimmy Yang was part of the flying Elvises in TNA. the WWE guys have a lot more experience than most of the TNA x division starts... although thats not what we're discussing here.... the fact that they gave the X division stars gimmicks is what most of us wanted. I think the X Division today is FAR better than it was back when it first started. why? because of the GIMMICKS.

Actually, if you look at all of the statistics involved, TNA's ratings did not rise above .7 with the old X-Division. Once TNA creative began to give the X-Division and Knockout division stars personalities and gimmicks to go with their abilities, the ratings rose to where they are now. They may not be jumping anymore, bu the difference is inthe ratings. The new X-Disions works. maybe not on a levels where us "smarks" can be satisfied, but as Ant on Celebrity Fit Club says "The Scales Don't Lie."

Spawn, i know where you're coming from and i agree part...but just to throw it in a whole new direction, did the change in ratings come as a result of angle joining and the x-d changed to accomodate the new viewers, or did the x-division changing attract the higher ratings.

the point in bold is key. i prefer the old, gimmick free version because i like AJ and Daniels and am not a big fan of gimmicks, especially of the deep sea/texan variety. but give credit, Jay Lethal is doing the job and he wouldn't be where he was without Black Machismo.

Spawn, i know where you're coming from and i agree part...but just to throw it in a whole new direction, did the change in ratings come as a result of angle joining and the x-d changed to accomodate the new viewers, or did the x-division changing attract the higher ratings.

the point in bold is key. i prefer the old, gimmick free version because i like AJ and Daniels and am not a big fan of gimmicks, especially of the deep sea/texan variety. but give credit, Jay Lethal is doing the job and he wouldn't be where he was without Black Machismo.

I know that gimmicks work to get people over. But alot of the fans tuned in because of the original X, and if spawn is right which im sure he is, then that still means a majority of fans came during the original new style of wrestling. While new gimmicks are never a bad thing, the problem lies in the fact that the x division doesnt really seem like that big of a deal anymore, I would go as far to say that its heading the way of the intercontinental title, where noone really cares about the title. But the wrestlers are good, it just seems no good feud has come from this new x division ever since the old one deceased. And I dont count the dudley feud into this. Im talking more of a one on one feud.

thats more to do with how TNA pushes it's product. when TNA didn't have the big names like angle and booker t to push them, the x-division was its big draw. now it's lessened because of the change in pushes.

to be honest, with the way the pushes have changed lately, it seems as if TNA is trying to ween people off the big names and move them on to the likes of Black Machismo. new names for the new fans. then move the focus to x-division again. it's my theory and im probably wrong. but i think TNA will try to get back to the old x-d eventually.

I enjoy some of the gimmicks because it adds a sense of flavor to the X-Division, but come on!!! Black Machismo has been champion for much too long and TNA seems to have been focusing on the Heavyweight division a lot more heavily within the past year or so.

TNA needs to remember its roots and why it became so popular in the first place. THE X-DIVISION. This division created an alternate to the WWE/Vince Macmahon style of wrestling where the bigger man is always pushed. The Styles and Daniels era is where it was @. I mean come on, that Dudleys X-Division storyline was just ******ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back