Which Wrestler Aged to Perfection?

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
Ah, yes, wrestling; the only "sport" where you can still be kicking it at seventy, and no one would say a damn thing to you. The sad thing is, I'm actually only half kidding; Abdullah the Butcher is only going to be a spry 69 this year, and will turn seventy in 2011. He still goes about his business, and no one has said a thing about it on these forums, I believe. Consider that for a second, he's currently 69. Pardoning the obvious sexual jokes to come from this, I want you to consider this for me for a second; Everyone knows Bobby Cox, right? Currently, the plan is that Bobby Cox, after 26 years of managing, is going to call it quits after this year. He's considered an old man by all accounts, and people describe his career as one of the longest stints of managing in the history of baseball. His exploits have put him next to names like Bowdon and Paterno (different sport) in terms of staying in a place for a very lonf frickin time. Abdullah the Butcher is the same age, still wrestles, and has 18 more years of experience in his profession than Bobby Cox does.

Of course, Abby has really let himself go over time. Wait, sorry, I mean he's always let himself go. But there are some wrestlers out there who have aged, and aged with grace. Some were still able to put on exceptional matches, long after the age of forty. Of course, there are some that haven't aged so well....

03.jpg

I mean... Maybe I feel a little guilty about mocking a man with ailing health... Ah, who am I fucking, I don't at all. Still, unlike some wrestlers, there are plenty that have aged well, and have done quite well for themselves in the business, past their assumed "prime". Hell, some even defined a new prime for themselves, and molded out new careers. That said, who, to you, carved out the best business past their baby boomer ages? Which wrestler has done the best job putting on excellent matches, and being draws, beyond the age of forty? What is the best case of elderly smackdown?

Which wrestler performs the best at an old age?

I'll give a top five run down, personally. Of course, I'm going to give some qualifications, which are basically, the wrestler had to have performed past the age of forty, and be regularly competing beyond that age. Giving me Vince McMahon coming every now and then for matches isn't going to cut the mustard. I want someone who made the same sacrifices as his younger counterparts, and never missed a step... Context wise...

5. Booker T

Who better to go onto this list than the 5 Time WCW Heavyweight Champion. What's often lost on people was that Booker T was 35 when he won his first WCW Heavyweight Championship. New Blood, huh Vince Russo? Anyway, the man then turned in another good ten years on the road, and quite frankly, by Wrestlemania 23, the man was 42. That itself is shocking, and made even more so that only one year earlier, he had his perhaps best reign with a World Heavyweight Championship, as King Booker. I've always been a Booker mark, but even I was shocked that he would find his greatest noteriety in the business as an elder man. Booker T, just as good in the business as he was ten years earlier. Kinda makes you forget, you know, he's old.

4. Hollywood Hogan

Yes, yes, shock and awe, shock and awe. Look, just because Hogan's ring work wasn't great, doesn't mean we can't deny the draw the man is to the wrestling business, especially with the nWo, where he was a young 43 years old upon joining. Let's not get confused, Hogan is solely on this list because of his ability to sell tickets, even with his age. Even in 2002, how many people lined up to now see a 48 year old Hogan tkae the WWE Title, and have one last run of glory. It may have been a victory lap, yes, but you can't deny that even at an advanced age, the man still sold tickets. Granted, he goes to #4, because he couldn't work as well. Then again, I think that has more to do with the formulas of his matches, and little to do with his actual ability.

3. Shawn Michaels

His return to the ring back in 2002 was miraculous, not just for the fact that he had broken his back four years ago, but because, but because when he returned to the business, he was a light hearted, 38 year old man. He'd procede to go out, and usually have the best matches of the night. Of course, I have two problems with Shawn. First of all, I feel as though Shawn could have used this time to actually put over others in the ring, which, well, he didn't really. Second, he didn't exactly have the same schedule all the boys did. That said, his work past the age of forty is to commended, and quite frankly, may have been the best in ring product for his geezer status. But those two things about him have to knock him down to #3.

2. Ric Flair

Forget the Ric Flair that was a caricature of himself in the 2000s, though I did like some of his work. Remember his work in the early forties, either with WWE or WCW. Hell, when he was forty, he had arguably the best Wrestlemania match of all time with Randy Savage at Wrestlemania VIII. His work in WCW from 1993-1998 just defies logic, really, it really does. No one should be that good at that age. Even in WWE, he probably worked better than 75% of the roster at the time, well at the age of fifty. Flair is the most widely accepted old man in the business, and while he may not be the best, he's damn near the top.

And the Number one choice on my list....

funk_terry.jpg

I mean, my God, take a look at his before and after pictures:

terryfunkpo9.png

I've said before how much I hate how his Hardcore Wrestling has impacted the way people view him, as some now view him as nothing more than a "Hardcore Wrestler". That said, Terry Funk didn't just outperform everyone on this list, he redefined himself with his work past forty. What is it, Middle Aged and Crazy? That's the Funker right there. Though I lament that his technical skills are long forgotten, it takes a lot of guts to redefine your career, at a point in wrestling in which you may not be sure what to do with yourself. Hell, Terry Funk should really be viewed on the same level as a pioneer in wrestling as someone like a Hulk Hogan, or a Ric Flair. Paul Heyman credits Terry Funk for keeping ECW alive, and though I have my doubts, I can definitely see that being the case. Whether or not I like to admit it, Funk's hardcore antics at the age. Still, it's pretty evident that Terry could still go in the ring as a technician, still far better than just about any other worker for his age. Here, let's watch one of his "retirement" matches, against Bret Hart. Mind you, this was Terry Funk as the age of 53

[YOUTUBE]ApXPls5bWng&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bvPu6GK99kw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]zXjkiJ2UjYE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]​

Terry Funk; Middle Aged and Crazy? No. Middle Aged and Awesome.

Anyway, that's just me. Which wrestler worked the best past forty?

Weeeeeeeeeeeel, I'm going to sneak this one in even though he's not past forty. At least, not until next week.

992rgm.jpg

Oh yeah, baby. Trips is going to be 41 pretty soon. He's been in the ring since '92. A peek at the old Triple H?

65.jpg

Triple H's best work probably came during the late 90's and going into '01. His recent work isn't bad, but has become a little lackluster as he gets older. His looks (like many wrestlers, a mix of dedication to the gym and chemistry) have held remarkably well for a guy who has worked for almost fourteen years straight (from when he signed with WCW) when not laid out with injury.

wrkoc6.jpg

You can say what you want about his backstage behavior, and the staleness that comes from being an establishment within the company on television for over ten years. He has aged damn well. The man knows how to stay in shape, and I can see him putting in another ten years easily.

I hope you'll forgive me for sneaking him into consideration, Tenta.

You forgot taker...i think his best mania matches have been the last two and hes what 45 now..so i would def add him to that list

Dude, were are the Undertaker and Kurt Angle on that list. Taker been in the WWE for 20years, yet he is number on on any top wrestler list. If you watch matches from his debut up until his years now, he just gets better with age. His striking game, submition, and stroyline expantion have gone up each yeah.

Kurt Angle He's the man in that ring and he has been for the past 6 years. But when he went to TNA, I was that he had really went up in skill and intescity. He's even invented the "450 Knee Drop". He has also masterd the Are to putting over others much like the Undertaker has. Simpley put, these to are the bigest names on your list.

terry funk for sure, i mean, god, when he wrestled on ECW's first ppv, he was 53ish, and he was doing the entire thing on a knee that needed to be replaced 5 years ago, the man is just the best

I'm gonna have to say some people who have aged to perfection in my opinion, the first and foremost, and he still manages to kick it once in a while is the American Dream Dusty Rhodes. Now I only say this because I was just watching the Randy Savage dvd the other night and watched his tag team, him and Sapphire vs Savage and Sherri. Dusty Rhodes still seems to have the same vigor he had back in his older days. I still am a big fan of this guy, only because he has the same enthusiasm and dont' really see any signs of the toll this business has on him.

Another one I say has aged to perfection, is Million Dollar Man Ted Sr. He does hold up well when he's making his appearances. I must say that even though he's not an ACTIVE wrestler anymore, he does keep up quite well and manages to hold his composure. I think he has found his spirituality and probably has used that to his advantage.

One that was doing well until his brain aneyerusm, was Ricky The Dragon Steamboat. Now I don't know if we can count his brain hemorrhage earlier, but he still does hold his age well and from competing in WM 25 not that long ago, that is still pretty amazing considering other people he's fought like Flair, who has famous moobs (man boobs, leathery skin). Steamboat still has quite the shape, (until recently.)

I think Shawn Michaels is a must to include on my list. If I didn't include him, I'd be a total idiot. Watching all those Shawn Michaels dvds of him from his early days, to him still taking those high diving elbows and backflip moonsaults. I still get chill bumps. It takes a certain degree of focus and strength internally and thru training. Especially with all the hard knocks he's taken to his body over the years, I would say he's done it quite well and was very sad to see him go, but he did it gracefully and at the top of his game. He couldn't have done it in a more perfect way, before he fell into one of those traps where he ends up becoming a joke. I forever will be a HeartBreak girl.

Great top 5 Tenta, If the Undertaker decides to stick around for 3-5 more years than he is def going to have to be a top candidate for the list.

I'm going to mention a couple guys that I feel probably won't get mentioned. They are not in my top 5, but I feel they should get some recognition because some people don't realize how old they are.

Konnan:

Konnan is in his later 40's (I believe 46 or 47) and up until his hip injury, was still putting on pretty decent matches in TNA. He put on great matches throughout the 90's while in his late 30's and I feel he aged well with the business. I believe he is still going on strong down in AAA as well!

13.jpg

Ron Simmons:

Simmons retired at the age of 48 and of course he wasn't at the same level as he was in his prime, but he was better than half the roster at the time of his retirement. If you count in his gimmick matches/ indy shows/ DAMN! Appearances... the man went into his 50's still in the business.

15.jpg

Tenta, I have too agree with you with Terry Funk as your (and mine) number 1!!

The guy has retired like 5 times, first in 83 i believe, but he has still managed to find himself in a wrestling ring performing..He was later known in his career as a hardcore wrestler and I ahve to admit, I enjoyed the shit outta it...he was/is just amazing!!

Honourable Mention
HHH, Taker, HBK, Ric Flair, Hogan, Booker T..

For some reason, even though Terry Funk is undoubtedly my #1 choice as well(though I don't need to go into it after Tenta's fantastic post), the first name that came to mind for me was Curt Hennig. I think the "Perfection" line in the title had something to do with that

Seriously though... Hennig looked the year he died the exact same he looked when he first joined the WWF back in the early nineties. It's pretty remarkable when you think about what great shape he kept himself in all those years, and it just makes his death that much more unfortunate/shocking.

Sting I think doesn't get enough credit for how good he looks at the age of 50, and also the fact that he can still go out there and put on some pretty damn good matches. He DEFINITELY deserves a mention.

And lastly, Jushin Liger and Toshiaki Kawada are both in their mid-forties currently and both still look great. They've been wrestling since the early eighties basically, and both can still go to this day, man. When you think about the wars they've had over the years... I mean, it's just down right mind-blowing when you think about the shape they're in today. Most Puro guys get beaten down by the time they reach 40, but Liger and Kawada are definitely the exceptions.

I'm going to say Ricky Steamboat. I'm not sure how old he is but I'm sure he's not off the pace of three of Tenta's top five, that being Hogan, Funk & Flair. Steamboat still had the moves & the body when he wrestled Chris Jericho and from what I was hearing, he was still able to have semi-active career as short as a few years ago. The spot he had with the Nexus was pretty good for someone his age although I know he got sick a few days after which some believe was unrelated. Either way it goes, Ricky Steamboat was always in great condition, a master wrestler in every sense of the world and went out and made Jericho, a bonifide HOF'er look great even though he didn't have to. Steamboat, unlike the above-mentioned old timers, still has what it takes to contribute to the business and isn't paraded around as some sideshow clown (i.e. Flair & Hogan) on a regular basis just to keep money in his pocket and a name for himself. Ricky's like old wine, he seems to have gotten better with time, and for someone who was ALWAYS one of the best wrestlers in the world, be it in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s or whenever, isn't that hard to be anyway.

Tenta, you did a wonderful job putting the list together, but there should be a new #1...Action Mike Jackson is 62 years old, and he can still do Old Sk00l on the top rope with no problem at all. He's as good as when he used to be in WCW 20 years ago. He was 39 at the time.

His match with One Man Kru recently
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XLaGmUtGYbA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XLaGmUtGYbA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

His match with Brad Armstrong back in WCW.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/No3ewGloDeg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/No3ewGloDeg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Dude, were are the Undertaker and Kurt Angle on that list. Taker been in the WWE for 20years, yet he is number on on any top wrestler list. If you watch matches from his debut up until his years now, he just gets better with age. His striking game, submition, and stroyline expantion have gone up each yeah. He has also masterd the Are to putting over others much like the Undertaker has. Simpley put, these to are the bigest names on your list.

You forgot taker...i think his best mania matches have been the last two and hes what 45 now..so i would def add him to that list

Yes, yes, I didn't add Taker. Outrage, or some junk. Look, I respect Taker as much as anyone, I really do. But, he just hasn't done enough for me past 40 to warrant him being on the list. Yes, yes, matches with Shawn, blah blah blah, bullshit. The truth is, Taker is breaking down, and breaking down fast, and has been since 2005. Say what you will, but once he turned 40, ironically, he just began to wither in front of my eyes, to the point that I can't include him, I really can't. Same reason I can't include Triple H, Jose. To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't had more than a year past forty, right? I'm sorry, but both haven't done enough work past 40 to put them on my list, and there's no arguments. Both are battered, both are broken, and both are barely able to compete on a regular basis.

I'm sorry, but I will not be swayed. Taker and Trips belong nowhere on this list, nor does Kurt. Not nearly enough work past 40 for to warrant it, really.

Taker, without a doubt. Sure he's "withering" but he's fuckin 45, what else do you expect from someone his size and how long he's been wrestling. He's improved his in-ring work and is as good as he's ever been. His last 2 Mania matches are the best of their years. Taker even draws when he's not active, ala this new "vegetative state" storyline. And being able to perform at his high level at 45, especially at the grandest stage of them all is anything but "bullshit" Tenta.

I pretty much agree with the people on your list but I'll add some honorable mentions:

Finlay
200px-Finlay_Oskhosk_WI_030808.jpg

Finlay is currently 51. Which means he was in his mid to late forties when he first came to WWE. While he may have not been headlining everyshow, he was putting on quality matches night after night and captured the U.S. Title. If you minus hornswaggle he had a pretty decent run in WWE in his late 40's.

Mitsuharu Misawa

200px-Misawa.jpg

When Misawa died last year he was 46. No doubt he is one of the truest forms of legend in wrestling. While his best years were in the 90's with AJPW, He started NOAH in his late 30's and was still putting on some of the best matches on the planet up until his tragic death.

Diamond Dallas Page

DDP_Nash.jpg

We all know DDP's story into the business, had a good paying job, in his early 30's and decided to throw it all away to live his dream. But we seem to forget how much more amazing this made him. He was 42-43 years old when he won the WCW Title in 1999. With the exception of Goldberg he was the only thing that kept me watching WCW from week to week after NWO got sickening and Russo fucked everything up later on. I believe if he didn't suffer that neck injury and had e been treated better in WWE he would still be going strong as he still looks like he is fit.

Johnny Saint

File:JohnnySaint.JPG

In 2007 at the young age of 65 Johnny Saint returned to wrestling after ten years of retirement. And while he didn't make the biggest impact, he still managed to put about a dozen quality matches. He wrestled in the King of Trios Tournament last year and managed to defeat Incoherence with Quackenbush.

As far as being aged to perfection and working well past forty I would have to go with Curt Henning and Shawn Michaels. Curt Henning pretty much worked and looked the same from 1992 to 2002. Even though Shawn Michaels lost a little bit of hair and grew some facial hair, Michaels has looked pretty much the same and his work ethic in the ring hasn't changed.

Other people I would put in this category would be Ron Simmons and Kurt Angle. Kurt looks different with the head shaved, but he pretty much looks the same now as 10 years ago. I even think that his in ring ability has improved greatly over the past decade.

The Undertaker has even looked better now then he did ten years ago. He is a lot more trim and flexible in the ring compared to years ago.

No surprise here, but I am going for Shawn Michaels, he was as great as he ever was. Who cares if he didn't put over anyone, he didn't need to. He is awesome. And of course Trips. And even though I don't like him I am amazed Taker didn't make it into the list. He is a great wrestler.

As far as being aged to perfection and working well past forty I would have to go with Curt Henning and Shawn Michaels. Curt Henning pretty much worked and looked the same from 1992 to 2002. Even though Shawn Michaels lost a little bit of hair and grew some facial hair, Michaels has looked pretty much the same and his work ethic in the ring hasn't changed.

Other people I would put in this category would be Ron Simmons and Kurt Angle. Kurt looks different with the head shaved, but he pretty much looks the same now as 10 years ago. I even think that his in ring ability has improved greatly over the past decade.

The Undertaker has even looked better now then he did ten years ago. He is a lot more trim and flexible in the ring compared to years ago.

Ron Simmons doesn't wrestle anymore. I went to his retirement match back in February, so that probably explains him not being on the list.
Now as for Kurt, he's great for his age and physique, and Taker' has been wrestling for over 20 years, and still in great shape and can still work a good match.

The majority of the names I would've thought of has already been covered. So I'm gonna add someone I think hasn't gotten the mention that I would've liked to see.

Chris Jericho: Now don't get me wrong. He was great and all that back in WCW as well as WWF. But he's absolutely golden now. He has improved vastly over the period of time that he was actually gone from wrestling. He is considered to be somewhat at his prime right now. Or in the past few years. He has won additional world championships and championships overall. And yes I know that it doesn't warrant him on the top, because championships doesn't improve you.

Chris has done a lot to be highly praised in the last few years. Much more than it could be said about Chris Jericho back when the goatee and the long hair was his style of rocking.

I would have to say Terry Funk. Even though I am not his biggest fan, I challenge anyone here, ANYONE to be able to put there body through what Terry Funk has done in the last 25 years and still be able to walk, and until fairly recently, still be able to wrestle to an acceptable standard.

What Funk has put himself through over the last quarter of a century for his love of the business is mind-blowing, even more so when you think he was over 40 the entire time and is now in his 60s. The guy bleeds wrestling through and through, and I have so much respect for Terry Funk.

For pure match quality at an older age, it would have to be Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker. Both those guys are alot younger than Funk, but are still older than almost anyone on the rosters today. They can still, or in HBK's case COULD (as hes retired now) put on a match that would stand up against any other match put on by any other wrestler in the world. Both phenomenal performers, and legends in this business

I disagree with Tenta here, I think Taker has put in commendable performances even after 2005.
Sure he's battered but I think the problem is noone has pushed him in-ring wise (except HBK) since 2005.
He needs to have a feud with Jericho soon to prove you wrong.
He can still go.

Back to the post,
for me, it's HBK

this bullshit about him coming back and not putting guys over..
cry me a f**kin river!

He was THE draw when he came back and was putting in 5 star matches at easily forgotten PPVs.
He did put over Orton within his first year, he put over Angle at WM21 as the best around (not that he needed much putting over, he just needed this win to cement his legacy) and many more.

The man has constantly had stellar matches with everyone he's been put in with and he's done that at the age of 40+.
Now that's class!

another pick i havent seen that can still put on a good match as well and i believe is 43 now is jeff jarrett--i know hes not the hottest thing going but can still do it in the ring

While it might seem like a truly novel thing, wrestlers wrestling past 40 in good shape and still being able to perform well isn't really all that uncommon. It might seem like it more nowadays, but in reality many wrestlers throughout wrestling history have performed past 40 and still were some of the best wrestlers in the world in that time.

In old school wrestling, it was very common for many of the top talents in wrestling to wrestle up into their 50's. I'll give two examples of two of the greatest wrestlers in history who were still in their primes up into their 50's.

The first one is Lou Thesz. Lou was born in 1916. He won his first world title in 1937 at the tender age of 21 (still the youngest world champion in wrestling history), and he lost his last world title to Gene Kiniski in 1966 at the age of 49. Lou came out of retirement and won the NWA title from Buddy Rogers in 1963 at the age of 46. Vince McMahon Sr. and Toots Mondt were on the verge of breaking away from the NWA and forming the WWWF with the NWA world Champion, Rogers, as their centerpiece which would've destroyed the NWA's credibility. So did the NWA rely on a current, younger guy to pull them out of the potential catastrophe? Nope, they relied on a 46 year old Thesz. Because he was still a huge draw, and could legitimately beat anyone in wrestling (for real). Lou carried the NWA again when he should've been enjoying retirement throughout the '60s. Lou even wrestled his final match in his 70's in 1991 against Masahrio Chono. So Lou is a prime example of a wrestler who is still at the top of his game past 40.

A possible even bigger example is Nick Bockwinkel. Nick dominated the AWA scene in the 1980's once Verne Gagne retired, and by this point he was in his 50's. Nick Bockwinkel was born in 1934, and he didn't even win his first world title until the age of 40 when he ended Verne Gagne's 7 year run as champion. And this was when Nick was just getting really started in his career. For the next 10-12 years, Bockwinkel was arguably the greatest worker in the business. Bockwinkel got better and better with age and at the age of 52 he put on a 60 minute classic with Curt Hennig (who was really hitting his stride at that point). If you want to talk about a wrestler "who aged like wine," Nick Bockwinkel is someone that must be mentioned. There might not be a wrestler in history who was so great at such an old age as Nick Bockwinkel. I don't even think Ric Flair was as good in his early 50's as Bockwinkel was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back