• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which top star had the best run in their prime?

Who was the best in their prime?

• Stone Cold Steve Austin: 1999-2001

• The Rock:

• Triple H

• The Undertaker

• Kurt Angle

• Kane

• Big Show

• Chris Jericho

• Edge

• Batista

• Eddie Guerrero

• Booker T

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicago1989

Ain't it sleep first then eat?
It's been quite a while since I made a thread, so I decided that I make this one. I don't really see many threads about wrestlers in their prime, but I think this one should be interesting.

When it comes to a wrestler being in their prime, it means that they are at the pinnacle of their career. They accomplish their biggest goals, their skills in the ring are better than ever, and that they are in the best physical shape of their career.

There has been many legends and top stars that had their run at the top, or that had their "glory days", so to speak.

Which top star/legend do you think had the best run while they were at their prime?

You can go by facts or by personal opinion if you want.

Here are your choices...

Stone Cold Steve Austin: 1999-2001: Popularized pro-wrestling, became the 2001 Royal Rumble winner, turned heel at WrestleMania X-7, won WWE title 4x, won WWE Tag Titles once.

The Rock:

I am going with the rock! I have to say that The Rock is by a close margin the best the WWE ever had! I would argue that forever!

The Rock had everything, the look, the mic skills, the in-ring ability! The Rock had so much going for him before he left! I honestly think that if he returned today full time he would still be that same guy who could go and have an amazing title run and still wrestle for at least 5 years!

The Rock held these titles....
* WCW Championship (2 times)
* WWF Championship (7 times)
* WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times)
* WWF World Tag Team Championship (5 times)
* Royal Rumble (2000)
* Sixth Triple Crown Champion

In addition to that he was put over by Hulk Hogan and was passed the torch by the man that made wrestling himself! He was, is, and always will be the most electrifying man in ALLLLL of Entertainment, but most importantly WWE!

Among the guys you named, I would go with Austin, as he was the face of the company during one of the most successful eras in pro wrestling history. But honestly, none of them come close to Hogan in the 80s. I know we sometimes view Hogan as he is today in TNA, but you have to remember that in the 80s, Hogan was bigger than wrestling. Austin came closest among the guys you mentioned to matching that, but he never got to that level. Hogan was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. He became a house hold name to people who would never watch wrestling. Even today, if you mention wrestling to someone who isn't a fan, the one wrestler they would know is Hulk Hogan. He was the greatest star in the history of the industry. Not the greatest worker or wrestler, but the greatest star. He should be #1 on the list.

From the list I'd say Austin, he revolutionized pro-wrestling, helped usher in the Attitude Era and was successful, picking up countless Championships and an un-parallel record 3 victories at the Royal Rumble, even his life after being either a full-time wrestler or part-time on-screen figure has been great, doesn't appear for the cash because financially he's well off. No doubt deserves his HoF spot.

Outside of the list, I'm going with Triple H, from his Royal Rumble victory in 2002 until he left TV for a few months in 2005 after his program with Batista, he was a great on-screen character and put on some stellar performances and some of the most brutal matches of the past decade. And since his return from his second quad injury in '07 up until his feud with Sheamus at the first quarter of 2010 he still showed he had it, put on a great match with 'Taker at WM 27. Think the only lowest 2 points he's had was the Katie Vick incident and the matches he had with Kozlov in late '08 within the past decade.

Among the guys you named, I would go with Austin, as he was the face of the company during one of the most successful eras in pro wrestling history. But honestly, none of them come close to Hogan in the 80s. I know we sometimes view Hogan as he is today in TNA, but you have to remember that in the 80s, Hogan was bigger than wrestling. Austin came closest among the guys you mentioned to matching that, but he never got to that level. Hogan was on the cover of Sports Illustrated. He became a house hold name to people who would never watch wrestling. Even today, if you mention wrestling to someone who isn't a fan, the one wrestler they would know is Hulk Hogan. He was the greatest star in the history of the industry. Not the greatest worker or wrestler, but the greatest star. He should be #1 on the list.

None come close? Both Rock and Austin killed the 80's Hogan in ratings and money made. Plus Rock is on par with Hogan popularity wise. It used to be that most people said Hogan when you bring up wrestling but times have changed.

From that list I would pick Austin. He pretty much saved the WWE with his King of the Ring speech. He bought in ratings and made the E and himself a ton of money.

None come close? Both Rock and Austin killed the 80's Hogan in ratings and money made. Plus Rock is on par with Hogan popularity wise. It used to be that most people said Hogan when you bring up wrestling but times have changed.

I am not going to agree with marklouis about no one coming close to Hogan. The Rock and Austin are two huge names. However I do agree with him that people who don't watch wrestling even in today's day and age are still going to be very likely to know who Hulk Hogan is. Hell he's in WWE All Stars and younger kids are definitely playing that, trust me people even in younger demographics know who Hulk Hogan is.

While I am going to definitely say that the WWF (not the "E" as people love to so retrofit the organization eras prior to May of 2002 with) found a whole new life with the Attitude Era; it is preposterous to say that Austin and The Rock is inherently better than the Federation/Hogan era going off the criteria you just mentioned. Yes while The Rock (who has had the best crossover success into movies out of any wrestler including Hogan, Cena And Austin) it was someone like Hogan who despite having what I thought were subpar embarrassments of films like Mr. Nanny and Suburban Commando who I think enabled guys like The Rock to be accepted as a mainstream movie star instead of just some mere pro wrestling trying out acting.

Granted Hogan's tenure in films (starting with Rocky III) was short lived and is today looked at as a joke but for the better part of almost five years Hogan in between all his wrestling commitments got three theatrical movie releases. I think that should say something, despite the silliness of his films. Austin on the other hand had his first starring role in The Condemned and it was his only theatrical release. In The Expendables he was a supporting player and nothing more. So yes Hulk Hogan's movies were not my cup of tea even as a kid but there's no way I am going to deny how his brief foray was a better success than guys like Piper (They Live was good don't get me wrong but Hollywood wasn’t beating on his door afterwards, let's be honest.) and Austin.

Say what you want about Hogan but he's still one of those names that is going to come up when you mention pro wrestling...period. You name me one wrestler who could take a departure of almost a decade from the WWF and then upon his return to the company face The Rock and gets mainstream coverage for it. It was as if Hogan never left the WWF when he returned in 2002. Granted, The Rock was on fire himself but let's be honest if it was Barry Horowitz making his WWF return to wrestle The Rock at WrestleMania X8, do you think anyone would have bothered to say a thing? I don't think so. Hogan was a HUGE part of that equation and if his 80s reign was so inconsequential, then the impact of WrestleMania X8 would have been nil.

From that list I would pick Austin. He pretty much saved the WWE with his King of the Ring speech. He bought in ratings and made the E and himself a ton of money.

Austin's momentum shift from the laughable Ringmaster to Stone Cold was definitely taking shape at King Of The Ring 1996, no doubt about that. However let's get one thing established here it still took Austin two years before he was finally the WWF World Champion. Let's not forget WrestleMania 13 in between all that as well, if you want my opinion it was the submission match with Bret Hart that was the next evolution in Austin's character that REALLY established that this was going to be the next guy.

Getting back to Hogan, a month later after KOR ’96 there came Bash At The Beach '96. Hogan's heel turn for that time was bigger than anything the WWF was doing for two years and even when the WWF did finally get their top spot back in the wrestling world, guys like Hogan still weren't hurting success wise. So yes, while the WWF was seeing newer and bigger successes without Hogan it was also at a time where wrestling as a whole was doing great business and Hulk Hogan's career (which was still rather successful despite the initially slower period in wrestling during his WCW debut) was running even wilder, pardon the pun.

With Austin being injured and no longer able to wrestle, it's hard to say where his career would be today but whether you love or hate Hulk Hogan, there haven't been many people that could be so well identified with one brand of wrestling like the WWF (and let's not even forget his AWA stint when the WWF fired him the first time) and then jump ship to another brand like WCW and reignite his career. So say what you want about Austin's run at the top, it was a great one no doubt but there's no way anyone here on this forum can say with a straight face that Austin had the same staying power and sustainability as Hogan, no way...no how.

And just because WWE as we know it today is the top name in pro wrestling and will be that way for sometime, let's not seal ourselves in a vacuum and forget what the business was like in the later 90s (before the sale of WCW in 2001) when the business was bigger then than it is now. And that just because Hogan was removed from the WWF for a while doesn’t mean he’s any less valid a star just because he wasn’t a forerunner in the Attitude Era.

After all since WWE does own all of WCW's history we might as well lump all this in together, shouldn't we?

But anyway if we are going to stick to (W)WF/E...I am going to look at this in two ways...number 1 objectively and number 2 personally.

Objectively speaking: Since he's not on the list (which I have to scratch my head about) I can't pick Hogan, so I am going to go with Austin. As great as The Rock was and I favor him over Austin, the WWF was built around Austin's pursuit of the World Title and his feud with Vince McMahon. He was the guy the WWF had as their man, even though he was closely identified with The Rock during the WWF's best years.

Personally speaking: I have to say I have a soft spot for the Undertaker. Although for the life of me I can't understand WHY Bret Hart and Randy Savage are not on this list either (Because I'd probably pick one of them, I am only going with the options I have after all). While The Undertaker hasn't always closed out WrestleMania every year and hasn't had the World Title as much as the other wrestlers in the company (which really isn't a bad thing to be honest)...he's been in some of the most compelling story lines and had some of the best feuds. While I didn't like The Corporate Ministry and I felt the American Badass run was ok, so much that has come before that and afterwards for the character has kept me constantly intrigued.

But basically that's my two cents, decent effort at a thread OP and yeah I'm probably going to come off like some ******** mark for saying this but this thread could have been a little more objective. For one thing you only list Austin as an option by highlighting the years 1999-2001, so were the years he was in the WWF before that and after that not good enough for this thread? I am just curious, that’s all.

Because if you are doing that with Austin you should be doing that with everyone else on there, i.e. (Eddie Guerrero 2004-2005) since that was really the only top Eddie had a top spot in WWE, same for Edge (2006-2011). Your opinion is your opinion and all but if you really wanted to have something that was going to appeal to a wide demographic of users you probably should have taken that stance with all your poll choices. You also would have probably been better off to pick superstars that have encompassed a broader base than the one you're trying to present on this poll/forum when you consider the question you are posing.

I voted for the rock. He had title reigns, rr wins and the like, but what sets him apart from the pack is hogan put him over at wrestlemania, and he "saved" the wwe from the alliance. Without a doubt, it has to be the rock.

Killed 80's Hogan in ratings? What? Based on pure TV ratings, Hogan SLAUGHTERS Austin and Rock. Like, he doubles them up, and then some. Hogan pulled in an 11.2 and a 15.6. Now, TV shows where HOgan appeared were a lot less frequent back then, but the amount of people watching was just bigger.

NOw, they definitely made more money (over their short tenured on top) in a "per year" type setting, but two things to consider:

1. Hogan made more money over the whole of his career for the WWF than either guy did. He was on top for MUCH longer. And I'd imagine that's just in a straight dollars comparison. If you adjust for inflation, Hogan blows them out of the water.

2. There are more events and more places to buy merchandise. In HOgan's heyday, there were 4 PPV's and you could only get Hogan merch at a live event or through the WWF magazine. You could buy Rock/Austin gear at JC Penney's or Wal-Mart, and there were at least 12 PPV's a year.

Rock is not really on par popularity wise, he's rarely thought of as a wrestler now. He has, however, far more successfully translated to the movie industry, but then again, Hogan was the first guy to really do that, so it's a bit of a harder transition. Also, it helps that Rock is just a better actor than Hogan, lol.

From the list, it's definitely Austin, even though I prefer Rocky personally. Austin saved the WWF and was the lynchpin of maybe the biggest angle in WWF/E history, the McMahon-Austin Angle.

It's between Austin and Rock and it's not even close with the other contestants. What you should do is look at both Stone Cold and The Rock. With Stone Cold you had a rebel employee, beating up his boss, and drinking on the job. Just what every red blooded male in America wants to do.

Then you have The Rock. A man who for a short period, just like Austin was red hot. He went to Hollywood, and hasn't been back up until recently. The man was a silver tongue on the mic, and could go in the ring as well. Even a 60 minute Iron Man match with Triple H.

I guess the thing that you have to look at though, in the long run. Money is everything. While The Rock was very close to out drawing Austin, he could just never do it while they were in WWE. I guess what I'm saying, both had incredible runs. But, Austin made more money than anyone in the history of the business. Austin takes it.

first off, the question was who had the best run IMO meaning who had the most significant feuds, title reigns, least amount of injuries, impact on the pro wrestling as an industry and best match quality so considering all that i voted for stone cold; he may lack in the injury department but he was aces in all other categories ive mentioned. now going off this list provided its hogan, by a long shot its hogan, first title reign was 4 years, headlined the first WM, brought wretling to the forefront of media attention, sure guys later on stood on his shoulders and upped the bar ( austin, rock) but without that foundation that hogan laid out i seriously think wrestling wouldnt be here today

if we are talking about best run means most popular then yeas definatly the rock or asutin but if we are talking success then (in ppl are gonna argue massivly with this) john cena would have the best run....although u may be talking about past superstars because cena is still in his prim....unfortunatly

Say what you want about Hogan but he's still one of those names that is going to come up when you mention pro wrestling...period. You name me one wrestler who could take a departure of almost a decade from the WWF and then upon his return to the company face The Rock and gets mainstream coverage for it. It was as if Hogan never left the WWF when he returned in 2002. Granted, The Rock was on fire himself but let's be honest if it was Barry Horowitz making his WWF return to wrestle The Rock at WrestleMania X8, do you think anyone would have bothered to say a thing? I don't think so. Hogan was a HUGE part of that equation and if his 80s reign was so inconsequential, then the impact of WrestleMania X8 would have been nil.

Funny you said this, but isn't this what has happened when The Rock recently returned, had a huge promo, drew huge mainstream attention, hosted one Wrestlemania, is destined to face the new face of the company John Cena in the next Wrestlemania?

I voted The Rock, and even more - I believe even though Hulk Hogan was the first "Megastar" in wrestling, The Rock managed to catch up to him and surpass him.

It's btw rock and ausin, for sure. Personally, I'd say rock. Why? Austin's prime was like from 1997-1999, yes he did turn the business upside down but 2yrs is very short compared to rock's run which was from 1999-2003.

For those who believe austin draw more money, in 2000, rock not only sold out more arenas than austin (and hogan), but he did more PPV buys. Till this day, that year is by far the most profitable, most popular, and most successful year ever, and rock was a huge reason for that. No wonder why he was getting payed more than any wrestler in wwe history, that includes austin.

I voted for Triple H. I think he's been a little overlooked in the heated discussion with Rock and Austin. Considering the fact that he played quite a big role in the WWF during both of their primes and carried on while both of them either had injuries or left for Hollywood I'd say his name has a little more prominence in the discussion than it's been given.

I'm also curious as to why some of those names are on there, but a couple I noticed missing are Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels?

lookin at your list, my personal choice would be: EDGE..
of course Steve Austin tops any other star in $$ during his on top run, and he did have many good matches.. i just enjoyed all of edge's work more.. i liked each and every one of EDGE's feuds from 04-11... his in ring work was exceptional, along with his promos...

thats not to say austin, rock, hunter, eddie and all the other names didnt... they did.. but my fav and truly the guy who kept it going the LONGEST was edge... heck he really came in with some decent fire in 1998 (far from on top) but he kept me interested in his work from 2002-2004 and even more so once he started the feud with cena...

Name a TOP Wrestler in the Industry outside of Taker, Bret Hart & Brock Lesnar that HHH didn't beat in a World Title Match during his Run. He beat Goldberg, Hogan, Rock, Austin, Retired Foley, HBK, Angle, Kane, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, Jereicho, ETC.
He had Ultimate Power Backstage, He had one of the Greatest Factions ever in Evolution, & by far some of the BEST Schemes Ever, It's HHH for me!

I see this list is of the last 12 years... Of the choices I went with Triple H. Triple H is probably the most dominant heel of all time, and one that easily worked the crowd both on the mic and the ring. Every single thing about his career in 1999-2002 was done perfectly, from the booking to the accolades to his ring ability to his mic work and without him I don't think guys like The Rock, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, or even Kane would've been as big. He was the heel that all of the faces got pops against, and it was always exciting to see him go 1 on 1 with a top face because (unlike 99% of the other heels in WWE history) he could actually win matches clean.

Although he was also entertaining during the Evolution days (which was probably his best period for accolades) I don't think he was nearly as good in 2003-2006 as he was in the 3 years prior. I think he got complacent, stopped improving, and just held down the talent whereas from 1999-2002 he improved every week, always tried new things, and worked hard to put young faces over

Funny you said this, but isn't this what has happened when The Rock recently returned, had a huge promo, drew huge mainstream attention, hosted one Wrestlemania, is destined to face the new face of the company John Cena in the next Wrestlemania?

I voted The Rock, and even more - I believe even though Hulk Hogan was the first "Megastar" in wrestling, The Rock managed to catch up to him and surpass him.

I will give you that Rock's return does indeed rival Hogan's nostalgia run in 2002, however The Rock made the transition from wrestling to movies where you can really say that maybe just maybe it's his status as an A-List action star that is really helping the attention that WWE is getting for his return.

However when The Rock and Austin feud was tearing up the WWF scene, it was typically The Rock that came out second best in those outings save for their third WrestleMania encounter where The Rock finally beat Austin. That's not to take anything away from The Rock but as far as being the very top guy over Austin I can't see that and as far as his status in wrestling compared to Hogan as great as The Rock is, I still in my view don't see him going over Austin and Hogan in a discussion like this.

As far as as having the most successful transition from wrestling into other entertainment mediums...I will give The Rock the nod over both Austin and Hogan without any question but if we are talking wrestling, as much as I liked The Rock, I still don't put him in that category.

Despite that though you are right for bringing up that point though, I did forget to mention The Rock's return to WWE being in the same league as Hogan's WWF return. Fair counterpoint sir.

When it comes to a wrestler being in their prime, it means that they are at the pinnacle of their career. They accomplish their biggest goals, their skills in the ring are better than ever, and that they are in the best physical shape of their career.

I'm not so sure that a wrestler's prime is always equal to them accomplishing their biggest goals. By that, I mean, take a look at Shawn Michaels. He most definately accomplished the most during his WWF days; however, I would say he reached the peak of his abilities after returning from his four year absence.

If you're basing prime on accomplishments alone, I would have to say that Shawn Michaels was the best prior to his four-year break. If you're basing prime on biggest draw, then Stone Cold would be my pick. He dominated throughout the Attitude Era. How many other wrestlers can claim dominance over an era? John Cena and Hulk Hogan. And, arguments could be made for both of them as well; however, I don't feel that Cena has reached his prime yet, and Hogan was overrated, in my opinion.

If we are going with stars in their prime, their best 3-4 yr period, I take Hogan 84-87. WWE created WrestleMania around Hogan. Yes, WM was actually influenced by the success of Starrcade, drawing near million dollar gates without PPV back when ticket prices were around 10 bucks, but just as Starrcade was built around Flair, Hogan was the centerpiece of WM. Where SC was a very successful event WM transformed pro wrestling, spearheaded the development of PPV, and became a national event. Hogan was the centerpiece of that. Over 93,000 fans came out live to see WM 3 headlined by Hogan-Andre. Austin had a great run 96-99 but he wasnt the top guy the whole time. Rock was great 97-01 but Austin was bigger. Flair was huge 84-89 but Hogan was a bigger star. Hart had a nice run 92-95 but did he outdraw Flair and Hogan, no. HBK did some prolific work 94-98 but he took a backseat to Hart and Nash at different times as top star. HHH had a very good run 02-05 but in terms of drawing power and influence does anyone think he was bigger than Austin, Hogan, or Flair's best runs ? No. Best single run of any star - Hogan 84-87, wrestling goes mainstream, Wrestle Mania is born, Battles legends Piper, Savage, and Andre, helps set in door attendance record - its Hogan hands down. Id pick Austin best run 2nd, Flair 3rd, then everyone else falls behine them.

I voted for EDGE for a couple reasons, and here is why....

First Off I gotta Say some guys like Undertaker, Triple H, Jericho, idk if you can say they even had a prime. Jericho you could argue his younger days as Undiputed champ were great, but his recent run saw him excel beyond that, Triple H has been amazing since before he joined DX and hasnt even been "rusty" till just lately and you could argue absolutley any time in Takers career, so my point is without specific years for each its hard too say....

Which brings me too my 2nd point, the stand out and obvious choice in my mind would be Stone Cold, seeing as he brought WWE to a certain level and retired semi-early after but the reason I didnt vote for him is simple, many may disagree with me but 1999-2001 wasnt his best years!!! Your leaving out '97 w/King of the Ring and in my opinion his best match/feud ever w/Bret Hart that made him a star and then '98 one of the best mania matches ever w/HBK and winning his first world title!! and Also one of my favorite matches ever and in my opinion his best vs. The Rock match at Mania XIX in 2003, so while 1999-2001 was amazing, idk if I would even call it his prime.

Finally If were talking a "Prime" as in, a couple year era where the guy florished and reached his absolute peak!! As almost sad as it may be cause he was forced out by injury, Edge is the end all, be all of having a "Prime". 2006-2011 Was by far Edge's best EVER!!!! I mean dont get me wrong E&C was amazing and when Edge first went solo he was great but Once he cashed in on Cena to win his first WWE title he did nothing but excel further and rack up amazing matches and world titles. He evenwent out at his very peak, retaining World Heavyweight Gold at Mania for the first time ever.

It's between Austin and Rock and it's not even close with the other contestants. What you should do is look at both Stone Cold and The Rock. With Stone Cold you had a rebel employee, beating up his boss, and drinking on the job. Just what every red blooded male in America wants to do.

Then you have The Rock. A man who for a short period, just like Austin was red hot. He went to Hollywood, and hasn't been back up until recently. The man was a silver tongue on the mic, and could go in the ring as well. Even a 60 minute Iron Man match with Triple H.

I guess the thing that you have to look at though, in the long run. Money is everything. While The Rock was very close to out drawing Austin, he could just never do it while they were in WWE. I guess what I'm saying, both had incredible runs. But, Austin made more money than anyone in the history of the business. Austin takes it.

I think Batman pretty much says everything that needs to be said. The only 2 on this list worth discussing are Austin and Rock. Those two were THE guys in the WWE during their primes. The buyrates were huge, their list of successes is almost endless and they fought 3x at the biggest PPV of the year.

If I had to pick one though it would be Stone Cold. Austin was the focus of every single WWE show when he was red hot, even when he was injured and couldnt wrestle they had him on the show in several segments because the people wanted to see him. He was the biggest thing in wrestling since Hulk Hogan and was the catalyst for the WWE's immense success in the late 1990s and the whole attitude era.

Stone Cold beat up his boss, swore on TV, was a rebel and people responded to that. He was the goose that laid the golden egg, everything he did was money. Its a shame he had to retire early as he would have been the biggest star in the company for a lot longer

When I do look at all the great superstars I do look at a certain period of time for their prime. But with undertaker, he has literally been in his very best all his career. Let's not count this year because he has been out and rumor says he will retire after WM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back