Which one of Flair's and Steamboat's '89 were truly the best?

Safari.GFX

Rehabilitated
As it is well know, Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat had one of the greatest feuds in Pro Wrestling History. Some would argue that their feud was in fact the greatest in history. Let me refresh your memory of the feud.

Let me take you back to around Wrestlemania 1988. Before wrestlemania, their was a tournament to become the number one contender for the WWF title. Steamboat loss in the first round the Greg Valintine. They teased for a couple weeks after wrestlemania that The Dragon might be coming back for a feud with The Hammer, but soon after wrestlemania he retired from wrestling

Steamboat returned to wrestling in January of the next year, 1989. He joined the NWA. On an edition of WCW (World Championship Wrestling) in late January, maybe early February, He was a surprise partner of Eddie Gilbert. The man with the coolest nick name is wrestling history "Hot Stuff". The took on of course Ric Flair and his partner Barry Windham. In the tag match, Steamboat pinned Flair. At the next pay-per-view which would have been in late February because it was the pay-per-view before WrestleWar (I think it was called "The Chi-Town Rumble.")

At that PPV, Steamboat beat Ric Flair for the NWA championship! Now, was this their greatest match? They went on to have a rematch at Clash of the Champions which took place on the same day as wrestlemania that year, April 2nd. This was a two out of three falls match. Ricky Steamboat was able to win the match after 55 minutes of the 60 minute time limit.

So, was that their best match? Not so fast! After a review of the replay from their Clash of the Champions match showed that Flair's foot was in fact in fact on the rope, giving Flair a rematch at none other then the following Pay-Per-View, WrestleWar!

The two fought for over a half an hour at WrestleWar until Ric Flair was able to counter a body slam into an inside cradle, and got the 1,2,3! This was their last match until some years latter, in the mid 90's. So was the last match of the '89 feud the best?

Personally, I think there match at Clash of the Champions was not only there best match, it may of been the best match period. In the history of the wrestling. It was great, Flair pinned Steamboat, Steamboat made Flair tap, then Steamboat pinned Flair! Then with only a few minutes to go before the time expired, both men lay motionless in the ring. The referee of course was counting to ten, just as the referee was about to reach ten, Steamboat got a shoulder up! And Flair didn't. This won Steamboat the match. But, like I said, they looked it over and Flair had his foot on the bottom rope.

So, that's my favorite. What's yours?

It was clearly the 2 Out Of 3 Falls match. It was their second match together. After the two's first collaberation, everybody was dying for another match between the two. And they made the second 2 Out Of 3 Falls. The feud was as intense as ever, the crowd went nuts. Not too mention, with all the time that Ricky and Ric were given, they gave it their all. This would have to be the most suspenseful match between the two. All 3 matches were great, but the 2 Out Of 3 Falls was definitely the best. Behind it was the third match, and behind the third would obviously be the first. All 3 matches were great and memorable. Even better than Ric Flair vs Sting if you can believe it.

For me it was the Chi-Town match in February of 1989. Just great back and forth action and I thought the commentary of Jim Ross and Magnum T.A. was outstanding ! Throw in a super hot crowd and you couldn't ask for more !

They were all great but I thought this one was the best !

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back