• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which Ice Rink Do You Prefer?

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
There are two IIHF recognized ice rinks in professional ice hockey. There is the one we see everytime we turn on an NHL game. The measurements are sixty-one meters by twenty-six meters. This provides a much smaller rink then used during Olympic competitions and other international events, which measure an extra four meters wide (30m).

Now there are certain things that come from the change. Four meters of extra space (about 13 feet) create a much faster paced hockey game. This has historically been to the benefit of the faster European players, and some argues that the larger surface area has given European teams an unfair advantage. In 2010, the first time in the history of the Olympics, the IIHF will let their teams play on the NHL style rink. This should benefit team Canada and America, as they have historically been a more grinding, defensive style of play.

It is a difficult choice. I went to see my friend's cousin play at a place that had both NHL regulation, and International regulation. His cousin was playing on the International rink, and the game did move a lot faster, with his team winning 5-1. So I guess the International size is maybe the more "offensive" type of rink since there is more room to skate and handle the puck.

But there is also the NHL regulation, which as you said TM is more for the defensive kind of ice as it is smaller. And personally, I love a defensive style of hockey. Plus the loudest arena ever (I'm biased so it may not be) was old Chicago Stadium, and that was an even smaller regulation rink than the NHL standard now.

Anyway, I think I'm going to have to go with the NHL regulation. As much as I love offense and getting out and skating on the break, which is more likely going to happen on International regulation ice, I prefer the defensive "advantage" if you can call it that, of the NHL sized rink. The ice is smaller and the offensive players don't have just that extra distance or angle to get in on the goalie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back