Which Gracie Do You Think Was The Best MMA Fighter

ITurnGirlsGay

Twitter -- @FightOnTwist
I know you'll read the title of this thread and one name will automatically pop into your head, but note that I put "MMA fighter"

Mine is a toss up between two. The reason it's a toss up is because one didn't live long enough for us to see what he would have became in the world of MMA.

1. Ryan Gracie Yes, I know he, much like most every Gracie, lost to Sakuraba, but he gets a vote from because he displayed a keen ability to strike that most Gracie's seem to lack. Sadly, Ryan was extremely troubled as an individual and this is this majority of the reason he had so few fights before he died at 33, but had he not been involved in drugs/legal problems, I truly believe he could have been a NEW force to be reckoned with in MMA.

2. Vitor Belfort Yes, he is a Gracie, look it up. Carlson Gracie adopted him, but there was a dispute about him taking the last name. Vitor is obviously the most well-rounded of all the Gracie's that have fought in MMA. Great hand speed, great BJJ, great boxing, and has fought most of the who's who in MMA starting at 19 years old. Hell, the man is only 33 and fought at UFC 12.

Probably Vitor if you say MMA fighter. I mean nobody else really comes close because none really dedicated their career to MMA. Royce was one dimensional, and Ryan was so troubled in his life. It's a unfair question to be honest because the most decorated Gracies are to busy in GJJ to set their career torwards MMA. Rickson was 11-0, but never really showed any solid striking, and won on his otherworldly GJJ to win. So it has to be Vitor. The only person I can see taking that spot in the future would be Roger Gracie if he fully dedicates himself to MMA. Nobody would last on the ground with him lol.

Probably Vitor if you say MMA fighter. I mean nobody else really comes close because none really dedicated their career to MMA. Royce was one dimensional, and Ryan was so troubled in his life. It's a unfair question to be honest because the most decorated Gracies are to busy in GJJ to set their career torwards MMA. Rickson was 11-0, but never really showed any solid striking, and won on his otherworldly GJJ to win. So it has to be Vitor. The only person I can see taking that spot in the future would be Roger Gracie if he fully dedicates himself to MMA. Nobody would last on the ground with him lol.

You forget Renzo, Royler, Rolles, Rickson, Ralek, and Rodrigo

I have to agree with ITGG on Ryan Gracie.

Royce Gracie was the most important fighter in the clan, but the overall best fighter out of them all in my opinion is Ryan Gracie.

I've seen every one of Ryan's fights, and let me tell you something... ITGG is dead on when he says that if he hadn't died so young, he would have been a force to be reckoned with in MMA. He had two losses under his belt, but one was against the greatest Japanese fighter of all time (which Ryan put up one hell of a fight against, btw), and the other was a fluke loss due to a rib injury he suffered while going for a takedown. Plus, both of those losses were at the beginning of his MMA career. After them he went on to win 4 straight, all in Pride and all against very respectable Japanese fighters (with maybe the exception of Yoji Anjo, lol), such as Minowa and Oyama. And as ITGG mentioned, Ryan showed quality striking in each fight, something we never saw from any legitimate Gracie fighter.

So, yeah... Ryan Gracie, no doubt about it. It's a shame what happened to him, as I don't think there will be another Gracie to be a threat in the upcoming years in MMA. He could have carried his family name for the sport these last few years, but alas... it just wasn't meant to be.

I have to agree with ITGG on Ryan Gracie.

Royce Gracie was the most important fighter in the clan, but the overall best fighter out of them all in my opinion is Ryan Gracie.

I've seen every one of Ryan's fights, and let me tell you something... ITGG is dead on when he says that if he hadn't died so young, he would have been a force to be reckoned with in MMA. He had two losses under his belt, but one was against the greatest Japanese fighter of all time (which Ryan put up one hell of a fight against, btw), and the other was a fluke loss due to a rib injury he suffered while going for a takedown. Plus, both of those losses were at the beginning of his MMA career. After them he went on to win 4 straight, all in Pride and all against very respectable Japanese fighters (with maybe the exception of Yoji Anjo, lol), such as Minowa and Oyama. And as ITGG mentioned, Ryan showed quality striking in each fight, something we never saw from any legitimate Gracie fighter.

So, yeah... Ryan Gracie, no doubt about it. It's a shame what happened to him, as I don't think there will be another Gracie to be a threat in the upcoming years in MMA. He could have carried his family name for the sport these last few years, but alas... it just wasn't meant to be.

It sucks, too. Ryan was so dynamic in his approach. You could tell there was a connection and separation from him and the Gracie family. He had the fire. You could see it. He was an embattled demon. I'm sad his gift was taken from him before his time.

I didn't forget any of them? None of them competed in MMA for an extended period of time to show us that they could be the absolute best MMA fighters in the world. They all focused on GJJ. Most have very few fights in their MMA careers, or terrible records. I think it's Ralek who just beat Saku, and is very young, but has yet to prove himself. I also said Rickson in my previous post as having an 11-0 record but never showed solid striking. Again I stand by what I said. Most haven't competed enough in MMA to say that they were better than Vitor who is an extremely dangerous MMA fighter, or most have a bad record. Vitor is by far and away the best MMA fighter in the family considering we don't know what Ryan would have done. Rickson FTW by the way.

I didn't forget any of them? None of them competed in MMA for an extended period of time to show us that they could be the absolute best MMA fighters in the world. They all focused on GJJ. Most have very few fights in their MMA careers, or terrible records. I think it's Ralek who just beat Saku, and is very young, but has yet to prove himself. I also said Rickson in my previous post as having an 11-0 record but never showed solid striking. Again I stand by what I said. Most haven't competed enough in MMA to say that they were better than Vitor who is an extremely dangerous MMA fighter, or most have a bad record. Vitor is by far and away the best MMA fighter in the family considering we don't know what Ryan would have done. Rickson FTW by the way.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick. I was honestly just opening the thread up to see what people thought. There are some Gracie's who have a limited number of fights, but appear very promising. It was just an opportunity to throw those names in the hate. Didn't mean to imply that your knowledge was limited.

BTW, this Gracie can make me tap ANY TIME.

kyra-gracie.jpg

I am actually a big Ryan Gracie fan from everything I have seen. He was a beast and as you guys have already said, he actually had striking skills. At least more then any other Gracie I have seen. I also echo the sentiments that it is a shame he died so young because he truly could have been a big name.

As for another Gracie to think about, what about Roger Gracie? He looked very good in his last fight with Kevin Randleman. Randleman may not be the greatest fighter ever, but he isn't exactly a push over either. Roger really took the fight the Randleman and pulled off a very nice submission victory. Also, he is 3-0 so far in his young MMA career and has won all of his fights by submission. He has a great upside and if he can develop some striking skills he could be a force. I would like to see him fight someone of more relevance then Kevin Randleman, however, before I completely put a stamp on Roger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back