When Did The Tag Team Division Die?

The Extract

Now I dont really know if tag team wrestling is BIG in really any indy company, but IMO, tag team wreslting is dead in the two major companies so that's who I will talk about. So if you really feel like it hasn't died, then that's fine, but don't bash.

I happen to believe that currently, tag team wrestling is dead, and really has been for a while now. I would like to note that I am splitting my post into two paragraphs. One is when it died for WWE, and one for when it died for TNA.

So for WWE, I believe that the division first started to die in 2004. The Dudley Boyz were leaving WWE that year, thus ending the main team that held the division together. The title was also changing hands often, mostly to illegitimate teams like: La Résistance, Edge and Benoit(put together at Taboo Tuesday when not voted into World title match), and worst of all, Eugene and William Regal. Though a little spark shinned during 2009-2010, it turned out that it was just in preperation to be killed for now.

As for TNA, the division started to die back in 2010, when Matt Morgan and Hernendez won the titles, then Morgan defended them on his own. But, the division took a HUGE leap forward with the championship series between Beer Money, and the MCMG. But, as foreseen(by me), the titles became devalued AGAIN when Mexican America won the titles from Beer Money. And it was all downhill from there.

*NOTE* I do believe that both divisions have hope, especially TNA, but it will take a lot from creative to get my interest focused even the slightest on the tag team division.

I think I would agree with your assessments yes. Maybe a bit later for WWE since there were still some legit teams around.

TNA have just created two new teams, and I believe WWE has as well with the Prime Time Players? And another team I think... so yeah hopefully both companies can improve their tag scenes.

I last watched ROH in 2010 and their tag scene was stacked had about 10 teams, King of Wrestling, Briscoe Brothers, All Night Express, American Wolves. Dunno how it is now for them though.

I don’t believe that Tag Team Wrestling is “dead”. Yes, I think it’s on a decline, but so is everything else in the world of Professional Sports Wrestling Entertainment. The Tag Team Titles in my opinion are and always were 3rd in the Championship hierarchy, with the World Titles being 1st, the Mid-Card Titles being 2nd, and the Womens’ Title being 4th. Therefore, with the decline in the genre, of course the Tag Team Titles would be the first male Titles to be looked upon as “dead” or dying.

Now, I believe, in my own opinion that the decline started at WrestleMania XXV. Not only did the WWE consolidate Raw’s and Smackdown’s Tag Team Divisions by unifying the Titles, they didn’t even air it on live TV in 2009’s “Grandest Stage Of Them All”. I think the decline dropped further down when Bret The Hitman Hart presented “his” Dynasty with the Unified WWE World Tag Team Title Belts, but that’s just me being superficial. I know appearance isn’t everything, but it’s still something.

As for TNA, I agree to a certain degree that TNA’s Tag Team Division declined when Matt Morgan was the sole Tag Team Champions. Granted Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle both held the Tag Team Championship by themselves, it was a great story. Good enough for me to buy Victory Road 2007, Hard Justice 2007, and No Surrender 2007 DVDs. Yes, Matt Morgan looked dominant as the sole Tag Team Champion, but I think it should have been handled differently. To me, it just went against what “Tag Team Wrestling” is. Morgan and Hernandez should have both kept their halves and done one of two things, pick new partners and face each other for the other half to the Titles, or vacate the Tag Straps altogether.

Well, now with WWE World Tag Team Champions, Kofi Kingston and R-Truth on their 100th day as Champs and TNA World Tag Team Champions, Kaz and Daniels on their 2nd reign, things aren’t looking too bad for Tag Team Wrestling. Just let the 3rd most important Titles in Wrestling be just that, 3rd most important.

Personally I think tag team wrestling "died" when people started relating tag teams to the Michaels/Jannetty "complex".

Ever since then guys are in the mind set that only one member can succeed and being a team will hold them back, which unfortunatley, WWE has made more or less true.

I think WWE didn't really get bad till about 2006-2009. Except for minor Hardy Boyz reunions and DX fighting cheerleaders, any good teams like MNM, Deuce & Domino, or London & Kendrick all fell by the wayside and were never given time to flourish.

It wasn't till 2009 that tag teams were interesting again. When DX really returned as a tag team and they had teams like SES, Hart Dynasty, Jeri-Show, Show-Miz, Cryme Tyme, etc. to feud with.

Obviously that didn't last long and WWE is trying again, hopefully this time it sticks.

Personally I think tag team wrestling "died" when people started relating tag teams to the Michaels/Jannetty "complex".

Ever since then guys are in the mind set that only one member can succeed and being a team will hold them back, which unfortunatley, WWE has made more or less true.

That's the problem. Anytime the team gets over WWE always splits them up thinking they'll get the next Shawn Michaels. Unfortunately what they end up with is usually two Marty Jannettys. Sometimes it's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts.

For me the division died when the brand split began. before the brand split you had a series of matches between the Hardy Boys, Edge & Christian, The Dudley Boys, and The APA for the belt. Then the brand split happened all the tag teams were broke up and the division has been struggling to regain relevance ever since.

It looked like they were starting to get relevant again once but then Shawn Michaels and Huntor the big nose caveman buried all the teams in one night during their DX Reunion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back