Whats the lamest redone entrance music on the Network?

relentless1

G.O.A.T.
As many of you realize, a lot of the music on old RAWs and Nitros are redone due to various issues with copyrights and whatnot, which ones are your most hated??

I personally hate the redo for DDP and im pissed Kronik didn't get their music either

1. Hate the alternate Ricky the Dragon Steamboat music

2. Hate that they changed the early Saturday Nights Main Event music to the later years music (not that the new one was bad at all, but that old music just reminds me of the times, and staying up late to see SNME)

3. They replaced Frank Sinatra's My Way in Rowdy Roddy Piper's first retirement vignette in 1987 I think. (They played it on SNME, Prime Time Wrestling, Superstars of Wrestling i believe)

I'l post more when I think of them.

-quote from Ultimate Warrior's HOF speech:

“You know, it’s WrestleMania 30, but you’re already working on 31 and you can damn sure bet that WrestleMania 75 is going to happen, when the founder and creator of this company isn’t even around anymore.” Well, I better take that back, Vince says he’s going to live forever.

I don’t know which entrance song redo I would consider the lamest, but during the time when Kanyon was imitating Diamond Dallas Page, he was using DDP’s entrance song...and the WWE didn’t edit it out. I just find that very funny.

One the I actually consider an improvement is Chris Jericho’s. I don’t even remember his WCW entrance music, but his WWE one is great.

Now that I think about it, I think Hollywood Hulk Hogan’s redo makes me mad the most. Voodoo Child is just a great song.

Here is a list of changed music I googled. They chopped up WM1 pretty bad, and I can't believe they removed Salt & Pepa's serenade rap for Bret Hart at WM11.

“Eye Of The Tiger” for Hogan

“Easy Lover” at Wrestlemania I

“Sirius” for Steamboat

They cut Steamboat’s entrance from Chi-Town Rumble!

Salt-N-Pepa remains dubbed and cut on Wrestlemania 11

“A Man Called Sting”

“Simply Ravishing” (WCW)

“Highway To Hell” at SummerSlam 1998 (VHS master version of the PPV)

Page’s WCW theme

Raven’s WCW theme

Jericho’s Evenflow knockoff theme

Jarrett’s “Cowboy” knockoff theme

“Voodoo Child” on WCW PPVs

Goldberg’s “Crush ‘Em”

Sting’s “Seek And Destroy”

“Sweet Home Alabama” at Armageddon (They play a knock off version)

“The Fight Song” at Invasion

“Cocky” at Royal Rumble 2002

“Feel So Numb” at No Way Out 2002

“Build A Bridge” at Survivor Series 2003

Sean O’Haire’s theme

Flair’s theme is still dubbed over on Backlash 2004

The Dudleyz Powerman 5000 song

“Walk Idiot” for Christy Hemme

“All The Things She Said” for Victoria

“Tattoo” for Maven

Sandman’s “Enter Sandman”

“Drones” at Royal Rumble 2007

“Powertrip” for No Way Out 2007

“There And Back Again” for Backlash 2007

“Whine Up” for SummerSlam 2007

“Chinese Democracy” for Armageddon 2008

You Gotta Move” for SummerSlam 2009 (Sounds like it was replaced with a different Aerosmith song)

“Ain’t No Grave” and “For Whom The Bells Toll” at Wrestlemania 27

I think on one episode of Saturday Night's main event from 1990 they dub over Rick Rude's theme. I always thought they had the rights to that???

It's a mystery to me who owns the rights to "Don't Go Messin With A Country Boy". Not only do they dub over it, but at the hall of fame they couldn't make an exception and have him come out to it. VERY disappointing!

Mine has to be during some of the ECW PPVs. The one that annoys me the most is I think during any New Jack match, his crappy canned redone music during the entire duration of the match. I actually have to FF these matches because it's so ridiculously annoying.

With Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat being my favourite all-time wrestler, I was disappointed that he doesn't have his theme music ("Sirius" From The Allan Parsons Project) on the Network or the DVDs.

I do however get it, as it is an actual commercial song. But why then play generic music for him, rather than his WCW theme, on the Network during WWE PPVs (I think his WCW theme is used in WCW PPVs on the Network, and in the video games, so they must have rights to it) but at WM3, in particular, they play some soulless generic music.

I'm glad I got to see WM3 live so I could see Ricky Steamboat be announced as new IC Champion, to the strains of "Sirius".

Another one I never got was with Demolition. Their entrance music was created by Jim Johnson, who does a lot of the themes, and was featured on the "Piledriver" album. Yet they play some other music. WWE wouldn't have to pay to use the music from an outside artist, so why not use their "Demolition" song from "Piledriver"?

With Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat being my favourite all-time wrestler, I was disappointed that he doesn't have his theme music ("Sirius" From The Allan Parsons Project) on the Network or the DVDs.

I do however get it, as it is an actual commercial song. But why then play generic music for him, rather than his WCW theme, on the Network during WWE PPVs (I think his WCW theme is used in WCW PPVs on the Network, and in the video games, so they must have rights to it) but at WM3, in particular, they play some soulless generic music.

I'm glad I got to see WM3 live so I could see Ricky Steamboat be announced as new IC Champion, to the strains of "Sirius".

Another one I never got was with Demolition. Their entrance music was created by Jim Johnson, who does a lot of the themes, and was featured on the "Piledriver" album. Yet they play some other music. WWE wouldn't have to pay to use the music from an outside artist, so why not use their "Demolition" song from "Piledriver"?

I agree that Steamboat's WM3 win was much better originally. The terrible music used now takes a little away from the moment. Anytime a theme is changed, even if it is a better song, I kind of wince. JYD's Grab Them Cakes (which I love!) replaces Queen's Another One Bites the Dust sometimes and I just can't stand it...even though I prefer the song they use. Just something about authenticity.

Regarding Demolition's theme, that was done by Rick Derringer. Granted, it was done for Demolition/WWF specifically, so I'm not sure how those rights work. But, I don't believe this goes on Jim Johnston's impressive resume.

I absolutely HATED that they redid the nWo theme for a while there but its been restored to its former glory, also its unfortunate that Voodoo Child cant be used either.

Some of the replacement themes are completely ridiculous too and do not fit the attitude of the original at all; like Sid in WCW.

Easily, without a question of a doubt its Diamond Dallas Page.

I get it. They had to. Kurt Cobain's estate and all that. But instead of canning in his WWE theme, they create some rip off of a rip off. It's maddening.

I don't know what kind of hoops they'd have to jump through but I loved the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' mix.

Honorable mention to 'Enter Sandman' of course, but that is simply copyright charges to Metallica that this new 'money saving' WWE doesn't want to pay.

Honorable mention to 'Enter Sandman' of course, but that is simply copyright charges to Metallica that this new 'money saving' WWE doesn't want to pay.

Oh yes, it's the money saving. No way could it be the incredibly expensive and time consuming process of procuring music rights. Especially for a band like Metallica, who probably charge a shit ton. This isn't even new. It's been happening for years. So nice job pulling that this is caused by the new money saving thing out of your ass.

Anyways, I hate the WWE dub for Hogan's Voodoo Child. Mostly because they could dub in freaking Real American and instead they chose to do a shit version of Voodoo Child. Baffling.

Anyways, I hate the WWE dub for Hogan's Voodoo Child. Mostly because they could dub in freaking Real American and instead they chose to do a shit version of Voodoo Child. Baffling.

...why would they put Real American in for Hollywood Hogan?? it'd sound really out of place

...why would they put Real American in for Hollywood Hogan?? it'd sound really out of place

I meant when he was in his 02 (03?) run. That's why I said his WWE dub but I can see why that wasn't clear. I do like that they dubbed the NWO music over Voodoo Child in WCW. While it still sucks that they had to, at least it fit what he was doing at the time.

Oh yes, it's the money saving. No way could it be the incredibly expensive and time consuming process of procuring music rights. Especially for a band like Metallica, who probably charge a shit ton. This isn't even new. It's been happening for years. So nice job pulling that this is caused by the new money saving thing out of your ass.

So, to recap, it ISN'T because of money saving but IS because it is too expensive and would cost "a shit ton".

Much like Yokozuna wasn't slow because he ate too much, he was slow because he was fat.

I meant when he was in his 02 (03?) run. That's why I said his WWE dub but I can see why that wasn't clear. I do like that they dubbed the NWO music over Voodoo Child in WCW. While it still sucks that they had to, at least it fit what he was doing at the time.

ahh i see what youre saying, yeah fair enough he was Hulk after WM 18 anyways lol

So, to recap, it ISN'T because of money saving but IS because it is too expensive and would cost "a shit ton".

Much like Yokozuna wasn't slow because he ate too much, he was slow because he was fat.

It isn't "new". He said this must be because of the NEW cost saving shit. This has been done forever. Come on man.

Anytime the audio or music is redone it's lame mostly because the music plays a huge part in our memory of an event we see the first time. WM14 was probably my personal favorite WM so it hurts that so much of the beginning was altered.

I already agreed with the person who said Steamboat. But, I had to come back and reemphasize. Originally, I was going off of memory. This weekend, I was watching WrestleMania III. This was the first Mania I saw live (on PPV, not in person) and I watched the tape hundreds of times afterwards. As I was watching this weekend--just because I felt like watching something familiar--I laughed that I still knew the commentary after all these years. As we got to the Steamboat/Savage match, I realized that although my memory of the original commentary and sounds of this PPV are still clear, there is one point where I knew a tweak was coming. And it came. And it was awful. During Steamboat's pre-match interview (which was great, along with Savage's) I knew exactly when the first note of the terrible replacement music would come in to interrupt him. I say interrupt him because it is ridiculously loud. Not "ridiculously loud" like a parent yelling at their kids to turn down the music. I mean in regards to playing over Steamboat's voice. The original music wasn't intrusive, yet this generic replacement garbage is?? The original music starting to play as his interview was winding down was AWESOME! It set the tone for his entrance and the match to come. It was a great part of this wonderful match. (And keep in mind, hundreds of viewings of a VHS put the original format in my mind and only 2 or 3 viewings since then have put this awful music in my memory, as I cringe like "ugh, here we go" right before it starts.)

Then, the end of the match is--I won't say ruined--but lessened by this same dreadful filler music. And it's loud again! Drowning out the commentary. Honest question--do they have to drown out the original music? I would think they could remove the original music and then simply add in this filler crap...at a low volume. But maybe that isn't possible on such old footage.

I don't want to come across as one of these people who act like they knew things before everyone else. I actually know a guy who thinks he started the "Jose Jose Jose" chants at Mets games. Nothing worse than someone who knew the celebrity back in high school, if you know what I mean. So, that isn't what I mean here. But, back before the internet, before forums, before really being able to talk to many people about wrestling--a lot of my friends didn't like it as much as I did--I overheard two kids talking about their favorite match. It might have been Hulk/Warrior from VI or something else, but I remember thinking then "I never thought about that...hmmm...I think Steamboat/Savage from Mania III." Yes, that match is on all of the lists now. But back then, there were no lists. I had never thought of it because there was nowhere to speak about it. My point in mentioning that is I had a special place for this match long before I realized how good it was historically. The build from Dragon's injury, his frustrating recovery, these two were going to BATTLE...and then Steele and Elizabeth thrown in as well. The pre-match interviews, the match itself....and the music! It was a beautiful package and, although many think commentary and music and atmosphere don't matter when discussing matches, I do. I think the overall feel is what makes it enjoyable. Not a wrestling clinic or false finishes. (Yes, this match had a million pin attempts, but that's not what I mean--I mean half a dozen finishers and kickouts of recent years.)

Anyway, like I said, I already "voted for" Steamboat's music, from memory, for lamest redone entrance music. But once I actually experienced it again, having forgotten about this thread, it all came back and I just had to say more. Haha. I mentioned in my earlier post that I prefer authenticity, even in the few instances when I prefer the redone song (JYD's Grab Them Cakes). I would rather see it how it was.

It's all down to that case Ventura won all those years back... once Vince had to pay royalties he wanted to own everything. On the odd occasion licensed music was used it cost him a lot of money and the license was covering all releases.

Some are odd, like Rick Rude's theme... they changed it to a crappy sounding version, even in the games... then seemed to bring back the old one when he went into the Hall of Fame.

I wonder if issues with Jim Johnston come into play with some of them, he didn't leave on the best terms and arguably they're not gonna want to keep paying him for those themes he did 30 years ago... Some of us will bitch and moan, but Youtube probably has an original version if we really need the proper music...

Personally the one I hate most other than the crappy Rude version is Big Bossman... Hard Time or GTFO...

ECW overdubs make sense for early stuff... ECW were using licensed (probably unlicensed) at the time... Sandman coming out to Enter Sandman? You think Heyman was paying Metallica for that when he wasn't paying his own talent? Was he fuck!

ECW overdubs make sense for early stuff... ECW were using licensed (probably unlicensed) at the time... Sandman coming out to Enter Sandman? You think Heyman was paying Metallica for that when he wasn't paying his own talent? Was he fuck!

Were you drunk when you wrote this response? Just curious because "Was he fuck!" makes no sense and you also seem pretty heated up, especially since the guy said he understands the reasoning.

Anyone know which releases contain the original music? Is it only the original PPV/TV versions? Do the Coliseum Home Video releases have the unedited music? The original DVD releases of WWF PPVs? What about ECW shows, do you have to find the originally aired versions or were there video releases that included the original music?

Sorry for the stream of questions, the music plays a massive part to the show for me and I am currently rewatching 2001 WWF and want to go back and watch WCW/ECW when I'm done so if I can find versions other than the ones on the network to watch I'll watch those instead.

The worst one for me is that awful music they gave hillbilly jim and later on the godwinns. Jim's music was such a iconic theme song and now it's just a generic hillbilly music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back