• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What's the deal w/ 2 Cold Scorpio always being a heart beat away from gold or glory?!

One to Remember

Championship Contender
It seems like every time I strum through ECW stats or results from WCW or the old NWA 2 Cold Scorpio is always popping up as some close call candidate for whatever. I know he was close to winning the tourney in ECW the night Douglas through down the belt anddered if it could had been his moment. I believe I have read about him in NWA title matches in WCW and taking on Sting and Rude and Flair. I know he was a multitime ECW TV champion, never even a Eastern Championship Wrestling hweavyweight champ though. I mostly know him from his days in the WWF as Flash Funk though. I am wondering what some of you other guys know about 2 Cold and what you think of him and if it was frustrating to always see this guy withen an arms reach of the hill top. His name has just always popped up in my reading so im asking you all now. He's like the forerunner to Kofi Kingston or something, when I think of him I think of how Snuka's face felt after he hit the mat for nothing that one famous time.

Give me your memories of his worst close calls.

Flash Funk was an incredible wrestler with a garbage gimmick during the start of the attitude era. That's all I can really say about the guy. I never saw (or at least remember) any promos from the guy, and it always seemed like he was a guy that deserved a push, but maybe he sucked on the mic? Not literally, that'd be gross, but you know what I mean. I don't understand it. He was pretty great to watch, even if he looked ridiculous in his spandex tights.

rd he flew pretty damn well. maybe like an adult sized mysterio, that has always been something good i heard about him. I just wish he had won an ECW title at some point.

I actually loved watching Scorpio. I thought he was really good in WCW. I thought he was a great combination of speed, agility, high flying and mat wrestling rolled into one. He reminded me in alot of ways of Randy Savage or Benoit, (more Savage than anything else). I'm not saying he had the same impact on the business as Randy did, clearly his career didn't have the highs Randy did, but he had similar abilities in the ring as Savage did. They could both fly and wrestle on the mat. In WCW, He was in a tag team with Bagwell, (wasn't too big a fan of that), he wrestled a program against Windham when he was a champ and his debut as Simmons partner was a real joy to watch. He had some great matches with Benoit in WCW as well.

When he went to WWE, he was horribly wasted. All they came up with for him was Flash Funk and the Job Squad. It was a bloody joke. He was really talented and WWE couldn't come up with better than that. I think it was just the politics that really kept him out of a higher card. I didn't see his career in ECW but have seen some of his stuff on the net and I have to be honest he really continued to do great work there to against Taz etc.

He really should have seen more success for all the talent he had (and probably still has).

Scorpio was always fun to watch back in the day. He had a pretty unique style, but, to me he never came across as a main eventer. I really can't pin point what it was, but I just felt as he was a solid mid-carder who really never seemed like he'd be in place in the main event.

I do think that given the right partner he would've flourished more in the tag team division. He was still a great talent regardless though.

Even now in the Indies, Scorpio is still always entertaining to watch. My guess is they just always felt he was better off as the guy chasing the belt instead of the winner. Still it would have been nice to see him get the gold at least once.

Scorpio has always been one of my favorite wrestlers, as I first saw him when he teamed with Marcus Bagwell. Watching his old ECW days reaffirmed how awesome he was. He flew around seemlessly as a high flyer, yet his size made him winning big matches credible. The only thing for me is that his charisma seemed fake or forced.

I could see him teaming with Kofi Kingston, as I definitely thing his forte would be tag wrestling. He's great singles, but his charisma makes him a candidate for tag team. Definitely always been one of my favorites.

Scorp was a great worker... very exciting to watch... and a good hand, but he really lacked the whole package to ever give him a real push.

He wasn't good on the mic. He didn't have a good look. For a guy with such an exciting arsenal in the ring, he still managed to be somewhat bland. And that exciting arsenal still seemed somewhat one dimensional. He could work great with guys that could compliment that style, but with others, he just seemed a little off.

If I was looking for a 2011 comparable, I'd say he reminded me a lot of an Evan Bourne. Exciting arsenal in the ring, but still not someone I'd ever go out of my way to watch... or ever consider as a top singles guy. Push him with the right partner with the proper mouthpiece though... and he becomes so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back