• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What WWE seems to be missing with debuts/returns.

FPSRussia

Dark Match Winner
Now, their lackluster debuts/returns as of late can be solved with one man.

Jim Ross.

Whenever a superstar would debut or return from an injury, Jim Ross would put them over big time, if not for their looks, for their actions.

At the current moment, the commentary is pretty boring and bland, no one seems to even care when someone hits a huge spot, or surprise reversal, sure, you have King sometimes saying, "Wow, did you see that!?", or something along those lines, but if it was Good Ol' J.R, you would think he just seen a man shit a double rainbow with a golden brick at the end.

Basically, what I'm saying here is, lately the commentary has been sub-par with the exception of CM Punk, and if they plan on starting to build their roster further, which I believe so, due to the not accepting anyone over 30 bollocks, I think they need someone to really step up and bring that excitement that JR had.

Agreed, Michael Cole needs to get offscreen. So sick and tired of his schtizophrenic mic work, one second he's got his head up heels asses and the anonymous GM, the next he's praising Cena while at the same time backing Nexus's attacks on him.

and it's not even once a show, it's like every friggin segment.

Matt Striker absolutely is D grade now, every single thing he sais is a fuck up
Todd Grisham and the other one are ok but they are only just getting into the swing of things.
and they don't even bother to go into any real history like JR would, then again with some people it's like last week was the start of the world and anything b4 that never happened or noone cares.

Also could add to that they constant errors in what they say about the talent and fuck ups. Once again i agree, it's like they don't even give a shit and know full well they have made a mistake.

What, are we watching TNA commentry now or something?

I actually used to like TNA's commentary, when Taz was throwing wise-cracks at everyone with the exception of his mother.

Michael Cole is a heel commentator, it's his job to annoy you, but I do agree, he does seem to go from one extreme to the other within a single segment, maybe every other show wouldn't be so bad, but segment, pft.

Doesn't it seem like everyone on the announce tables are either nerds... or Jerry Lawler? So is it a coincidence that announcing sucks right now? I think I like the announcing on Superstars the most because they actually call the match most the time as opposed to giddy expressions on the opening of the show. Back to my original point, these new guys are nerds- less-so Josh Mathews who used to be an aspiring wrestler, but the difference between them and J.R. is that J.R. didn't just see announcing as a job he's getting paid for. Wrestling, or WWF/E wrestling is his passion, and it showed... it still shows, the man still does nothing but talk about wrestling! Jerry Lawler is not much without him. He's bad as a face announcer and he doesn't have J.R.'s commentary to react to, and it seems like he doesn't get a long with anyone else. Maybe he should be the lead since he's the only wrestler left and he should know all the holds, but he rarely calls matches in a technical sense. I'm assuming this is a thread more about announcing than about returns or so it seems. The best WWE commentator besides JR was JBL, after that, Taz and some will disagree, but he and Michael Cole were a pretty decent team. I recently watched some FCW footage and that announce team is so much better than anything combination WWE is using in Raw, SmackDown, NXT or Superstars.
To tie this all in to the topic, if Michael Cole has the best announcing in WWE currently, how can they expect to have even a little of the effect that J.R. had? How do you think Regal would do at the table? I'm thinking a former wrestler will have to do, because what non-wrestler are they gonna find that loves and knows the business as much as J.R. did? Personally, I also believe Mike Adamle needed a little more time, and a lot of studying to know the wrestlers, and the moves, and he would make a good partner to someone with true passion for the business.

I agree, I would love to see JR back at the broadcast table with Jerry Lawler. Lawler is only as good as the people he works with is in my opinion. He was much better when JR was around, and that was before the PG rating went into effect. Those 2 together were 1 of my all time favorite duos.

Doesn't it seem like everyone on the announce tables are either nerds... or Jerry Lawler? So is it a coincidence that announcing sucks right now? I think I like the announcing on Superstars the most because they actually call the match most the time as opposed to giddy expressions on the opening of the show. Back to my original point, these new guys are nerds- less-so Josh Mathews who used to be an aspiring wrestler, but the difference between them and J.R. is that J.R. didn't just see announcing as a job he's getting paid for. Wrestling, or WWF/E wrestling is his passion, and it showed... it still shows, the man still does nothing but talk about wrestling! Jerry Lawler is not much without him. He's bad as a face announcer and he doesn't have J.R.'s commentary to react to, and it seems like he doesn't get a long with anyone else. Maybe he should be the lead since he's the only wrestler left and he should know all the holds, but he rarely calls matches in a technical sense. I'm assuming this is a thread more about announcing than about returns or so it seems. The best WWE commentator besides JR was JBL, after that, Taz and some will disagree, but he and Michael Cole were a pretty decent team. I recently watched some FCW footage and that announce team is so much better than anything combination WWE is using in Raw, SmackDown, NXT or Superstars.
To tie this all in to the topic, if Michael Cole has the best announcing in WWE currently, how can they expect to have even a little of the effect that J.R. had? How do you think Regal would do at the table? I'm thinking a former wrestler will have to do, because what non-wrestler are they gonna find that loves and knows the business as much as J.R. did? Personally, I also believe Mike Adamle needed a little more time, and a lot of studying to know the wrestlers, and the moves, and he would make a good partner to someone with true passion for the business.

Personally, I'd love for Jericho to come back as an announcer and occasional wrestler, I remember when Jericho was easily the funniest guy to work the stick, and I'm sure he could still throw around one liners like it was nothing.

All the announcers in WWE honestly suck right now, with the exception of Matt Striker, he's ok. Josh Mathwees and Todd Grisham should be nothing more than interviewers. You need to have an exciting voice behind that announce table. JR was one of those voices. They need to find more enthusiastic announcers. Who can forget when Christian returned and Grisham said "It's Christian". Really?? If that was JR, he would've made Christian look like Stone Cold.

Back to the original point, I thought building up Ezikiel Jackson and then having him return as part of the core, rather than in a debut match scenario was a good idea that worked. He looked strong and I think the smackdown announce team did a good job in making it an exciting moment

I completely agree that Jim Ross is the man for debuts and returns.
For example.

At the Survivour Series 2001 when The WWF(At the time) had won the match, Jim Ross was hyping the victory so much that it made it real.

He has the passion to hype anyone and anything that is in the WWE.

Completely agree on needing JR. There are 2 very sad situations going on at the announcers table right now.

WWE started a feud between King and Cole that they expect to culminate at WM when everyone watching just wants Lawler to take his head off every night. It feels like they are sending off Lawler and his career in ring and in booth will be over soon.

The second sad thing is the pathetic kind of sad. Does anybody else realize that the 3 week stint of CM Punk on the mic was some of the best commentating we've seen since JR left. WWE pays guys like Striker, Cole, Matthews who are supposed to do voice work for a living. Don't they know that most of the best announcers are ex wrestlers. Lawler, Ventura, JBL, to a lesser extent, Taz, and so on.

If they aren't going to bring back JR, and they are moving on from Lawler, they need to do something better than having Cole on every show.

Surprise Element! The tell when someone is coming back to boost ratings, but for the fans that sucks! Dont tell us, Surprise us! I used to love when WCW started surprising us every other week with new members of the NWO!

Cole absolutely sucks. They wanted him so badly to be embraced as the new JR and when he wasn't they made him this strange kind of heel who is just annoying so Vince can think that he is controlling the audience. Someone said that he's a heel and supposed to be annoying. Just b/c he is what they are intending him to be doesn't make it a sucess. That only happens when what they are intending is actually good and makes sense. Who wants the voice of every single hour of every single show & ppv be one thats supposed to annoy you? A heel wrestler will eventually fight, win or lose, then on to the next segment. We're stuck with this guy the entire time.

Vince will never bring back JR. He is not a fan of the elderly and even less of a fan of the overweight. For as good as he was I don't thing Vince ever liked him and probably hated that he was so popular.

If I had my way the commentating team would be Joey Styles & JBL. Joey also had a lot of passion and seemed like he really cared about what was going on and JBL reminded me a lot of The Body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back