• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What wrestling moves are now defunct?

simonhirst

Dark Match Winner
With wrestling evolving through time, the style of wrestling has had to adapt with these changes. Action is much more fast paced than technical based and I was wondering what moves are no longer used. I'll start off with two moves that aren't used anymore and if they are, its very rare.

The piledriver
The mexican surfboard (was it surfboard or mexican surfboard?)

What other moves are now defunct and which would you like to see again?

I will also add that the Atomic Drop hasn't been seen in years, either. I honestly can't recall the last time I have seen that move done, as it is assumingly viewed as too comical.

When was the last time you saw someone do a regular old powerbomb? theres a corner powerbomb and a last ride and Swaggers' gutwrench... but no good ol' powerbomb. I love that move.

ive seen a few piledrivers in recent history... umm shawn hit cena with one on the steps at WM 23... and i saw dreamer hit one on someone on ECW a few months ago.

..but, a long time ago, the heel would do the hidden foreign object bit, where he would make sure the audience got a good look at it, but the ref didn't see it. Abdullah the Butcher was a master at it, and so was George The Animal Steele, boy, did the fans eat that up, screaming at the ref and going ballistic when the face got hit with the object, I guess the Titantron killed that bit.

i think one lost move is one of my favorites. The texas cloverleaf it is a great submission move and nobody uses it. i dont know if you have to ask for permission from dean or what but damn somebody use it please

When was the last time you saw someone do a regular old powerbomb? theres a corner powerbomb and a last ride and Swaggers' gutwrench... but no good ol' powerbomb. I love that move.

ive seen a few piledrivers in recent history... umm shawn hit cena with one on the steps at WM 23... and i saw dreamer hit one on someone on ECW a few months ago.

didn't Batista do a regular powerbomb to either Cody Rhodes or DiBiase this past Monday?

besides that, i don't really think i've seen a regular powerbomb in a while.. unless you count Nash's Jackknife :)

The full nelson....the last wrestler to regularly use that move was billy jack haynes I think. Him and hercules had the battle of the full nelson one year if I remember correctly. lol.

Piledriver-Undertaker still uses it.

Atomic Drop is one of HBK's signature moves. He used it in the sequence of his comeback.

Batista has started using regular powerbombs.

Christian uses a Cloverleaf on occasion.

Full Nelson-Chris Masters.

Well u don't really see the sleeper nearly as much. U used to see it like 10 times in a match now every 10 matches u might see it once. I know we still see it but im saying not as much. Another one is the Boston Crab. No one really does this if you don't count the walls of jericho. I haven't seen atomic drops or piledrivers either maybe every couple years but other than shwns inverted version of the atomic drop (which we don't see im wrestle much anymore and don't really see that anyway) and Undertakers tombstone which is and inverted piledriver we don't see them much.

Bob Backlund's crossfaced chicken wing was fantastic, and pretty legit too. Love those old submission maneuvers. I wish I never see another slingshot/catapult ever again. The most ridiculous move in wrestling history.

I will also add that the Atomic Drop hasn't been seen in years, either. I honestly can't recall the last time I have seen that move done, as it is assumingly viewed as too comical.

I'm guessing you havent watched a Shawn Michaels match in awhile lol.

Well in the WWE the piledriver, vertebreaker, 450 splash are all apparently not allowed.

I remember the schoolboy, backslide and roll ups were used a lot more often and had a much higher success rate.

Classic heel moves like the eye rake, low blow and others were used a lot more often.

Im not even going to get into submissions.

I haven't seen a decent Tiger bomb or crucifix powerbomb in WWE for ages. The Torture Rack is another one, as well as a bog standard reverse DDT, and not the falling one Christain does.

The steel claw hasn't been seen since Barry Windham hung up his boots. That move was a staple of Von Erich family wrestling (and Windham).

The vertebreaker was just sick looking, and honestly looked it would just kill somebody. Vince outlawed, but I would swear I've seen somebody using it in TNA, I just can't remember who.

And am I the only person who misses that craptastic finisher known as the Million Dollar Dream?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back